Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning Lost Medals

Glyn Llanwarne

A chap who re-unites medals with the proper owners and a chap who loves cricket ! What more can a forum ask for !

Very very well done. Sir , i take my cap off to you.

Roland. :)

But Roland hes an Ozzie of Taff extraction you cannot possibly applaud anything he does. :D gareth

In this case , hard as it is , i do !

Roland. :D

who re-unites medals with the proper owners

With respect the "proper" owners either died in the mud of Flanders or the dust & flies of Gallipoli,Mesopotamia,Africa,etc or has with the exception of all but a small handful passed over to the great Battlefield in the Sky,even their immediate Next of Kin will;if most likely deceased; have been suceeded by @ least a generation or three of various descendants,the eldest being Sons or Daughters in their 80s,the youngest Great Great Grandchildren perhaps just hours old,some four or five times removed from he original recipient & possibly among a dozen or so with equal claim,as it were,to just a pair of Medals!

That is of course if they even wanted them.

Whilst it may be admirable in an ideal world that all Medals are retained by all Families,in the logical real world where families are extinct,or dispersed throughout the four corners of the globe & not everyone has the same regard for Great~Grandad's Sacrifice~I expect many dont even know who Great~Grandad was!;where a pair of new Nikes or an Ipod means more than having a 1914~15 Star Trio on the Wall,or in the sideboard.Then Medal Collectors will continue to research,conserve & preserve the medallic heritage of the nation,each in their own small personal way

I hope we do not sink once again into the collectors v the others battle I think we have agreed that an armistice on this battle was declared about 3 months ago. I am a collector but admire those whose hobby is to return medals. At the end of the day none of us are evil but are differnt, lets keep it all in perspective and not got too uptight about asome gentle teasing from each other. Gareth :D

Prior to joining this forum, I was totally against selling medals for profit or just giving them to anyone without trying (at least) to reunite them with a descendant of the recepient.

I seem to remember getting myself into deep hot water with one of my very first postings. It was like gradually opening up a wasps nest. Everyone flew out...... and I was stung.

Since joining the forum I have to say that I have changed my views because I feel - having come to know people through their postings, their willingness and efforts to put themselves out to help - it seems to me that each and everyone on this forum care deeply about those that gave their lives (and those that were fortunate to survive) and it follows that they would care about the medals that were awarded.

So I feel,

Providing the medals are not just dumped and forgotten forever the main thing is that they are with someone who cares about them and cares about what happens to them.

Everyone is perfectly entitled to their own opinion. I do try to see all sides and am sympathetic to both trains of thought here.

And when all's said and done the main thing that remains is ..... we do care, no matter how we show it.

Hmmmm,

Just looked for the thread only a couple of months old regarding this subject and one of the heated debates, only to find that it is not there anymore.

Such a shame as it was reaching the views required for classic thread status and was a good read. :D:D

Andy

I tell you all what:

David probably knows more about the men behind the medals he now owns than the families who sold their medals in the first place.

Roger, Andy, Terry and Marc are also similar custodians - all cracking blokes too, IMHO, who all contribute more to this Forum than the mockers.

Hello everyone,

I must thank Stephen for providing information about the English blokes I've listed. This is more than I had this morning. I now need to make the link with a family in Australia and it is a safe bet that they or their decendents moved out here.

For all the other notes of support, both on and off site, thank you all.

As the person who started this tread I feel guilty about some of the subsequent comments. If I may just confirm my position.

I understand why individuals or family members have sold medals. The journey I'm on that sees medals go back to families has given me a considerable insite in to the circumstances of many veterans or their families. I've heard some terrible stories of suffering and hardship as well as tales of bravey and overcoming adversity. That has lead me to an understanding of the medal collecting community. They provide an invaluable link to the memory of some all but forgotten service men and women. I can not deny the part they play in maintaining this history.

I'm provided medals that are recovered from the tip, the gutter, the 2nd hand shop or any number of places but for some reason they have been discarded. That might have been yesterday or years ago. Given those circumstances I try to do my bit for the veteran.

Glyn

One very final thought from me:

We have been given freedom of thought, choice and action because of those that gave their lives

Glyn, i wouldn't lose any sleep about any spats that occur here when the words med*** collector are mentioned. At least its not as bad as when Ha**, Donke** or S*D are brought up. It happens every few weeks. gareth

Hi Gareth,

You are absolutely right, not worth losing any sleep over. Funny though it just seems to be one person that has a bee in his bonnet about collectors and is usually the person to start it off, strange that.!!!!

Andy

seems to be one person

You shouldn't fuss about one person's views, mate.

I'll never understand the issue, though. On either side. Can't understand why there's criticism of someone's hobby. Can't understand the overly defensive attitude some hobbyists seem to take.

I'll get me coat.

John

That is of course if they even wanted them.

As we both well know many families could not give two hoots where a rellies medals lie but also as we both know many families do and as each year passes more families want them returned to the family.

Both statements are perfectly true.

They should be given the chance to do this.

Some people think rellies wishes are not relevent... :(

Roland.

, not worth losing any sleep over.

Never have over here.........

Roland

Glyn,

Good to catch up at last the other weekend.

Thanks for posting this - I'd forgotton that I was going to email you about the medal I'm trying to find a home for.

