Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Occurrences on the Western Front

Rodge Dowson

You know some people do believe, some people are cynical, but usually, on this forum, people are allowed to have their beliefs and not be mocked.

I see some people are not contributing any more to a couple of threads of this vein, because of being mocked. I wonder what tiny piece of important information they will now hold back, that could have helped someone else.

Kim

Andy - that's really strange. I also had a girlfriend from Birkenhead at university. Her name was Rachel. Hope it's not the same girl or even worse her mother! :)

Kim - I take your point to a degree, but you will never stop the badinage on this Forum. However, I do find this subject fascinating but remain agnostic - whereas you could almost bottle Andy's indignation. Takes all sorts.

Kim - What you haven't heard is what I actually believe, and it was probably a little unfair of me to have witheld the information. I will not go into it in any depth because it is really not appropriate but....Generally speaking the belief in afterlife/ghosts is associated with a belief in a God of some sort or another. This may surprise you but I am a practicing RC with real conviction and a deeply held faith. I believe in God and the perfection of God. If I accept that God is by definition perfect how can I possibly believe that due to some celestial cock-up souls have been left to roam in limbo, lost to God, its unthinkable. I may have gone too far in my criticism of those who see the hand of the supernatural in what is mere coincidence and for that I apologise but it does irritate me beyond words.

Ian - Thankfully the girl was not called Rachel, if she had been I really would have been spooked.

Andy

Andy and Ian, this is where seeing both sides of the question and/or answer is sometimes restricted by our own beliefs.

I prefer to let others see or think what they want. If it has merit and proof, then I look abit deeper.

I can see where you are coming from, but as you have your beliefs so do others. They may not quite run along side yours.

I don't mind the bandiage, I do it in Skindles, but this topic could become quickly out of control if people take umbrage to what may be percieved as having a go at their beliefs. Fine line.

Appreciate your answer, Andy, thankyou.

Kim

G. K. Chesterton:

"The first effect of not believing in God is to believe in anything."

Kath.

G. K. Chesterton:

"The first effect of not believing in God is to believe in anything."

Kath.

I believe in things. I believe in what I can see and touch. I do not believe in delusions, and cobbling together a few "facts" to make a complete story.

I have actually experienced things on the wartime battlefields that I can not explain. I know of someone who was regressed, and I can not explain the results.

Why not just leave it at that?

Beppo

would you be kind enough to share the experience of regression with me either here or or in a private mail? I am in process of looking into this for myself and would enjoy seeing anothers experiences?

Tony

Beppo

would you be kind enough to share the experience of regression with me either here or or in a private mail? I am in process of looking into this for myself and would enjoy seeing anothers experiences?

Tony

Tony

The person who was regressed is now a member of this forum, so it is up to them to give the full story. However, I doubt that they will, since they didn't do so when I mentioned brief details here before.

I have spent many years trying to think how it could be explained, and decided that it can't. Some people here were very quick to denounce the whole thing though, and I believe that this is because of the vast amount of charlatans and deluded people in this area. The minority of genuine cases are ridiculed. So too with ghosts and UFOs.

For the record, the last I heard, the person who was regressed was still trying to think of a logical explanation for the whole thing, and was tending towards an/the "akashic record" - if I have remembered that correctly?

Tony

The person who was regressed is now a member of this forum, so it is up to them to give the full story. However, I doubt that they will, since they didn't do so when I mentioned brief details here before.

I have spent many years trying to think how it could be explained, and decided that it can't. Some people here were very quick to denounce the whole thing though, and I believe that this is because of the vast amount of charlatans and deluded people in this area. The minority of genuine cases are ridiculed. So too with ghosts and UFOs.

For the record, the last I heard, the person who was regressed was still trying to think of a logical explanation for the whole thing, and was tending towards an/the "akashic record" - if I have remembered that correctly?

Here is the original thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=22398&st=0

Tony

If you can't find the original posting PM me and I will tell you the basic story, no "modern day" names though. For the record, the last I heard, the person who was regressed was still trying to think of a logical explanation for the whole thing, and was tending towards an/the "akashic record" - if I have remembered that correctly?

Bep

I am a firm believer in inherited or folk memory, but not akashic records as such, even though the two are not that far apart. Genetically we inherit physical characteristics, so why not memory and experience, from an evolutionary point of view it makes sense.

Andy

Bep

I am a firm believer in inherited or folk memory, but not akashic records as such, even though the two are not that far apart. Genetically we inherit physical characteristics, so why not memory and experience, from an evolutionary point of view it makes sense.

Andy

Andy

I am not even 100% sure of what is involved in this akashic record stuff, and though I would agree that instincts are inherited I doubt they stretch to the exact names of almost forgotten WW1 soldiers.

My own view is that a logical modern man is looking for a reason to explain what logic tells him can not be the case. I would say, what happens happens and just because we don't yet know why it happens is no reason to make stuff up. :)

Stuff to drive you crazy.

If you see it, hear it, but can't explain it, even though you are a well balanced, intelligent, sane person, then what is it?

There is more to life, than what you can do with the five senses.

