Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Hi there again,

During my meanderings today I called into the Huddersfield Local History Library, and chatting to the libriarian she got out 4 large scale maps of Huddersfield and thats how I found out the locations of the other 2 Drill Halls and when I left her she was copying them to add to their Drill Hall file and she took a lot of interest in what I was researching, so there file as more or less doubled. :P

Cheers again Roger.

Every now and then I visit this site: what has been achieved is quite awe-inspiring.

This is a major project and worthy of our support.

Best wishes for the future.

Hi there,

It is truely a pleasure to do this as I used to live only 600/700 yds from the old Batley Drill Hall and didn't take much notice of it until the army pulled out and then it became the West Yorkshire Fire Museum, and then with researching my grandad's service my interest was kindled.

Thank you very much for your appreceation, and I know that Dragon(Gwyn) and Graeme will probably also acknowledge your remarks.

On a personel note they also call me Grumpy at work(hehe).

Cheers Roger.

Hello Roger

Thank you for adding even more to our Huddersfield data. The number of librarians throughout the UK who have now heard of drill halls must be quite remarkable and I can't think of a single one who's been anything other than helpful.

I suppose this won't be news to you; Huddersfield memorial plaque restored and placed in the Drill Hall on St Paul's Street?

We're just starting to edit Yorkshire for uploading. It's quite big.

Cheers

Gwyn

Every now and then I visit this site: what has been achieved is quite awe-inspiring.

Thank you very much, David. Your endorsement is very important to us.

We have a huge amount of material still to be uploaded; not just the remaining counties, and revisiting and improving the ones we put on the beta version of the website, but information that we've acquired to add to the existing entries. We'll do this in the near future.

We are also looking into the accessibility question and having an alternative view of pages for people who prefer one. We've just assembled the material for a new section on Drill Halls At Risk and are working on the design at the moment.

Oh, and I promised someone a CD of Welsh drill halls. I dug out those photos last week to re-scan.

I think the Drill Halls project is an example of really positive use of the Internet: a loose and fluctuating team of people brought together in a way which couldn't have happened before, to create an important resource which draws in collaborative contributions and a wide range of visitors.

Gwyn

Best wishes for the future.

I can only echo Gwyn's comments.

This project would be absolutely nowhere without the generous input of Forum members, both on- and off-Forum.

It's quite humbling for my little hobby to be described thus.

Thanks, David.

Graeme

Hi there Gwyn & Graeme,

Gwyn,

I wasn't aware of the plaque, but by coincidence I parked my car outside the Huddersfield Examiner's office yesterday whilst visiting the Drill Hall and the Local History Library, if I'd have know I would have popped in and got a copy.

The plaque wasn't in the Drill Hall when we visited a week ago, there was only the 5th and 7th Battalion's there, so that gives me another reason to revisit the Drill Hall.

Graeme,

Believe me its truely a great pleasure and it certainly beats gardening and painting.

Cheers Roger. :lol:

Hi Gwyn, hi Graeme

I have been checking the Hay on Wye Festival for this May this year, lo and behold the contact address is "The Old Drill Hall in Lion Street".

Were you aware of this one?

Even more interesting, by digging a little bit I found an entry in the New York Times mentioning it .....and this is the piece

To call Hay a ''market town'' is a bit of a touristic euphemism. Its market is secondhand books. Bookstores fill the town, occupying vacated premises, from a former cinema to a Victorian military drill hall

....... from the Arts page 13/2/08

John B)

I've contributed to this collection with a photo of the Bromyard drill hall but now I'm looking for some info on a drill hall in or near Boston.

In 1901 a 'volunteer' wrote to the Boston press suggesting that a new drill hall ought to be built for Boston's rifle volunteers in recognition of the services of the " Gallant Eight" (the 8 volunteers who went to South Africa in Jan 1900 to be mounted infantry). The Artillery Volunteers already had their own drill hall. Things do not move fast in Boston and the "New Drill Hall" was built in Main Ridge in 1913. Two of the "Gallant Eight" were my great uncles and my grandmother, their sister, once told me that there was a plaque commemorating their names in the new drill hall. Can any one provide any further info on this? Apologies if this info is already buried in the elephantine bulk of this thread.

I went to the drill hall in Main Ridge, Boston, a few weeks ago and took a selection of photographs. I couldn't go inside as it was locked up. The drill hall is in use by the Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force who would, I imagine, be able to answer this question. As far as I know, we don't have any information or pictures of the plaque, but Graeme may know more.

Gwyn

John, if you're going to the Hay festival, a photo would be great.

Thanks for the detail. Wales was uploaded as part of the beta version and is going to be reviewed when we've finished England and Scotland.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Since I've been in every bookshop on Hay (no mean feat) I must have been in the drill hall. I may be over there again before the festival if so I'll take a shot.

Do you know who I'd contact in the cadet force re that plaque in Boston?

Hi there Gwyn,

thanks for the link to the Paddock plaque at Huddersfield, after talking to Captain Hey yesterday the plaque should be in place in about 2 weeks time hopefully, then a case of revisiting.

Cheers Roger. ;)

Centurion - No, I don't, I'm sorry. I would have to do an Internet search on Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force, Boston Detachment. In the past I've addressed an enquiry letter to the Officer in Charge, X Drill Hall, address and that has elicited a reply.

A photo of Hay would be excellent if you get the opportunity. Thank you. I have browsed in Hay in the past, some years ago, but I have no memory of the old drill hall.

Roger - That's good. Thanks.

Gwyn

Main Ridge, Boston, Lincolnshire. November 2007.

2264088321_2c817e9aa9.jpg

(Sorry about the car. I couldn't edit it out. Not mine.)

Gwyn

Glad to be of service. I will endeavour to get a photograph for you( in and out with a bit of luck)

Found this about Hornchurch in Essex...

Hornchurch Rifle Volunteers were formed in 1860, and a drill hall was built by subscription in 1866.

In 1892 Henry Holmes of Grey Towers built a drill hall in High Street for them, but they were disbanded by 1898.

From: 'Hornchurch: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 7 (1978)

John B)

Hi,

Re Aston Lower Grounds and the Great Hall.

If you can order via the library system you need to try for "Villa park 100 years by Simon Inglis". It has a superb photograph of the Great Hall interior on pg 37, information on pg 96/97 about the Territorials and another internal shot of the gymnasium.

John B)

Hi there Graeme,

E-mail on its way to you with pici's of Huddersfield Drill Hall, more of the exterior to follow, I only wish I was clever enough to post them for all to see.

When this is completed are there anymore in West/South Yorks not covered yet.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Graeme & Gwyn,

Huddersfield Drill Hall.

The interior shots of the memorial panels will be on there way to you tonight, must get back to work now.

Cheers Roger.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures, Roger. Thank you.

Gwyn

Evening all,

Just to share my joy at managing to sort how to thingy with pici's on to post's. For your eyes to feast here is the General Interior shot of Huddersfield drill Hall.

Cheers roger.

Hi there Gwyn,

I've spat the dummy out how's that then.

Cheers Roger.

It's in good nick, isn't it, Roger! I like the gallery feature. Is the ceiling wooden?

Glad you managed the technology. :)

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

I'll pass on that one until I revisit it, on that balcony is the Company offices and Captain Hey's office is to the right of that big painting.

I was so overwhelmed when i saw inside and especially the memorial panels and the scrapbooks i just lossed it and was speechless, won't be next time.

Realised what i was doing wrong after reading your reply I was trying to do it on Fast Reply instead of Add Reply.

Cheers Gwyn.

Hi all,

Just a further few of Huddersfield Drill Hall.

Cheers Roger.