Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

Not wishing to overface everyone with these I will post this series of Watson photographs (I have no negatives of them) over the next week.

They will be all under this same topic. They do not have an envelope so their locaction is for the time being a mystery, but not for long with

you lot veiwing them !

A word about all this stuff. On Christmas Day morning 2004 we had a burglary and the packet containing Mr Watsons collection of photographs and negatives were stolen. Luck was on our side and and neighbour found them scattered about 100yds away. Most were recovered but I recall that a

few were missing, a loss to us all.

I do appreciate your interest and knowledge..............Bob Grundy

post-18171-1203115648.jpg

Hi Bob - for some reason, I didn't realise it was you! These photos are superb - will you do something with them? Perhaps in ST! It has been most interesting seeing them here.

Hi Bob - for some reason, I didn't realise it was you! These photos are superb - will you do something with them? Perhaps in ST! It has been most interesting seeing them here.

A mere JNCO communicating with a Major General, where will it end ?????

There are some possibilities with these, I am encouraged by the interest and response even though they are not wartime shots.

Your suggestions re Stand To! would be welcome.

Cheers

Bob

Don't know this one.....obviously a biggie. Possibly Alberta from a different angle?. It must have taken some effort to demolish.

Would be interested if anyone else can identify.

Regards Peter

The two bunkers named W1 by Bob were standing near the B II 1.

Cane someone place this (I suppose in the St-Julien or Langemark area)?

Added on 26/2/08:

The two bunkers named W1 by Bob were standing near the B II 1 (near Vancouver Corner).

They are showing the B II 2 and 3

Robert

W6 is the last of the actual photographs of which there are no negatives available.

Not the small boy at extreem right.

post-18171-1203809317.jpg

Bob - these are really excellent images, and I hope you will think about publishing them in ST! or elsewhere. I am sure Jon Cooksey would be keen to use them?

I was clearing out my office/computer room where I came across a Bunker Map of the Ypres Salient I will attach a scan. The map is dated 1933. In the Key it states " Each pillbox has been allotted a number, which has been marked on the pillbox itself. The pillboxes are divided into groups which are shown by the Roman nemerals" Where the map came from I haven't a clue.

John

post-1365-1203855847.jpg

John, the map is from "The PillBoxes of Flanders" by Thurlow, pub 1933. Thurlow developed his numbering system, but unfortunately surveyed only a small number of the many then existing. The line of 60 odd in the centre was the subject of discussion/identification a little while ago. Regards, Peter.

PS Bob I agree with Paul, these would make a splendid article or series in Stand To. Are these the same negatives which were held by Harry (sorry can't remember his surname but used to attend Cambridge WFA meetings about 20 years ago) ? If so they are certainly a good collection. Regards Peter.

Yes ! thats the chap ! I also cannot remember his surname but I recall that he had or his son had a house near Ovillers. he said that the photos and negs were given to him my one of his daughters after a chance meeting on park bench. He possibly lived near Milton Keynes ?

Another one of the collection shows him with his family outside near a caravan.......Bob Grundy

Bob - these are really excellent images, and I hope you will think about publishing them in ST! or elsewhere. I am sure Jon Cooksey would be keen to use them?

Yes I do agree they need a wider audience, I will get more of them onto this GWF. Jon will be contacted in due course.........Bob

Are you talking about Harry Canvin?

All we need is the trigger and you have supplied it, his name 'was' or I hope 'is' Harry Canvin.

Todays selection are two views of a very long bunker, Mrs watson in attendance to give it some scale......Bob Grundy

post-18171-1203979787.jpg

Here we have (I hope) the view of the long bunker, A11 62. I have to mention that this is what is on the envelope and may not be the actual

number of the bunker, normaly we can assume that it is correct.......Bob Grundy

post-18171-1203981763.jpg

Yes Paul, it was Harry Canvin, sorry I couldn't remember his surname. Glad to hear he's still doing well. If I remember correctly his son was doing a lot of work on 1st Lincolns.

The last photo looks quite similar to....but not the same as?....the one to the west of St Julien which Thurlow numbered AII 61. It is marked as Hackney Villa on a map, if I remember after the London Regiment who took it or used it. Marked as Caserne on German maps? The 2 shots showing Mrs W look like a longer construction.....wonder if it was partly demolished to leave the remaining bit?

Just checked a note....says it originally had 8 cells, of which 4 - with the rear wall intact in parts - still remain.

Can't be certain it's the same one. Interesting.

Regards, Peter.

Bob,

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

The two pictures are indeed showing the AII 62, but they have to be mirrored (the bunker stands exactly 191 m from where I'm typing now :D ).

BunkerLieven2c.jpg

The left part ( A; where the lady is standing) was still there in the 1960's (I played there as a child). Now it's gone

The middle part ( B )was dismantled in the 1950's to recuperate the iron.

The right part ( C ) is still there. Part C is app. 2/3 of A+B

a5.jpg

Roger (the man on the picture) is standing at the entrance of the first room of part C

Some more pictures on Kaserne 2 Herzog Albrecht

Show us more of these pictures Bob!