Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Occurrences on the Western Front

Rodge Dowson

Lonsdale cemetery, I was back at Chavasse when Willy came back showing us the photograph. He seemed perplexed at to what had happened and he was totally genuine when he says he has no idea as to how it could have happened.

see post 284 please

Quote Bonfire: "Kim, I'm not averse to supernatural experiences one bit having had several myself in Flanders, Little Bighorn and elsewhere but I think I can offer a possible un-supernatural explanation. Those statues are black and sort of porous if memory serves. Could it be condensation from the moisture on and in them being released by the sun? Any scientists out there with something better?

cheers

Bonfire"

Good thought, except they were still in some shade of a tree, and it was mid morning, if I remember correctly.

Thinking along your lines, I'd expect it to be more like steam rising from a hot road or warm water, but this was more a cloud of mist, if you get what I mean, that hung over and around them. It just struck me as strange.

Cheers

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this topic i remembered reading this extract from ww1. Even then strange occurnces were experienced.

I remember that summer a strange thing happened. One day I found, and started painting, the remains of a Britisher and a Boche—just skulls, bones, garments—up by the trenches at Thiepval. I was all alone. My faithful Howlett was about half a mile away with the car. When I had been working about a (p. 040) couple of hours I felt strange. I cannot say even now what I felt. Afraid? Of what? The sun shone fiercely. There was not a breath of air. Perhaps it was that—a touch of the sun. So I stopped painting and went and sat on the trunk of a blown-up tree close by, when suddenly I was thrown on the back of my head on the ground. My heavy easel was upset, and one of the skulls went through the canvas. I got up and thought a lot, but came to the conclusion I had better just go on working, which I did, and nothing further strange happened. That night I happened to meet Joffroy, and told him about these skulls, and how peculiar one was, as it had a division in the frontal bone (the Britisher's). He said he would like to go and make a study of it; so I brought him out the next morning to the place, I myself working that day in Thiepval Wood, about half a mile further up the hill. I left him, saying I would come back and bring him lunch from the car, as it was difficult for him to get about. When I did get back I found him lying down, not very near the place, saying he felt very ill and he thought it was the smell "from those remains." He had done no work, and refused even to try to eat till we got a long way away from the skulls. I explained to him that there was no smell, and he said, "But didn't you see one has an eye still?" But I knew that all four eyes had withered away months before. There must have been something strange about the place.

AN ONLOOKER IN FRANCE

1917-1919

BY

SIR WILLIAM ORPEN, K.B.E., R.A.

LONDON

WILLIAMS AND NORGATE

Pictures and Text, Copyright 1921

by

Sir William Orpen, K.B.E., R.A.

Printed in Great Britain by Richard Clay & Sons, Limited,

Paris Garden, Stamford St., S.E. 1, and Bungay, Suffolk.

cooee

petrick

I recently found this example of contemporary 'strangeness' within William Orpen's 'An Onlooker In France 1917-1919', which I hope will be of interest to this thread:

"I remember that summer a strange thing happened...

Reading this topic i remembered reading this extract from ww1. Even then strange occurnces were experienced.

I remember that summer a strange thing happened...

Only about two months late Petrick ;)

• 8 months later...
I'm new to the Forum, but have had a little time recently to add something.

I have taken my son and daughter to France and Flanders on several occasions in the last couple of years and have, as they have grown older, increased the historical content of our trips. I have told them of my Grandfather and Great Uncle, who served for the duration, and was KIA and decorated, respectively, and also had taken them to many of the same places that I was shown on the Western Front, at a similar age. This, however, may be of interest. In Aug 07, we were in Ypres with my wife, staying at the Cherry Blossom in Vlamertinghe. At approximately 1900 I dropped my wife off at the B&B, as she wanted to rest up, and then I continued, hoping to make best use of the evening, to take a drive with the kids and to do a recce for a new restaurant.

Due to the fact that my wife and kids do not have the interest that I have, I deliberately had not concentrated on visits to cemeteries on that occasion, but that evening passed Bedford House Cemetery with the kids in tow (they are aged 14 and 12), so decided to pop in - just for something to do. I do not habitually check the Cemetery Register, but did so on that occasion, and (as you do) looked up my own surname. I found a match, a Pte in the South Lancs Regt, who was KIA during Second Ypres. His initial was a "P", and he was born in Widnes (where my Grandfather's family came from). I casually noted to my son (whose name begins with a "P") that this man was probably a relative, as our surname is unusual, and that his first name is a "family name".

