Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victoria Cross

easily_confused

This begins to remind me of a long-ago thread on the discovery of a box full of medals ...

Chris

That is spooky. About two posts above yours a certain name popped into my head :ph34r:

Andy

easily confused, we experienced a deception/ scam over a thread that resembled yours, some years ago. Older members of this forum will remember it well. Don't worry about it.

and it's been decided that the box has to be opened

Well get on with it then!! And make with the photo..!!

This begins to remind me of a long-ago thread on the discovery of a box full of medals ...

And the amazing saga of family medals lost in Stockport, then found and handed in to the army, only to be rediscovered in the cavity walls of the house. Last heard chap was on his way over from Ireland to pick them up. Don't think he's logged on since.

That one kept me on my seat edge for weeks.

John

I remember that one! I didn't know it was a scam?!

Bernard

it's been decided that the box has to be opened,

You can borrow my large hammer to open the box, it won't let you down!! I was using it to break up some concrete yesterday. The suspense is killing me! :D

Lyndon

Lyndon

I suspect that this will be a long delicate operation...in other words, don't hold your breath for too long.

Andy

Max

:lol: I take it then I won't be asked to open the box?

Lyndon

Might we expect that the results will be posted on April 1st?

:lol:

Bruce

I remember that one! I didn't know it was a scam?!

Far be it for me to leave my good friend Chris Baker open to litigation for defamation.

I would never dream of suggesting it was a scam.

You may recall that it was an incredible (word used advisedly) story. I suggested the original poster should contact the Stockport Express to share the story more widely. Don't recall anything appearing ( ;) )

John

easily_confused

As John said in post 12, I'd be getting the hammer and chisel out if it was me.

You'll understand Pals' reluctance to be taken in - you've been on Forum through some of the most blatant ... errm, incredible tales - so you'll know what Pals are talking about. A photo or two and some more details would go a long way to setting Pal minds at ease. Hammer, chisel, camera - job's a good un. :)

Regards

Jim

And please, Pals, let's not forget that "easily confused" is not an expert here. Nor do I actually see anything in her/his posts that seeks to deceive.

The family may, in all conscience, think that the medal in the case was genuine. Perhaps it's a repro VC. Perhaps it is one of the missing ones. Perhaps it's a different medal altogether.

Let's not judge folk till we have something to judge on.

Chisel/hammer/camera.

John

He honest pals if anyone here thought they had a VC (genuine or otherwise) in safe let alone a box , would not have "cracked " it about 1 micro second after seeing said box ? :) . The owners of this one must have the patience of a saint.

First of all let me apologize for not replying sooner but my first concern was to comfort my nan having just broken one of her treasured possesions as you can appreiciate this was very hard for her.

Second I had no intentions to SCAM anyone as you put it I came on here to ask a question about something I had no knowledge on and thought this would be a good place to start in my learning. I can understand you being somewhat sceptical, but surely rudeness isn't called for. I am just a 29 year old girl trying to learn a bit more of what my grandad and great grandad did in the world wars, I would of thought this would be something to be encouraged.

I enclose a picture of the said medal as requested, and for all of you waiting for it there was no inscription.

I am very sorry to all of you that have been troubled by this posting.

P.s for anyone interested we did find a MM for Garrett Ryan something we are very proud of.

post-3784-1174997621.gif

Certainly looks like a VC to me....

Were the other medals named ? (along with the MM). The WW2 medals on the far right won't be named.

Steve.

P.S. Let's be a little less sceptical, folks. We aren't forced to devote our time to helping here.

easily_confused, no one is accusing you of a scam. There is a natural scepticism over such finds, especially as we have experienced one or two threads that were deliberately deceptive, on exactly that subject. I shall be very interested to see how this turns out. As Steve says, there should be an incription round the rim of the MM.

Medals are in fantastic condition no tarnishing on the BWM and the victory is still guilded.

Stebie, any tricks how to find WW2 MM's in the LG?

Hi again

There was no inscription on the back of the vc medal or bar

the mm was engraved 5719 Sergt G Ryan Royal Irish Regt

There was also Kings South Africa medal engraved 3431 PTE T Knight Hampshire Regt not sure why he'd got this not one of the family I think

I believe that the VC should have the named recipient engraved on the reverse of the suspender.

Easily confused

Let's assume for now that this is a genuine VC, whoever it was awarded to.

You now have an extremely valuable item in your family's possession. So let me offer some very strong and serious advice:-

1. Make sure that you do not disclose here or elsewhere anything at all that might identify who you are or where the medal lives. You have no idea who is reading the Forum.

2. Contact the makers, Hancocks. They are the only people who can be relied on to confirm if it is genuine. Their website is here. Telephone them TODAY. They will be able to ask you questions over the phone which will allow them to confirm things one way or another.

3. Depending on what they say, make IMMEDIATE arrangements to store the medal in a secure facility. Ring your bank for advaice or contact one of the various "strongroom" companies.

John