Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Hello Annie

Thanks for posting this link. We knew about the plaque and that they were trying to decide on a suitable place for it, but I wasn't aware that they had made a final decision. It's good to know that it will be public.

The architect of the drill hall refurbishment sent me a photo of the plaque in 2004 and the biographies of the men named on it. I could post an image if anyone is interested.

We have a lot more material to put online in the Lincoln page of the website, with some really interesting and unique pieces. We hope to add it all in the near future. (Actually, I did a study of Lincoln DH for my architecture course.)

Lincoln drill hall.

I'll update our records - thanks!

Gwyn

I saw this and thought of you. James St Glasgow. Im sure you have a Reg for it.

http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/Bridgeton/Cin...inemasKings.htm

Then a little piccy of Coventry's Victoria Rd Drill Hall

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/iccovent...0C328EC0000.jpg

I have also seen in local reading a referance to The old Drill Hall in Brunel Road, Hinkley. But don't anything about it.

Is the Cresswell Drill Hall still in existence.

Glenn

Glenn:

Yes, Creswell is still in existence. Please see here on our website. We have more material, which I can't upload at the moment because of copyright, but I might be able to scan some and send for personal use. I visited it last September; local pressure saved the building from demolition.

Any particular raeson for asking? Just curious!

I made the mistake of looking for 'Cresswell'. There's one s - Creswell, Derbyshire.

Hope this helps.

Ghost, thank you for the links. Hinckley is on my list for next time I'm in Leicestershire.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Appears that my G/Uncle enlisted there, would say he was working at the Cresswell Colliery as the family was in Wales working in the mines there.

Glenn

Just did some checks and would say it is Creswell, Derbyshire (nor Cresswell Staffordshire, close though) as his wife is recorded as living in Clowne nearby.

Glenn

Would you like some more material? If so, please pm me an email address.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn.

I hope you find the attached of interest.

Morley Drill Hall, Ackroyd Street, Leeds.

Photos courtesy of my good friend mruck (Dave) who has asked me to forward them on to you.

There are a couple of more photos i can forward on if you wish to contact me.

Kindest regards,

mruck/Chris Noble W.F.A.

post-47-1206042312.jpg

Now have another Creswell in Stafford, more checking

As I said in my email, Creswell, Stafford, is very small. If you find a drill hall there, please can you let us know, then we can update our database?

Thanks

Gwyn

Hi Chris and Dave

Thank you ever so much for the pictures. They're very apposite as we're preparing Yorkshire for uploading on the website and I'm just 'doing' Leeds. It won;t be online for at least a couple of weeks, though.

I'll send you an email, Chris. Long overdue... sorry. My mind got waylaid as I was finishing the chapels I was going to ask you about. (Sorry for the terrible grammar.)

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graeme and Gwyn,

I have now got a photograph of the Drill Hall in Frome. I will get a scan sorted out next weekend for you

John

Thank you, John. Apologies for the late response; have been away.

Looking forward to seeing the picture!

Gwyn

Dragon

As you haven't got County Durham on the site yet I could not check if you have these.

Gateshead Burt Terrace and Silksworth.

Both have gone but the foundation stones exist and you can have the pictures.

Regards

David

Hello David

I can't look up exactly what we have on County Durham at the moment, I'm sorry. Graeme would know, as it's his project and I am the mere office junior, so I'll have to let him answer. I'm certain that photos of the foundation stones would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!

There's an email facility on drillhalls.org.

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard today from a work colleague the the drill hall of the 1/9th battalion Middlesex Regiment at Pound Lane, Wiillesden Green, in North London is scheduled for demolition at the end of April. The building is currently used as a hostel for the homeless and permission has been granted to redevelop the site for a purpose built hostel.

High Wood, thank you for that.

A search on Brent's website tells me that this is a locally listed building:

The buildings are a mixture of old and new, most notable being the 1920’s Queen Anne style arts and crafts building, a former territorial army hall that is now the main building on the site. The building is locally listed by the London Borough of Brent

Locally listed buildings don't have the statutory protection that Listed ones do. However, it does mean that it is (was) considered to be of interest. Further on, the Remarks say:

Loss of locally listed building: With the exception of the locally listed former drill hall the site is of low architectural and urban design merit. It lacks visual cohesion due to ad hoc and unsympathetic 20th century interventions which have fragmented the site visually. The drill hall itself has been subject to massive rear extensions in order to provide the accommodation needed on the site

Is the planning report correct in claiming that this is a 1920s building? There are photos on Brent's archives site which are dated 1911 - but is this the same building? (Click on Pictures and search on 'drill hall'.)

If the report is not correct, but the drill hall is earlier, and falls within the remit of the project, would anyone be able and willing to take a photo before it is too late? We would be very grateful.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

I have not visited the site myself but my colleague tells me that there is a huge stone plaque in the wall of the building, (I am not sure of the wording but I believe it mentions Middlesex Regiment and drill hall). I am told, anecdotally, that it is to be incorporated into the new building.

I will try and find out more.

Simon.

Hello Simon

Do you think your colleague would be willing to take a photo of the building and of the plaque in situ? If it's the drill hall shown in Brent's archives, it would be a great shame not to have a photo of it as it is now. And very soon it will be too late for 'if only'.

She or he would be fully credited.

I would do it myself, but London just isn't in my orbit.

Thanks

Gwyn

Simon/Gwyn

If colleaugue is not able to take photograph let me know and I will see what I can do. Willesden Green is not far from where I am based.

Myrtle

Myrtle,

I live in Dorking, Surrey and work in South London, so I don't know if it will be possible to get over there in time. It would be excellent if you could manage the photography.

Gwyn,

Sadly, my colleague only comes into our office occasionally as he is the archivist for the company I work for. He was actively involved in removing casenotes and other documents from the building before redevelopment. He did mention that he would try and take photographs but whether he will or not I cannot say. It would be much better if a forum member could take pictures this weekend. I am not sure if it will be possible to access the site as it may have a hoarding around it.

I will take some pictures of the Dorking drill Hall as I see that there are none on your website.

Simon.

Willesden:

In view of the urgency, not wanting time to pass until it was too late, I also posted this thread here and forum member Hudsonswhistle has offered to help. If he can't, then I may be asking again. Many thanks for offering, Myrtle.

Simon:

Thank you!

John:

Thank you very much for Frome. I have emailed a reply.

Gwyn