We returned to the UK a few days later, and upon arrival, we looked on the CWGC site, to discover that my son's (and my father's) first name "Peter" was the same as this man. Further investigations revealed that he was, indeed, a relative; a cousin of my grandfather.

Our next visit was in October 07. We took over a rosebush to plant (an English (Lancashire) Red Rose) in front of the headstone. We have visited every time we have been in France and Flanders since, most recently this April.

In April we arrived at Bedford House to pay our respects and to "say hello" (and you will surely know what I mean by this). It was early evening and the sun had just set. My son, daughter and I walked to the grave of 10717 Pte Peter Dagnall S. Lancs Regt (look him up if you visit, please), checked on the rosebush, which was strong and in bloom, paid our respects and left. I had no incredible experiences and felt at peace, amongst friends and entirely welcome, as it were. Back in the car my son, who had been quiet up until that point, reluctantly and gradually described how, he had the intense presence, to his left, of a person joining us in line once we got to the steps past the moat, walking in parallel to us as we walked to the grave side and accompanying us until we left. He is a level-headed young man, and not one to make up stories; we had not spoken of any supernatural element to all this.

Just thought this may be of interest, and also the following post on the Army Rumour Service website on a similar topic. I post under the same user name, and after 23 years in the British Army, and having served in Bosnia and Kosovo on very many occasions, and most recently in Iraq, do not consider myself to unduly sensitive or fragile. For your interest, and of a more recent war:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewto.../start=240.html

Best wishes for the New Year.

DH

I told someone about this incident recently, and thought I'd post an update. Pte Peter Dagnall has now been added to the family tree, which a relative of mine has researched for the last twenty-five-plus years. Until now, nothing was known of his fate, although it was believed that he had served in the Boer War, as he was not listed in the 1901 Census. This has now been confirmed by a fellow Forum member, who had seen his medals for sale at a militaria fair comparatively recently. Peter enlisted or, rather, rejoined the Colours in 1914, and was sent to Ypres in early 1915, where he saw action several times, including at Hill 60, prior to his death. He was originally buried in Ypres Railway Cemetery but was later re-interred at Bedford House.

So, at last "found", accidentally, by his distant relatives, including my son who carries the same name.

• 4 weeks later...

HI i I help out at the C,W.GC. in Ypres two years ago working for the swiss red cross. copying docs some for them she asked if i would like to visite any of the battle fields , so said yes Frommels

if ok Frommels be ok ,if we could go early before any one around , five on saturday morning she colleced me from my hotel and drove of ,parked by gate to field and walked along hedge for some 200mtrs. and sat down a bit wet it was 5.30 am. she kept chatting so asked if she would stop talking at 5.33 heard whistle then rifle fire , machine gun fire , shouting, by this time she became very frightened .we both got up and all the sounds stopped ..

Was that real she asked ???? .....

PS the docs. i copy are into breille . ( not the first time i have heard this)

• 2 weeks later...

I was Warden at Talbot House in February 2008 (see earlier posting about otherworldly things that happened that time) and 2009.

Last February, 2009, when I was there, just one odd thing happened. I spent first night there completely alone in the house. The next morning one of the staff asked me about a large room key she had found upon arriving for work. It was stuck in the big door at the front entrance, on the INSIDE of the door. Very strange and also pointless as one does not lock the door from the inside. It locks automatically. It was from one of the un-rented guest rooms and I know it was not there at bedtime because I always check front and back door before retiring. In any case there had not been anyone in the house other than myself since the staff left for the day in the late afternoon. In the ensuing 6 or 7 hours before bed I would have noticed it. Someone or something playing tricks?

Bonfire

• 4 weeks later...

New to the forum here and just reading all the old threads and garnering some very useful knowlede. I am truly amazed at the people here on this forum who have helped me with my research and seem to endlessly help others with their kind help and expertise. I would never criticize anyone for their opinion or beliefs as we are all different and it is that which makes our world a better place. I personally do not believe in ghosts or ghouls or supernatural happenings.

