Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Occurrences on the Western Front

Rodge Dowson

Uncle Bill,

sounds like a great idea to me! but ... snip...

Sweet dreams to you all,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Funny enough the same thing happened to my wife and i at Avrils,we were lying on top of the bed having an afternoon siesta when the door opened and stood there wearing only a towel was a canadian,it was the idiot from next door who was lucky he never got my boot up his ass,and to make it worse he never even said anything!!!

• 1 month later...

It's a funny old business isn't it. Like most of you here, I have had an abiding interest in the Great War for years and I never seem to get bored of it. I'd like to believe in regression, and I have no reason either way to believe in it or not, but for me I could never fully believe the results, even if they were on the surface astounding. I've read so many books about the subject over the years that I can't even remember some of the stuff I've read about, so even if I started relating a story which on the surface I had no prior knowledge of, I couldn't guarantee that I wasn't just repeating something from the depths of my memory that I had read years before.

Having said that, I like all this supernatural stuff so I would be interested in hearing the story of anyone who has been regressed. I've never experienced any WW1 related stuff, but when I was a student I lived in a house where some weird stuff went on. On one occassion, I was in the house on my own in my room late at night, when I clearly heard someone walk up the stairs next to my room and then knock loudly on my door. When I opened it no-one was there or in the house at all. Another time, me and my friend were sitting in the living room talking when we both heard some loud footsteps before the living room door swung open. We both stopped talking and looked round to see who it was - again, no one there,and we were the only people in the house...

Incidentally, I have heard that Elton John is convinced he is the reincarnation of someone who was killed in the Great War...

• 3 weeks later...
I have some inexplicable photographs and negatives within a sequence I took in Gommecourt Wood about ten years ago. I don't wish to describe them on the Internet, but they are chilling both to me and to my scientific, completely rational husband.

I wondered whether anyone has investigated or written about local people's views on this theme? For example, has anyone recorded local people's accounts and experiences?

Gwyn

Hello although this is old news, but I would love to see your pictures. We go out to France quite a lot and have a static in Authuille.

Regards Carol

Incidentally, I have heard that Elton John is convinced he is the reincarnation of someone who was killed in the Great War...

That'd be Mata Hari,no?

I'm not surprised, the way he 'sings'...

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:

...............Ben Elton was probably a trench rat in the 'other life'!!!

tim

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0180-2.jpg

Heres one for you then, i visited my grandfathers grave early one morning, there was a very heavy dew, and no one else had visited the cemetary as there were no footprints, i took this photo and left, when i loaded it onto my pc, there were two sets of footprints, one set leading directly to my grandfathers grave.

your foot prints coming back ?

Well my tale is not supernatural as such but it’s a bit spooky. My maternal Grandfather Captain Frederick Veltom served on the Western Front with the supply units.

My mother told me that in one particular billet he was placed in with some other Officers they could hear in the middle of the night the clanking of chains coming from the attic. After a few nights of these disturbing interruptions they decided to investigate - regardless of the protestations of the man and woman of le maison.

They discovered a girl of teenage years, clearly deranged and changed to the wall. Her parents’ had hid here there through shame because she was mentally retarded....

Sad really.

no, i walked upto the point where i took this photo, then walked back to the gate.

spooky.......

Well my tale is not supernatural as such but it’s a bit spooky. My maternal Grandfather Captain Frederick Veltom served on the Western Front with the supply units.

My mother told me that in one particular billet he was placed in with some other Officers they could hear in the middle of the night the clanking of chains coming from the attic. After a few nights of these disturbing interruptions they decided to investigate - regardless of the protestations of the man and woman of le maison.

They discovered a girl of teenage years, clearly deranged and changed to the wall. Her parents’ had hid here there through shame because she was mentally retarded....

Sad really.

How horrible. In that generation, people probably wouldn't have understood so much about things like that, and, in some cases perhaps even been frightened by it. So, they kept her suppressed.

