Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning Lost Medals

Glyn Llanwarne

Well Done Glyn ... lovely to see you here too :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hello everyone,

I thought it was about time I posted an update of my current medal list. There are several new names on it and I hope that any family member searching a name will come across this list.

Anyway, my latest list is below and my total for returned medals is now 203.

Yours in service,

Glyn

World War 1

3186 PTE George William Adams 29th Bn AIF

Glyn,I think this bloke is my father in laws uncle.He is William Bruce Adams & his bro is called George.I was told that the black sheep moved to Oz in the early days from the SE of England.

Could it be him?Bill moved to Australia 10 yrs ago so it all seems to be coming full circle.I dunno if the Bruce is hyphenated.

Dave.

Dave ... you can check his file at the NAA

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

This George William Adams was born in New Zealand.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hello Dave,

My pulse was racing for a minute there. Sandra is quite correct and this chap is from NZ originally. The medal was found in Melbourne in the 70's.

Based on the movements of the chap you are talking about I'm not sure it is the same. Do you have anything further that might firm up the connection?

Yours in service,

Glyn

PS Thanks Sandra

Dave ... you can check his file at the NAA

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

This George William Adams was born in New Zealand.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Thanks Sandra,I cant get the link to work but I think its at there end.Try manually later. :rolleyes:

Ta again,Dave.

Hello Dave,

My pulse was racing for a minute there. Sandra is quite correct and this chap is from NZ originally. The medal was found in Melbourne in the 70's.

Based on the movements of the chap you are talking about I'm not sure it is the same. Do you have anything further that might firm up the connection?

Yours in service,

Glyn

Sorry Glyn,I have nothing more until I go back to the UK later & talk to the horrendous ex wife.

If he was born in NZ,its def not their bloke.

Thanks again & carry on your great work :D its much appreciated!

Dave.

Dave ... the official launch of the online service records was anounced on the television here last night. It was a drama for people all day today due to increased traffic. I suspect that it will settle down in a day or two and you can take a look.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

PS:

Glyn ... due to the above and the fact that I 'snagged' getting records this morning I grabbed the chance for this one :)

Hello everyone,

I thought it was about time I posted an update of my current medal list. There are several new names on it and I hope that any family member searching a name will come across this list.

While this is really off the WWI topic I have recently received an Imperial Service Medal awarded in 1971 to a Mrs Evelyn Bessie Spradbery. I've established she died in Kendal, Westmoreland, UK, in 1991. I've written a letter of the local paper but I don't think it has been published. Does any one in the UK have any hints?

Anyway, my latest list is below and my total for returned medals is now 203.

Yours in service,

Glyn

.......................List snipped...............

Hi Glyn

As regards the Kendal situation, it could be worthwhile your posting on the genealogical discussion group, - www.rootschat.com .

In a similar genealogical context, if you ever need any Scottish assistance then you are most welcome to make a post on www.talkingscot.com if it's a historical query, e.g. establings siblings of someone from the WW1 era , or contact me direct if the situation involves possible living people. To understand where I'm coming from see my website at www.rossgenealogy.co.uk .

Orraverybest

David

Thanks David,

I'll keep this in mind. Indeed, it is this sort of assistance that I now have around the world that adds to my success, thank you.

I'm in contact with a chap on another forum who's grandparents live in Kendal and I'm hopeful that they will be able to provide some clues for me.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Glyn,

I think it is great that you are getting some medals returned. I recently had my Grandfather's WW2 Medals issued after 60 years. Concerning a RAAF 2SQN bloke on your list Vietnam War A58012 J Potter RAAF. Although I live in Newcastle, I am a member of the 2SQN Association that is based in Brisbane, I served in Vietnam with a Dave Potter but don't know this Potter. I am sure we could attempt to find your Potter using our newsleter. Are you agreeable?

Regards,

Tom Grieves

• 4 weeks later...

Hello every one,

Two posts back is one from Tom where he indicates that he may know a chap I’m searching for. Via PM and email, Tom and I narrowed the search down a bit. Through the 2 SQN Association I’ve been provided the contact details of James Potter and have been in touch with him.

By pure coincidence, at almost the same time James, had contacted the 2 SQN Association trying to source a cloth patch. This is quite amazing when it came to light that James now lives in Scotland.

