Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Guest Graham McInnes

The Westminster Dragoons Stables in Horseferry road, Westminster demolished now the Chanel 4 HQ.

London Scottish are across the way in a revamped Victorian drill hall with Crystal Palace type roof. I do not know if the Hall is their original base or if they are new occupants. I suspect they are squatters.

My favourite is a smaller triangular hall also with a glass roof surronded by Regency st, Brooke st and Hap Terrace( I think) Westminster/Pimlico which until last year was in a very sorry state but is now converted into luxury flats. There are no markings on the building to give a clue to the unit, perhaps someone else knows.

I will try and remember to bring my camera to work to get a piccie of it.

The Westminster Dragoons Stables in Horseferry road, Westminster demolished now the Chanel 4 HQ.

London Scottish are across the way in a revamped Victorian drill hall with Crystal Palace type roof. I do not know if the Hall is their original base or if they are new occupants. I suspect they are squatters.

My favourite is a smaller triangular hall also with a glass roof surronded by Regency st, Brooke st and Hap Terrace( I think) Westminster/Pimlico which until last year was in a very sorry state but is now converted into luxury flats. There are no markings on the building to give a clue to the unit, perhaps someone else knows.

I will try and remember to bring my camera to work to get a piccie of it.

Graham - thanks for that.

I didn't get to Horseferry road, but wandered around the Westminster area in the rain, and found the modern London Scottish premises. I understand the roof was moved from Buckingham Gate to the new location.

I missed the Regency street premises; originally the Electrical Engineers, Royal Engineer Volunteers with Drill Hall at 46, Regency Street, Westminster, London SW, later HQ, 1-6 Companies London Electrical Engineers RE.

A picture would be marvellous.

Graeme - sounds like you may have this already, but in case not, here is the HQ of the 16th Londons, Queens Westminsters at 58 Buckingham Gate SW1.

The modern building just beyond it is I think on the site of the London Scottish HQ (14th) at 59 Buckingham Gate.

post-34-1096926835.jpg

...and a close up of the area around the door. To the naked eye (but not on this pic) one can just make out "The Queens" on the white scroll above the lower left window and "Westminster" on the scroll immediately above the door (and below the portcullis). The letters were clearly in relief but have long since been hacked off.

post-34-1096927000.jpg

Since posting a message above, which I've deleted now I know the material arrived, I've acquired an extract from a newspaper 6th August 1976 about the demolition of another local drill hall in Cheshire, with journalist’s report and photos. Will email, as usual, after annotating with his comments. There are various contemporary photos of its users, dated 1911, to follow, when my contact has had them copied.

Had a brill talk with a very interesting elderly man to get this information.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

I've acquired an extract from a newspaper 6th August 1976 about the demolition of another local drill hall in Cheshire, with journalist’s report and photos. Will email, as usual, after annotating with his comments. There are various contemporary photos of its users, dated 1911, to follow, when my contact has had them copied.

Had a brill talk with a very interesting elderly man to get this information.

Gwyn

Thank you, Gwyn, as ever you have done the Database proud.

Can I just say, in public, that this lady has acted above and beyond the call of duty; there are a number of occasions where Gwyn has turned up some really good info, particularly on Cheshire, that i feel as tho' this is a shared project!

Thanks, Gwyn, and all who have made a contributiuon so far. It's a fascinating and important project that relies on the input of Forum members to add shape and substance to the stuff I find on the Net. Without a lottery win, I'll never have the opportunity to visit all 3600-odd listings in the database, and this is where the Pals come in with their local knowledge and cameras.

Where's your local drill hall? Do I know about it?

Drop me a line...

Graeme

Oh. (Blushes.) Oh. I’m just naturally inquisitive and like talking to people. Thank you.

I’ve seen Graeme’s amazing data base, with its hundreds of pictures of lovely, quirky or plain ugly buildings. Yes, hundreds. On one level, my reaction is total admiration for the diligence and perseverance which has collected and collated all the data: the thousands of detailed references, the archive material, the photos. On another, I think it's a very sad, unhappy set of buildings: the symbol of the end of the journey in life of so many thousands of men.

Rest of content deleted

Edited by Dragon

Guest pillboxman2002

Hi, I'm fascinated in the wide variety of structures falling into the 20th century defence category and have recently read through your thread on drill halls with great interest. Living in Lincolnshire, I was wondering if your database is accessible online, or if not, you know of any halls in or near my home county dating from 1900 or after. I already know of and have photographed 3 - Boston, Spilsby & Horncastle - how might I go about finding more? Though I have no details, I've posted photographs of the 3 mentioned. Below, Boston.

post-34-1097612667.jpg

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the three wonderful pictures.

The database is as yet unavailable online, but if you wish to PM me, I'll forward the accesible version in Word format for Lincolnshire by email or post.

There's quite a bit of info, but there's also a lot of gaps. Any help is gratefuly received, even if the answer is that 'it was demolished in 1974 and is now a Netto supermarket.' At least that confirms the address for further research.

Anyone who wants details of their local or county drill halls just needs to ask... Don't hold your breath 'cos there are so many blank listings, but perhaps you can fill the voids.

