The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

Hi LB,

Great stuff ...and a pre-War Territorial RAMC "Stretcher Bearer" qualification patch for the collection too.

Cheers,

Taff

I have just looked up my refs. The SB badge appears in VF Regs 1896 to 1901, but clealy soldiered on long enough to be made for service dress. It was for those holding a cert. of proficiency in ambulance work, up to two badges per company. I suspect it was not for RAMC, if indeed VF had an RAMC component, because there was no need .... a qualified RAMC man had the red cross badge, and brassard, and cherry -coloured cuff lace.

You're right LB,

Serves me right for not digging out your Qualifications Badges book before sending the picture!

The badge obviously soldiered on with the Territorial Force after 1908 as these two pictures show; the L/Cpl playing cards is serving with 1/5th South Staffords. His '14 Pattern belt and P14 bayonet suggest that the picture dates from early 1915 but I am sure someone will be able to say for sure.

The portrait picture was taken by Boughtons in Ipswich but there is no regimental or corps insignia to give any clues although he is also wearing a 1914 Pattern leather belt so the picture probably also dates from 1915. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one being worn after 1915 but, if there were only two per company, they may be harder to notice.

With best wishes,

Taff

post-1565-1140306129.gif

post-1565-1140306150.gif

Great stuff ...and a pre-War Territorial RAMC "Stretcher Bearer" qualification patch for the collection too.

Cheers,

Taff

Taff,

Australians too wore this badge.

The first mention of a stretcher bearer qual badge is in

'Orders for Dress and Clothing - 1906'

Regimental Stretcher Bearers' (Militia and volunteer Forces) badge.

though it doesn't describe it.

But then in both

'Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing - Citizen Forces - 1912;' and

'Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing - Citizen Forces (REVISED TO 31st DECEMBER, 1918.)'

the badge is described as-

“S.B.” (entwined) - Efficiency, Regimental Stretcher Bearer -

the positioning of the badge alternating between the 'right arm above the elbow' (1906), 'lower right arm' (1912) and 'lower left arm' (1918).

The badge was also worn by the AIF throughout the war, USUALLY on the upper left arm (photo evidence).

Dan

Thanks Dan,

That's really interesting. I have never seen the badge being worn by British Territorial troops as late as 1918; I wonder when it was finally phased out by the Australians?

With best wshes,

Taff

LB,

Can I suggest that when you collate this and have it moved over to the Long Road, why not amalgamate the Gorget Patch thread with it, it was all interrelated,

cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Thanks David - the bullion work is exquisite (look at the chains).

And I also have to say thanks to you and Joe for this thread for, without it, I wouldn't have known what this was and may well have left it.

Is it my imagination, or is the gun in your illustration facing left?

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

• 2 months later...

And here with another recently acquired. Doesn't exactly conform with anything on Joe or David's lists, but it does seem to be of the Army HQ variety.

Can anyone be more specific?

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

according to Talbot-Booth this is Chief of the Imperial General Staff branch, c. 1935.
Thank you for that. An interesting thing then, although not as early as I would have hoped.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

I think all we can say is that it was current in 1935 and nothing about when introduced.
A useful clarification Grumpy, for which thanks. IIRC, CiGS as a post was introduced in 1908 and ceased in 1964. Obviously, the KC gives us a window for it. But nothing more, which is a shame. Hey ho.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

This armband was recently for sale on ebay. I was the underbidder. Can anyone out there positively identify it? I think the badge was WW1 era. The armband was listed as WW2 and someone has suggested to me it could be linked to the guards armoured division because of the blue/red/blue coloured strips. Over to the experts.

post-1873-1169801446.jpg

post-1873-1169801521.jpg

Two Signallers Armbands

1 is an officers brassard, (Captain) with the added motif to the 15th (Scottish) Div Sig Coy. R.E. (in my collection)

The second to to the 57th (West Lancashire) Div Sig Coy. R.E. which resides in the Imperial War Museum

Does anybody know of any more instances of these added insignia?

Guy

post-12226-1169803228.jpeg

post-12226-1169803240.jpeg

Hi Tanks,

I haven't forgotten that Salvage Battalion SD tunic. I spoke with the owner last week and all I need to do now is find the time to drive over to his village and photograph it!

Coming soon... watch this space.

Cheers,

Taff