Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Histories

FJ_VF168

Maybe the place doesn´t exist anymore... Probably 100 years ago it was a place with 1 or 2 farms, nothing more...

6 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Maybe the place doesn´t exist anymore... Probably 100 years ago it was a place with 1 or 2 farms, nothing more...

That is indeed very well possible. I have once found an official publication (from around 1900) listing all Bavarian place names (a free online pdf). Of course, I can't remember where...

Unfortunately there doesn't seem a German equivalent to the French geoportail, the Belgian cartesius or the Flemish geopunt, where modern and old maps are georeferenced and publicly available. Or am I wrong?

Edited by AOK4

I don´t know anything about those maps. You know, the Germans want to forget the times before 1949...

One could ask the administration of Augsburg and Friedberg, but a lot of offices are closed because of the Corinna-Virus

Andy, Jan

Thank You again, it is quite like Grandpa described it as far as the movements go, he surprised me when he mentioned Rumania but in American Schools we get very little info on that front, not surprising I guess as most Americans served in France.  Grandpa described the Austrians as Farmers, which I take more politely to mean ill trained and ill equipped. I do not have the postcard of his platoon it is with my mother who is 80, his only child. It appears to be stock photo taken at Lager Heidelberg which appears to remain a military installation to this day from the bits of information I am finding. I suspect these photos are quite common but I will scan and post it later if a visual is of interest to either of you. That card may have some place names and addresses because it was mailed, but the ink is faded and it’s barely legible but there may be clue for me there.

About these men on the card I would like to ask you if they have been from Grandpas immediate environment, perhaps even his classmates? Or is it like here in America where units are comprised of personel from a wider region.

When I was about 10 he pointed the location to me on a map and I said Oh! so your from East Germany. He was rather agitated at that and told me in no uncertain terms that there was only One Germany!  Oberbayern does not look to be in that region he pointed, more like Neiderbayern Oberpfalz or perhaps Pfalz if that is a detached region to the north and east of the rest of Bavaria as the map Andy so kindly posted shows.  But if your source says Oberbayern then it is more likely my memory is off as I suspect these records are rarely if ever wrong. When he visited in 1969 he brought back gifts from Munich.

As a humorous aside you should both be aware that you have shattered my dreams of Lake Constance and the Alps. To be fair it was google that led me astray.

Grandpa described Stockach’s terrain as farm country, similar to that here in Southeast Michigan just north of Detroit. It might be that you could see the alps in the distance, or not I do not know. Also as you say it may be gone. My Great Uncle who was in the Navy came over here with Grandpa and I do think his son went back in the 80s. From what little I could gather our German relatives there were not very prosperous which again leads me to think it was in the East.  Do you know was any part of Bavaria in the East before reunification?

I so despise the internet! But am grateful that you both are on it following your passion, Thank You again

Shouldn't that be Lager Hammelburg instead of Heidelberg?

Bavaria was West Germany.

Probably...

In Heidelberg was Gren.Rgt.110.

Hi,

got it. In 1900 there were 4(!) buildings and 34 inhabitants that made up Stockach in 1900. Today it is part of Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn with 21 (!) inhabitants.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

That´s what I suspected a few threads ago. Thanks GreyC

Great! Thanks a lot!

Yes it was Hammelburg on the card sorry for the misdirection. It so foreign how my mind works, I did not have the postcard and do not have enough time so I sent Heidelberg.  Heidelberg is An American beer brand which dear grandpa compared to a bodily waste product so mea culpa. Thank you again, I wonder more about what he came home to than about his role in the conflict and I suspect GreyC has helped me a great deal on that. 21 souls now is a really devastating thought for me even so many years gone by. I will check on the map myself for The Grey C location and see if that resonates with my memory. I am surprised that Grandpa would point to the wrong place on a map, but in America I don’t recall him ever needing a map (we have a pretty simple grid system and lots of bridges) and he drove way too fast, for my mom but we children actually liked it. And I am quite sure he was not like General Patton who claimed reincarnation as the basis for his geographical knowledge as opposed to what I suspect, more likely he was a good student at the war college.

Regards to all of you. I will look back to the forum soon. But please tell me if I am misusing it and should be using other sources. The memory of these men is important and I do not want to take time away from others who desire your help. 

Craig, Clarkston, Michigan, USA

• 2 months later...

Trying to locate some information on my friend's grandfather's artillery regiment. He was in a Bavarian unit. One of his service medals appears to indicate No. 4 Battery of Artillery Regiment No. 84. (See attachment.) I am interested in just about anything. German language documentation is fine. My friend is fluent in German. 

Thanks!

Jim

IMG953131.jpg.a4a7a74581ebed20b647867266320813.jpg

5 hours ago, LCo308 said:

No. 4 Battery of Artillery Regiment No. 84.

