Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Histories

FJ_VF168

Well, that´s strange. Once Liebchenz, once Liebehenz. But I think the official documents are right. So Liebehenz will be right.

In the manual scripts he is written "Liebehenze"

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you Andy and Charlie for your help.  I haven't been on much, even though we are locked down for the last week here in Greece and I'm just in the house. I work on the Regiment History and search for photos of the battle, the area, the uniform.  I would like to find where he is buried, but so far the Volksbund has no record of him. Is it safe to assume that since he died in the hospital, there would have been a record of where he was buried?  So many soldier's cemeteries in that area, so many deaths.  I can't conceive of the scope.    If anyone has guidance on how/where to search, please let me know.     With all best wishes for health and safety. Pat

He may have been repatriated to be buried at home. Another possibility is that he is buried in the East and most of those graves are either lost or are not online.

Jan

Well, that´s a good question. Buried in Hamburg (where he lived) or in Sandershausen (where he was born). I don´t think he was buried in East-Prussia.

The regimental history writes, that the "Ersatz" of the regiment came in peacetime to 50% from East-Prussia, the rest from Brandenburg, Westphalia and from Hanseatic cities, during the war from East-Prussia, Berlin, Hamburg, Lübeck, Bremen and Alsatians and Lorraines

Edited by The Prussian

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody direct me to a PDF version 3 Ulan regiment? Thank you in advance.

Hello Charlie!

Patrick has 3rd guard Ulans, not 3rd regiment of the line

2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Charlie!

Patrick has 3rd guard Ulans, not 3rd regiment of the line

Thanks Andy, my mistake :)

Thank both of you! I had the wrong URL for PATRICK.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I also have Najork's history of the Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment Nr. 2 (SRR2).

I'd be interested to see what your book on the battles in the Champagne has to say about this units role in the action of 25-27 Sept 1915

3 hours ago, ZweitesSchwere said:

Hello

I also have Najork's history of the Schweres Reserve Reiter Regiment Nr. 2 (SRR2).

I'd be interested to see what your book on the battles in the Champagne has to say about this units role in the action of 25-27 Sept 1915

Have you read „Kämpfe in der Champagne“ ? https://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/image/AC05992094/1/LOG_0000/
Charlie

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, i know that the first post is old now, but i'm highly interested about the history of the Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 56.

My great grandfather was in this regiment during WWI. Is it possible to get a copy of the book or any document related ?

Thanks !

There actually is a regimental history:

• Werner Oelze: "Das Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 56 im Weltkrieg", Erinnerungsblätter Preussen, Bd. 318, Berlin 1930, 111 Seiten.
  • GreYC

Oh thank you so much, i didn't know that website ! Is the digital form exactly similar to the book ?

Because the book seems rare and is a bit expensive (around 200 euros on ebay).

48 minutes ago, LIR5611K said:

Is the digital form exactly similar to the book ?

Yes, the pages are scanned directly from the books and saved in PDF format.

Charlie

7 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Yes, the pages are scanned directly from the books and saved in PDF format.

Thank you a lot Charlie ! :) I am really grateful to you !

• 3 months later...

From ancestry.com I can deduce my Grandfather began the war with II ersatz bataillon/. 3 Bayern infantry regt. (Augsburg) volume 4736.  From wikipedia it appears this regiment was involved primarily in France, yet this is not consistent with what he told me (reluctantly) when I pressed him on it. I found a catched response, I think from “Patrick” on this site from 2004 that better matched my Grandfathers description but cannot relocate it. I understand the Bavarian records are intact but my Grandfather had a common name so it is hard to track and my German is virtually nil. I also understand that his division may have been triangulated with the 11th Bavarian Infanterie from what I have read. If anyone has a recommendation for an online source where I might find his personal information I would greatly appreciate that as I have no information on his parents, his service record or even those who nursed him to health from his wounds.  

Regards to a well done forum. Craig - Michigan USA

Hello!

I´ve got the regimental history. But you need the ancestry entry of him.

The bavarian 3rd Inf.Rgt. fought:

1914: Lorraine, Somme, Peronne

1915: Galicia , Poland, Serbia

1916: Verdun, Russia, Rumania

1917: Upper Alsace, Aisne, Champagne, Flanders, St. Mihiel

1918: St. Mihiel, Armentières, Kemmel, belgian-dutch border, Reims, Soissons, Bruges, Flanders, Yser, Lys,

3 hours ago, Civilian Craig said:

From ancestry.com I can deduce my Grandfather began the war with II ersatz bataillon/. 3 Bayern infantry regt. (Augsburg) volume 4736.  From wikipedia it appears this regiment was involved primarily in France, yet this is not consistent with what he told me (reluctantly) when I pressed him on it. I found a catched response, I think from “Patrick” on this site from 2004 that better matched my Grandfathers description but cannot relocate it. I understand the Bavarian records are intact but my Grandfather had a common name so it is hard to track and my German is virtually nil. I also understand that his division may have been triangulated with the 11th Bavarian Infanterie from what I have read. If anyone has a recommendation for an online source where I might find his personal information I would greatly appreciate that as I have no information on his parents, his service record or even those who nursed him to health from his wounds.  