Will be in touch soon.

Tim L.

Hello

Having read this thread I just wanted to say that I think Glyn should be applauded for his generosity and kindness.

As Glyn himself has stated, his approach and that of collectors are not incompatible. I am a little surprised that the mattter can generate such heat.

Regards

Mel

1]Lance Corp Henry Haines 20796 and then 203761(this is his SWB card) 1/8 Worcestershire Regt. Mutt, Jeff and SWB. On the stamped section where the Victory and British Medal referecnes are filled in, he has the symbol you have described - does this mean he would have transferred into the Worcs. from somewhere else, seeing as this is the SWB card, (can't seem to locate his full medal card!)

2]Pte Albert Hartiss 15708 1st Worcestershire Regt. Pip, Squeak and Wilfred (also says Z.A.R in remarks)

3]Lt Quartermaster / Hon Capt Edwin Joseph Langridge 1st Batt N. Staffs Rgt ; also RFC. His medal card is all over the place, with MiDs He did move around alot so i wonder if it caused a problem.

Also he was awarded an MBE, but this isn't on the card?!

4]Am I right in thinking, then, that any medals would have name and number stamped on the rim, or is this only is they are asterisked on the medal card??

Phew!

1]If there is a "Rubber Stamp" section @ the top{usually} this is then both SWB & MiC & there may not be another one,it is a peculiar type of Combined Card used for many MiC entries.

2]ZAR= Zuid Afrika Regt/Rifles/Reserve,unless it actually says "Z" Res= Class Z Reserve{pre complete discharge on cessation of Hositilies}

3]Could well be a well filled card usually implies a lot of activity in the Clerical/Records departments!!

The MBE would not be indexed on a Card{unlike MiD,MM,DCM,MSM}It would be promulgated in the London Gazette

4]All UK Campaign Medals of that period should be impressed with the persons details,depending on the Service in which they served,the "X" & "." s would only be entered on the card to assist the Namers if there was more than one Unit marked on the Card,so they{The Mint Namers} would know which unit was to be impressed.

Hi Glyn,

Like everyone else on this thread, I think this is a totaly awsome service you are providing. I would be interested to know, what is the longest period that any of these medals have been out of the families possession, before being returned?

I have been searching for my grandfathers WW1 medals for approx 20 years with no luck. If you have reunited medals that have been missing for longer than this ,it will give me some hope.

My granfathers medals were actually stolen by a step family member and recently it has started to look likely that there were other medals from earlier wars to perhaps my great grandfather, Boar war, I think but as yet I have not proved this.

If someone like yourself were to return these missing medals to me, I dont know exactly how emotional I would be but think it fair to say I would be a bit happy and excited

Ian

Hi Glyn

Steve Nulty has just given me the heads up & mentioned there is a William Cleaver Pte 4524 on your list. I can help a little if its useful but dont have much ...

William is one of "my boys" (not ancestorally speaking Im afraid - Im just a fanatic on the 5th Beds!) having enlisted into the 5th Battalion (Territorial) Beds Rgt in September 1914 & sailed with them to Gallipoli, landing 10th August 1915.

I have his Star Medal Roll but he is not on the VM Roll for the Btn, which woudl fit in with him transferring to the Londons. The London number looks Territorial to me (being 6 digits) but I have no record of his movement. For what its worth, the 10th & 11th Londons were in the same Brigade as the 5th Beds (the 162nd), so perhaps he was moved to them after recovering from a wound or illness? Looks like a high one to me on the surface too & is obviously a post April 1917 number, perhaps even much later?

He seems to have survived but I have no record of where he came from Im sorry to say as he has not turned up in any of the research Ive done into the Battalion so far. :(

If there is anything I can do to help return his medals to his family, PLEASE let me know as the 5th Beds are my passion & anyone who apssed through their ranks gets my attention!! You, in my opinion, do an incredibly vaulable and honourable thing, for which I woudl be only too pleased to be able to try & help you achieve mate. All power to you B)

Sorry its not much but hopefully it will lead somewhere? Maybe I can look for his record when Im at Kew next but that wont be for a few weeks I suspect ...

Cheers for now

Steve

I might have missed a contribution to this thread. can i ask?

How does a relative prove to you that they are a relative? If a first war serviceman had 3 children, they had 3 children they had 3 children etc, there could perhaps be 40+ descendants. If he had no children then they would have gone to his parents who may have had no other children and no other relations, do you pass those ones back to the issuing authority?.

Mick

All UK Campaign Medals of that period should be impressed with the persons details,depending on the Service in which they served,the "X" & "." s would only be entered on the card to assist the Namers if there was more than one Unit marked on the Card,so they{The Mint Namers} would know which unit was to be impressed.

Many thanks, Harry! I know it probably seems silly to you, but we young 'uns need someone to explain these things to us ... :lol:

I only hope that one day I'll have gained enough knowledge to actually help someone else for a change. That said, I have just been given a couple of photos that other people might find interesting. Where abouts do I post them?? :unsure:

Suzie

post-14562-1157037230.jpg

ZAR= Zuid Afrika Regt/Rifles/Reserve,unless it actually says "Z" Res= Class Z Reserve

I have attached a copy of the medal card I meant - does this mean the former or the latter???

Guess if its the former I need to get researching Africa!!