Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VERDUN

Malte Znaniecki

Very interesting and a great find Paul, would you be able to scan some pics?

Surely,

Though few of the others are of much interest. Most are of unknown staff officers of 5. armee.....

Paul

Before I start my next series of photographs ...

some links to Videos on the Battle of Verdun, found on YOU TUBE ...

1. German TV film on Verdun: DIE HÖLLE VON VERDUN (Hell of Verdun) - ZDF-Doku

Intro (animation)

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wr0eFr__A

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjpAH6w4mfk

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYachHcw0U

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oX3Kbk6FU

Part 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIXXJR8c2CY

Part 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j8dYryffo

Part 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt40tpauQ-Y

Part 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV4D8a4fJgs

Part 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7nCSyyGzR8

2. German video film: Verdun 1914-1918 - Auf den Spuren des 1. Weltkriegs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgjgRDbAYQ

3. British TV documentation (BBC - Channel 4 ?): The Battle of Verdun

4. British TV documentation: Verdun

5. Dutch or Flemish video film: Trip to Verdun in France (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ci6KaxBffQ

6. Dutch or Flemish video film: Trip to Verdun in France (part 2)

7. French video: Bataille de Verdun

to be continued ...

Surely,

Though few of the others are of much interest. Most are of unknown staff officers of 5. armee.....

Paul

Ahh, ok Paul, happy to leave it to your discretion. :)

Malte,

Just noticed something odd about that photo and call me 'Mr Picky' but the German behind the Infanterieschild has it technically the wrong way round... ;)

Friedhelm,

That's a wonderful photo of Fort Douaumont in 1917. I've never seen it before. Thank you for posting it.

Christina

Friedhelm,

That is one of the best pictures I have ever seen of Douaumont! Thanks for posting it. Has anyone saw this one before?

post-19-1107162667.jpg9573:Verdun_3.jpg]

Hello

As well as being interested in the First World War, I also collect film memorabilia and thought that this might be of some interest. The photos are from the film pressbook publicising Leon Perrier's film "Verdun", filmed on the site of the battlefield in 1927/28 not only with actual artillery/weaponry from the battle itself but also (if the pressbook is to be believed - film publicity does not have a great history of adherence to truth!) with the participation of veterans from the actual fighting at Verdun. One of the stills is definitely the same as pictured earlier in the thread so I guess that some of the other "action" photos could also be from the same source.

Martin

post-24960-1191960004.jpgpost-24960-1191959973.jpg

post-24960-1191959136.jpg

post-24960-1191959561.jpg

Yes, you're right, Martin. I have a copy of the film, which is indeed said to have been made with the participation of veterans. It's comes over as incredibly old fashioned but I suppose it was cracking stuff ten years after the battle. Any photos that show men running over what looks like heavily shelled ground are either from the film or are reconstructions. It was impossible to run anywhere in the front lines at Verdun because the ground was too soft - heavy shelling turned it into such fine soil that it just slipped and moved under the feet (when it wasn't turned into mud like rain). One of the veterans' complaints was that no one who had not been up to the front could ever understand how it was only possible for troops to cover one kilometre in an hour at Verdun. The photos are generally too clean too - men too clean and not enough debris, particularly of the smashed sort. Every photo I've ever seen of the front lines during 1916 is a huge mess of every sort of debris. The stills are just too clean.

Christina

I did a search on Léon Poirier and his film VERDUN. The DVD of the film is still available - a fact I did not know since I am not from the VERDUN-site but more from Flanders. But since I started this topic with stuff from my home which I have ignored for many years, my interest in Verdun got aflamed.

I would very much appreciate an answer to this question:

It is said, that the Poirier film is made from fiction as also includes original film sequences. How can I find out the authentic parts of the film ?

I will order this film next.

Malte

I did a search on Léon Poirier and his film VERDUN. The DVD of the film is still available - a fact I did not know since I am not from the VERDUN-site but more from Flanders. But since I started this topic with stuff from my home which I have ignored for many years, my interest in Verdun got aflamed.

I would very much appreciate an answer to this question:

It is said, that the Poirier film is made from fiction as also includes original film sequences. How can I find out the authentic parts of the film ?

I will order this film next.

Malte

Malte,

There are a few historic scenes in the film--of Petain for example. Most of the other scenes seemed staged.

The film is OK--I just watched it two days ago for the first time, and I was not all that impressed at times!

Paul

I agree with Paul. It's staged apart from the odd scene with someone like Petain. I think it's dull but it was probably wonderful then. It was reissued in time for 11 November last year.

Christina

Subject: From the caption: "Angriff auf Fort DOUAUMONT am 25. 2. 16."

