Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Blue Plaque for Ilkley Drill Hall - Ilkley Gazette Please see posts by Cooper above this one.

Gwyn

The drill halls project website looks fascinating. I`m in Penzance Cornwall, if you need any pics/help then feel free to send me a message on here and I can have a nose around the area.

‘4th Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (A Co.); head quarters, Corn Exchange, Market House buildings.’ (Kelly, 1914)

These are in the centre of Penzance and used to contain all the the civic offices before larger premises were built down the road. The old market house was built around 1838 and now mainly houses Lloyds bank. It`s situated at the bottom end of Causewayhead. there are a few pics here.

image006.jpg

The facade was changed in 1925

image010.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello William (post #1124)

Thank you very much for the photo. I've managed to locate a document Graeme has written on Glasgow and West Princes Street is mentioned several times. I'm sure he'll be pleased by the photo. It's good to know the main building is being used.

Hello Slick (#1127)

An impressive building. It isn't unusual for towns to make use of large covered spaces like market halls for their volunteer soldiers. Is it still there? Thank you for the offer of help.

All. I'm still without a proper computer so I don't have access to everything we have. Please bear with me if replies are rather vague. Transferring my stuff from a XP machine to a Windows 8 model is unbelievably complicated, and we at Chez Gwyn are very computer literate! I think that's the problem; you're supposed to let kindly Microsoft take you by the hand and lead you into its own little ways.

Gwyn

Wharfedale Observer on Blue Plaque for Ilkley Drill Hall. http://tinyurl.com/cl8b35h

• 3 weeks later...

The attached shows the entrance to Bodmin Drill Hall as it is now.

post-128-0-11836500-1355351026_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi do you have anything on the Drill Hall that used to be in Poplar Road in Leatherhead. I live just around the corner from it and its now a block of flats. I cannot get a photo of it from Leatherhead Local History group.

Thanks

Josturm

• 9 months later...

I'm engaged in a project to record the premises of Britain's Territorial Army in the period 1908 - 1914.

Many drill halls have new owners and uses; many are unwanted and derelict, awaiting demolition and redevelopment. But either way, these important parts of our military, architectural and social history remain mostly unrecorded, and I an trying to do so before the bulldozers arrive!

A number of businesses and individuals have already provided information and images on the basis that I am not involved in any commercial enterprise, and that copyright for all photos remains with the owner of the original image. It is hoped that the information will become a book or website to make it available to a wider audience. All contributors will be acknowledged.

If you can help this project in any way, please email me, or forward this email to anyone you think may be able to assist.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Graeme Fisher

Hi Graeme,

I have just purchased a Victorian building behind the Old Drill Hall in Warwick and within the courtyard itself - I wondered if you had any information on it or photos?

• 5 months later...

Today's challenges for the Pals....

Firstly, Ashington in Northumberland. I suspect the drill hall is at the corner of Eighth Row and Kenilworth road - can anyone confirm? Or photograph?

Secondly, Newburn. We have reference to a drill hall, but nothing is shown on maps. There's a drill hall shown at Walbottle on the1899 OS map, which may be extant. Anyone local?

The drill hall project has been in hibernation of late, due, amongst other things, to Gwyn's interesting times. A series of bereavements have taken precedence, but we are now back on course.

A ny assistance would be welcome.

Mossley drill hall . Manchester rd , Mossley . A red brick building , now owned by a shooting club , making use of its range . Was home to F , H , 7th Duke of Wellingtons West Ridings Regiment , I think .

Firstly, Ashington in Northumberland. I suspect the drill hall is at the corner of Eighth Row and Kenilworth road - can anyone confirm? Or photograph?

I've seen reference to it being on council road, which is off the intersection of those two streets.

Craig

Hello there Graeme, just a heads up about Keighley Drill Hall in West Yorkshire, I know it's oldish news but only just seen it.http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/news_keighley/11030580.print/

Cheers Roger.

Did you receive my photo's of Pickering Drill Hall as I have been having trouble with my email account.

• 3 months later...

There seems to be a server problem with the hosting of our website drillhalls.org. I have, obviously, contacted the company which hosts it. This means that any emails sent to Graeme at the address linked to the website won't be accessible. Therefore, until the site is back, we can be contacted by PM or our private email addresses if you have them.

Edit: Seems ok now for most people.

