Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

I appreciate your writing this, Graeme. Thank you.

I’ve said to you by email today that I thought I could put my pictures on a dedicated page on my website, with thumbnails, and give you a link, so that should anyone be interested, they would be there and not slowing down your thread. It would mean that I could use my better quality ones at a higher resolution and not the lower quality compressions. I could make it better still when the newly designed site is completed.

Maybe when I’ve run out of cows, Cow of the Day might become Drill Hall of the Week...

Gwyn

Thanks, Dave.

According to the 1914 Kelly's Directory,

‘7th Battalion Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex Regiment); A Co., Head Quarters, Drill Hall, Holly Bush vale, Heath st. Hampstead NW.’

Seems as though it had a mere thirty two year spell as a drill hall before the thespians replaced the Terriers.....

Graeme

Hello Graeme

These are two of several I took in Lincoln, placed here at a low resolution, so apologies for the lack of architectural detailing. It’s been converted into an arts centre, which in my opinion is an exciting and vibrant building.

By the time you read this, I hope I’ll have emailed you several, more varied pictures at higher resolutions and therefore showing more details, plus some commentary which I don’t want to share with all and sundry on the Internet. (Unfortunately I’m still frustratingly slow with my new replacement scanner.) Please check your spam folder!

Gwyn

post-6-1093779810.jpg

Thanks, Gwyn (DHP)

It's nice to know that this place has won a new lease of life.

Photos received, thanks, and if anyone wishes to see the internal shots of Lincoln drill hall, just ask........

Can I be cheeky and ask if Rhyl has appeared in this thread? It just saves me wading through 8 pages........

Postscript to my previous three pictures: which were in posts I have now removed because the pictures have been wiped and it was pretty pointless having posts w/o pictures.

Plaque says 'This tablet records the thanks of the 8th C.R.V. to the Town' and the date 1872.

Graeme knows which town this is.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Gwyn proposes, unknowingly, a competition: guess the address.

What is the town associated with the 8th C.R.V. as pictured by the Dragon?

Answers on a postcard........

First prize is the smugness of knowing where it is - answer is published next week.

Thanks, Gwyn, for the images of a drill hall that survives by redevelopment. Many more fall to the bulldozer daily. Blame Prescott and Brownfields.

Can I be cheeky and ask if Rhyl has appeared in this thread? It just saves me wading through 8 pages........

Be as cheeky as you like, Andrew.

Rhyl has two entries in the database, as the home of C Company, 5th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and a section of B squadron Denbeighshire Hussars.

Anything else that anyone can add is a bonus.

Graeme

Got any Manchesters' drill halls yet?

5th Battalion in Wigan, not sure exactly where

6th Battalion in Stretford Road, Hulme, since demolished

7th Battalion, Burlington Street Manchester, until recently was the MacDougall Sports Centre of Manchester Univ., but now I think closed and to be demolished

8th Battalion Ardwick Green, still home to C (Manchester) Company of the Kings and Cheshire Regiment (TA)

9th Battalion, Old Street, Ashton-under-Lyne still in use by cadets of some description

10th Battalion, Rifle Street, Oldham, demolished

I had hoped that Burlington Street might get an archaeological recording before it closed, but I'm not sure that it did. Interesting project, though. Do you know of the Fortress Study Group? There may be some members of that group who are interested in the research you're doing.

Cheers

Graeme,

Sorry, can't add anything, but I can get you a (modern) photo if that's of any use. Let me know.

7th Battalion, Burlington Street Manchester, until recently was the MacDougall Sports Centre of Manchester Univ., but now I think closed and to be demolished

Is that so? It's the scene of some of the most spectacular defeats in the history of sport: me vs my then boyfriend's friends at squash. (I let them win, of course.)

Have you asked Mcr University whether anyone has studied it?

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Museum of the Mancs has, I think, piccies of all the drill halls.

I am soooo glad to be able to give them a positive plug for something (anything)

John

BIG thanks to DNH, Gwyn and John, for the Manc connection.

5th Battalion in Wigan, not sure exactly where - Bank street/Powell street; there are some pictures on the net of its' demolition.

6th Battalion in Stretford Road, Hulme, since demolished. Nothing on this one.

Shame! McDougall Sports Centre Burlington St built 1885 by J R Hillkirk. Originally for the Third Manchester Rifle Volunteers, it was used in the interwar years by the Royal Signals until it was converted in 1939 by J S Beaumont. It was apparently the only military installation in Manchester to be hit during German bombing, when a bomb passed through the CO's office and the unit swimming pool without exploding.

8th Battalion Ardwick Green, still home to C (Manchester) Company of the Kings and Cheshire Regiment (TA) - and a very fine drill hall too, with its' 'Always ready' motto.

9th Battalion, Old Street, Ashton-under-Lyne still in use by cadets of some description - glad to know it's still in use

10th Battalion, Rifle Street, Oldham, demolished. Thanks for the address!

Other Manchester units include 15, 16 and 17 batteries of the East Lancs Brigade RFA at Hyde Road, the East Lancs field Coys RE at 73 Seymour Grove (demolished), East Lancs ASC listed at Hulme Barracks and Rawtenstall, and the East Lancs Field Ambulances of the RAMC at the imposing premises still existant on the corner of King's Road. To the rear of this building is the Manchester South West Delivery Office, which was the Regimental Headquarters and No.1 Squadron Royal Signals from 1932 to 1955.

Any others?

Graeme,

Sorry, can't add anything, but I can get you a (modern) photo if that's of any use. Let me know.

Andrew - pictures are always welcome. Thanks, and yes, please!

Graeme

Had forgotten Hyde Road Artillery oops! Still there I think. When the first 'Clerks and Warehousemen's Battalion' was advertised (later 1st City Battalion, later still 16th Manchesters) signing up took place at Artillery HQ Hyde Road. Later Manchester Town Hall was used.