Space of time: February 25th 1916

Source: Ziegler, Wilhelm : Verdun / von Dr. Wilhelm Ziegler. - 18. Tsd. - Hamburg : Hanseatische Verlagsanstalt, 1941 (Das Heldenlied des Weltkrieges - Ein Werk von Frontsoldaten ; Band 1).

post-7367-1192207192.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Angriff am 23. Juni 1916"

Space of time: June 23rd 1916

Source: Ziegler, Wilhelm : Verdun / von Dr. Wilhelm Ziegler. - 18. Tsd. - Hamburg : Hanseatische Verlagsanstalt, 1941 (Das Heldenlied des Weltkrieges - Ein Werk von Frontsoldaten ; Band 1).

post-7367-1192207411.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Angriff auf Fort SOUVILLE 11. 7. 1916"

Space of time: July 7th 1916

post-7367-1192207668.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Die Feldherren von Verdun - General von Falkenhayn - Kronprinz Wilhelm - Marschall Joffre - General Pétain - General Nivelle"

Space of time: 1916

post-7367-1192207962.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Hier begann der Angriff am 21. Februar - Im Vordergrund die Straße AZANNES-DAMVILLERS" (From here the Attack started on February 21st - In the fore-ground the road from AZANNES to DAMVILLERS)

Space of time: uncertain

post-7367-1192208125.jpg

post-7367-1192208140.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Blick vom MAASTAL auf DOUAUMONT und den Höhenrücken 'KALTE ERDE' - Im Vordergrund: VILOSNES" (View from MEUSE valley on DOUAUMONT and the ridge 'FROIDE TERRE' with VILOSNES in the fore-ground)

post-7367-1192208352.jpg

post-7367-1192208367.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "VERDUN - in der Mitte die Kathedrale, darum die sternförmige Zitadelle" (VERDUN - in the centre the CATHEDRAL with the fortifications of Vauban around it)

post-7367-1192208529.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fort DOUAUMONT bei Angriffsbeginn - rechts davon Dorf DOUAUMONT, vorn FOSSES-WALD - rechts vorn CHAMBRETTES-FERME. Angriffsfeld am 25. Februar" (Fort DOUAUMONT in the beginning of the attack - right of it the village of DOUAUMONT, FOSSES Wood in the fore-ground - right in front the CHAMBRETTES farm)

Space of time: February 25th 1916

post-7367-1192208837.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "DOUAUMONT vor dem Angriff - m = Bahndamm FLEURY-VAUX, o = HASSOULE-WALD, f = Rücken 'KALTE ERDE'" (DOUAUMONT before the attack - m = railway from FLEURY to VAUX, o = HASSOULE Wood, f = ridge 'FROIDE TERRE')

Space of time: pre February 25th 1916

Source: Ziegler, Wilhelm: Verdun / von Dr. Wilhelm Ziegler. - 18. Tsd. - Hamburg : Hanseatische Verlagsanstalt, 1941 (Das Heldenlied des Weltkrieges - Ein Werk von Frontsoldaten ; Band 1).

post-7367-1192209060.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fort DOUAUMONT im Januar 1916"

Space of time: January 1916

Source: Ziegler, Wilhelm: Verdun / von Dr. Wilhelm Ziegler. - 18. Tsd. - Hamburg : Hanseatische Verlagsanstalt, 1941 (Das Heldenlied des Weltkrieges - Ein Werk von Frontsoldaten ; Band 1).

post-7367-1192209294.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fort DOUAUMONT im Oktober 1916"

Space of time: October 1916

post-7367-1192209400.jpg

Hi Paul,

It's an incredible image but the tripod mounted large format plate cameras of the time were slow, cumbersome beasts compared to smaller format cameras used in later wars - there appear to be so few authentic 'action' images of this type. I would love to think it was real but looking at the high position of the camera in this picture how could a photographer have exposed himself in this way in the heat of the action? :unsure:

Ayup,

If I may,

There were plenty of more compact cameras available in the period than the full plate cameras most people imagine.

A full plate can be used handheld, and rapidly, though fast enough emulsions to make it possible are rather tricksy formulations. Anything from half plate downwards can be (and was) packaged in far more user friendly devices without huge bellows, tripod, or black cloth.

An excellent little page to view a handful of these more 'compact' devices can be found here:

Living Image Camera Museum.

Note that many are of a large enough format for the print's quality to be almost indistinguishable from full plate (especially as most shots will have been reproduced by other methods before reaching us here) and they often have enough adjustment in the lens panel to allow all sorts of tilt type effects that many presume were the sole domain of full plate in that period.

There were even a handful of extremely small (and rare) miniature cameras, smaller than the palm of the hand, some of which I've used but they would most likely never achieve the quality seen here.

Sorry for rambling on, (I like cameras ;)) some truly wonderful photographs on this thread.

Cheers,

IWABOBC.