Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning Lost Medals

Glyn Llanwarne

Hello everyone,

A lot of members of this forum have asked me for information about the medals awarded to Australians during WWI. In an effort to make information available to as many people as possible I have created a blog to compliment my web site.

I hope it is a resource that people can use.

Yours in service,

Glyn

• 2 years later...
Just gleaned a little extra on the First World War British men named above, all from NA online. Might be of interest to our regimental experts/enthusiasts.

Pte. 14420 Ralph Dudgeon, Coldstream Guards

Pte. 4524 William Cleaver, Bedfordshire Regt.(also Pte. 617733, London Regt.)

Pte. 21904 Samuel Cryer, Border Regt.

Pte. M1/08623 Charles C Pearson, ASC Indian Cavalry Supply Column

Pte. 50227 Ernest Snell, KRRC (also 325950, London Regt.)

Drv. 740 Forbes Sutherland, RE (also 406324, RE)

Hello every one,

I would like to bring members up to date on this list of medals which Stephen so kindly assisted me with.

This morning I received an email from the great niece of PTE Dudgeon who came acros the entry on my web site about him. It was the information of his christian name and regiment that made the link possible. This link will give a bit more information and show the medal:

http://lostmedalsaustralia.blogspot.com/20...nal-return.html

In April I also managed to return the BWM to PTE Pearson. What made this one rather special is that his son contaced me. Once again it was the detail of his full name that finally bought it all together.

http://lostmedalsaustralia.blogspot.com/20...al-pearson.html

Thank you Stephen.

Yours in service,

Glyn

Hello again,

There are several questions here so I'll answer in order.

Yes I'm of Welsh heritage, my Grandfather moved out here following WWI. He served with the RE. However, the ability to sing has been bred out of me.

No, I attempt no cost recovery. I started out purchasing medals (which can be expensive) but now I get so many referals from the AWM, RSL or by word of mouth I don't have to buy any medals. I can now use my resources for research. I've had some very kind donations that pay for postage but I don't seek any payment at all.

Of all the families I've contacted I've not had any negitave responses. All have been very appreciative. I haven't sensed that any would sell for a quick dollar after I've returned the medals. As Kim said we have had a huge increase in interest in that part of our national history over recent years. The three main reason for medals not being with the veteran or the decendant is they have been stolen, sold or lost. If stolen or lost then the family didn't want them gone and if sold then the later generations want them back.

I also get contacted by many people who are trying to locate missing medals. This is very hard and I have only been successful on one occasion when I saw a set I was looking for on ebay.

I understand why medals are sold and why people collect them. I have no problem with this at all. I'm just glad that people take an interest in a persons service for their country. I'm interested in medals that are found at the tip, picked up from the gutter after ANZAC Day, recovered from a house break in or any number of other reason they are not with the veteran or their family. If people then provide them to me to return I'll make every effort to do so. I have established a very helpful network of contacts amongst different research groups as well as working out to unlock old records (Australian at least) which makes this type of research that little bit easier.

I really appreciate the comments I've had and the chance to converse with you all.

Yours in service,

Glyn

glyn fantastic work it almost brings a tear to my eye . i know what others are saying, todays youth have no respect for the past. i bring my daughter to rembrance services every year and at 12 she fully realizes what "the old guys with the sparkley medals" did. what you are doing is fantastic and you should be knighted. now that i've

buttered you up,if you evercome across a set to alexander leiper #2993 gordons

or 64543 MGC (same man) i would love to have my great uncles set. thanks

• 1 year later...

MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION 222 Lieutenant Colonel Glyn David LLANWARNE,

For service to veterans and their families through the recovery of military insignia.

Established ‘Lost Medals Australia’ in 2000 to locate and return campaign medals awarded to Australian veterans that had been lost. Recovered medals and returned them to the original recipients or to their families and/or descendants.

Glyn, the recognition you richly deserve. Well done!

...One word of caution regarding the returning of lost medals. Thanks to this forum, et. al., I am a bit gun-shy when it comes to this. I have a medal for valor awarded to a sergent from WWI and was contacted a coupla years ago by a "family member" who wanted me to return same. My feeling was that this was another rip-off. This particular individual probably had his WWI trio and wanted to complete the set in order to flog it at a higher price. I said "No" and after that, all correspondence from this individual ceased. Please be aware that such creatures exist and feed on sympathy and grief.

Dr B

• 3 weeks later...