Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Histories

FJ_VF168

Hello Patrick

I would be interested to get an extract from thos units : Res Jäg Btl and KB12 (spring 1918 on the Avre near Moreuil) and KB RIR 16 since april 1918 in Montdidier sector.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoj!

I would appreciate information on the composition of Marine Korps Flandern in middle 1915.

Thank you.

Borys

• 6 months later...
My grandfather Konrad Reinhold joined the 1st Hannoverian Infantry Regiment No 74. He was a musketeer and died at Somme-Py on 7 October 1915. I was told that his regiment travelled to Somme-Py just the day before from the 'east'. Do you know where I can find out more about his regiment and where he may have been before Somme-Py?

In case you're interested in the regiment's history prior to the war, I've scanned a brief history published in 1904 which I've made available for purchase/download:

http://www.lulu.com/content/659257

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

I'm searching for a history of the Kurassier Regiment Herzog Friedrich Eugen von Wurttemberg (West Prussian) No. 5

I wonder if you can help me I am looking for the German units which opposed the Scots Guards on 30 March 1916 in the Hooge area. The reason is my wife's great uncle was killed by an artillery barrage on that day. I have a history of his movements and it would be appreciated to know the units on that day. Many Thanks

Thank you for reply it never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge of this forum. Also the quickness of the replies as well. Thanks again.

If you post what you know about his movements, we may be able to crew down the details more tightly. There are no guarantees of course, but something might show up in the published record. Almost certainly you could obtain chapter and verse on this from a visit to the Hauptstaatsarchiv in Stuttgart.

Jack

• 6 months later...

Can anyone help me with the history of the following units ?

77 RIR

1 Landwehr Div

236 Div

Thanks !

There are very few German divisional histories. Neither of the ones you mention were writtene. I have the history for RIR 77. What do you want to know?

Jack

Jack, thank you very much for your reply. I've PM'ed you what I'm exactly looking for.

Jo

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Patrick,

I would like some help with Pionier Bataillon Nr. 11 (kurhessisches), which I believe served in the Asia Corps in Palestine.

Can you tell me who was in command and if you know what uniforms were worn ?

Thanks very much.

regards

Stephen

Patrick,

Missed this one, Infanterie Regiment Nr. 146 (1.masurisches) also were in Palestine with the Asis Corps ( or Asien Korps ?)

Do you have a list of officers and their roles for this regiment that you could share.

thanks

regards

Stephen

• 5 weeks later...

Hi !

I work mainly on the eastern front, and if I can find some russians books on the web, the german side is not so easy to find.

In fact, I'm lacking of german maps, mainly on the 1915's campaign after Gorlice : so can you help me ?

I think this books have some maps :

-Nowo Georgiewsk

-Die Kämpfe der Bug Armee

-Der Durchbruch am Narew

-Karpathen & Dnjesterschlacht

Thanks

Sylvain

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose anyone has a history for Kgl. Sächs. 1. Pionier-Bataillon Nr.12? I am specifically looking for divisional / corps attachments for their 4th reserve company, especially for July 1918.

I'm also after anything on 241.Div (one of the Saxon 'new' divisions) and its infantry regiments, IR 472, 473 and 474 (comprising 246. Infanterie-Brigade). I'm not too optimistic as these units only came into existence in January 1917, but thought it worth asking.

Andi

To the best of my knowledge there is no history available for Pi Bn 12, but each of those infantry regiments you listed does have a full history: viz Das Kgl. Saechs.Inf-Regt 472 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918, Hans Saupe, Dresden 1923; Das Kgl. Saechs. Inf-Regt Nr. 473 Gerhard Claus/Heinrich Gnuechtel Dresden 1929;Das Kgl. Saechs. Inf-Regt Nr. 474 Fritz Pflugbeil, Dresden 1929. If you check out www.zvab.com you can buy IR 473 for €99 and IR 474 for €80, though of course somebody may already have one and be able to help.

Unfortunately, although I do have the odd history from the 47- series, I do not have any of those three. However, I can let you have a three page summary of the events of July 1918 for the 241st, taken from Sachsen in Grosser Zeit if it would be helpful.

Jack

To the best of my knowledge there is no history available for Pi Bn 12, but each of those infantry regiments you listed does have a full history: viz Das Kgl. Saechs.Inf-Regt 472 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918, Hans Saupe, Dresden 1923; Das Kgl. Saechs. Inf-Regt Nr. 473 Gerhard Claus/Heinrich Gnuechtel Dresden 1929;Das Kgl. Saechs. Inf-Regt Nr. 474 Fritz Pflugbeil, Dresden 1929. If you check out www.zvab.com you can buy IR 473 for €99 and IR 474 for €80, though of course somebody may already have one and be able to help.

That's marvellous, thankyou - I shall have a look, and also put my German co-investigator onto the case.

I must say I am surprised re. Pi Bn 12. I have been trying (via Hermann Cron's book) to get my head around the confusing system(s) of numbering applied to the various additional battalions and companies raised under the organisational umbrella of the original peacetime battalions. Does anyone have access to, or no of, any master reference which will allow me to match up the number(s) assigned to a specific company in the field?

Unfortunately, although I do have the odd history from the 47- series, I do not have any of those three. However, I can let you have a three page summary of the events of July 1918 for the 241st, taken from Sachsen in Grosser Zeit if it would be helpful.

That would be excellent - once more, thankyou for your invaluable help with my investigations. I'm looking at a copy of Sachsen in Grosser Zeit on eBay at the moment, but I'm not sure I can afford it right now.

Hopefully this narrative will help to stitch together the two accounts I now have of 241 Div's ordeal on 18/07/1918 - from the regimental history of FAR 48 (the 'black day of the regiment') and from Pionier Leutnant d. res. Lenke's medal citation.

Gruss

Andi L.

NB: I have just spoken to the Imperial War Museum library staff (with a view to arranging a research visit with my grandmother), and they confirmed that they have copies of the histories for all three of these 47- series IRs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Patrick -

Regarding your list at the beginning of the thread, I'd be very interested to see anything from the following histories you listed for July 18th 1918 (2nd Marne):

(the following two units were with 11.Bav.Div., who were to the left of my GGF's 241.Div. (Saxon))

Das K.B. Reserve Infanterie Regiment Nr.13

Das K.B. 3. Infanterie Regiment "Prinz Karl von Bayern"

(the following unit was with 53.Res.Div. (Saxon) on the right of 241.Div.)

Das K.S. Reserve Infanterie Regiment 241

Cheers

Andi Lucas

One excellent unit history to add to the list is this one in French

Le 75e Regiment d'Infanterie allemand dans la guerre de mouvement

It's nearly 500 pages of first-hand accounts of the war in 1914 as translated into French from the regimental magazine.

At 8 Euros, it's an absolute steal (I bought the printed version which is very well produced too).

• 1 year later...

Two books are relevant: Geschichte des Inf-Regts. von Goeben (2.Rhein) Nr. 28 im Weltkriege 1914 - 1918 Koeln 1932 and Soldaten des Grabens: Mit dem Inf.-Regt. von Goeben Nr. 28 in Frankreich und Russland W Hahn 1933. I am afraid that I do not own either of them, but someone else may be able to help.

Jack