Gwyn - I did suggest to M'cr University Archaeology that a building recording of Burlington Street be carried out, if nothing else as an undergraduate exercise. Don't think anything came of it though, sadly. As I understand, it closed in July, I shall have to see what comes of it...

There is a signals section TA in Rusholme and an RE unit TA in Failsworth - don't know the origins of the buildings I'm afraid, but suspect that they are not drill halls of the late 19th Century type.

There is of course Stockport's drill hall that is still used by the TA / Cadets. Mossley had one connected to the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt. Did Stalybridge have a drill hall? I can't remember. Other than that I can't think of Greater Manc's drill halls, bound to be some more though...

Cheers

1st City Battalion was indeed initially recruited at Hyde Road. Stedman in "Manchester Pals" - "As soon as the first editions of the local papers were made available, men clamoured at the gates of the Artillery HQ".

In terms of Stockport, whilst it's on the same site, I don't think that the present Armoury building is WW1 vintage. I'll have a proper nosy tomorrow evening when I'm there for the WFA meeting.

Stalybridge, Hyde and Glossop all had Companies of the 6th Cheshires and must have had their own drill halls. Don't know any locations, I'm afraid.

John

Mossley had one connected to the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt.

My friend has taken a photo of this one. Unfortunately it's temporarily stuck in her camera. It is, however, alive and well.

I sent Graeme pictures of that extraordinary place in Greek Street a little while ago.

As far as Greater Manchester south goes, which was Cheshire then, Hale has been demolished (was where the Ashley Hotel is) and Graeme has a picture of that. It was rather nice. Sale no longer exists. I have found an old lady who remembers it. The archives in Sale were inaccessible last time I went, but I live in hope. I consulted Kelly for the location of Altrincham, but unsuccessfully so far and need to go back and look.

Don't ask me who was what where. I don't have that sort of mind. I just look at the pictures.

Gwyn

Gwyn - I did suggest to M'cr University Archaeology that a building recording of Burlington Street be carried out, if nothing else as an undergraduate exercise.  Don't think anything came of it though, sadly.  As I understand, it closed in July, I shall have to see what comes of it...

I am going to talk to the university. I did!

I have a vision of the initial phone call...........

Hello, Manchester University reception. Can I help you?

Ah, the McDougall Centre. You need the Faculty of Sports Science. I'll just put you through.

Hello, this is Sports Science... Ah, drill hall. The war. You need Modern History. I'll just put you through.

Hello, this is the Faculty of Modern History. Drill hall? You need the Military Studies department. I'll just put you through.

Hello, this is Military Studies. The McDougall centre? To be demolished? You need the Faculty of Archeology. I'll just put you through.

Hello, Archeology here. The drill hall? Ah. Right. You need Manchester City Planners. I'll just give you the number.

Hello, Manchester City Council. Planners? Trying to connect you.

[interval in which Vivaldi's Four Seasons plays in its entirety]

Hello, Planning. Ah, the McDonalds Centre in Burlington Avenue. Right. Yes. Yes. But. No. Ok. Yes. Right. You need to speak to Manchester University. Shall I give you their .......

Edited by Dragon

......and you all wonder why I'm trying to record these sad, redundant buildings before they succumb to the Developers in the name of Progress.

In my original request for information on these places, I mentioned their architectural, social and military significance. everyone sees them in a different light. Apart from the Guardians of our civic heritage, who pass requests on ad infinitum.

So when you lovely people turn up a gem of a drill hall, I get excited and grateful.

I thank you all for your ongoing interest, and the time and effort you expend.

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Graeme

I've emailed you two negatives (sigh) and a sort-of positive for your wonderful database.

The negatives are now tin-shed industrial estates and very ugly they are too. Wonder whether someone will be taking their photos in eighty years time... if they last that long.

The sort-of looks as if it's alive and well, but I need to check that by visiting it. I did. It is definitely a converted drill hall, but I'm not sure whether it's still standing. It is. At least someone thought it was important enough to record its picture a few years ago. Good on the unknown photographer.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Thank you, Gwyn.

The power of a 'negative' in this project can not be understated; it confirms the one-time presence of premises, it saves yours truly a fruitless drive with camera and family, and it illustrates the worthlessness of these buildings, demolished in the name of pogress.

The very fact that one can say '...but it's now demolished and replaced by a Comet Superstore or Wickes' merely proves its' existence, better than a vague reference that leaves you wondering whether our brave forebears marched out from the place that is now a car showroom.

The particular positive is generally obvious; but then we can all be taken in by a building that MAY have been... I do have a developing interest in architecture, now, after spending hours seeking these places out.

History or Sheds.

What do you want?

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

The drill hall in Chenies Street, London was the HQ of the 12th Bttn. London Regiment "The Rangers".

Their WW1 memorial is also there just off Bedford Square, albeit hardly accessible due to a modern monstrosity being built right on top of it.

The drill hall is now a "theatre" predominantly catering for a certain "modern lifestyle" audience. What a long way we've come

Remembering a Great Uncle Rfm. 1465 F J Gobell from Barking and his comrades, one of only 53 Rangers survivors from 2nd Ypres at Frezenberg Ridge, who died at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916, and who would have used the drill hall before going to France on Christmas Day 1914.

The Chenies Street premises are, at least, still there and in use. Whatever their current employ, it pleases me that the building is still standing and not flattened in the name of 'progress', replaced by some wiggly tin shed selling car spares.

It's a classic 'you have to look up at it' building, and it was unfortunately swathed in scaffolding when I went to take a photo.

Shame the memorial is treated with so little reverence.

Thanks, Mark.