Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Thank you, Rab, for the links. Thank you, Daggers, for the good wishes. Thank you, Malcolm, for the link. (On behalf of Graeme too.)

People's continued interest helps to make it worthwhile. We have a vast amount of material still to upload and I hope for time to do some more in the near future. I have had a lot going on.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

Hi,

William Linton Andrews wrote in his book "Haunting Years" that when he enlisted with the 1/4th Black Watch they drilled and were billeted for a while in a local drill hall. At the time I supposed that this was in central Dundee. In his history of "The Black Watch in the Great War" Major General A.G Wauchope again mentions that the 1/4th were trained and billeted in the Bell street Drill Hall. Unfortunately it is no longer there but it seems to have been located between the current Sheriff Court House and a New library Facility built for the University of Abertay. The original structure was designed in 1866 by the Architect Thomas Saunders Robertson in partnership with other Architects. The original structure was burned down and a replacement built see here for design history

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/archi...l.php?id=100388

Pictures of the building and its replacement can be seen here

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc1205.htm

and here

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc1206.htm although at the moment I can't say which of the buildings was the original.

For pictures of the approximate location today see

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/taysidetoday/Dund...CityCentre2.htm

Hopefully this is of interest

Ian

Excellent - thank you, Ian.

The Dictionary of Scottish Architects is a fabulous resource, which I know Graeme trawled a while ago. I know that Wales has nothing similar and to the best of my knowledge, nor has England.

The archives photos are very interesting; I suppose Dundee Central Library would know which was the original and I could email them. It's also good to have a dated reference (the two books).

Thanks too for saving someone a disappointing trip. In the database, a negative is a positive, if you see what I mean.

We have added to our collection some lovely and idiosyncratic photos of Scottish drill halls and I'm thinking of putting on a Scottish Selection II while we finish the English counties.

Lovely stuff; thanks.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

it's my pleasure. I've had so much help from various people on the forum it is always good when I can reciprocate slightly. After our discussion about R Burns last week I had a look at the Drill Hall link that you had in your signature and that reminded me of the Linton Andrews reference.

The drill hall was still functioning in the 30's. A fur exhibition was held there in Dec 1933. The library should be able to help with the identification of the two drill halls. The picture archive of Dundee is a great resource but i wish that they had more detailed notes attached.

regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there gang,

I just happened to be outside the old Carlton Barracks, Carlton Hill Leeds, and was very disappointed to see the (ancient) vandalism done to the old main gate there.

The main arched doorway all bricked up apart from a small blue door set in it, and the main name board over the what would have been the door as been painted out in black, but if you get the angle right you can make out the the words,Carlton Barracks, Leeds Rifles and in the centre the Battalion coat of arms, I will try to pop along again and see if I can photo it.

I know that you have some photo's of the general aspect.

Cheers Roger.

Thank you, Roger. Disappointing, as you say.

A photo would be nice, especially if you can get the angle right. I suspect that has a lot to do with light as well as angle.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn, I will try my best for you with my digi camera.

{14AE4BDA-34D6-4F7D-A6ED-A588FF29E2E0}.j

Just trying this out, it should show the name board for the Leeds Rifles at Carlton Barracks Leeds, which I wrote about as ancient vandalism.

Cheers Roger.

Have considered making enquiries with the TA & VR Associations?

The Hampshire TAVRA is in Carlton Place, Southampton. This organisation in 1921 put together a book entitled The History of the Hampshire Territorial Force and War Records of Units 1914-1919, which includes each units history, some are more detailed than others but in respect of your question it lists all the buildings erected since 1908.

Roger

Hi there George,

Thanks for that and yes it was just right, and taken on a asmall Sangsun Digi Camera, I took 3 of the nameboard and 3 of the building line and that was during my dinner break at work.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger

I used the volume on Hampshire that you refer to when I tried to chase up some Portsmouth and Gosport locations for the website. Unfortunately The volume that you mention often assumes knowledge, and there are still several locations for which there are neither photographs nor plans. In some cases, (Cosham, Southsea, and Governor's Green in Portsmouth the locations are identifiable, but we have as yet no surviving images.

Keith

Hello, Roger (Popeye): Thank you for those fabulous, poignant images. As you know, we've communicated about them by email.

Hello, Roger (Pounds): Thanks for the suggestion. Apart from the great help Keith gave us, I don't know whether the volume you mention has been used. I don't know whether Graeme referred to it, though I can't recall it in the database.

I believe that the English arm of the TA has been unhelpful and uninterested, and not replied to Graeme's letters, even though last year was their centenary and we are recording buildings from its original years. I've had the same negative experience, with emails and direct letters ignored, which has led me to suspect that the part-time voluntary soldiers of 1908-1914 are of virtually no interest to their current archivists.

Gwyn

{7E5AE6C7-23CF-4D12-92AC-78D78D21F8AA}.j,

Hi there gang just trying out again to see if I have got it right about resizing for forums.

These pici's are of Carlton Barracks Leeds home of the Leeds Rifles, and 2 of them show the arched doorway with the name board I submitted about a fortnight ago.

Cheers Roger.

{DF663DB5-2388-4B4F-93EC-FADA0974ECC6}.j

Here's another

{509A566C-39BD-4430-980C-009D048B31A2}.j

And the final one, the 2 showing the arched doorway are facing down Carlton Hill towards Carlton Gate. in Leeds.

Would you like any photos and details of the drill halls in Halesworth, Suffolk.

There are actually two sites, the old drill hall and the Rifle Hall.

Pm with an email address I can send them to me or just let me know here and I will pop out down the road (50m) and take them.

John

Thank you very much, John. I've sent you a message.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Have you seen this site - http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/search/...1&sort=date

Its from the House of Commons, there is quite a bit onthere about drill halls, that might fill in some of your gaps. I came accross it whilst looking for the mystery hall with train

Grant

Gwyn

I did check the Hampshire TA volume - I might still have a scan of the relevant pages - but they provided no detailed addresses. One day I will get round to making an appointment with the Royal Hampshire Museum who might have some photographs or information, but I gather that it might be a long job, so it will probably have to wait until I retire 9probably 3 or more years to go), as I don't get all that much leave in my current employment. I haven't forgotten the challenge and will find a way eventually.

Keith

Thanks, Grant. I do dip into Hansard to look for drill halls under disposal by the MoD, so next time I'll make a point of doing an historic search.

Keith, you've already given us excellent photos and help with Hampshire, but if you're happy to look forward to another challenge eventually, then thanks! Belated happy birthday, by the way. (I missed the Skindles thread at the time.)

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

Gwyn,

Came across a reference to a drill hall in Sheffield.

It was called the "Edmund road drill hall" and was off Shoreham Street, close to Bramhall FC ground

Not sure if yu have it, or if it's still standing - it was written about in past tense

Grant