Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Histories

FJ_VF168

12 minutes ago, LemonSqueezer said:

Hi

I am trying to find information on Bavaria Landsturm Infantry Regiment No. 1. I have not found any reference to it on the internet or in the threads of this topic. Did it exist? Any information will be appreciated.

Thanking you

Murray

It did exist http://genwiki.genealogy.net/KB_Ldst.IR_1 if you are lucky @The Prussian will see your post and give you chapter and verse.

Charlie

Hello!

No regimental history was published.

The bavarian Ldst.Inf.Rgt.1 was set-up June 13, 1915:

I.Btl. = bavarian 3rd. Ldst.Inf.Btl. München

II.Btl. = bavarian Ldst.Inf.Btl. Speyer

III.Btl. = bavarian 3rd Ldst.Inf.Btl. Nürnberg

Under command of:

7.7.15-7.8.15: 9th army

8.8.15-25.11.15: Gen.Gouv. Warschau

29.11.15-23.6.16: Bugarmee

9.7.16-29.8.16: Armee-Abt. Gronau (Heeresgruppe Linsingen)

30.8.16-15.12.17: Armee-Abt. Gronau (Heeresgruppe Woyrsch)

16.12.16-27.2.18: Armee-Abt. Gronau (Heeresgruppe Linsingen)

27.2.18-31.3.18: Heeresgruppe Linsingen

31.3.18-8.8.18: Heeresgruppe Eichhorn

8.8.18-17.12.18: Heeresgruppe Kiew

I am searching a copy of the regimental history of the RIR 73 - copies of this book have been offered on the internet several times, but I always end up "fishing behind the nets" by the time I realise something is up for sale. Particularly interested in the period October 10th/1916 through October 28th/1916, when RIR73 was involved in the fighting around the Le Transloy ridge.

My great-granduncle Heinrich Georg Siemer, assigned to MGK2, died 26/10/1916 "at Le Transloy". Although I have already a suspision which part of the La Transloy frontline he was active around those dates, I hope that the regimental history gives me more conclusive evidence.

Sofar my initial search leads me to believe that RIR73 took over the frontline section previous held by 66RIR, which places them due east of Gueudecourt, roughly in the section where the 24th and 25th brigades of the British army were active as of October 23rd 1916.

Any assistance highly appreciated

Pieter

Hi Peter, John Rieth here, author of the IR 169 history Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment.   Are you familiar with Ralph Whitehead's excellent series, The Other Side of the Wire,  on the XIV Reserve Corps.  He is a member of the forum and may be familiar with additional sources.   Good Luck!   John

12 hours ago, Pieter Hartog said:

I am searching a copy of the regimental history of the RIR 73 - copies of this book have been offered on the internet several times, but I always end up "fishing behind the nets" by the time I realise something is up for sale. Particularly interested in the period October 10th/1916 through October 28th/1916, when RIR73 was involved in the fighting around the Le Transloy ridge.

My great-granduncle Heinrich Georg Siemer, assigned to MGK2, died 26/10/1916 "at Le Transloy". Although I have already a suspision which part of the La Transloy frontline he was active around those dates, I hope that the regimental history gives me more conclusive evidence.

Sofar my initial search leads me to believe that RIR73 took over the frontline section previous held by 66RIR, which places them due east of Gueudecourt, roughly in the section where the 24th and 25th brigades of the British army were active as of October 23rd 1916.

Any assistance highly appreciated

Pieter

Hello,

I have the regimental history of RIR 73.

Jan

22 hours ago, German IR 169 said:

Hi Peter, John Rieth here, author of the IR 169 history Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment.   Are you familiar with Ralph Whitehead's excellent series, The Other Side of the Wire,  on the XIV Reserve Corps.  He is a member of the forum and may be familiar with additional sources.   Good Luck!   John

Hi John, thanks for the information, will check

12 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

I have the regimental history of RIR 73.

Jan

Hi Jan, that´s absolutely great news! I m specifically interested in what actually happened to MGK2 of RIR73during the period 10.10.1916 - 28.10.1916, considering following list of fallen soldiers which were part of the MGK2 team.

In the Verlustlisten Heinrich Siemer was mentioned twice:
04/01/1917: Heinrich Siemer, MGK2 - 24.11.92 Moorhausen/Elsfleth - vermisst

08/12/1917: Heinrich Siemer, MGK2 - 24.11 Moorhausen, bisher vermisst gemeldet, gefallen 26.10.16

On the same date (26/10/1916) also other members of MGK2 died:

Musk. COPPEL Karl, Hannover - 26.10.1916 Le Transloy missing in action - MGK2 (born 24.4.1897, Hannover, reported as missing in action on 4.1.1917)

Musk. HEITMÜLLER Adolf, Döteberg/Linden - 26.10.1916 Le Transloy - MGK2 (born 27.1.1896, Döteberg/Linden, reported as killed in action on 4.1.1917)

Musk. KOCH Ernst, Ohlendorf/Goslar - 26.10.1916 Le Transloy missing in action - MGK2 (born 19.1.1895, Ohlendorf/Goslar,  reported as missing in action 4.1.1917)

Earlier another three soldiers of MGK2 had already died (on 14.10.1916, only days after the RIR73 had arrived near Le Transloy)
Gefr. HEINE Heinrich, Metjendorf/Oldenburg - 14.10.1916 Le Transloy - MGK2 (born 8.1.1896, reported as killed in action on 4.1.1917)
Musk.STÖVER Karl, Delmenhorst - 14.10.1916 Le Transloy - MGK2 (born 19.12.1896, reported as killed in action 4.1.1917)
Musk.NOWAKOWSKI Franz, Klein Buchholz/Hannover - 14.10.1916 Le Transloy MGK2 (born 17.7.1896, reported as missing in action 4.1.1917)

Regards

Pieter

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, DixieDivision1418 said:

Have any histories been published for the units in the 2nd Bavarian Division?

