Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Baltic Submarine Crews.

Signals

Hi Darren,

Wilju Krug? William Hrussy?, at a guess. Could they be Russian or Finnish names?

Here are some subs alongside Dvina, iced up for the winter. I notice what looks like a gun on one of them; E class? Nothing decipherable on the back of this one

Regards,

ARABIS.

post-21239-1189786196.jpg

I see guns on at least the three front boats, thus so E class. Don't know about the boat closest to the vessel they're tied up besides.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi Arabis,

great photo, taken after E18 was lost, maybe winter 1916/17. You forget to notice the C class submarine in the bottom right hand corner of the photo. The other four subs are E class. I'll have a better look soon, but the closet to Dvina looks like E19, then maybe E1 facing the opposite way and showing the rear of her casing, then E9 and outboard E8. When i get a little more time i'll compare with other photos to confirm. It's confusing due to the canvas covered screens set up on the casings fwd of the conning tower, makes it look like too many conning towers.

The other photo ypu posted that i said was E8, the other gun in the background is E9.

Hope this helps but i'll look a bit harder soon.

Cheers DB.

Michael & Darren,

Thanks for your photo IDs. Here are two more taken in the floating dock. The first looks like a close up of the previous photos of C 26 judging by it`s position in the dock, but there is nothing on the back so it`s just a guess.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1189868736.jpg

Second photo; written in pencil on the back is "Stern view of C 26".

ARABIS.

post-21239-1189868896.jpg

Hi Arabis,

two nice shots of C26, great detail on the torpedo tubes and bow caps and sluice doors, shows their operating condition. I was reading that E18 wasn't fitted with sluice doors protecting her bow caps, so in October 1915 she had a German dreadnought lined up Halahan gave the order to open the bow caps, but they were jammed. Without the sluice doors the caps could be jammed by underwater ojects lodging in the area. This was probabily the worst miss by the British subs in the Baltic.

Cheers Darren.

Hi Darren,

A couple of interior shots, which I`m hoping somebody will be able to identify as to submarine class. Again there is nothing written on the back of these. This first one looks like torpedo tubes to me, but I don`t know what that cylinder in the foreground is.

Regards,

ARABIS.

post-21239-1189943770.jpg

Second picture.

The area below the conning tower? Mess table & bench in the foreground.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1189944030.jpg

Hi Arabis,

would love to say those photos are C class but i'm not sure, below is a know C class interior and note the differences. Definately not E1 or E8 as they only had a single forward and single aft torpedo tube, this is assmuming they are Baltic Photos, need a bit more homework on these photos.

Cheers DB.

Hi Arabis,

still not conviced about your E class boats alongside Dvina other than they are E class. How i ID them is as follows. Their Gun, their Wireless deck tube, their deck casing and their bow stem.

E1 had a straight bow stem, a flat deck casing up to the conning tower and her Wireless deck tube was placed on the left side of the deck casing forward of the CT. I have been told that E1 never had a gun fitted, this i'm starting to doubt this as your photo could show E1 with a gun and i've seen two others that could show her with a gun.

E8, she was the only one of the five E submarine that had her gun and wireless deck tube behind the conning tower. Her deck casing fwd of the CT was also flat. Her bow stem was also straight. In mid 1916 Goodhart paited E8 in camouflage, not sure how long this was for.

E9, she didn't always have a gun fitted, but her gun was unique to her, a different style to the others, take note of the difference with the guns on the photo i said was E8 you posted on page 3. Her deck casing was flat from the bow to the conning tower. One very unique feature she had was the location of her wireless deck tube. Although fwd of the CT as in E1, E18 and E19, she was the only one with it fitted to the right hand side of her deck casing. Her bow stem was straight except the last little bit that met the casing, which had a little curve. E9 was also painted in camouflage at some satge in 1916.

E18, Curved bow stem, her deck casing was flat from the bow but then humped up, where the gun was, to the conning tower. Her wireless deck tube was fwd of the gun and on the L/H side, along with E19 they carried the 30 ft wireless masts on the L/H side fwd and aft. She was lost by the time the C cclass had arrived so she can't be considered for this photo.

E19, she had the same set-up as E18 but was only paited grey and not the camouflage of E18.

Below is a photo that has been reproduced many time, but i have never seen anyone apply the correct caption. No one doubts the obvious of it being the E19, however i have seen the other sub listed as E18. Unsing my guide above you can work out which sub this is. It's the E9, this is because you can see that the wireless deck tube is on the right hand side of the deck casing, this casing is flat up to the CT.

Hope this helps. DB.