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1189797687.jpg

post-11197-1189797539.jpg

These pictures were taken straight after each other, milli seconds between, I hope you can see what looks like an orb to the left of the bottom cross. Barrie can you post your photograph taken at the same time with the orb in a different place please. Nothing was seen floating past as we both clicked at the exact same time. Barries orb is to the right of the cross and a lot higher.

I agree it may be a small spider in the wind (do you get perfectly round spiders) but then again it may be an orb. Who knows

Kevin

I have just returned from the Somme only just under 2 days ago. I stayed at Les Galets campsite which is just outside of Auchonvilliers and which is run by Avrils sister i believe. I was camping on my own in a tent without any other campers on the site expecting to be spooked by something as it was on the old front line occupied by the 16th Middlesex Public Schools Batt. At night time i switched off my light expecting to see things or hear strange noises but im happy to say it was very peaceful. I do believe in all things supernatural but the Somme and all the old soldiers who lived and died there are at peace.

I have never been to such a place where i felt such at ease whether by day or night.

I have just remebered of a weird thing that happened on the Somme. I visited Munich trench on the Somme by bicycle.

I arrived at the cemetery and opened the cemetery book. As soon as i opened the book i read in memory of Thomas Clarke and a picture who is buried in the cemetery. As soon as i saw this i was well spooked as this is my name and the chances of this happening must be low. Is this a message?

Guest KevinEndon

there was a full moon that night but it was behind us. The photo makes it look a little darker than it really was, it's just one of those strange things that appear of photographs however I took 8 photos of the cross Barrie took about 6 and both only have one picture with the circle of light in it.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was researching some medals to a Captain Bowyer-bower, I unearthed this on the net and the hairs stood up on my neck...

The case of Captain Eldred Bowyer-Bower, a British ariman who was shot down and killed over France during World War l. At the moment of his death, his phantom was reportedly sighted by two people, both relatives, many thousands of miels apart, one of whom was in India and the other in England.

On the morning of March 19,1917, Captain Bowyer-Bower's half-sister, Mrs Spearman, sat cradling her baby in a hotel room in Calcutta, when she turned to see the flier standing behind her. His face, she later reported, wore a "dear mischievous look," as if his appearance was part of some youthful prank. Although the captain's presence in her room was unexpected, Mrs Spearman was delighted to see him, having no indication that anything had gone wrong. With a brief word of greeting, she turned to put her baby into its crib so that she and Captain Bowyer-Bower could have a talk. When she turned around again, extending her arms to give her half-borther a hug of welcome, he had disappeared.

At nearly the same moment, halfway around the world in Great Britain, Captain Bowyer-Bower's sister, called Mrs. Chater, had a similarly unsettling experience. As Mrs. Chater was dressing early in the morning, her three-year=old daughter came skipping gaily into the bedroom to report that downstairs she had just seen "Uncle Alley Boy," a nickname they oung girl had for Captain Bowyer-Bowes. When Mrs Chater reminded her daughter that her Uncle Eldred was in France, the child stubbornly repeated that she had seen him downstairs.

Later that same day, Mrs Chater wrote of the incident in a letter to her mother- not because she found the occurrence so remarkable but to illustrate the fact that the girl thought of her uncle frequently. Neither Mrs. Chater nor Mrs. Spearman learned of Captain Bowyer-Bower's death for several more days.

ok,here goes.i don't believe in things i can't see or there is no possitive proof of,but last year i went to visit my great grandads grave at hooge crater cemetery.we had a good day and i was feeling fine until i walked into the cemetery.as soon as i went in i got a really bad headache out of nowhere.i told my sister and we went to his headstone.as soon as we left the headache went away as quickly as it came on.maybe my greatgrandad was trying to tell me something or maybe it was nothing ,i don't know but it was strange

Can it be that your great grandad was wounded at the head?

Just asking.

Ceasefire