Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

I am the custodian of these negatives and as such they are free to use by anyone at all.........Bob

That is very kind of you Bob, I will with permission add the two Peckham Crater photos from the other thread to my Flickr photoset on the war underground and of course credit you. Any problems with this just let me know.

Regards

Norman

Question to Peter (Mebu).

About my photo in # 269.

That brick building with the concrete roof ... It looks so "modern", I mean the bricks. Making me wonder : is this post-war ? I don't know what to think, but considering the other poor structures nearby... Yet, the concrete roof ...

Were military structures (often) made of bricks ?

Aurel

Aurel, I don't know that structure in the photo, but I can't see why anyone would build there other than for protection during the war.

Brick buildings/shelters were not that unusual, I suppose it depends on the skill levels within the RE companies in that sector, and the availability of materials.

For example, here are some British pill boxes of similar construction, brickwork with a concrete roof(not Ypres area, but Bac St Maur)

Regards Peter

post-2649-0-62758500-1325881307.jpg

post-2649-0-67191200-1325881330.jpg

Thanks, Peter, for your reply, and the photos.

I was also wondering because the brick structure in my photo looks quite "nice". (Not to modern standards of course, but I mean : the windows, that thin concrete beam from left to right for the window sills,.... I guess the R.E. there must have been skillful indeed.)

This here is another photo I found in my collection, but I must say I don't recall ever having seen it, though (since 1974) I passed that spot (between Boezinge and Ypres) twice a day. It must have disappeared before 1974. Those who know the area will remember that approx. 100 meters north of Essex Farm Cemetery and the John McCrae site, there are several buildings now of 'Lakebos". Maybe it was there.

Aurel

post-92-0-78438400-1325929821.jpg

Hello Aurel, interesting photo.

Not sure of the land height, but from the look of the structure and the obvious damage, could this be from the other (German)side of the canal, maybe to the north of Boesinge?

Regards Peter

Peter,

I really have no idea ...

The text says : "Vers / Naar / Towards Boesinghe".

And somehow I had interpreted : "near the road Ypres to Boezinge". But of course, maybe it could be on the right (east, German) bank of the canal, but then, as you say : north of Boezinge (somewhere near the lock or Steenstrate). But then, "towards" Boezinge maybe doesn't make much sense ...

And I must say I had not paid attention to the damage. (By the way, does it look German or Allied to you ?)

There is a line of trees (and a road) at the horizon, to the left side, but I have no idea whether this could be the road Ypres - Boezinge, which is west of the canal, or the Pilkemseweg, which is east of the canal.

Puzzling ...

Aurel

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I would be so quick to weld that pick the gent digging in the photo... would be nervous about ordnance I think. Then again I guess life has to go on.

VR

Great thread. Thanks to all contributors. I've only just spotted it and spent the last 20 minutes going through it. What hasn't been said - unless I have missed it - is anything about the quality of Watson's photographs. I assume all are from existing, uncroppednegatives. The composition, exposure values and etc are extremely good. Was he a pro? Equally check the edge definition of the pictres - a great test. He was using a very good camera. No Box Brownie here.Pics a real treat. Comments showing the high level of expertise in the ranks. Anoracks of the the world unite, we could change the world. Thanks guys.

Regardezes

David

• 4 years later...

Hello all.

Thought i would have a look back at one of the first threads I followed as a new member to the Forum. 

Still of great interest and full of really good images. Well worth a viewing.

How time has flown .

Cheers all.

Gary.

• 5 months later...

One of my favourite ever threads, nice to see it again.

I've just spent a very happy half an hour reading this outstanding thread; I can't imagine I'd have stumbled on it otherwise. Thanks to all the posters, and to Mick for bringing it to the top of the pile.

Pete.

I second that, a fascinating thread.

Mike.

Well, only to say : "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" ...

No, I am not a U2 fan.

I am only referring to the bunker photo in my posting # 278.

I am sure I pass the location more than a dozen times a week, but unsuccessfully.   :-(

Aurel

• 2 years later...
On 02/01/2012 at 14:47, stripeyman said:

Peter

Another view further away, it does not look like there is a bridge over this 'river' so it is probably a pond.

post-18171-0-94805600-1325511480.jpg

I have to look it up, but it reminds me of Spilleken Hof.

Jan

I will take my time and sift through these my friend once I get my new computer installed tomorrow. Many thanks for your help.

Yours Aye!

Charlie McDonald

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 08/03/2009 at 10:44, Ian C said:

Sorry, didn't realise that Madagascar hadn;t worked!!

post-366-1236509025.jpg

Hi, are these buildings in front of Corons de Pekin which would make the hedge on the horizon the railway line spur? Or is there another Madagascar?

2div.jpg

• Admin

There’s a cite Madagascar which is a garden city of miners houses but there might be more Madagascar’s. The photo doesn’t look much like the Loos area to me. 

Hi Michelle, I tend to agree as I can't see how they could be constructed with the front lines being so close to each others. Unless they were already there pre war? related to the mines and/or brickworks? Regards, Ste M.

Madagascar was north of Arras, as marked on the attached map, square 26d. 1342926386_madagascmap.jpg.00821d57e444398ac452a1f653065c67.jpg 4 large gun shelters were still existing after the war. One has a large "GR"  cast, the other a RA cast.

pics 

madag.jpg

madagasc.jpg

madagascar.jpg

If it is this Madagascar, just north of Arras, there is probably not a lot left sadly ...

image.png.5167bbd7043b5c4c79cb0b972ea54e53.png

• 6 months later...
On 20/02/2008 at 14:30, stripeyman said:

This is W4, you can see Mrs Watson on the right.

post-18171-1203514097.jpg

Still very very happy with this! Our bunker from Pondfarm and the buildings are still here! A shame some pictures where lost, maybe he had a picture of the outside of our hospital bunker?. it was on the otherside of this one and 42m length! And i just can't find a pic of it!! :-(

In attachment a photo of our bunker now, it's last segment on this pic. I have cleaned the room inside also!

kaserne_Haeseler_edit.jpg

bunker_soldaten.jpg

Bunker_Logo_Edit.jpg

On 29/02/2008 at 00:38, stripeyman said:

The envelope states that this is Pond Farm, probably some part that that was demolished. Note the German helmet and British water bottle.

No doubt of interest to the presnt residents of that place................Bob Grundy

post-18171-1204241716.jpg

If anyone coud find something about this bunker.... i have gave up hope to find the outside pic of this Kazerne Haeseler bunker! :-)

Hospitaal_Bunker_Logo.png

Hospital bunker_tekening_grondplan.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, T, Fazzini said:

GR and RA stand for...???

its actually GVR - I assume as in George 5th and RA - again an assumption that it’s Royal Artillery