Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

HURRY UP!

Gillingham Kent's old drill hall on the A2 Watling Street has been boarded up and is awaiting demolision. It is the old Royal West Kent's Medway base.

Ashford's drill hall in Newtown road was demolished in 1996 to make way for the International Rail Terminal.

These things are being lost at an alarming rate and nobody gives a toss except for us saddies!

Ah, Neil..........

With foresight, this project would've started ten years ago.

Get down there now with a camera and save Gillingham! They're crumbling every day. I can't get round them all in time so rely on you lovely people to do it for me (unless you can get me some lottery funding for the helicopter/Bentley/peasant to help the project, oh, and £50k a year expenses...)

If you get the chance, take a snap. No David Bailey stuff, just a moment in time before the bulldozers hit. It's that simple, and that important.

Thank you, Neil.

Graeme

Graeme

I can send you a photo of the Cleckheaton Drill Hall ( West Yorks)if you wish. It housed the Cleckheaton Coy of the 1/4th DoW West Riding Regt and is now used for storage of shopfitting items.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, that would be brilliant.

Either pop it on this thread or email me direct (click on members to contact me).

Another one saved for the future......

Thanks

Graeme

Lovely pic.

Who lived next door? 'It's the bl**dy Terriers, again, Charlie, have a word with the sergeant in the morning.......'

The next day, they assembled, and marched for France and the Hun.

Perhaps, years later, the silence of those who fell was louder than boots on concrete.

Perhaps Conscript Charlie was also missing, just another name on the Thiepval memorial.

Thanks, my old Dragon.

Graeme

Graeme,

For once I can blame circumstances beyond my control for this dreadful example of photography. I spent a few days in Caithness last month. Underwhelmed with John O'Groats, where the shop staff should sue for being exposed to non-stop accordion tunes all day, I got on a bus and stomped around Dunnet Head, a wonderfully dramatic place which was all mine for a while. I boarded another double decker and juddered on to Thurso through flurries of rain. The bus pulled up at the stop in Castletown, opposite a large building with a sign announcing 'Castletown Drill Hall'. "Aargh!! Quick! Graeme!" thought I, scrambling for my camera, switching on and shooting, by which time the bus had pulled away. So, this is the best I can offer at present, but by clicking here, you will get a better image and information

http://www.caithness.org/community/villagehalls/castletown/

post-6-1083544122.jpg

"Aargh!! Quick! Graeme!" thought I,

Makes you smile inside, this power over lovely lady holidaymakers!

Poor old Mr. O'Groats. Underwhelmed indeed.

Sounds like a soggy place, full of Tartan tweeness. Still, I am more than chuffed with the picture. Imagine marching out of there in cap and cape, in the rain, to four years of hell.

Thank you, Kate.

Should any RWF TF Drill Halls be identified I would be most grateful to know of them, and indeed see photographs.  I think this thread is potrentially a most interesting and unusual one.  Good Luck.

There are 63 entries in the database for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, only six with an indication of drill halls or addresses. No photos as yet, but will let you have whatever turns up.

Wales, particularly north and mid Wales, seems sparsely recorded. I'm also having a problem with the correct Counties for the period, and am happy to be corrected.

Mold Earl St Flint 'A' 5 RWF

Holywell Halkyn st? Flint 'D' 5 RWF

Rhyl John St? 'C' 5 RWF

Graeme

Hello Graeme

I'm going into North Wales on Saturday, for something I want to do, and I'll take any pics I see. I'm a bit confused about the addresses, cos I sourced Rhyl as High Street, Holywell as Brynford Street and Mold as something elsde (got it down somewhere)?

I have also got Wrecsam.

Then my PC said it had had enough and had a kip.

How do I clarify?

Gwyn

Take care, Gwyn, and your passport.......

I offered those addresses cos I'd gleaned them from somewhere.

But, because of the nature of this project, I'm happy to be shot down in flames or corrected. Especially if you share your sources....

Clarification? Don't know, other than walking the streets or raiding the archives.

Whatever you find is way more than I have now, even if it's only to say 'you're wrong'. To have duff info confirmed as duff, is as valid as finding a drill hall.

Have a nice day, beware of Dragons!

Graeme

Cleckheaton Drill Hall (West Yorks) 2004. The home of The Cleckheaton Company of the 1/4 Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment.

See also next post.

post-6-1084038994.jpg

The Cleckheaton boys outside the Drill Hall in early 1915. They suffered severe losses throughout the war, with about a quarter of them dying during their long spell in the Ypres Salient ( Boesinghe area ) from July to December 1915.

post-6-1084039334.jpg

A couple of great pictures.

