Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

Taff

With the exception of Scout; I assume all of this were temporary roles, so one wouldn't necessarily want it permanently fixed. This is tacked with one or two stitches in about four places. The (named) tunic came with a load of paperwork (inc. paybook) and contains a few orders showing that the bloke was back and forth as a messenger for about a month. Long enough not to want to keep taking it on and off, but short enough not to mount it permanently. That is my theory, cough, that is my own (as the Pythons would say).

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

36th Div. Signals ...soldier is W. J. McNiece. Armband prominent.

post-1582-1137852623.jpg

Taff,

Doing a look-up for LB1418 I came across the pattern number of VF Khaki armlet with Crown GR. (9301/1916). These were issued in parrellel with the Red versions until 1917 when the red versions were declared obsolete and only the Khaki versions were to be worn.

Joe Sweeney

Can anyone tell me the meaning of an armband, with the letters, NOOD.

In a diary, during a subsequent landing at Galipoli, dated 12th May 1915, there is an entry;

" Some of the Naval reserve men with "NOOD" on elbow straps are aboard."

It's not HOOD is it?

No it is quite clearly NOOD.

They are aboard, the "Steamer is N14 Grantully Castle of Union, Castle line and trades with South & East African Coast. Mail steamer."

I had assumed they had something to do with the helping the troops disembark and completre a landing. I had hoped that this naval armband may have been recorded with other military ones.

G'day Gents,

I would like to make a small contribution to this thread. The Int Corps colour was probably Green lettering on Pale Blue, as the Intelligence Staff Officers at the various HQ wore Green tabs and the Pale Blue with Green lettering would be a way of distinguishing IC officers not in staff positions (Not even sure if I uderstand that logic myself!). There is a photograph of an IC SGT questiooning a French civilian in Bethune published in the book "Forearmed" wearing this style shown below (hopefully!). I believe the UK Int Corps have one or two, but I didn't see them in my visit late last year.

post-6813-1138032190.gif

The second style with the scouts Fleur de Lys is apparently at the Museum of Military Intelligence and is described by a collector in Sydney, Aust as Blue with Cypres green lettering—stitched. 17 Lancers Uniform 4099 L/Cpl F.S Castle. Intelligence Corps Museum 1993 Ashford

post-6813-1138032477.gif

LB. He also records an Australian Militia Intelligence Officers variant circa 1935, as red/black/red with white IO and I have a Dk Green felt armband with FSP, which must be post about 1927 and pre 1940

post-6813-1138032548.gif

I also have a commercially produced 1914-15 booklet that identifies the base colours for the gorgets, which would directly relate to the armbands, it is a LONG list and I will copy and post it later tonight, as I am off to bed!

cheers,

chris

Sorry for the physical size of the images! I had converted them from the Microsoft Publisher document the Sydney collector gave me to GIF images, the three total about 50kbs,

LB: I will keep a keen eye on this thread, looking forward to seeing the long list to the 1930's.

cheers,

Chris

No it is quite clearly NOOD.

They are aboard, the "Steamer is N14 Grantully Castle of Union, Castle line and trades with South & East African Coast. Mail steamer."

I had assumed they had something to do with the helping the troops disembark and completre a landing. I had hoped that this naval armband may have been recorded with other military ones.

Sorry Grant this does not even sound remotely familiar.

But then again the lists I have only cover Army approved armlets and RND (only after it was taken ovber by the WO).

There probably is an equivelent list of Naval armlets, But I've never been in any Navy records.

Joe Sweeney

Sorry Grant this does not even sound remotely familiar.

But then again the lists I have only cover Army approved armlets and RND (only after it was taken ovber by the WO).

There probably is an equivelent list of Naval armlets, But I've never been in any Navy records.

Joe Sweeney

Try "Naval Operating ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Docks

Thanks for the attemps with the NOOD armband, it has had me guessing for ages.

As promised here is a scan of an original runners armband, and an image of the original owner, Private Albert Vinall, no.3635, 32nd Battalion AIF.

http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/militariaph...ges.asp?key=332

post-6040-1138615806.jpg

post-6040-1138615830.jpg

Nice one Grant. Herewith the back of mine illustrated on p.2 of the thread - I'm pleased to see they are seem pretty much identical in construction.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

This is from a booklet "Badges and their Meanings" produced in 1916 (April-Jun?).

I have also started on the Gorget list at "Others" in response to a previous thread. I will post a link there and continue it here in Uniforms over the next few days,

cheers,

Chrispost-6813-1138799644.jpg