I will be brief as possible but suffice to say that I was born in the United States and having an English Mother I have spent time in both America and England. I have not visited my Great Grandfathers Grave as yet as I only was able to track him down about a couple of weeks ago.This was due to the kindness of forum members who gave so freely of their time. I shall be planning a visit in the not too distant future.

Researching my Grandfather has given me a new perspective on the Great War and I have just found out I have other relatives who served so shall be doing them too soon. I hope on this journey that I shall be able to help others in the way that others have helped me and give a little back so to say.

I am equally lucky in that (on the American side of the family) I have my Great Great Great Grandfathers details of his service in the civil war.

I have his diaries I have photos of him I have his personal effects and even have his weapons which he himself had to purchase. So I am lucky to have as much on him as I do. I apologise here for being a bit long winded but felt some background was nescessary in order for readers to understand.

I knew that my GGG Grandfather had fought at Gettysburg and Antietam and having such good documentation decided to visit Gettysburg and Antietam respectivley. Out of all the civil war battles these are about as bloody and as vicious as it gets. I was there once as a child and made my first informed trip there a while ago. Gettysburg was great and jumped in the truck to head south to Antietam. Great stuff and had a lovely time. Met some wonderful very informed and passionate guides and researchers and made some wonderful friends.

I decided to go back and unfortunatley this was after some TV series that had been made "Researching" the ghosts of the civil war battlefields. I forget the name of the show but it pretty much held no interest for me so I didnt bother watching it. I decided that another trip to Gettysburg and Antietam was in order so I called roadtrip and we all headed out. What I found at Gettysburg just plain disgusted me. People all over the place "Ghost Hunting" people selling postcards of ghostly apparitions and all sorts of whimsacle rubbish. "Mediums" and "Paranormal"

tour guides were lining up to fleece the sheep of their money. I have nothing against anyone making money but to me this is nothing short of desecration and defilement of what is to me "Sacred Ground". I fully expect next time I visit there will be a water park on the field at Antietam and Disney world will have built a theme park at Gettysburg. Its very sad to see indeed. My suggestion to these people would be go home and research your family and you may just find you have a family member that served here. Learn your countries history before you embark on journeys of folly.

I have been to many Battlefields and cemeteries in many countries and have only ever felt peace and deep calm. I am always aware of the suffering that took place there. I have been one or two places that made me feel a little uneasy.

Each to their own but I cringe when I hear of another "Ghost" book or film being written or made as it means an upsurge in visitors to these sacred grounds for all the wrong reasons. I dont believe they should be places of entertainment or places to party with ghosts but rather monuments to our fallen heroes on all sides of the conflicts.

I say go to the battlefields and have a good time and have a wonderful learning experience. Have a wonderful time with your friends in the pub at lunchtime or evenings. Make new friends catch up with old ones and celebrate life as those that lie in the ground no longer can.

But to go there to try and get a cheap thrill is nothing short of gross disrespect in my own opinion. I have felt a little odd in places I have been I understand people do have experiences that are odd or unexplained So please do not think I am negativley criticizing anyone.

May God bless you all. Ian.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to Belgium and France, essentially following the journeys of family members who fought and (in one case), died.

I am not prone to flight of fancy, and am likely to be called unimaginative, but we had an occurrence at Delville Wood, which baffled us.

We used our Garmin Sat-Nav to navigate our way around the Somme, and this worked really well, getting us to wherever we wanted to go. We ended up at Delville Wood, and looked at the South African memerial, and then crossed the road to the cemetery. After around half an hour, looking around and taking photographs, we decided to move on.

We went back to the car, set the Sat Nav for the next destination and set off. After about half a mile, we realised that no sound was coming out of it - just the moving map. My wife and I joked that "she" must be half asleep, needed a cup of tea, etc etc.

We reached a junction close to Delville, and the narrative burst into life, but in a language neither of us understood. We put up with this for another half mile or so, until we could stand it no longer. I pulled over, and checked the Sat Nav, keying in to "settings" and "language" modes, only to find that the Sat Nav was talking to us in AFRIKAANS.

