Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

And the hall itself

Graeme,

Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me when I visited Wellingborough last week, which was a shame, for besides wanting to show you a photo of the Drill Hall with estate agents' signs on it, there was a wonderful copper war memorial which had been rescued from a skip in the nearby Leighton Coach House.

Anyway, here is some info on the Drill Hall from Welly Council:

"New Community Use For Drill Hall

10 June 2005

The former Drill Hall in High Street Wellingborough was acquired in 2004 by the Borough Council of Wellingborough as part of the 7 acre comprehensive development area defined in the Local Plan – of which the Council owns some 6 acres.

A project is underway using external consultants to bring forward a Supplementary Planning Document for inclusion within the new plan for the Borough as a guiding statement for how the site should be developed.

In the meantime the Council is making determined efforts to ensure its own properties are fully utilised and not left vacant in the run-up to any development.

Following a widespread marketing campaign by Messrs Underwoods, a letting has just been completed with the Daylight Centre Fellowship (DCF) for a term of five years.

The intention is to use the property, comprising over 15,000 sq ft, as a centre for mixed community uses including, advice centre, education and training. DCF will act as an umbrella organisation sharing occupation with other appropriate groups and services.

Alan Harland, a consultant to DCF said “The Trustees are very pleased that the Council decided a strategy to bring this property back into use after vacation by the Territorial Army and are delighted that DCF has been awarded the lease. DCF are in talks with a number of organisations that will start to use the centre during July, and it will move its own day centre into the building towards the end of August 2005”.

DCF is always keen to engage in recycling, and any organisation that has surplus equipment in good condition can contact Mr Harland by e-mail alan.harland@ntlworld.com. Mr Harland says “The building is empty at present and we need furniture and other equipment for training rooms, offices and a cafe to turn this building into an excellent resource for Wellingborough.

If you require further information please contact either Mr Bob Entwistle, Director, Technical & Leisure Services – 01933 231700 or Mr Alan Harland of the Daylight Centre Fellowship at 66 High Street, Weston Favell, Northampton NN3 3JX - Mobile: 07752 647 208"

The old drill hall in Elgin, Moray, located in Cooper Park is now the library. If I remember rightly there is a memorial plaque on the outside. Not lived up there for nearly 4 years now, so the memory is a bit fuzzy.

Guest pillboxman2002

Can somebody please tell me if there are drill halls in brandon, suffolk or thetford, norfolk, and, if so, from which year they date and where they are located. Many thanks.

Can somebody please tell me if there are drill halls in brandon, suffolk or thetford, norfolk, and, if so, from which year they date and where they are located. Many thanks.

Kelly's Directory of 1912 lists ‘4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment (part of G Co.)’ in Brandon but nothing more; I have a suspicion the drill hall may have been in Thetford Road.

Thetford has 4th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, (Detachment of G Co.) listed at the Guildhall, and 6th (Cyclist) Battalion Norfolk Regiment, (D Co.) at Station road.

Any more information would be fab.

Thanks

Graeme

Thanks to Kate and cartoss for input -

apologies for the delay in responding, i'm just back after a fortnight of liver abuse in the Dordogne...

Graeme,

Judging by your post elsewhere, I think the abuse was to livers other than your own.

Guest pillboxman2002

Thanks for your repsonse. I have another question, but am unsure of whether I'm supposed to enquire here in this way. Apologies if I'm wasting anyones time, or misusing this forum, but I can find nowhere else to get information on drill halls on a national scale. I know there is, or was, a drill hall in Oakham from the 1908-1914 period, but don't know the location. Is this this still extant and where? Also, I'll be visiting llanberies shortly. I've no idea if there is a hall there, but as I may have time to look, wondered if there is any reference in your database. Thanks again and please let me know if requesting info on specific halls here is in any way inappropriate

I'll be visiting llanberies shortly. I've no idea if there is a hall there, but as I may have time to look, wondered if there is any reference in your database.

Hello pillboxman

Do you mean Llanberis, Gwynedd?

The Great War drill hall in Llanberis has been demolished and a replacement was built on its site in the 1920s. Its address is The Old Station.

This information came from a helpful contact in Llanberis, who took its photograph for me.

I believe that the Llanberis drill hall was used by the Royal Welch Fusiliers.

I can only speak for my experience, but if you trawl back a page or three you’ll find a description by me of the problems in trying to find locations. I have found universally that even the army doesn’t know where these buildings were. A few people know something here and there, and that’s about it.

Graeme has painstakingly created a massive, impressive database which covers most of the UK. He’s the best person to answer your question.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

I saw this address today in a flyer from the music label Independiente which came inside a CD I bought:

Independiente

The Drill Hall

3 Heathfield Terrace

Chiswick

London

W4 4JE

T: +44 (0) 20 8747 8111

F: +44 (0) 20 8747 8113

E: firstname@independiente.co.uk

Wonder which unit the drill hall originally belonged to?

Charles

You might well ask, Charles.