Regards to a well done forum. Craig - Michigan USA

Give us a name and birth date and there's no problem to get all exact information from the Kriegsstammrollen...

If you don't give that, there's no point speculating.

Jan

Johann Ernst born November 13, 1895. His Village was Stockach. I thought this was Bavaria but on the map it appears to the west in Baden Wurtenburg near Lake Contace.  Thank You both very much Andy and Jan. The man was/is very dear to me.

Hello,

He was born in Stockach (near Friedberg/Augsburg in Bavaria). I can't find it immediately on a map, but there are quite a few villages called "Stockach" in Germany. Unfortunately, google maps is extremely bad when it comes to finding German villages (place names are extremely tricky anyway to trust in google).

He served on the frontline from February 1916 to June 1918 with 1. machine gun company of 3rd Bavarian Infantry Regiment (part of 11th Bavarian Infantry Division). He was wounded on 12 June 1918.

Regards,

Jan

Hello!

The casualty list says: Stockach/Oberb.

That means Oberbayern. Augsburg belongs to Schwaben but Friedberg belonged to Oberbayern, but I couldn´t find a Stockach there...)

Here is a list of Stockach in Oberbayern. In the kingdom of Bavaria a lot of them seemed to be independent villages. Today they belong to other towns.

Ortsteil = Part of town

Gemeinde = Community

Markt = bavarian kind of community

Stadt = Town

Landkreis = County

Stockach (Dietramszell), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Dietramszell, Landkreis Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen, Bayern

Stockach (Frasdorf), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Frasdorf, Landkreis Rosenheim, Bayern

Stockach (Haiming), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Haiming, Landkreis Altötting, Bayern

Stockach (Kirchberg), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Kirchberg, Landkreis Erding, Bayern

Stockach (Petting), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Petting, Landkreis Traunstein, Bayern

Stockach (Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn, Landkreis Dachau, Bayern

Stockach (Saaldorf-Surheim), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Saaldorf-Surheim, Landkreis Berchtesgadener Land, Bayern

Stockach (Teisendorf), Ortsteil des Marktes Teisendorf, Landkreis Berchtesgadener Land, Bayern

Stockach (Traunstein), Ortsteil der Stadt Traunstein, Landkreis Traunstein, Bayern

Maybe it´s Stockach (Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn). It´s only 20km to Friedberg.

https://geoportal.bayern.de/bayernatlas/?topic=ba&lang=de&bgLayer=atkis&catalogNodes=11,122&E=659112.27&N=5352196.67&zoom=10

1.jpg.fef3f5ea90b06299a6c7b364d440cfa4.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

57 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

The casualty list says: Stockach/Oberb.

That means Oberbayern. Augsburg belongs to Schwaben but Friedberg belonged to Oberbayern, but I couldn´t find a Stockach there...)

Here is a list of Stockach in Oberbayern. In the kingdom of Bavaria a lot of them seemed to be independent villages. Today they belong to other towns.

Ortsteil = Part of town

Gemeinde = Community

Markt = bavarian kind of community

Stadt = Town

Landkreis = County

Stockach (Dietramszell), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Dietramszell, Landkreis Bad Tölz-Wolfratshausen, Bayern

Stockach (Frasdorf), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Frasdorf, Landkreis Rosenheim, Bayern

Stockach (Haiming), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Haiming, Landkreis Altötting, Bayern

Stockach (Kirchberg), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Kirchberg, Landkreis Erding, Bayern

Stockach (Petting), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Petting, Landkreis Traunstein, Bayern

Stockach (Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn, Landkreis Dachau, Bayern

Stockach (Saaldorf-Surheim), Ortsteil der Gemeinde Saaldorf-Surheim, Landkreis Berchtesgadener Land, Bayern

Stockach (Teisendorf), Ortsteil des Marktes Teisendorf, Landkreis Berchtesgadener Land, Bayern

Stockach (Traunstein), Ortsteil der Stadt Traunstein, Landkreis Traunstein, Bayern

Maybe it´s Stockach (Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn). It´s only 20km to Friedberg.

https://geoportal.bayern.de/bayernatlas/?topic=ba&lang=de&bgLayer=atkis&catalogNodes=11,122&E=659112.27&N=5352196.67&zoom=10

My information comes from the Kriegsstammrollen. There, sometimes it is mentioned as Stockach Augsburg and sometimes as Stockach Friedberg. Friedberg and Augsburg are neighbouring cities, so it must be a small place around there.