I offer this only as a true story. I must add that everywhere we went, every memorial and cemetery, as sad, poignant and moving as they were, filled us with a feeling of peace and welcome, and as I said, we are not prone to being twitchy about anything.

This is just something that we cannot explain - language settings cannot be mistakenly changed by touching the screen accidentally etc, so I am at a loss.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been fascinated by all the postings especially by the experiences of those visiting places like Mametz Wood. Like many others, I have often pondered the origins of my WW1 interests, I am always interested in all military campaigns, but ww1 is best described as a passion that I have had since I was a small child when I would sit quietly, fascinated by my g/uncles ww1 portrait, whilst he and my mother would talk. I and my family have had numerous unexplainable events over the years some witnessed by all of us at the same time, but I have never had a 'battlefield' experience despite visiting battlefields all over the world.

khaki

• 6 months later...

I stumbled onto the tail end of this thread accidentally this afternoon, and felt moved to recount my own modest experience. Before I did so I looked back through the thread, and found that I am merely one amongst many.

In May of 2003 I was on a guided tour of The Somme, my first, and one undertaken without having done any prior 'course study'. Whilst I have always held an interest in WWI, (3 volumes of 20 Years After were very much part of my childhood) I am far more a 'student' of WWII, and my knowledge was actually lamentable. On the second day we visited the Welsh Memorial at Mametz. After listening to our guide's account of the battle, the party progressed on foot towards Flat Iron Copse, but fascinated by the echoes of Mametz Wood from my youthful gleanings, I first wandered alone across the uncut hay to the edge of the feature that I now know to be referred to as 'The Hammerhead', where I turned and took this photograph before entering the treeline. Briefly taking the opportunity to 'water' the German trenchline (I felt it a robustly British thing to do, quite apart from the fact that I was fairly bursting) I pushed about 5 yards into the thicket before quite suddenly being overwhelmed by an intense and completely unexpected sense of something that I can only describe as a brooding weight of atmosphere, both unpleasant and threatening. It had also fallen completely silent. I turned and hurriedly left the treeline. As soon as I stood back on the meadow, the atmosphere had returned to that of a lovely warm May afternoon. However, the feeling of threat had not completely passed, for I felt a certain keeness to put distance between the wood and myself and return to the party. This latter sensation was exactly in accord with others that I have now read on this thread, where several people walking along the track have experienced some profound and disturbing sense of being watched from the treeline.

Somme63_A.jpg

Since taking this photo I have learned those wonderful lines of prose, written about (almost) this very spot;

The gentle slopes are green to remind you of south English places

only far wider and flatter spread,

and grooved and harrowed and criss-crossed whitely,

the disturbed subsoil heaped up albescent.......

...And now the gradient runs more flatly towards the separate sacred saplings

where they make fringe for the interior thicket, and you take notice.

There between the thinning uprights at the margin,

straggle-tangled oak and flayed sheeny-beach bole

and fragile birch whose silver queenery is draggled and ungraced

and June shoots lopped,

and fresh stalks bled

runs the Jerry trench....

I have never returned to Mametz Wood, but in the intervening years my fascination for this place has intensified, and it remains my firm intention to do so, this time armed with a fairly well researched background of what happened here between the 3rd and the 12th of July 1916, helped of course by the extraordinary number of detailed first-hand accounts that have survived from this (in Somme wood terms) relatively brief battle. When I do so though, I am not at all convinced that I will be in a great hurry (even if armed with the requisite permission) to enter the wood alone.

Toby,

Your description of your experience in Mametz Wood precisely matches my own including its rather brief duration!

Regards Ian

PS Mametz gets 28 mentions in this topic.

• 4 months later...

hello all - first poster here ..

Up until last week all i knew about my Great Uncle was that he died at Mametz Wood in 1916.

On a recent family trip to France I realised I was nearby and so I took my 11yr old daughter & 14yr old son to Mametz Wood last week for out first visit to see where my Great Uncle, Private Charles Harris (16th Btn Welsh) died on 7th July 1916.

We were the only ones there on a lovely hot day and off we wandered into the woods (directly opposite the Dragon).

We explored it all and I even in a moment of quiet said (out loud) a small personal prayer to him.

We had a great time exploring and mentally positioning machine gun posts - attackers etc in order that they try to understand a small bit of what it was like.