I’m deeply indebted to Tom for doing some leg work for me and making the connection. The first step was having this forum available to make the initial post.

In the near future I’ll be putting James’ Vietnam War campaign medal in the post so that it is returned to him.

Yours in service,

Glyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every one,

Just to close the loop, I've received an email from James Potter and his medal is now safely back in his posession. We have also determined that he is entitled to a couple of more medals for his service in the ADF. He will now apply for them.

I've recently returned a WWI BWM to the family of a 2nd Light Horse Regiment digger. The story will be the subject of a piece on A Current Affair and will be aired next Thursday or Friday (31 May or 1 June) if any one in Australia is interested.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Can I, as a civilian, salute you, Sir? :huh:

Because I am doing so anyway.

You are providing a wonderful service.

Cheers

Kim

PS Get to meet the General next week!

• 3 weeks later...
I've recently returned a WWI BWM to the family of a 2nd Light Horse Regiment digger. The story will be the subject of a piece on A Current Affair and will be aired next Thursday or Friday (31 May or 1 June) if any one in Australia is interested.

For those who have emailed me about the ACA story thank you very much, it has generated considerable interest and a few leads. I'm also about to receive an influx of medals to research!

If anyone is interested, the full story is now available to view via the internet. Please go to the link below and then click on the screen in the top right hand corner.

http://www.lostmedalsaustralia.com/

Yours in service,

Glyn

• 3 months later...

Just to add my general thanks to your efforts, you're doing a really wonderful thing. My grandfather's WWII medals got stolen from my grandmother's house some years ago and I'm sure we're not the only ones this has happened to! Just to add that if anyone else has had something similar happen, next-of-kin can apply for replacements from the MoD - I know it's not quite the same but it's better than nothing!

• 3 weeks later...

I've read all of the replies and taken the comments in, and a lot being said about family members not being bothered is unfortunately true. I myself have been researching my Family Tree for the last few years and the sense of belonging and pride in Family has grown enormously. I found out that my Grandfather, Jasper Jackson was in the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and survived, 'The Old Contemptibles'. He served in the 2nd Middlesex Regt. I asked my Father why I'd never been told about this, and would you believe, he didn't know himself! He was born 9 years after the War and his Father never talked about it. Then I found another 3 relatives on my Mother's side, 'Housden's', one being a 1st Cousin of hers who died aged just 19 in 1918. She didn't know anything either.

This leads me to wonder, was it the horrendous experiences? Seeing friends dying all around you, that led to a certain apathy, or mental distancing from the Wars, which led to medals being hidden like the memories? Interesting.

Either way, my relatives who fought, and in my Mum's families cases all died for us, has led me to feel an enormous sense of pride for them, and I would give anything to get their medals back into the Family! My quest has started, and if there were more people like Glynn, then perhaps I'd stand a better chance. here's hoping!

Nick Jackson

Hello Nick and thank you for your comments.

Are you in the UK? If so it might be worth putting a post on the British Medal Forum website. The people there are very helpful and if any one has come across your families medals they will let you know.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Editied to add British Medal Forum web site link:

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/index.php

Thanks for that recommendation Glyn.

I've just registered and posted on the site. Here's hoping!

I am in the UK, but from reading many posts it seems to me that medals can turn up anywhere in the world. I'm not expecting miracles but just to track down one of my relatives medals, especially if it was to be my Grandfather, would be a miracle in itself as far as I'm concerned. It saddens me that I'm apparently the first of an enormous family to even think about or attempt to do this. Are people too self consumed nowadays to feel pride and gratefulness to ancestors who changed history?

Nick

Hello everyone,

Earler this year Iggy, from this forum, forwarded to me the BWM awarded to 7107 William Patrick Ivory, 1 Bn, AIF. I'm happy to report that today, with the help of some dedicated assistants, I spoke to Ivory's great nephew. The medal will be returned home soon.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Glyn ... congratulations again to you and your band of happy helpers :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 3 weeks later...

Hello every one,

Today marks a significant day for me. My web site had its 5000th hit and I also returned the 300th medal.

Hope you don't mind me sharing this but it is very exciting for me and a lot of people on this site have assisted me getting to this point.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Well Done again Glyn!!!!

Its an honour to help you in such a wonderful cause :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra