Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras, Aerial Views

stiletto_33853

Andy,

These aerials have all come from a 14th Division Officers personnel effects. The 14th Division went through the lower part of the Harp in the Arras offensive with the 42nd Brigade on the 14th Divisions left wing detailed for the lower part of the Harp. These from the 14th Divisions War Diary.

Andy

post-1871-1208082178.jpg

Andy - my thanks as well for a fantastic set of photographs.

Andy - thanks to you for starting to match the photos up with maps.

Jim

Thanks again Andy, I have a big interest in this area due to 5/K.S.L.I. there.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thought that you might have an interest in the area with the KSLI.

Fritz,

Another one for you.

Andy

post-1871-1208108044.jpg

Hello Andy,

just back from a short trip to Black Forest.

Really great your thread. Fantastic aerial pics and maps. I wonder that this documents can be admired even today. Very valuable this all.

With this post I want to thank you for kindness to present your stuff here. It will need some time to analyse this material exactly and to put it together with my own results.

Andy (Havrincourt) and Jim perhaps you can help to describe the meaning of this pics, their relation to Neuville-Vitasse. At first sight it looks a little abstract.

See you later!

Fritz

Hi Fritz,

The maps that I have placed here are all from the 14th Divisions War Diary, if you feel that any of these are of any use let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

Andy

Hello Andy , Fritz

Here is a first effort showing Telegraph Hill on 51b N7, hard getting them to fit into 100kb, I will try with trench maps later

Andy

post-10939-1208079955.jpg

Thank you, Andy. Just what I mean, to translate the pics in other views!

Fritz

Hi Fritz,

Maybe this will give you a little help as to relation to Neuville Vitasse. The Harp is at the top of the picture with Neuville Vitasse towards the bottom. The central area marked in the box is the 14th Division and underneath it the 56th Division.

Andy

post-1871-1208118041.jpg

Thankful to participate to all your treasures.

Fritz

Fritz,

Not sure if this is of use to you. It shows the barrage map for the Harp, right down the Cojeul Switch and Neuville Vitasse.

Andy

post-1871-1208192648.jpg

Hello Andy,

thank you for this map. Yes it is of interest. It is incredible but now after 90 years I am able to say when my GF was bombarded by British artillery!

Never knew that artillery-fire was planned so exactly as it looks here.

Would be nice to get this map to my email-address.

Kind regards

Fritz

Andy

You are a star for all this material. Fritz and I have been working this area some time now and this is superb material to add to the work put in so far. One question to post 33 is your description of what the map is of. The lines on the map seem to cut the lines of attack of 14th and 56th divisions. I can't work out what they signify.

Sorry Fritz if I'm not being quick in getting maps to photos but school is a little pressing at the moment and I know you understand that!

Jim

Hello Jim,

duty before fun!

I thought to be ready with my "book" of N V. But now I see so much splendid material that I want to make it new.

Some of the aerial pics seams to be a little miraclous. I am not trained to read this photos. So I shall need some time for analyse them.

Kind regards to Bückeburg

Fritz

Fritz,

Barrage map all sent.

Jim,

This area is of great interest to me with my interest in the 14th Division, well certain units of it. I have all the Divisional reports as well as quite a few Corps reports. The lines you mention are the 14th Division's objectives, the two long ones are the Divisional Boundaries. Hope this helps.

Andy

Good to see that they did not attacked my GF`s Regiment frontally but slided into the German lines at the side. So the Brits reached the rear of their enemy and could burst open the connection between the German units.

Fritz

Fritz,

Presumably your grandfather was somewhere along the Cojeul Switch ????

Andy

Yes in Telegraph Hill Trench near Mull Lane, in German K2-Graben for Kampfgraben 2 the second line.

Fritz

Fritz,

Thats a long trench, all the way from the Telegraph Work down to the right of Neuville Vitasse, right down the left (as we look at the maps) of the Cojeul Switch.

Andy

Andy, Jim, Fritz

I will be working on somemore of those map comparisons this week, almost got started tonight , but her indoors had other plans for me <_<

Andy, I like the barrage map, any chance of a larger view, maybe top half and then bottom

Thanks

Andy

Hello Andy,

yes a long trench. The northern part a Telegraph Hill was occupied by I.R. 162. From N V to the north for ca. 700 m there was the section of my GF`s I.R. 163.

You will find Mull Lane (in German Pionierweg) easily.

For more look into this thread

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz,

Another map tha might help you a little.

Andy

post-1871-1208264705.jpg

Hello Andy,

yes it is of interest. The informations of your map correspond with this map which shows the drawing-up of London Rangers.

Can you please send me this one as email?

Regards

Fritz

Sorry to be a right pain Andy (33853 variety) but I am still confused (bear of little brain) by the long lines in that first map. The divisional boundaries I have have an orientation such as shown on the artillery map in the following post with N-V attacked by 56th Div. The first map has the lower line cutting straight through N-V.

My brain hurts - its nearly 10 local time and I have to go and organise recording of Waking the Dead. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for enlightenment.

Jim

P.S. It's great to find more and more people interested in this area. Put Arras into a search and you find far too few threads.

Fritz,

This is a vastly reduced map, Neuville-Vitasse VII Corps Intelligence Map showing hostile activity 9/3/17. Hope it comes out alright for you.

Andy

Hello-would just like to join the chorus of thanks for putting these out - very useful.Am doing some research for a friend,whose Grandfather,Herbert Howard Crocker,was killed in an attack on Neuville Mill with the 1st bn. London Regiment on 7th(sic) April 1917.trying to find exact location.

thanks again,Andy.

Jim,

You are absolutely right, the 56th did take Neuville-Vitasse, the attached map shows the 14th & 56th Divisions routes, the 14th suffered from fire from Neuville on the way to Wancourt, going the whole length of the Cojeul Switch, and linked up with the 56th on the Neuville-Vitasse/Wancourt road.

I have the 56th and 14th Division orders and reports if you need them, plus most of the 14th Divisions units war diaries. Just trying to dig up some more maps for you at the moment.

Andy

post-1871-1208291701.jpg