We were so taken with the place that 2 days later we returned for more exploring and found bits of shell casings much to my childrens delight.

On return to the UK I did a bit more research (with plenty more to do) and have ordered the book "Up to Mametz" to better understand.

I can honestly say there was not one ounce of malevolence or bad feeling when we were there - we are all genuinely shocked to read some of this thread and how Mametz has such a reputation.

My daughter said Charles was looking over us - bless her !

All I currently know about Charles Harris is his name, rank and number from CWGC - I know there are loads of resources about but any ones you recommend ?

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

You make the point well that them as knows take their expectations with them. Alternatively Charles may indeed have been looking after you all!

Interesting to see what your feelings are on your second visit - which I hope may be soon.

A good friend and regular visitor to the Western Front paid a visit to a cemetery in which he had no interest, but where his touring partner wished to see a particular grave. Mike, idling around as one does on such occasions, stopped all of a sudden. He looked down, to find himself standing by a headstone that bore the same name as his own.

I was visiting Ari Burnu, Gallipoli in 1996 and videoing general gravestones, this being my first visit to a CWGC.

Into the viewfinder came the grave of L/Cpl A King.

At the time I was Cpl A King, serving in the RAF.

These things do make your heart skip a beat.

While travelling on the way to Paris in 2003, we decided to visit my Gran's Uncles grave in Flatiron Copse.

I believe we were the first family members to visit.

We had bright sunshine all the way from Chelmsford to Contalmaison. As we approached the cemetry, the heavens opened and I could only

snatch a quick couple of photos of the headstone. As we drove away from the Somme, the good weather returned.

On the way home, again in good weather, we decided to divert to Flatiron Copse again to get a better photo, but as we approached again, we were met with

thunder and lightning. We just drove on by into the better weather.

Ian

Very pleased to hear that your experience was devoid of the odd sense of malevolence that I and many others have spoken of. I reiterate that my own visit took place without so much as a smidgeon of expectation - I knew next to nothing about the place.

There is a thread in this section of the forum (Classic Threads) titled I think 'The Welsh at Mametz Wood 9th July 1916.' In it I posted a fairly detailed timeline of the Welsh attacks on the wood. It includes this section, which may be of interest to you;

7 July Orders issued for attack on Mametz Wood commencing 02:00 with 17th Div on left assaulting Pearl Alley and Quadrangle Support prior to attacking Mametz Wood from west at 08:00 whilst 38th (Welsh) Div attacks south-eastern part of wood in the area of The Hammerhead. This is the first attack on Mametz Wood, and does not appear to involve any assault on centre section of the Wood.

17th Div preparatory attack founders amidst planning confusion in which barrage and subsequent assault becomes disconnected, and heavy rain. 17th Div assault on Mametz Wood fails to reach jump off positions and therefore cancelled.

Meanwhile planned attack of 38th Div along Caterpillar Valley goes in (at 08:00?). Original plan to put two battalions one behind the other with left flank tight on Caterpillar Wood in order to avoid exposing right flank to enfilade from Flatiron and Sabot Copses amended to an attack on a two battalion front with 16th Welch on the exposed ridge and 11th SWB below them on the left flank. Attack quickly runs into trouble when smokescreen on Flatiron and Sabot Copses dispersed by wind, and 16th Welch pinned down by heavy enfilade fire, whilst 11th SWB flayed by direct fire from Hammerhead to their front. Attack is cancelled. Two subsequent attacks, following further bombardments at 11:15 and 15:15 also fail, and all battalions withdrawn, with two companies of 17th RWF moved in to hold line opposite Hammerhead. Meanwhile a further attack by 17th Div on Quadrangle Support and Wood Trenches fails to make progress.

Casualty figure of for day is 400 (38th and 17th Divs combined, or only 38th?). Following failure of 7th July attacks General Philips of 38th (Welsh) Div sacked.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78472&st=100

Your uncle was in the 16th Welch, and therefore he attacked over the ridge to the side of Caterpillar Valley straight onto The Hammerhead, just to my left in my photograph shown a few posts up in this thread, between the mouth of Caterpillar (just visible) and the cemetery. I suspect you probably already knew this from your own research, but you must have walked pretty much across the very soil on which your uncle was killed all those many years ago. I should imagine this must have been an extremely strange and moving experience.