Hi Arabis,

just a little more help for you, this photo is of E19 on her commissioning day. Take note of her curved bow stem and compare to your photo, you'll see this bow up agaist Dvina and that it differs from the others. Also in this photo you'll see a gap between the crew on her deck casing. In this gap you can see the hump in the deck casing before you get to the gun, also you can clearly see the wireless deck tube in the gap between the crew, located on the L/H side of the casing.

The previous photo i forgot to mention, i wouldn't be suprised if this is taken when E19 had just arrived in the Baltic. She met E9 and a Russian destroyer which fits in with this photo, also this is an early shot as E19 still has the large E19 painted on her bow, this was painted out at a later date. What do people think?

Arabis, i also forgot to mention, the very first photo you posted of C35, it looks very much like the officer is Lt Stanley of C35. Have a look at the photo on page two of this thread showing Stanley and Ashmore waliing along Dvina's decks. Hers some info i have on Stanley, Stanley, Edward Gerald, Lt. In command of C35 from the 17-1-1917 to the 6-8-1917. Stanley received the DSC as 1ST Lt on the E14 while serving in the Daranelles. He was the only Officer to serve in both the Daranelles and Baltic submarine campaigns. He returned to England in August 1917 and was replaced as CO by Ashmore.

Hope this helps,

DB.

Arabis, `cylinder in fore-ground' of photo ;

Probably `blowing head' of torpedo - for practice only.

Note ; no `arming cap' on fore of head. In practice this would be empty of explosive to assist with flotation for recovery after firing in practice.

Regards Sadsac

Darren,

Thanks again for your time & hard work with these photo IDs. I`m not sure about the C35 officer ID as the cap badge looks like a petty officer`s, likewise his collar & tie.

Sadsac,

Thanks for the information about the practice torpedo cylinder.

Here are two more, the first is the final one I have on the floating dock.

Regards,

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190048280.jpg

This one taken in "Blighty"? Behind the seated figure in the woollen jumper on the right is a sign which looks like part of the word STATION. The central figure is wearing a couple of medal ribbons, one of which could be the Naval Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190048865.jpg

Hi Arabis,

the first photo of your recent post is in the book Forgotten Flotilla, page 221. It's caption is C26 repair party. Going by your other photos there seems to be a bit of a problem if we assume they were taken at the same time, which i think they were. The first photo you posted of C35 shows C26 in the background, this means C35 is on our left of the front on photos you have of both submarines. The other close ups of C26's crew show she is on our right of the front on photos. The first photo you posted of C35 and this last one of C26 shows a canvas bridge screen wrapped up and hanging from the front of the CT so these photos were taken at the same time. So it may be the photos of the bows of the subs are the wrong way round, C35 on our left and C26 on our right in the floating dock.

Yes i'm no expert at uniforms and medals so you are probabily right with Stanley, here is C35's Petty Officer, Croxall, William Henry, Stoker Petty Officer, #213307 of Derby, Derbyshire, Born 30-7-1885. Croxall was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Croxall was Mentioned in Despatches. Croxall departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

The second photo, when you look at the width of what they are on, i would say it's a sub. Just not sure which type as yet, looks like a gun with it's barrel facing the CT from what i can make out. One sub that could fit this photo is the K class subs, i have posted a photo for you to compare the gun arrangment behind the CT and facing it. If this is correct then we can look further into who was the owner of the photos, someone who transferred to the K's in Rosyth with the depot ships Royal Arthur and Crescent. The chap on our left with the white jumper looks a little like the with the cables around his neck on the C26 photo you just posted, hard to tell though. Your later photos you speak of may hold the clues as to the photos owners.

My great grandfather served on the C class in Dundee, the C20 before going out to the Baltic on E18. When war broke out they talk of removing the collision heads of the torpedos and installing warheads, ( C20 LOGS), this is what Sadsac has mentioned to you. These collision heads would crumble on impact, in C20's case she always carried out practice on HMS Alecto, the torpedos with these heads would float so they could be retrieved, not just for cost reasons but they could confirm a hit with these collision heads.

Hope this helps, DB.

Hi Colin,

re signalman Young and Signalman Lawson. Lawson was not part of the original crew that took E8 out into the Baltic, he is listed as arriving in the Baltic with the September 1915 draft which probabily came via Norway, Sweden, Finland.

Young joined HMS Maidstone in April 1915 so he would have gone out to the Baltic on E8. One thing is the one marked as Young had HMS Dolphin on his Tally in the Eyes and Ears photo. This photo was taken prior to May 1916, and Young hadsn't got Dolphin listed on his papers until after he returned from the Baltic. However Lawson was listed on Dolphin's books from the 6-9-1915 to the 26-9-1915 while he travelled out to the Baltic. I will inquire as to how he was ID in the photo and how he's tied to E8 when he went out to the Baltic as spare crew.