Thanks again, Sam

Graeme

The drill hall in Boston is described in Kelly's Directory of 1913 as follows;

‘The 1st Lincolnshire Battery of the 1st North Midland Brigade R.F.A. Territorial Force was formed in 1860 as the Lincolnshire R.G.A. (Vols.), and had in 1913 an enrolled strength of 130 members; the corps has a spacious drill hall in Main Ridge, where there are four 15-pr. B.L.converted guns. The C Company [sharing the Main Ridge drill hall] of the 4th Territorial Force Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment was also formed in 1860, and comprises 3 officers and 92 men; the shooting range is at Slippery Gowt marsh.’

The drill hall also provided a home for a Troop of 'B' Sqn Lincolnshire Yeomanry.

Horncastle was home to the Horncastle Detachment, 4th Battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment (G Company) and a troop of 'B' Sqn Lincolnshire Yeomanry. It is suggested that it is now .. the Town Hall, built as a drill hall in 1901…..

I have another listing of Whizkidz (B3), Indoor Adventure Play for Under 10s, The Old Drill Hall, South Street, Horncastle, Lincolnshire,, can anyone shed any light?

The drill Hall, in Halton road, Spilsby, erected in 1899, at a cost of £1,700, is a structure of red brick with stone dressings, and has sergeant-instructor’s quarters attached.’ (Kelly) Headquarters of C Company 5th Battalion Lincolnshire Regt.

• 4 weeks later...

Graeme

There is one in Westham, East Sussex (near Pevensey). The outside is still intact and inside is now used as a repair garage. I will send on a photo once the film is finished and developed.

Regards

Invicta

Invicta

Is that the drill hall in Eastbourne Road?

It was on my list of visits recently but never made it; thanks for getting there for me!

The photo offer is a bonus.

thanks

Graeme

The street where it lives - Albion Street, with the Albion pub, which is Victorian and very traditional. This is from the Walls of Chester (hence the horrible railing). The Albion prides itself on being family hostile and refusing to sell designer drinks.

I have been to The Albion, and can confirm Dragon's high praise of it. It is an atmospheric Victorian pub in a truly historic setting. Good food too - I recommend the oat cakes.

Ste

The Drill hall in Colledge St, St-Helens, Lancashire ( dated above the door 1861 ) is still inuse I believe by a unit of the Sea Cadet Corps.

Cheers

Ian

The drill hall is actually in Mill St, not far from College St, down the side of Lowe House RC Church.

As you say, the inscription gives the date of 1861, along with the motto 'DEFENCE NOT DEFIANCE'. The Sea Cadets do indeed use it, and for their purposes it is called 'TS SCIMITAR'. A variety of other community organisations also meet there.

The building was headquartes to the 2nd Volunteer (Rifle) Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment, which became the 5th Battalion of the Territorials. Adjacent is Volunteer St, leading to Duke St, where the Rifle Hotel stands, once named The Rifle Corps.

The Battalion had outlying companies at Widnes and Prescott.

The other drill hall in St Helens was home to the TF Engineers, and stood at Croppers Hill. The present TA Jubilee Barracks now stands on the site, and the name (and its appearance) suggests it was constructed in the late 1970s.

I'll provide pics as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Ste

Absolutely fab info Ste, just what we need. What it was, where it is and what it is now, even if it's a car park. Photos gratefully received in the fullness of time.

Thanks!

Graeme

Graeme

the Westham one is on the Eastbourne Road right by the station. The photos are being developed. Will get you a copy very soon

Regards

Invicta

I havnt read all the posts (as there are quite few)

Lincoln has a splendid Drill Hall financed by Joseph Ruston of Ruston & Proctor and Ruston & Hornsby fame. I am pleased to say it has recently been refurbished nad is hosting entertainments again.

I havnt read all the posts (as there are quite few)

Lincoln has a splendid Drill Hall

See posts passim - a couple of pages back. I sent Graeme a set of photos of Lincoln DH in September. I was very impressed with the conversion. The memorial on the inside wall was particularly poignant.

Someone told me that there'd been a lot of public pressure to save the building. I'm glad the civic authorities listened. In the post I made prior to this one, the community didn't get worked up until they realised that the drill hall really was a car park.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

• 3 weeks later...
The street where it lives - Albion Street, with the Albion pub, which is Victorian and very traditional. This is from the Walls of Chester (hence the horrible railing). The Albion prides itself on being family hostile and refusing to sell designer drinks.

I have been to The Albion, and can confirm Dragon's high praise of it. It is an atmospheric Victorian pub in a truly historic setting. Good food too - I recommend the oat cakes.

Ste

And, on the strength of these 2 recommendations, I had lunch there on Thursday (whilst researching at the Cheshire's Museum) and probably will do so again this Thursday. Excellent grub.

John

Hello Graeme

From my expedition over the weekend into ‘my’ areas of North Wales, I’m pleased to tell you about five positive sightings of Welsh drill halls which have not had the skill and care of a hydraulic excavator and been converted into a Llidl.

They have all been preserved and their futures safeguarded by being used variously within their communities.

I’ve sent you a long email with full details; and photos will follow.

Gwyn

PS John - I didn't actually recommend the Albion; I haven't eaten there and I'm not sure that they do my sort of food. I haven't seen anything resembling a goats cheese roulade being consumed, or sushi. I've merely dropped in there (almost literally) for a pint when perambulating the Walls.

Edited by Dragon

The Albion prides itself on being family hostile and refusing to sell designer drinks.

Gwyn

Whether intended or not, I take this observation as a great recommendation. :D

John