There's no divisional history AFAIK, but most of the regiments belonging to the division should have a regimental history.

Jan

25 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

There's no divisional history AFAIK, but most of the regiments belonging to the division should have a regimental history.

Jan

Thank you, do you know where any of these can be found?

On 30/08/2018 at 17:07, GreyC said:

Hi,

as it was a Prussian regiment chances are really, really slim to find individual records, unless your relative had for some reason a private copy of his Stammrollenauszug. The official Stammrollen which had the military careers of the Prussian units listed were all destroyed in WW2. If by chance, your relative became a German Gymnasiallehrer or a Beamter you might find his Personalakte in the appropriate archives. It included a CV with his military service.

For the bigger picture you might find these books helpful:

Bruno v. Oppen: "Ehemaliges 2. Lothringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 131", Berlin 1938: Kyffhäuser, (Tradition des Deutschen Heeres: Heft 126).

Bruno v. Oppen: "Die 131er während der Kämpfe in Galizien, um Riga und auf Ösel", Lüdenscheid 1917, Spannagel & Caesar.

GreyC

Just to add to this, there is also an account of the regiment's experiences during the early weeks of the war:

Karl Bahlke: "Mein erster Kriegsmonat. Grenzschutzkaempfe und Lothringer Schlacht." in: Die Burschenschaft Germania-Darmstadt im Weltkrieg. pp. 114-133.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have received a iron cross 2nd class from my sister in laws grandfather from WW! he served with 7 Batterie, Bergischen Fieldartillerie Regiment Nr 59 15 Infanterie Division.  It is Ingrid's 80th this year so this would be a nice little project to get more details on if I could.  The man is Gefreiten Georg Johanns, received his medal on 9 10 1917 and I have just started the search fining the Regiment mentioned in your blog

Grateful for advice/information at your convenience

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hello,  I see your post was from many years ago, however I wonder if you are still offering to help?  I am researching my great uncle, Infanterieregiment "Generalfeldmarschall von Hindenburg" (2.Masurisches) Nr. 147, killed 30 Aug 1914, Willenberg. 

Many thanks, and all best,

Pat

Hi Pat!

The regimental history has no casualty lists of NCOs and enlisted men.

The III bataillon fought at Willenberg end of august 1914. I need to know his name.

Right. I´ve found 1531 casualties of that regiment in 1914...

According to the regimental history a Lt.d.R. Warließ fell exactly that date.

So it was easy to find the casualties of Willenberg!

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/52448

Edited by The Prussian

Well you folks are amazing.... the post was so old, I doubted it would even get read!  (Oh me, of little faith).     The soldier in question was Julius Liebehenz of Sandershausen, Kassel, age 21 and 2 months  The death record lists him as having been a Musketier and that he died in the lazarett at Willenberg on 1 September.   In a book on Sandershausen, he is llsted as having fallen on 30 August 1914.   He was my great-uncle.  The remaining family knows nothing about him.    I am looking forward to the regiment history.   Thank you!

Hello!

As Charlie said, you can download the history for free with the link in his response

He is listed in column one of The Prussian's link, third name in Company 10.  It looks like this list covers an eight- day period including Tannenberg.  Impossible to know where he was injured.   

I have downloaded the book and am going to try to find out as much as I can about his company's movements.  Amazing resources.  Thank you!

Note, the man was called "Liebchenz", not "Liebehenz"

Hello Andy.   Good eye!     I'm inclined to believe this was a case of someone substituting a c for an e -- maybe a typesetter.  The death record is specific as to unit information, so I think it's a match.    

Question:  At the bottom, next to the printed word verstorben, is a line of manuscript that I cannot read.  If anyone can help...

I'm working on the regiment history.  Unfortunately I spoke too soon.... in many tries, have not been successful to get it downloaded, so am looking at the pages in the viewer.  It's pretty slow going for my skill level of reading this script but I'm fascinated by the detail and the pictures the writer paints.   My goal is to trace his company's whereabouts after leaving the garrison at Lötzen.  

It's interesting to me that at age 21 he was living in Hamburg as opposed to Kassel. According to death record, he was a worker, not a trade apprentice or journeyman, so not sure if work would have brought him there.  Going to have to try to find some city directories for 1913 1914.

I'm attaching the death record and another image.    Thank you for all your help and insight on this, it's a great thing.  

Pat 

Julius death 1914.jpg

Julius.png

Pat, the bit you cannot read-

„verstorben sei nach Verwundung infolge Bauchschußes durch Gewehrgeschoß. (Stunde des Todes nicht angegeben)“

Charlie