Hi,

it´s not. It looks like 4th Battery of 4th bayerisches Fuß-Art. Reg.The Nr 84 is is number within the regiment. If you have an Ancestry access you can find his military CV online. FUß-Artillerie, not FELD-Artillerie. There is a difference between them. The 4th foot-artillery regiment was constituted/deployed during the war. And the tag you posted is his ID-tag not his service medal. The name on it reads Samuel Lißberger or Lissberger. He is listed under the given address in the Munich addressbook of 1914 as merchant. In the German loss lists he seems not to be listed. However there is a soldier by the same name, his origin is given as Württemberg though, and the units he served with are also from Württemberg. There is a Bavarian by the name of Lissmann, christian name Richard. Maybe a relative?

There is no regimental history, but a few pages of info is in here:

http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/sammlungen/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=13808&tx_dlf[page]=1

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

There are two Samuel Lißberger both from Kleineichholzheim in Baden one died of his wounds the other, fortunately for your friend, survived. Your friends relative doesn‘t appear in the casualty lists but has 6 documents available on Ancestry - one of which I attach.

Charlie

607FEE65-8326-42F5-AAEA-93CBAB868E9D.jpeg.ff2db420ca082794ab2d4f2cf848d72b.jpeg

Thanks Charlie, the two from Baden are the ones I mentionerd above from the Württemberg VL (loss list).

"Our" S. L.  joined the 4th bayer. Fuß-Art. Reg. 15rh Jan 1917.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

3 hours ago, GreyC said:

Thanks Charlie, the two from Baden are the ones I mentionerd above from the Württemberg VL (loss list).

"Our" S. L.  joined the 4th bayer. Fuß-Art. Reg. 15rh Jan 1917.

GreyC

GreyC and Charlie,

Thank you both very much! This is all very useful. The bundesarchive document appears to have a wealth of information in it, which I'll leave for my friend to translate.  The old-font typing and script handwriting I suspect will be a challenge, but she is a former German language teacher!

Thanks for setting me straight on the nature of the item in the photo I sent. I have not accessed the bundesarchive before and will make an effort to do that. I have accessed the US National archives both on-line and via visits to the archives in College Park and St. Louis, when researching my grandfather and his unit during WW1. He was a doughboy in the 308th IR.  He was seriously wounded by MG fire and I was able to locate some interesting info from this Forum site about his Battalion's opposing German regiment during that engagement. 

Thanks again!

Jim

41 minutes ago, LCo308 said:

GreyC and Charlie,

Thank you both very much! This is all very useful. The bundesarchive document appears to have a wealth of information in it, which I'll leave for my friend to translate.  The old-font typing and script handwriting I suspect will be a challenge, but she is a former German language teacher!

Thanks for setting me straight on the nature of the item in the photo I sent. I have not accessed the bundesarchive before and will make an effort to do that. I have accessed the US National archives both on-line and via visits to the archives in College Park and St. Louis, when researching my grandfather and his unit during WW1. He was a doughboy in the 308th IR.  He was seriously wounded by MG fire and I was able to locate some interesting info from this Forum site about his Battalion's opposing German regiment during that engagement. 

Thanks again!

Jim

The scan that charlie provided is not from the Bundesarchiv, but from the Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv Abteilung IV Kriegsarchiv... These Kriegsstammrollen and Kriegsranglisten are available online through ancestry.

Jan

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

The scan that charlie provided is not from the Bundesarchiv, but from the Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv Abteilung IV Kriegsarchiv... These Kriegsstammrollen and Kriegsranglisten are available online through ancestry.

Jan

Thanks for the clarification Jan.

Jim

Thanks for the clarification Jan.

Jim

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for information in regard to the following:

*Army Group Eichhorn-All ground, air, and attached/supporting units. 

*A list of all staff officers in Army Group Eichhorn.

*A Major Haase, the Foreign and Security Affairs officer for Field Marshal von Eichhorn, who was involved in the elevation of Hetman Skoropadsky to run the Ukrainian government.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert A. Lynn

• 1 month later...

Dear Patrick

I was wandering whether it is still possible to see some of the extracts of your books/CD ?

I am particularly interested in these German regiments:

58 Res. Field Art.

61 Res. Field. Art.

79 Field Art.

Dragoner Regiment Nr 1

Reserve Draginer Regiment (is that book about all of them, as I am intersted in Reserve Dragoner Regiment 5 and Garde Reserve Dragoner Regiment?)

Pionier Batal. 11

76 Res. Inf. Div.

Mit 75 Res. Inf, Div.

And Landstrumin Polen ....

I am just infor  abut involvment of these regiment in 1914 and 1915 in north part of Poland and if are any casualty lists?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regads,

Rafael

Dear Cherlie,

Thank you for you kind message.

Unfortunatelly , this webiste even in German doesn't work.

Do you have perhaps any other links ?

kind regards,

Rafael

Well yes it does, but when you press enter then I got:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4 Server at military-books.lima-city.de Port 443

So I can not write anything...
I have tried on mozila, chrom etc
It does not work :-(
Kind regards,
Rafael