My database has no entries for Chiswick, and I'll be contacting these people to enquire forthwith.

Thanks for the tipoff.

Graeme

Graeme/Charles

In 1900 Chiswick 'C' Company of the 2nd (South) Middlesex Rifle Volunteers were drilling at Hogarth School, Chiswick. Possibly pre-dating the drill hall?

300 plus men from the 2nd Middlesex transferred into the 'new' 10th. Batt. Middlesex Regt.in 1908.

Button illustration below.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

It's snippets like this that fill so many gaps and make it much easier to start looking for something.

Thanks again

Graeme

Thanks for your repsonse. I have another question, but am unsure of whether I'm supposed to enquire here in this way. Apologies if I'm wasting anyones time, or misusing this forum, but I can find nowhere else to get information on drill halls on a national scale. I know there is, or was, a drill hall in Oakham from the 1908-1914 period, but don't know the location. Is this this still extant and where? Also, I'll be visiting llanberies shortly. I've no idea if there is a hall there, but as I may have time to look, wondered if there is any reference in your database. Thanks again and please let me know if requesting info on specific halls here is in any way inappropriate

I have a vague reference to an address in Oakham of Penn street - I can't lay my hands on the source of that at the moment, so can't comment on whether it's current (i.e. modern-day drill hall) or refers to premises used by B Co. 5th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, such as the local town hall. Such places were often used in lieu of a 'proper' drill hall.

Any further info on Oakham drill hall would be welcome, and this is certainly the right place to ask for assistance. (Until the website's up and running - watch this space...)

Graeme

I made a pleasing discovery at the St Helens Drill Hall a few days ago: given that it is still in use by the Sea Cadets, there are several notice boards mounted on the wall outside. One, being slightly larger that the others, caught my eye. Across the top, covered in many coats of blue paint, the legend '5th Battalion (Prince of Wales's Volunteers') is clearly visible.

The Battalion ceased to exist under that designation in 1938, which neatly dates this notice board as being at least 67 years old. The thought that it is of Great War vintage, perhaps having once had casualty lists affixed to it, is giving me tingles.

My camera is broken at the moment, but I'll post a pic as soon as I can get one.

Ste

I made a pleasing discovery at the St Helens Drill Hall a few days ago: given that it is still in use by the Sea Cadets, there are several notice boards mounted on the wall outside.  One, being slightly larger that the others, caught my eye.  Across the top, covered in many coats of blue paint, the legend '5th Battalion (Prince of Wales's Volunteers') is clearly visible.

The Battalion ceased to exist under that designation in 1938, which neatly dates this notice board as being at least 67 years old.  The thought that it is of Great War vintage, perhaps having once had casualty lists affixed to it, is giving me tingles.

My camera is broken at the moment, but I'll post a pic as soon as I can get one.

Ste

Thanks, Ste, that would be brill.

Nice that it gives you a buzz, next time think of the lads who never saw it again, and those who came back full of the horrors of war.

I bet they'd pause otside and remember....

Graeme

If anyones interested in photos of Alford Drill Hall as used by the 5th Lincolns please contact me.

I have an excellent image digitised and ready to be emailed now.

Steve.

If anyones interested in photos of Alford Drill Hall as used by the 5th Lincolns please contact me.

I have an excellent image digitised and ready to be emailed now.

Steve.

Steve, the drill hall database would love any images you have!

Thanks

Graeme

This is Abergavenny Drill Hall as mentioned in my question in Chit Chat. I said I'd post its picture.

I didn't include the front elevation here as it might have been seen as an advertisement for the business using the premises. Graeme has a full set of photographs.

Thanks, Tafski, for your information about the cinema proposal.

Gwyn

Picture removed by me.

Good luck with your project, Graeme. You know you have my full support behind the scenes and I will carry on doing what has been planned. It is a fantastic , valuable project and deserves every success.

As I have expressed elsewhere, there is no place for me on the Forum any longer and I will not be adding to your thread.

Gwyn

Good luck with your project, Graeme. You know you have my full support behind the scenes and I will carry on doing what has been planned. It is a fantastic , valuable project and deserves every success. 

As I have expressed elsewhere, there is no place for me on the Forum any longer and I will not be adding to your thread.

Gwyn

I'd like to take the opportunity to publicly thank Gwyn for being a very supportive member of the Forum, a clever and prolific contibutor to many threads, especially this one, and a friend.

My project, within the Forum, will be poorer by her departure.

Pity.

Graeme

Is there a drill hall in keswick?

There certainly was. I'm not sure if it still exists, but it was listed in Kelly's Directories of 1901 and 1914, as the head quarters of the

C Co. of the 4th Territorial Force (Cumberland & Westmorland) Battalion The Border Regiment; the drill hall is in Southey street.’

The premises were also known as The Volunteer Assembly Rooms, in Southey street, the property of the Drill Hall Co. It had accommodation for about 800.

If anyone could confirm its existence or demise, I'd be grateful

Graeme