It would be interesting to take a psychic or medium and some normal people to Mametz wood, or somewhere on the Somme without them knowing thats where they were, flown out of the UK and then transported blindfolded etc etc and see if they experience anything. This would help to work out if its prior knowledge and the mind playing tricks or not.

Having said that I was once visiting a Royal Observer Corps bunker that had been a WW2 observation post aswell, and as i went down the ladder in the shaft to the underground room I felt distinctly uneasy and took one photo and couldnt wait to get out. When i got home from that road trip i discovered a farmer had hanged himself in the shaft 15years prior. I had no prior knowledge of this event and cant explain how i felt, but knew i didnt want to stay there. I didnt feel anything when i spent some time in either WW1 sites or WW2 sites in France, and that included overnight camping etc etc and i knew what had gone on in the areas.

I have also take some 'Ghosthunters' round some medieval tunnels and sand mines in Reigate and they whip themselves up into a state of delerium almost, sensing all kinds of stuff that cant possibly be true and photographing 'orbs' etc.

I dont know what i think, i think there is a lot about the human mind we dont understand and i think it is possible that we can pick up on things due to a kind of 6th sense, but im not sure i believe in actual ghosts etc.

I have visited Mametz on several occasions, mostly accompanied by my children. To be honest we have never experienced anything other than the peace and calm which one normally experiences on the battlefields. I suppose it could vary according to the individual, their mood at the time, and also the weather (I'm thinking here temperature, air pressure, etc.)

Perhaps it is an oversight or a rare, uncharacteristic expression of basic respect, but I'm relieved that none of these ghost-lusting shows have gone on the road to France or Belgium to chase Great War spirits. I would be appalled if were to happen. It would, in my view, represent a most profound insult to and unforgiveable degradation of places that are sacred and which have borne witness to events of horrific human violence, suffering and sacrifice. It's fun to toy around with fanciful thoughts of ghosts or spirits but that's ultimately a frivolous pursuit, contrived with the cheap tricks of television-show editing. Such trivialities aren't appropriate to a place like Delivllle Wood or Verdun.

And as an aside, yes, I've watched that stupid ghost show a few times. I have never seen a group of more useless, clueless, fey people. And, no spook or goblin would be as scary as waking up and seeing that hostess without her make-up on in the morning. now that would be frightening....

Perhaps it is an oversight or a rare, uncharacteristic expression of basic respect, but I'm relieved that none of these ghost-lusting shows have gone on the road to France or Belgium to chase Great War spirits. I would be appalled if were to happen. It would, in my view, represent a most profound insult to and unforgiveable degradation of places that are sacred and which have borne witness to events of horrific human violence, suffering and sacrifice. It's fun to toy around with fanciful thoughts of ghosts or spirits but that's ultimately a frivolous pursuit, contrived with the cheap tricks of television-show editing. Such trivialities aren't appropriate to a place like Delivllle Wood or Verdun.

And as an aside, yes, I've watched that stupid ghost show a few times. I have never seen a group of more useless, clueless, fey people. And, no spook or goblin would be as scary as waking up and seeing that hostess without her make-up on in the morning. now that would be frightening....

Yep they are a complete bunch of self-deluding individuals!

I meant with my comment, to try with a mediuma s an experiment rather than a trashy TV program

Hi MrEd,

It would not be surprising if such things were carried out in the immediate post-war period. Jay Winter, in Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning, records the renewed interest in spiritualism during and after the war, with some people, in a effort to come to terms with the loss of a loved one, or learn of his fate, resorting to "mediums" or "spirit guides". This might very well have extended to visits to the battlefields.

What a horrible thought! It is understandable that grieving relatives would have visited soon afterwards in search of solace from unbearable pain. Efforts at "contact" by a group of modern commercially-driven sensation-seekers, with little or no knowledge of or sympathy for what they are investigating, would be truly appalling. I hope that's why the makers of said programme haven't tried this yet, rather than the idea simply not having occurred to them.

I imagine that it's just possible for a sensitive and seemly programme along those lines to be made. I'm not sure who could do it, but it certainly wouldn't be anyone connected with "Most Haunted."