Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment

westkent78

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Skipo said:

Very interesting thread.

Can anyone help with where the 2/23rd was on 10-12 October 1916? I'm researching a man who received a GSW to his arm on one of these three days and treated initially at the 42nd CCS.

Any help gratefully received as I cannot locate the War Diary on TNA's search engine for some reason.

Best,

Skip

The war diary for the 2/23 in France until November 1916 at TNA is here 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355295

and here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355295

Rather than tag on to an old thread if you are making an enquiry about an individual soldier we always suggest a new thread in the Soldiers sub forum otherwise it can get very confused.

good morning,

23/2 is on Vimy Ridge area.
the cantonments is located on Mont St Eloi.

regards

michel

Thanks for the replies. They way I'm reading it is that they manned trenches at Ecurie the night before going into the firing line (night of 9-10 October), for practice sake. They then relieve the 2/21st Londons in the 'firing line' (no further locational details) on the 10th. From their previous stint I'm assuming this was in the same trenches, these being forward of Etrun with the only wounded men (plus one killed) being noted in the diary as being from an enemy bombardment on the 11th.

Very grateful to kenf48 for posting the links to the diaries as I couldn't find them by searching Discovery, but I'd be very grateful for opinions from those with other sources on whether I have the location and circumstances correct from the diary.

Best,

Skip

• 10 months later...
On 04/04/2018 at 16:36, clk said:

Hi Chris,

I have just stumbled upon you're messages related to the Military Cross my Great Grandfather Reginald Caley was awarded.  I have only recently inherited these medals from my father so I am just starting to piece together his story but I have his original medals for the account you have detailed below.  I'd be very interested to hear any other information you might have on him as I am only just starting this journey.
Cheers
Andy

On 04/04/2018 at 16:36, clk said:

His hand annotated MC citation...

image.png.9234a642062ff7fde8480da8b5dc9513.png

Image Source: The National Archives - file WO 389/4

Regards

Chris

20240304_124626.jpg

20240304_124647.jpg

Just for the record I have the following medals.

703656 PTE. A. TOOMBS. 23-LOND. R.    BWM, victory pair

584 CPL. P. CHAPPELL. 23-LOND. R.    victory medal

742 L. CPL. F.C. HUGHES. 1914/5 trio  -  the 1914/5 star designated 23-LOND. R., the victory medal to 23.BN. CO. LOND. R. and the BWM to 23 BN. CO. LOND. R.