Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

And finally three photos to remind us that while Mr Watson was travelling the Western Front in 1938 to record the remains of the Great War, the storm clouds of war were gathering again.

post-366-1237465937.jpg

post-366-1237466473.jpg

post-366-1237465851.jpg

What an outstanding and deeply interesting thread, great stuff. I agree with Paul, it certainly looks like Armentieres. Great thread.

Andy

• Admin

Armentieres agreed or maybe Bailieul?

Michelle

Hello, a good afternoon from North of France.

Yes, it's Bailleul, vieuw to the direction of Meteren.

Sorry for my Alzheimer language. Your friendly philypres.

The first second I saw the photo I was sure for 99% it was Bailleul (Belle) indeed, even before I saw what Philypres wrote. (But I must say I am not very familiar with the centre of Armentières).

After seeing his posting I am sure for more than 99%. ;)

Aurel

Bob and Ian,

Thank you for the time and effort you must have put into this thread. Another enlightening project would appear to have concluded. Mr. Watson would surely have hoped that his pictures would benefit later generations. They certainly have with me.

Phil.

• Admin

Glad that my grey cells are still working :blink:

Michelle

Some nice pictures there.

I am intrigued by the OP in the mill at Puisieux.......it looks relatively unscathed to be at this location, and the Germans were not in the vicinity in September 1917. As the date is specific...15/09/1917....could it be elsewhere?

There was Puisieux farm near Moy (St Quentin), close to front line, British held in late '17, but I'm not sure Watson went down there. There was also a mill at Baizieux, near Henencourt, concreted by British spring 1918, but I don't think it's that one.

I'll try and make some enquiries, any info/thoughts meanwhile welcome.

Ian , as suspected the mill picture is not Puiseaux....it is Puzeaux Mill, further south near Chaulnes.

I made an enquiry to a French friend, who said he thought Puzeaux......looking up 20 Years After (p. 575, supplementary volume), the same photo apears, as Puzeaux.

Probably a spelling/filing mistake by Watson.

Regards, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

A while ago Bob G. sent me this pic of the Watson collection.

Assignment : find where that is in Ypres.

My reaction : piece of cake ... :rolleyes:

Aurel

post-92-1238523457.jpg

The wide road ... the slight bend ...

And most of all the three towers, with from left to right :

St.-Jacobskerk

Belfry of the Cloth Hall

St. Martin's Cathedral ...

And sure, it was indeed the Menin Road, near the "water tower" (Not in my photo, just to the left of it.)

I made sure that 2 of the tops of the spires (St.-Jacobskerk and the Cathedral) are a little bit visible.

The building with the black roof on the left (flats) was built some 10 years ago if I remember correctly, replacing the new building in the B/W photo.

Aurel

post-92-1238523743.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Fascinating pictures, I believe there was three bunkers at Alberta Farm designated AII 60, 61 and 62. AII 60 being called Alberta. I have a War Diary that states, “Latter similarly distributed in THE BUND, a large concrete structure near ALBERTA FARM, & CANOPUS TRENCHES”, does anyone have any idea which one is The Bund.

Thurlows book 'The Pill-boxes of Flanders' can be viewed here:-

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/document/9245?REC=2

Best regards

Colin

I thank all who have contributed to this thread.

It's amazing!

Did we ever come up with a Borry Farm shot?

Cheers Shelley

• 3 months later...

Should this thread be transferred to "Classic Threads"?

• 10 months later...
Hi

A few more of Mr. Watsons photos.

Frezenberg, Zonnebeke.

post-366-1236796722.jpg

I was just looking through this excellent 'old' post and came across the picture in post 182 and wonder if anyone can identify the location. Is it possible to get a modern picture, please?

Bernard

Bernard P., thank you for resurrecting this thread. I had forgotten all about it and it's made me dive back into my dusty old 20 Years After series. I spent a nice part of the afternoon going through these photos on the Forum. Lovely to see. What an interesting time it would have been to have visited these areas in the 20's and 30's.

(A pity there were not more photos of Mrs Watson, I might add. Poor woman seemed to have to spend the whole time poking her head into bunkers. Mr. Watson seemed to want to only capture her behind.)

• 1 year later...

I have an envelope that has what I think is the word HAISHE written by Mr Watson upon it. There are four negatives, does anyone know where this may be ?

post-18171-0-25075800-1324680247.jpg

I have an envelope that has what I think is the word HAISHE written by Mr Watson upon it. There are four negatives, does anyone know where this may be ?

post-18171-0-28406800-1324911456.jpg