Cheers DB.

Hi Darren,

You could be right about the C26/C35 photos being the wrong way around, or it may be that whoever wrote on the back got them mixed up. As for the possible K class photo, I forgot to mention that the central figure is wearing four war service chevrons on his sleeve which would indicate 1918 or later if this helps.

Here are two of the four possible "red herring" pictures.

The caption on the front reads H.M.S. Crusader`s Football Team Nov. 1912. Written in pencil on the back is "Started work the 10th Aug. finished Sept 4th drew 11 days pay Sept 22 1 weeks 29 Sept".

Regards,

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190111139.jpg

"Red Herring" no. 2.

H.M.S. Africa, Winners of All Comers 1915 1916. Nothing on the back of this one. Is it me or is the chap standing on the right at the back, the same person sitting second left at the front of the Crusader photo?

I will post the final two pics tomorrow.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190111798.jpg

Hi Arabis,

wonder if the owner of these photos was on the destroyer Crusader, then the battleship Africa, then subs and the Baltic before going to the K class. It would take me a little time to work this one out. I'm convinced that is a K class sub and could possibily be the K14. In that photo there is a black box at the back of the CT, i need to do some more homework but i have noticed only K14 has this item but that's a long shot. Many of the Baltic crews ended up on the K class with a few losing their lives in the Battle of May Island, K Class collisions. You have have to try and ID a photo of Rosyth with that station in the background.

I have been told that i was right with the E8 photo, also it is E9's gun in the background. I will confirm the boats alongside Dvina soon. The internal shots are E class and not C, i thought their were too many differences for a C. With this in mind your photos can only be the E19 or E9. E1 and E8 only had single forward firing tubes, one in the rear and her beam tubes.

Look forward to the next shots, i have compliled crew lists, although not complete for C26 and C35 if you want me to post them on this site, i think the owner was on one of these two subs, from here you could chase down their papers, i'm doing the E class lists at the moment.

Hope this helps,

Cheers DB.

Hi Darren,

Thanks again, a list of the crews of C 26 & C 35 would be welcome. Here are the last two photos.

"Red herring 3", nothing to identify this one, not even a photographer`s name, but there is a stoker`s badge of a three bladed propeller on his right arm.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190217811.jpg

"Red herring 4".

T. H. Everitt Studios, Crystal Palace & 63 Anerley Rd., Upper Norwood SE [19].

All the boys are wearing R.N.V.R. cap ribbons, with the pipe smoking veteran wearing a H.M.S. VICTORY cap ribbon.

He is also wearing three light coloured & one dark coloured war service chevrons on his right sleeve.

ARABIS.

post-21239-1190218585.jpg

Hi Arabis,

hopefully these photos aren't red hearings but clues. I have included some work i'm doing on the C class boat crews in the Baltic, i'm mainly working on the E class boats, especially E8 at the moment so these lists are very incomplete and need a heap of work,however it may give you a start. See what you think.

C26 CREW LIST.

The Officers.

Tod, Eric Bannerman, Lt. In command of C26 from the 28-4-1916 to the 21-9-1917. Took command of E4 when he returned from the Baltic in 1917.

Downie, Basil Nugent, Lt. In command of C26 from the 22-9-1917 to the April 1918. Prior to taking command of C26 Downie had been the 1st Lt on E9 from the 6-1-1917. Downie was awarded the DSC, London Gazette 26-4-1918, for his services in the Baltic. He remained behind with the Care and Maintenance party after the main group departed for England in January 1918. He organised the destruction of the Flotilla in April 1918 at Helsingfors to prevent the capture of the submarines falling enemy hands as the invading Germans closed on the city. He returned to England in Mat 1918 with the rest of the care maintenance party.

Stokes, John Arthur Lawrence, Sub Lt, with C26 from March 1916 to August 1917. Stokes was promoted to Acting Lt on the 15-4-1917 and departed for England with Tod in September 1917.

Hume-Spry, Edward Vere, Sub Lt, with C26 from 7-8-1917 to January 1918. Hume-Spry completed his submarine training course on the 6-7-1917 and was sent out to the Baltic for his first submarine appointment..

Gibower, Lt, Russian Officer.

The Ratings.