Gwyn

Hello there Gwyn or Graeme, this might seem a bit odd but what is the difference between a Drill Hall/Drill Station.

At the moment I am doing a daily run in Nottinghamshire and I pass a building that is being used as a community centre but it as the appearance of a small military hall at Carlton and also the building at Bingham which is now a studio and there is also a photograph of it on another site, but if you want me to take one I'm prepared to do it.

Cheers Roger.

If a unit didn't have a purpose-built building, they might make use of a large space in the village, such as a farmer's barn, a church hall, a school, a community hall of some sort. This was a drill station.

I'll comment on Notts shortly - I've got to go somewhere. :)

• 6 months later...

Gwyn,

The drill hall in East Street, Prittlewell, Southend-on-Sea has changed in that the rifle range has now been removed and some new buildings popping up such as new offices and a youth club. Let me know if you need updated pictures for your website. Waited until the new buildings were completed before making you aware.

Andy

The Drill Hall in Cardigan was erected in 1906, having been moved from the nearby village of St.Dogmaels where it was the Drill hall for the local RNR Artillery Battery.

http://www.glen-johnson.co.uk/st-dogmaels-r-n-r-artillery-battery/

It was rebuilt at it's current location in Finch's Square, and was in use as a drill hall at the outbreak of WWII.

The site is currently occupied by the Royal Mail sorting office, whether part or all of the original Drill hall is used, I do not know.

There are many images of Drill Halls locally and nationally here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/WW1-Great-War-Centenary---Drill-Halls/22

Welsh Drill halls are illustrated on pages 21-25 inc.

It’s nice to see drillhalls.org credited so fulsomely considering that Kate Carmichael wrote to me in July 2012 saying now incredibly useful the website was, how pleased she was to see @DrillHalls on Twitter and that she was going to keep in touch “if you don’t mind sharing your hard work”. As soon as I replied positively I didn’t hear another word.

When they launched their home front recording project, I tried to get back in touch and even tweeted them that they were duplicating effort, but they patted me on the head and said they’d be in touch. Which they weren’t.

I’m getting tired of trying to tell these organisations that their bright idea was thought of well over a decade ago. Or, more politely, that a lot of the data is out there already. I have lost interest in bothering challenging them any more.

They might with justification assume that the site is moribund, but Graeme assures me that he has lots prepared and ready to go. For those who know our personal circumstances (mine particularly) the last four years have been extremely challenging because of a succession of close family deaths and consequent estates administration, and maintaining a website was pretty low down on the list of priorities for me.

Gwyn

Heckmondwike Corps of the Salvation Army used the old West Riding Artillery Volunteer Drill Hall in Barrack Street, Heckmondwike as its Citadel for many years, having purchased it in 1882. The SA vacated the building in 1957 as it had been deemed to be unsafe,

This photograph was taken in early 1958 prior to its demolition to allow a new Citadel to be built on the site which opened on 5 December 1959.

post-128-0-27144100-1431596112_thumb.jpg

I first posted here in 2002, warily, having researched drill halls for a year or so, quietly and alone.

Through the generosity of members of the forum, the project grew arms and legs, the response was way more than I could have imagined or hoped for.

Along the way, contributions and encouragement from one Gwyneth Roberts, anonymously posting as Dragon, resulted in the collaboration that became www.drillhalls.org.

Without her, it wouldn't exist.

I'm glad it does; it's used by many as a resource, which is what I intended. Many add to its knowledgebase freely and generously, others plagarise our work without acknowledgement (oh, they get challenged....), but we seem to have become an authority....

There are other pretenders to the throne - Mike Osborne's drill halls book covered more places than our fledgling site did, but with lesser detail; the Geograph project should be seen as complimentary to our work; and the recent English Heritage works are a latter day response to the centenary events.

I don't mind others duplicating our work, as we were around a long time ago, and benefit from the research of others. I always conduct my own research to confirm stuff that others discover.

As Gwyn has said, the last few years have been interesting for us both. The project has been slow to grow, but things have been happening behind the scenes. There are a few counties ready to go, a couple of amazing photographic archives to share, watch this space.

I just want to thank you lot for your generosity and support in building the www.drillhalls.org site into the resource it is; without you it would be a simple database on a laptop, a private hobby that has little information or purpose.

To all the members of the forum, and especially Gwyn, I thank you.