Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victoria Cross

easily_confused

Medals are in fantastic condition no tarnishing on the BWM and the victory is still guilded.

Stebie, any tricks how to find WW2 MM's in the LG?

Never managed to find one! Did have a look once, but couldn't find any of the lists, even.

Chris,

Me, neither. Nor a MM Medal card.

I'll check my 1916 to 1917 lists when I get home...

Steve.

I can't find the MM being gazetted to 5719 Sgt G Ryan on the London Gazette site - can anyone?

I couldn't find it either I have his medal card but it is not mentioned on there. My nan did mention today that he was discharged due to a mishap(her words) causing him to lose a leg and hand

Not unusal to see the MM not mentioned on a campaign medals card. Even VCs weren't habitually mentioned.

If he was discharged due to wounds then his medal card should mention a reference to "SWB List/xxxxxxx"

Steve.

Steve.

I am almost sure that the recipients name would be engraved on obverse of the suspension bar.

and wasn't the date of exploit engraved on the back of the medal itself?

Not certain.....

If only eh?

Ivan.

Not unusal to see the MM not mentioned on a campaign medals card. Even VCs weren't habitually mentioned.

If he was discharged due to wounds then his medal card should mention a reference to "SWB List/xxxxxxx"

Steve.

Steve.

ooo it sure does it says SWB list a/3

Theatre France

Qualifying date 30/11/14

I am disappointed with forum members who have been so rude to easily_confused, who although has been a member for a long time has not posted that often, so might not have read every post avidly. Surely this is the place where the question should be posed and each poster should be treated on their merits and not carry the can for any other pal.

As the MM clearly has the head of King George the SIXTH (reigned 1936-52) why are pals trying to find it in the WWI records?

As the MM clearly has the head of King George the SIXTH (reigned 1936-52) why are pals trying to find it in the WWI records?

Stupidity can't be ruled out as a reason (on my part alone I hasten to add....)

'Twas the number wot threw me, Guv. Honest.

Steve.

Sorry should have mentioned that the mm in picture wasn't engraved but the first World war one was. The second world war one belonged to my grandad along with the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Pacific Star, Defence Medal, American Bronze Star Medal which has a V badge on the ribbon and War medal Only the star medals are engraved

The first world war mm also has a bar on it with what I think is oak leaves?

He also got the 1914-15 star which is engraved which he is engrave to be a PTE but it's engrave Segt on the MM but they are both the same army number.

Sorry if I'm bombarding you all but i'm excited :D

Easily

To avoid any further confusion, would it be possible to post new pics of each medal group and note any inscriptions against each.

Also, a pic of the reverse of the 'VC' would help as a real example will have the date of the action in a circle and the name of the recipient on the suspender bar. From what you have said it looks like a replica.

You have got members interested and it looks like they are eager to help you.

The "Not engraved" medals in the left hand picture should be "engraved" (actually stamped) around the rims of the medals.

As should be the same in the right hand picture. Not sure about the GVI MM but i think it should also be engraved.

If they are not they may be replacements/replicas?

Steve.

WW2 Stars were not engraved officially but many were done privately. Boots the Chemist even offered this as a service.

Could the uninscribed medals be replacements to make up for lost examples in the entitlement? Same with the KSA Medal to Knight?

Have these medals been polished recently?

They have been in a sealed case for at least 24ish years since my grandad last wore them at a royal legion do a week before he died.

I am assuming that the British War Medal and Victory Medal seen to left left of the right-hand picture are the same two medals as seen to the right of the left-hand picture? (still with me?).

Are the 5 medals in the left hand picture all mounted together on one bar? This would indicate that the group is 'made up' due to the spurious Kings South Africa Medal to Pte Knight of the Hampshire Regt. It's a new development that the MM has a bar, though, indicating a second award.

To my eye, the VC looks to be a good quality replica - the colouration just looks too 'new' and consistant, even allowing for the fact that it has spent years locked away in a box. I have heard of VCs being awarded without the dates in the centre of the medal, but never without the name on the back of the suspender (quickly off to check Victoria Cross Heroes online.)

A quick search on Ryan on Gazettes online returns 721 hits, so will let someone look that one up! It should be easier to check the MICs for multiple cards?

Regards

Steve

Considering that they have been untouched in the case for so long, they are in fantastic condition.

Andy

Could the uninscribed medals be replacements to make up for lost examples in the entitlement? Same with the KSA Medal to Knight?

The King's South Africa could not be awarded singly, so the 'group', if indeed it is such, should also have a Queen's South Africa. Another conundrum.

Steve

Searching MICs online with Ryan and 5719 returns just the 1 correct hit, for his service medals.

Searching on Ryan and Royal Irish Regiment gives 196.

I can find nothing to indicate anything more than this one card on any other search combination.

Regards

Steve

To summaise we have an unnamed VC, a MM and bar which as yet the experts have failed to find in the LG, (the Steves must be getting slow) a spurious Kings SA medal. A correctly named 1915 star to G Ryan. Next there is an unnamed George VI MM (only presented to foreign service people) and a named group to Ryan a marine in WW2. Interesting. Ill have a fifth look for the MM and bar.

p.s. is there another initial with G. Ryan as this may help the search.

Oi!

Steve.

P.S. I shall check The List tonight (1916-1917 only!)

I've missed a great thread (nothing like this since Egberts Grandfathers box!!)

The VC is either a one-off non-named medal, which is very highly unlikely or a very good copy. I've got several "museum" quality copies in my sets and a couple resemble the one in the pic.... colour/toning. A replacement VC, also produced by Hancocks of London, would have at least the name, rank etc on the suspender and the date on the centre of the reverse.

An original VC is shown below......

namedetailsqh6.jpg

vcyeardetailspw3.jpg

Les.