Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

A fine old building with stories to tell.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, we have just completed the first upload of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. There is more information to add shortly.

Gwyn

Hi there Gwyn,

Your right the picture with the solid double doors and where the cars are parked outside is the other ranks entrance and the stone steps are worn down where they have tramped over them.

cheers Roger.

Hi there Pals,

Just to finish off Huddersfield Drill Hall, here are the pici's of the memorial panels in there, they are of the 5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment, there are below these panels the names of the 7th battalion although not as many and within hopefully the next few weeks the memorial plaque from Paddock church is going to be installed here as well these are from the 2nd Battalion.

Cheers Roger.

ps thats as small as I can get them to mean owt, but if anybody wants copies of them that I have if you e-mail me I will send them, or endevour to read them for you.

Roger.

:( Hi there Graeme & Gwyn,

Aint it sods law, yesterday(Thursday) I was dropping a vehicle off in Darlington and when i looked at a site on Durham last night I was only about 6 streets away Larchfield Street is where the Drill Hall was, An opportunity missed. SORRY.

Seriously anything else you would like me to have a look at in West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire(The Old West Riding).

Cheers Roger.

Hello Myrtle

I'm afraid I haven't seen any pictures of Shepherds Bush, or the photo of the plaque. Thank you for posting it.

Is the drill hall extant?

Gwyn

Huddersfield seems to have a very dramatic interior, Roger. The drill halls which I've seen with memorial plaques inside (eg Lincoln and Hornchurch - which is at risk) have been poignant places. I'll try and find something I wrote to that effect in a private email and then dedveloped or my architecture course assessment piece, but it's a bit late now.

I can see why it stopped you in your tracks.

Gwyn

Hello Gwyn

Squirrel mentioned the Drill Hall at Shepherds Bush a couple of years ago and Graeme said that he would be taking photographs. That's why I asked if the photos had been obtained. Here is a quick photo that I took between the traffic the other day. The date on front of building is 1898 and the site next door is part of the new gigantic retail site Westfield which is in the process of being built. If you need photographs I will be round that way again in the near future.

Myrtle

post-38-1203730518.jpg

I remember now. I'll have to leave Graeme to answer.

I'm sure pictures would be much appreciated if he hasn't been there himself.

Many thanks!

Gwyn

Hi there Pals,

Here are the pictures of Ossett West Yorkshire Drill Hall, the unit in there at the time was D Coy, 4th Battalion KOYLI.

Cheers Roger.

And another

And again

And finally

Thank you for your continuing support of the Project, Roger.

The second and third pictures down show an arched feature and higher roofline behind the lower storey roof. Do you know what this is? I ask because it resembles a feature I've seen on some other pictures of drill halls in that region.

Gwyn

Hi there Gwyn,

Sorry no but I will try to find out.

The lower building according the chap I talked to said that it was the rifle range, and is still used today by the Ossett Gun Club, you know about the main building and its use.

I couldn't get to the other side of the rifle range without trampling over peoples gardens, and I'm sure they wouldn't have appreciated a hung over lad from Batley stumbling about.

Cheers Roger.

This is what I meant. (I cropped and compressed your image for this purpose - sorry.)

post-16-1203979025.jpg

(Would a hung-over bloke from Barnsley have been ok? I think you could've shown more initiative. ;) I've climbed on top of a car park before now in pursuit of a drill hall shot. :lol: )

Cheers

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

Yes I got it on the third time of reading, stella just starting to weaken hehe.

Cheers Roger.

The Batley beermonster does good once more.

Great pics, Roger. Especially the unit's title.

I wonder if we can get funding from Stella Artois?

Graeme

Myrtle

I should love pics of Shepherd's Bush as I haven't got there yet!

Not that I'm one to demand, but if you could get a three-quarter shot to show the depth...

Thanking you in advance

Graeme

Graeme

I will see what I can do. It is situated next to a very busy junction so I will have to wait for a sunny Sunday when there's less traffic on the roads and try to get there for early morning before too many people have left their houses !

Myrtle

Hi there Graeme,

That would be smashing(hehe)I'd even fetch it from Belguim, there where I first got the taste for it from in Ostende.

I came across Ossett Drill Hall by mistake I had been to the opticians in Horbury, its the next town along and whilst coming back i took the wrong turning and just as I was coming up to the turning I wanted I spotted it and said to the wife " that looks like a Drill Hall", as usual she said something to keep you happy for a while.

No I didn't chuck her out of the car, just took her home and went back.

The wife dosn't usually as it means a ride out somewhere. :P

Cheers Roger.

Hi Graeme & Gwyn,

In my haste to get the pics to you i forgot to give you the address of Ossett drill Hall, its Station Road junction with Fairfield Terrace.

My humble apologies.

Cheers Roger.

Thanks, Roger. That corroborates the address in the database.

I've just begun the preliminary work prior to uploading Yorkshire. Graeme's database runs to 23 pages on this county. :o

Gwyn

Hi to both,

have a look on Ebay for two postcards on the opening of the Drill Hall in Ipswich in 1911.

Expensive I know, but interesting all the same

JPG B)

I am trying to find an old photo of the Drill Hall used by the St Helens Engineers circa 1914. the hall was I understand in Croppers Hill.

Does anyone have such a photo?

Regards

Mark

Hello Mark

I don't think we have one. It might be worth trying the Lancashire Lantern. If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

Gwyn