Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VERDUN

Malte Znaniecki

Subject: From the caption: "Das Fort TAVANNES, südlich vom Fort VAUX, lag bereits an der äußersten Grenze der Hauptkampfzone. Sein Zustand zu Beginn des Jahres 1917 läßt erkennen, daß es nicht so im Brennpunkt der Kämpfe stand, wie DOUAUMONT oder VAUX."

Space of time: Early 1917

Source: Die unsterbliche Landschaft : Die Fronten des Weltkrieges / Ein Bilderwerk, hrsg. v. Erich Otto Volkmann. - Leipzig : Bibliographisches Institut. - Band 10: Der Kampfraum Verdun, 1935

post-7367-1191603404.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fliegeraufnahme von VERDUN. Die Stadt war halb zerstört. Die alten Vaubanschen Befestigungsanlagen treten deutlich hervor. - Verdun und seine Umgebung gilt seit den Kämpfen des Jahres 1916 den Franzosen als heiliger Bezirk."

Space of time:

Source: Die unsterbliche Landschaft : Die Fronten des Weltkrieges / Ein Bilderwerk, hrsg. v. Erich Otto Volkmann. - Leipzig : Bibliographisches Institut. - Band 10: Der Kampfraum Verdun, 1935

post-7367-1191603656.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Kronprinz Wilhelm, der als Oberbefehlshaber der 5. Armee die Verdunkämpfe befehligte, im Gespräch mit Verwundeten."

Space of time: 1916

post-7367-1191603763.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Der Angriff auf das WESTUFER der MAAS setzte erst zwei Wochen nach Beginn der Ostoffensive ein und erzielte nur langsame Fortschritte. Die Eroberung des Hauptkampfziels, des MARRE-RÜCKENS, von dem aus die französische Artillerie ausgezeichnete Flankierungsmöglichkeiten nach dem Ostufer hatte, gelang nicht."

"Im RABENWALD östlich vom TOTEN MANN."

Space of time: 1916-1917

post-7367-1191604098.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Das Dorf MALANCOURT auf dem westlichen MAASUFER, das im März 1916 gegen zäheste französische Verteidigung genommen wurde."

Space of time:

post-7367-1191604187.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Der MONTFAUCON bot einen glänzenden Überblick über die Nordwestfront von Verdun zwischen den ARGONNEN und der MAAS. Er war der wichtigste Beobachtungspunkt der deutschen Artillerie. - Kirche von MONTFAUCON im Oktober 1915."

Space of time: October 1915

post-7367-1191604381.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Der Ort MONTFAUCON nach seiner Eroberung durch amerikanische Truppen während der Herbstoffensive der Entente 1918."

Space of time: Autumn 1918

post-7367-1191604509.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Die Umgebung von Verdun erinnert noch heute in vielem an die schweren Kämpfe des Jahres 1916. Oft bezeichnet nur eine Tafel oder ein Stein die Stelle, an der spurlos verschwundene Ortschaften standen. Die Forts sind im Zustand der Kampfzeit geblieben."

"Inmitten grüner Wiesen starren dem Wanderer die dunklen Schießscharten mächtiger Maschinengewehrstände entgegen."

Space of time: 1930-1935

post-7367-1191604687.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Die COMBRESHÖHEN, wie man sie heute sieht. Die Gipfel sind noch immer zerrissen durch die riesigen Minentrichter."

post-7367-1191604853.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Die Lage der einstigen blühenden Ortschaft FLEURY ist heute nur noch durch ein einfaches Denkmal zu erkennen."

post-7367-1191604981.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Gedenkhalle über dem 'GRABEN DER BAJONETTE' bei Fort DOUAUMONT, in dem eine ganze französische Kompanie verschüttet wurde, deren Bajonette aus der Erde ragen. - Dieser Graben gilt als heiliges Symbol der Verdunkämpfe."