Kim

Myself, I tend to lean towards electrical waves generated by events either sticking in certain places, or perhaps looping back like a radio signal. It seems to me, the stronger the emotions connected with a place, the stronger is the imprint.

The Catholic Church has never ruled out the possibility of ghosts, and interestingly enough ask any nun and she'll tell you about old Sister Whoever, who kept the accounts, and came back to tell her successor where to find everything. My wife teaches at a girls' high school formerly run by the Felician Sisters (she was there as a student during those years). The Guidance secretary is a hard-nosed union negotiator, who also has MS. When working late one night, she saw a nun in a wheelchair. The older teachers told her that the first Head of Guidance was one of the sisters - who also had MS.

My own view is that a logical modern man is looking for a reason to explain what logic tells him can not be the case. I would say, what happens happens and just because we don't yet know why it happens is no reason to make stuff up. :)

I think that you and I have come to a consensus. :)

I go for the coincidence theory to explain of a lot of strange occurrences. I have one "occurrence" to report but have never mentioned it before because I don't think it's particularly strange.

A few years ago, my wife and I were at breakfast at Varlet Farm. Also at the table was another family - a mother, father and daughter. This was our first meeting.

From their voices we could tell that they didn't come from our part of the country, but as we talked to them it became clear that they used to live in the same town as us. The daughter used to go to a school not far from my house and I asked if she remembered one of the teachers there, she did and was amused to know that I have been going to the pub with him each Friday for about 30 years.

Then the father mentioned that they had heard the teacher's name before because a friend of theirs, "Steve", knew him.

It turned out that the "Steve" they knew was my best man, and the day of this conversation was my wedding anniversary.

I don't think there were any mysterious powers at work behind this chance meeting. I think it was a purely coincidental meeting, and I think I would felt the same if - on my wedding anniversary - I had come across the name of my best man by walking into a cemetery and seeing a grave with his name on it.

Tom

I did not wish to add further to what has happened to our family over the years,but reading some of the posts,I have to join in again.Apart from the strange things that happened to one of our cars after paying a visit to one of the cemeteries on the Somme.Years ago our youngest Daughter was shown some photo's of my Husbands Father who had been killed during the fall of Singapore,she started to cry and said I have seen that man standing at the top of the stairs in some sort of uniform.Make of this what you will,I firmly believe that there are such things as ghosts,all the members of our family share that view,we do not mind being held up to ridicule,we just smile.

Joan

A strange occurance on the Western Front but not supernatural!

Last year i took a party over and we stayed at Avril's.

As we sat down for dinner with the other guests one of my party found himself sitting opposite his next door neighbour who had travelled there with a different party!

Neither of them knew the other was going and neither of them knew the other had an interest in the Great War!

Obviously this was just 'chance' but also a little bit spooky.

Regards,

Scottie.

Joan,

Believe in what you feel, i don't ridicule you, However I find it strange that some people readily believe in their respective 'God's' but don't believe that ghosts exist! (Just a thought!)

Believe in what you feel, i don't ridicule you, However I find it strange that some people readily believe in their respective 'God's' but don't believe that ghosts exist! (Just a thought!)

Tone

To try to address your thought.

In my opinion, by accepting the existence of God this ,by definition, precludes the possibility of the existance of ghosts. As God is defined as "perfect, omnipotent, and the omniscient originator" He could not allow an anomaly such as "lost spirits" or ghosts to exist........... to do so would be an imperfect action and could be used as a direct argument against the existance of God. (basically a Kantian argument) . http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Mode/ModeDeLo.htm

Andy

The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

I am sure these words would have been said over dying and dead soldiers on the battlefield. If soldiers believed in these words, and were open to the notion of spirits as they lay dying, what possibilities does that open up? The ones that did not want to die, but were mortally wounded, may have left disturbed spirits, or ???????

Any thoughts?

Kim

The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

In my opinion, a long time ago, someone either misunderstood the meaning of the Holy Spirit, or chose to make it more of a specific entity, something rather more identifiable. I don't believe the Holy Spirit to be a spirit in the ghost sense - I take it to be the feeling of empowerment/joy/fulfilment felt within when someone is truly converted and believes wholeheartedly. So this would make the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to be found within you, rather than the third deity being a ghost-like figure.

Taking this a step further, this then means that having the above quote said over dying soldiers doesn't really have anything to do with spirits/ghosts as we normally think of them. The condition of the soldiers' souls would be another thing entirely.

Jon.

"I don't believe the Holy Spirit to be a spirit in the ghost sense - I take it to be the feeling of empowerment/joy/fulfilment felt within when someone is truly converted and believes wholeheartedly. So this would make the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to be found within you..."

Thank you, Jon. Well put.

Kath.

Personally I don't think that this Forum is an appropriate place to either discuss comparative religion (always controversial) or post faintly condescending "Thought for the Day" style DIY dogma about what sort of chap the rather theoretical Holy Spirit might be and where he might reside.

Personally I don't think that this Forum is an appropriate place to either discuss comparative religion (always controversial) or post faintly condescending "Thought for the Day" style DIY dogma about what sort of chap the rather theoretical Holy Spirit might be and where he might reside.

I find it much more edifying then the trite nonsense spouted about "ghosts" on this and other threads.