Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

1 hour ago, Surreyguardsman said:

This postcard turned up for the collection a few weeks ago and interestingly appears to be the same VTC Member originally posted by Graham and in fact appears to have been taken at the same Studio judging by the backdrop. In this image however it can be seen that he wears both the 'GR' and Derby Scheme armband along with what appears to be a circular badge bearing the letter 'G' above his right pocket. Can anyone identify the badge please?

Unfortunately there are no Studio details to the card reverse as this would be a good starting point for identification of the VTC Unit cap badge shown.

Regards, Simon.

Forgot the photograph.

vtc (2).JPEG

vtc (3).JPEG

It looks to me to be the cap badge of the Kent Volunteer Fencibles. The breast badge is the general VTC pattern.   Pete.

4 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It looks to me to be the cap badge of the Kent Volunteer Fencibles. The breast badge is the general VTC pattern.   Pete.

Pete,

Many thanks for that, have just looked at the badge under a glass and I believe you are correct, it certainly is a good match for The Kent Volunteer Fencibles.

Regards, Simon.

Hi Simon - What a strange coincidence that another photo of the same man should turn up after all of these years in a different pose. However is answer to your question regarding the badge above his right breast pocket its the V.T.C. Proficiency Badge, which will hopefully be attached from V.T.C. Regulations 1916.

78725195_VTCRegs1916(2).jpg.d3258d4f7a236cb95f1f32e9c3a04991.jpg

Edited by Graham Stewart

Thanks Graham, a strange coincidence indeed. I should have thought of the above badge as I have had a number of them over the years. not sure why I imagined it was a 'G', perhaps I was swayed by the 'GR; armband!

Simon.

I also think he is wearing the cap badge of the Kent Volunteer Fencibles (Volunteer Training Corps), as mentioned above.

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

Sepoy.

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Regards, Simon

• 6 months later...

Charley heare Runner for the second monmouthshire regiment. Survived the entire war.

20210731_223513.jpg.d60bdd5e8daefab1035cfcb2784251a5.jpg

He is wearing a red brassard with a white stripe on both arms.

• 2 years later...

Hi, does anyone have a good photo of a FWW 1st Canadian Division arm band. I am looking at making a repro for a General Currie display. Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, SEMM said:

Hi, does anyone have a good photo of a FWW 1st Canadian Division arm band. I am looking at making a repro for a General Currie display. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are two typical divisional level armbands.  Looking at photos and paintings of general officers of the CEF I can’t see anything significantly different worn by the senior officers of 1st Cdn Div, but perhaps @regimentalrogue or @RNCVR can better advise.  The big difference was that forage cap peaks were decorated with gilt bullion Maple leaves rather than the Oak leaves used by British and other Dominion general officers.  A mix of both types of cap seem to have been worn by Canadians.

In the enclosed photos you see Arthur Currie wearing the correct red-white-red brassard/armband for corps level after he took over command from Byng.

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_4587.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Here are two typical divisional level armbands.  Looking at photos and paintings of general officers of the CEF I can’t see anything significantly different worn by the senior officers of 1st Cdn Div, but perhaps @regimentalrogue or @RNCVR can better advise.  The big difference was that forage cap peaks were decorated with gilt bullion Maple leaves rather than the Oak leaves used by British and other Dominion general officers.  A mix of both types of cap seem to have been worn by Canadians.

In the enclosed photos you see Arthur Currie wearing the correct red-white-red brassard/armband for corps level after he took over command from Byng.

Thanks, Currie's armband has a maple leaf in the center of it and I would like to see what it looks like as I would like to reproduce it and am not sure what I would use.

5 hours ago, SEMM said:

Thanks, Currie's armband has a maple leaf in the center of it and I would like to see what it looks like as I would like to reproduce it and am not sure what I would use.

Probably a piece of red cloth cut in the shape of the Maple leaf superimposed on the central white band.  I cannot see it in the photographs apart from the largest one, where he’s standing alongside Haig.

I think he must have added the Maple leaf subsequently as it’s clearly not there in two of the photos below but in the lowermost one where he is with Haig an and other general officers it can be made out as a leaf shape with a contrasting colour edging.

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Sorry, unable to assist you as I never collected CEF!

56 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Sorry, unable to assist you as I never collected CEF!

Thanks Bryan, it was worth a try.  It’s a pity that there seem to be few Canadian members here.  I’m struggling to find any photos of a general staff armband with a Maple leaf on it.

IMG_1315.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Bryan, it was worth a try.  It’s a pity that there seem to be few Canadian members here.  I’m struggling to find any photos of a general staff armband with a Maple leaf on it.

OF course there would be CEF collectors that might know for sure, I just dont know any of them!

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

OF course there would be CEF collectors that might know for sure, I just dont know any of them!

Hopefully @regimentalrogue will reply.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Hopefully @regimentalrogue will reply.

If thats is the (Canadian)collector I am thinking of (He specializes in RCR) he would likely know.  

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

If thats is the (Canadian)collector I am thinking of (He specializes in RCR) he would likely know.  

Yes that’s him. He doesn’t always reply to a shout out, but I’m not sure if that’s just because he hasn’t seen the message.

• 1 month later...

During a visit to the State Library I found this, I doubt it's going to blow anyone's mind, but thought it may be of some interest -

IMG_3376.jpg.010caac20dcff3d481f6cb0b99afd3cd.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg.79deb17328052691ec935b16e26d9a85.jpg

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

1 hour ago, Fromelles said:

During a visit to the State Library I found this, I doubt it's going to blow anyone's mind, but thought it may be of some interest -

IMG_3376.jpg.010caac20dcff3d481f6cb0b99afd3cd.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg.79deb17328052691ec935b16e26d9a85.jpg

Dan

That’s interesting Dan and such published orders are always really useful, thanks for sharing it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

good evening,

here is my medical brassard :

brassard(1).JPG.f4b5891a4f84b842fe0454751b8ead5c.JPG

brassard(2).JPG.d535d8cfd47c4a0c2f1fdfcc27f4f536.JPG

Military Police near Arras 1916 - 1917 :

MP.jpg.a8ad8cc06f3490d95724b158b53a500d.jpg

South African Medical Corps :

southafrica-SB.jpg.0c2f392d96021f6ca8f2316df5a730ad.jpg

Royal Army Medical Corps :

RAMC.jpg.fc2daacefdf7c7efa2a1dd3f42d119cf.jpg

michel