Whilst the first is of a fairly unassuming building, ignored daily by most passers-by, coupled with the second photo and its' ensuing, tragic history, suddenly the building takes on a new importance.

This was the start point of the Cleckheaton boys' Great Adventure. And perhaps the last familiar building they saw......

Thank you.

Graeme

This is all that there is: an enamelled metal footnote in the death-story of the men whose lovers, children, parents, wished beyond anything that they could see them one more time.

This is all that there is: the drill hall in Mold / Yr Wyddgrug, Clwyd, in yesterday’s torrential rain.

Gwyn

post-6-1084102079.jpg

Gwyn

Thanks for taking a photo of - well, nothing. Actually, it's way more than that. At least all that history has been recorded in a sterile plaque.

And that's a lot more than some do. I suppose the rain was quite fitting.

Ta for drowning.

Graeme

Does anyone know the age of the old drill hall in Oxford Road,Aylesbury.I understand it was used by the Ox and Bucks,as was the Slade barracks in Headington,Oxford,any info please or of any in this area.

Nick.

Nick - thanks for the address.

the database has nothing on Aylesbury, save that it was occupied by HQ and D Company, Bucks Battalion, Ox and Bucks Light Infantry, and possibly 'B' Sqn Royal Bucks Hussars.

I assume that Slade barracks in Headington was for regular units.

I'll contact you off-forum with what little I have for this area.

Graeme

Graeme,

Photo of the Drill Hall on the A2, Gillingham, was sent by email earlier. I had some problems before it left my Outbox so please advise if you dont receive it.

Regards,

Jon

Question for the Guru:

Are Drill Halls a peculiar British eccentricity?

I can’t imagine that people elsewhere enjoyed marching around in the rain any more than British men did. So…

Gwyn

Answer for the Dragon;

no, there are a number of countries that use drill halls. South Africa, Australia and particularly Canada, who have some marvellous structures. A Google worldwide image search will offer up a few.

Graeme

Guest biffobollox

I havnt got the time to read through and see if anyine else has given you the following details:-

Drill hall in Hudersfield (st Pauls street) still used by MOD East/west Yorks but was origianllly built for 5th (DWR)west riding regiment

Drill hall for 7th (DWR)west riding regiment headquaters loacted in Milnsbridge (near Huddersfield west yorks) now owned by gentleman who is thankfully preserving it and has almost a private museum. I can get you his name if inteested and have some photos

Drill hall for 7th (DWR)west riding regiment at Slaithwaite near huddersfield, demolished in the 70's and built on with houses, I have some B&W phots if your interested.

When I lived in Stafford there was also a drill hall in Hednesford for V Staffs regt, this is or was a bingo hall about 4 years ago. similarly there was a drill hall in Walsall next to sainsbury's used as a night club.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

I'm familiar with Walsall and Hednesford, but I'm well pleased with the West Riding stuff!

Photos would be brilliant, at your leisure.

Milnsbridge is intruiging! What's in the museum, and how do you know?

Cheers

Graeme

Guest biffobollox

Graeme

7th DWR area consisted of the colne valley from Milnsbridge westwards and just over the top into what is now greater Manchester but even when i went to school used to be west yorks ie Uppermill(there may have been a drill hall here).

The btn headquaters off scar lane Golcar/Milnsbridge was a carpet factory and lots of thing until I met the present owner last year on a visit back to my mothers. His name is Garside and is an avid amateur historian/collector of all things military in the Colne valley. He showed me around the old hall which is piled high with books, militaria etc. In what was the armoury he has an extensive collection of really rare books including a German Pickelhaub which had been left in the attic and not discoverd untill he bought the hall.

The drill hall in huddersfield is also very interesting ( I served ther as a young boy many years ago), it was paid for by private subscription so the MOD doesn't actually own it, this is probably the reason why it hasnt been closed down. It also inherited most of the rolls of honour documents and pictures from the 7th DWR when it was disbanded (where I got copies of drill hall in slaithwaite).

I'll get you copies of photos of Milnsbridge and Salithwaite drill halls over weekend.

Ian

Indebted to you, Ian.

Mr. Garside sounds like a bit of an eccentric, but a very interesting one! Let's hope he's made suitable arrangements for all that stuff (and the drill hall) on his demise.

I'm looking forward to the photos.

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...
Guest birdflightless

Hi Graeme,

Another drill hall for your file, the link below is a direct link to a compressed file containing the info from an article from my research into Little Cornard, near Sudbury, Suffolk.

click here

Hope this is of interest,

Stewart