Burnett, Edwin Samuel, ERA, # M465 of Ireland Island, Bermuda, Born 9-1-1886. Burnett was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Burnett departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Cossey, Alfred John, Able Seaman, #J10240 of Exeter, Devon, Born 13-8-1893. Cossey joined C26 in October 1916. He was rated a Leading Seaman on the 16-2-1917 and then a Petty Officer on the 1-4-1918. Cossey received a Mention in Despatches while in the Baltic. Cossey stayed behind with the care and maintenace party after the main group went home in January. He went home in April 1918 after the submarines had been scuttled off Helsingfors.

Davey, Henry Charles, Petty Officer, #213435 of Plymouth, Devon, Born 23-6-1884. Davey was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Davey departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Hilton, Albert Ernest, Able Seaman, #J15654 of Liverpool, Lancashire, Born 20-9-1894. Hilton joined C26 in Februay 1917. Hilton departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Hinde, Joseph Motyer, Leading Seaman, #J1611 of Portland, Dorset, Born 19-3-1892. Hinde was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Hinde departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Hutchison, James Duncan, Leading Stoker, #K4077 of South Leith, Midlothian, Born 1887. Hutchison was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Hutchison departed Helsingfors in the Baltic,via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Inglis, George, Leading Stoker, #K65 of Edinburgh, Born 1889. Inglis was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Inglis departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Johnson, William, Petty Officer, #191880 of Reading, Berkshire, Born 26-5-1881.Johnson had been one of the earliest submariners, having joined the Service in 1903. He was in submarine A4 with Lt Martin Nasmith which nearly met disaster in 1905. Johnson joined C26 in October 1916. Johnson stayed behind with the care and maintenace party after the main group went home in January and was the senior rating. He went home in April 1918 after the submarines had been scuttled off Helsingfors. On his return to England he joined the submarine G7 under Lt C Russell. Johnson was lost at sea, aged 38, when G7 became the very last British submarine to fail to return from patrol in the Great War, Communications were lost on the 23rd of October and she was declared lost a week later. Johnson is commemorated at the Plymouth Naval Memorial, Grave/Memorial Ref 29.

Pouch, Joseph Edward, Able Seaman, #J8584 of Shorncliffe, Kent, Born 26-5-1894. Pounch joined C26 in October 1916. Pouch departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Rooney, Joseph, Leading Seaman, #K17697 of Carlisle, Cumberland, Born 17-11-1894. Rooney was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Rooney was rated a Petty Officer Coxswain on the 18-6-1917. Rooney received a Mention in Despatches while in the Baltic. Rooney departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Steele, Frederick George, Able Seaman, #J431 of Basingstoke, Hampshire, Born 22-4-1891. Steele was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Steel departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Stevens, Percy Henry, Leading Seaman, #J15195 of Birmingham, Warwickshire, Born 21-7-1895. Stevens was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. Stevens departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner , arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Tuttle, Albert, Stoker Petty Officer, #293488 of Liverpool, Lancashire, Born 4-6-1881. Tuttle was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. He was rated Acting Chief Stoker on the 1-8-1917 and Mentioned in Despatches, (AW01444/18). Tuttle departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Ursell, John James Thomas, Stoker, #358524 of Leckhampton, Gloucestershire, Born 4-6-1884. Ursell was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. He was awarded the DSM. Ursell departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Wilson, Hiram, ERA, #M458 of Nottingham, Born 24-6-1888. Wilson was part of the orginal crew that took C26 out to the Baltic. He was awarded the DSM. Wilson departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

C35 CREW LIST.

The Officers.

Stanley, Edward Gerald, Lt. In command of C35 from the 17-1-1917 to the 6-8-1917. Stanley received the DSC as 1ST Lt on the E14 while serving in the Daranelles. He was the only Officer to serve in both the Daranelles and Baltic submarine campaigns. He returned to England in August 1917 and was replaced as CO by Ashmore.

Ashmore, Leslie Haliburton, Lt. In command of C35 from 7-8-1917 to January 1918. Ashmore departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918

Bowlby, Vivian Russell, Sub Lt. Bowlby was with C35 from June 1916 to the 6-8-1917. Bowlby was promoted to Acting Lt on the 15-6-1917.

O’kell, Tom Bathurst, Sub Lt. With C35 from the 7-8-1917 to January 1918. O’kell completed his submarine training course on the 6-7-1917 and was sent to the Baltic as his first submarine appointment. O’Kell departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918

The Ratings.

Croxall, William Henry, Stoker Petty Officer, #213307 of Derby, Derbyshire, Born 30-7-1885. Croxall was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Croxall was Mentioned in Despatches. Croxall departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Exall, Charles William, Stoker, #K13827 of Worcester, Born 30-10-1892. Exall was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Exall departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Gleaves, William Henry, ERA, #271687 of Manchester, Lancashire, Born 17-4-1877. Gleaves was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Gleaves stayed behind with the care and maintenace party after the main group went home in January. He went home in April 1918 after the submarines had been scuttled off Helsingfors.