post-7367-1191605128.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Wie friedliche Teiche und Tümpel wirken heute die Granattrichter auf den Höhen rings um Verdun, ganz überwuchert von Gebüsch, Gras und Schilf. Aber noch viele Jahrzehnte werden sie ein Mahnzeichen sein für die Toten von Verdun."

post-7367-1191605252.jpg

vn0019up9.jpg

Subject: Map of the Battlefield Verdun

Subject: From the caption: "Kampf auf Höhe TOTER MANN" (Combat on hill MORT HOMME)

Source: Archives M. Znaniecki

V00023_bearbeitet_1a_bearbeitet_1l_p.jpg

I'd like to discuss this photo. I thought this was also from a film-still, but this seems to have been an actual photo. This is a pretty amazing image, one of the most amazing fo the war. Has anyone seen any additonal information on its origins?

Paul

Hi Paul,

It's an incredible image but the tripod mounted large format plate cameras of the time were slow, cumbersome beasts compared to smaller format cameras used in later wars - there appear to be so few authentic 'action' images of this type. I would love to think it was real but looking at the high position of the camera in this picture how could a photographer have exposed himself in this way in the heat of the action? :unsure:

Similar to the Poilu photo discussed here:

Can anyone tell me about this famous photo?

Malte, is it possible to get a hi-res scan of the pic?

Hi Paul,

It's an incredible image but the tripod mounted large format plate cameras of the time were slow, cumbersome beasts compared to smaller format cameras used in later wars - there appear to be so few authentic 'action' images of this type. I would love to think it was real but looking at the high position of the camera in this picture how could a photographer have exposed himself in this way in the heat of the action? :unsure:

Max,

I also wonder, and had thought it was from a later movie. Yesterday I got a little surprise, when in an old bookstore in Darmstadt I picked up a copy of "Kaempfe der Heeresgruppe Deutscher Kronprinz 1917," published by 5. Armee in the field in 1917, and this picture was included.

This copy has the number "3459" in white in the lower corner. So, if the photo was staged, and it's possible, it was done during the war.

Paul

I'm very much impressed by your 'between the wars'-pictures, Malte. For the people returning to their homes the effects of the war lasted so much longer than november 1918.

Roel

Hi Paul,

I quite agree, where was the photographer? Standing up to obtain a tilt-shot. Obviously not. How did he lug it to the front line? Telekinesis? Shot composition? No dismembered bodies, no rotting corpses, soldiers in clean uniforms, poses conforming to the western artistic canon?

Clearly it is possible to take photos which are 'authentic' even if impossible to take them contempraneously (as can be seen in posed shots in 'Battle of the Somme') but clearly the pictures of people tend to be reconstructions.

Dear Pals,

in the first I would like to thank you for your tremendeous help at all these questions.

Paul,

the photograph is real and has been shot by a German photographer (from Kriegs-Bild und Filmamt = BUFA) during combat action.

And it is indeed taken at the Verdun-Front.

The German KRONPRINZ has never had much sense for jokes - especially not in these matters.

This way he would not have allowed to present any faked photos in his Army gallery-book. You might have noticed that when browsing your book.

This photograph appeared from 1917 on and - in a lot of publications - is often mentioned as from the French offensive on the Verdun-Front in August 1917.

Max,

of course you can get a scan in higher resolution. If sized until 5 MB I could send it via email.

If higher resolution wished, I have to put it on a CD-ROM and send it to an adress you prefer to give me.

But I would need your email adress in the minorest.

Friedhelm,

thank you so very, very much for posting these wonderful pictures right here !

An unbelievable good addition to our works.

The major question:

How must a camera be posited to get a convincing picture of a combat scene ?

Very easy ... just turn your arms up and keep ya head down ... and push the button.

The following picture attached gives an impression from how it could have worked.

The picture is mentioned to be from the village of FLEURY in many publications.

This one is from:

Der Weltkrieg im Bild : Originalaufnahmen des Kriegs-Bild- und Filmamtes aus der modernen Materialschlacht / National-Archiv [Hrsg.]. - Berlin [u. a.] : National-Archiv, 1931.

post-7367-1191677604.jpg