Kelley, Arthur Edis Beavers, Leading Signalman, #J3347 of Portsmouth, Hampshire, Born 14-3-1893. Kelly was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916.Not long after arriving signalman Kelly departed back to England at the end of August 1916, along with C27’s Leading Signalman Cooper. More than like their role was taken over by a Russian Signalman.

Mellor, John Lewis, ERA, #M1087 of Harrow, London, Born 28-6-1893. Mellor was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Mellor Exall departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Partridge, Cecil Francis Howard, Able Seaman, #J17663 of Exeter, Devon, Born 26-11-1895. Partridge was not part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic, he joined in April 1917. Partridge departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Pearmain, William, Leading Stoker, #K2037 of Dunmow, Essex, Born 18-11-1887. Pearmain was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Pearmain stayed behind with the care and maintenace party after the main group went home in January. He went home in April 1918 after the submarines had been scuttled off Helsingfors, he arrived back in England on the 5-5-1918..

Pepper, Robert Charles, Able Seaman, #J7124 of Canterbury, Kent, Born 20-5-1894. Pepper was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Pepper was rated as a Leading Seaman in October 1916. Pepper departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Thompson, James Edward, Able Seaman, #J13256 of Liverpool, Lancashire, Born 16-2-1894. Thompson was part of the original crew that took C35 out to the Baltic in August 1916. Thompson was rated a Leading Seam in November 1916. Thompson departed Helsingfors in the Baltic, via Petrograd to Murmansk, by train with the main group. Once in Murmansk they travelled to England on the armed merchant cruiser Andes, an ex Royal Mail liner, arriving back in England on the 15-1-1918.

Hi Darren

Thank you for your work on E E Young. you are right i have checked his papers

and the first mention of Dolphin is 25 July 1917 for L2. Sorry i can not add more but

you guys have left me in the dust miles back,but i am enjoying your research.

Colin :blush:

Hi Colin,

still working on the Young /Lawson issue. I'm starting to woner if that is Young in the Eyes and Eyes photo due to him having Dolphin on his tally. I'm working on E8's list as we speak by going through the diary of Commander Goodhart. By doing this i will attach any comments me makes about his crew members to the crew lists. He certainly mentions a select group all the time but never mentions a signalman. He gives Gaby the telegraphist a good going over along with many others, he disliked his ERA's and Russian Officer. I'm just working the crew lists while waiting on info from Germany re E18. The aim is to hopefully find her.

The names i have found in his diary that weren't on the RNSM lists were Able Seaman Vale, he fired the winning shot that sank Prinz Adalbert and a crew member named Berry. Due to their names i'm finding it hard to locate them.

When Prinz Adalbert was sunk the crew recieved blood money which if i remember was 5 pounds per enemy sailor killed, and Prinz Adalbert lost around 600 men so E8's crew recieved 3000 pounds between the 30 of them plus the three Russians on board. Goodhart went thru a company to have the money dispersed. I can give you the name of the company if you like, you never know they could still have a list of the crew recieving the money. My point being if Young recieved this then he should have also recieved the Russian Medal we have already discussed. It may be worth a go.

Hope this helps, DB.

Hi Colin,

still working on the Young /Lawson issue. I'm starting to woner if that is Young in the Eyes and Eyes photo due to him having Dolphin on his tally. I'm working on E8's list as we speak by going through the diary of Commander Goodhart. By doing this i will attach any comments me makes about his crew members to the crew lists. He certainly mentions a select group all the time but never mentions a signalman. He gives Gaby the telegraphist a good going over along with many others, he disliked his ERA's and Russian Officer. I'm just working the crew lists while waiting on info from Germany re E18. The aim is to hopefully find her.

The names i have found in his diary that weren't on the RNSM lists were Able Seaman Vale, he fired the winning shot that sank Prinz Adalbert and a crew member named Berry. Due to their names i'm finding it hard to locate them.

When Prinz Adalbert was sunk the crew recieved blood money which if i remember was 5 pounds per enemy sailor killed, and Prinz Adalbert lost around 600 men so E8's crew recieved 3000 pounds between the 30 of them plus the three Russians on board. Goodhart went thru a company to have the money dispersed. I can give you the name of the company if you like, you never know they could still have a list of the crew recieving the money. My point being if Young recieved this then he should have also recieved the Russian Medal we have already discussed. It may be worth a go.

Hope this helps, DB.

Hi Colin,

Hope this helps, DB.