Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

Hi Langleybaston1418,

After reading the above post I am still a bit confused. The armbamd I posted was red and so from above assume this represented an appointment with HQ London and District and Div HQ. The letter was a black G but there is no corresponding appointment in the list. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Langleybaston 1418,

Thanks. Its definately 1914-18 I can tell from the pattern of the tank badge. Nice item - it was on ebay but I didn't get it.

Tanks3

Hi Tanks3,

Re-reading Joe Sweeney's list (on the first page of this thread) I think number 7: "Div HQ Red BEF GRO' to Jan 1918" might be the one you are looking for.

I may have this hopelessly wrong but... If a red brassard was worn by Divisional Headquarters Staff and the "G" means General Staff then the Tank badge indicates the Senior Tank Officer on the General Staff of a Division... but I could be wrong!

Here is a scan of a couple of Tank badges I have had for years. The lower one is definitely a Great War pattern as I have a friend who still has his father's original tunic which has an identical badge on the sleeve but I'm not sure of the age of the top one; it was in a small tin with the effects of a Great War officer but that's no guarantee of it's age. Any thoughts?

Taff

post-1565-1138844714.gif

I apologise for this being a post GW/WW1 question, but continuing on the theme, this is a brassard I am trying to ID:

post-6813-1138863053.jpg

I know the inititals stand for Field Security Police, which is the name for Intelligence Police post 1927, which later became "Field Security" in about 1940, but I just don't know the provenance. It comes from Australia and a number have been sold on eBay over the past few years. I have heard various stories, but none which is researchable, nor a authority or reference for them.

Can any Pal assist?

cheers,

Chris

I have only just stummbled upon this thread Old Grumpy and others should be congratulated for this great resource thread.

I think it should be pursued and refined and then put as an 'article' for Chris to put on the mother site as a great reference resource.

well done

regards

Arm

Taff

The upper of your two tank badges is certainly post WW1 and is the very same that continues to be worn by all members of the Royal Tank Regiment on their Service Dress right upper sleeve to this day.

Charles M

Hi Taff,

Both badges are WW1 vintage. You can tell the first is because the barrel of the tank is straight whereas all WW2 and later issue had the barrels of the tank at a 45 degree angle. The second is also WW1 - the officers 3/4 view which were not official but seem to have been worn commonly by officers and I assume were private purchase. Also note again on the 2nd badge the barrel is straight. I have copies of these in my collection.

Any chance of a photo of the tunic showing the insignia?

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Charles and Tanks3,

Thanks for your responses.

Interesting that you say the lower one is an officer pattern as my friend's father was an OR in one of the Salvage Battalions. His ORs Service Dress tunic is in quite a state as he used it a great deal for gardening after the war! However, next time I see him I will ask him if I can photograph it as, despite it's condition, the insignia are intact including the chequered insignia on the shoulder straps.

I have looked at several of my known WW2 tank badges and a WW2 RTR uniform and I see what you mean about the barrels of the guns - all the later ones in my collection have the barrels at a 45 degree angle...

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Taff

post-7376-1138919909.jpg

V.T.C. member wearing armband.

Graham.

post-7376-1138920079.jpg

How they were seem by the public.

Graham.

post-7376-1138920161.jpg

A "Derby Scheme" armband being worn with evening attire.

Graham.

Great pictures Graham!

The VTC soldier appears to have a woven web belt with a snake clasp. I have a similar one in my collection that I have never been able to identify - were they a standard VTC item? All my photographs of Suffolk VTC men show them wearing '03 Pattern or the 2" version of the '08 pattern belt. I also have a commercial version of the brown leather Volunteer 1888 pattern belt marked "5th VBSR" which dates from the Volunteer Force period...

Taff

post-1565-1138922940.gif

...and I wonder how many other "brassards, armlets and armbands" starred on their own Christmas cards? The VTC armband on the card is even made from red serge!

post-1565-1138923175.gif

Hi Taff,

Interested in your reply. I wasn't aware the 3/4 view badge was worn by O/R's. More interestingly I would like to see the chequered insignia of which you speak. I was again not aware of this flash and assume this was for the salvage companies of the TC. I know each TC battalion had a different coloured flash but not the salvage companies. Desperate for a photo!!!!!!!!! (colour if poss)

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Tanks3,

I will call him and ask if I can photograph it sometime in the next couple of weeks. From memory it's a black and white check - almost dog-tooth pattern. He still has his original Brodie helmet too which originally had a piece of the same cloth glued to the front but, unfortunately, it came unstuck and has since been lost which is a great shame. He has quite a few other bits too - luckily he was quite a souvenir collector.

Cheers,

Taff

Hi Taff,

You are a gent and you have greatly aroused my interest. Is he another Egbert who has a trunk full of his relatives bits and pieces? What other goodies are there I ask?

All serious though I am very grateful to you for the offer of the photo

Tanks3

Clothing Regs India 1929 from my notebook.

GMP is Garrison Military Police, MP is Military Police, RP Regimental Police. Note that embarkation in the trooping season was a major and complicated undertaking, hence 4 categories.

Note also India a law unto itself, with its own Clothing Regs and therefore no conclusions can be drawn regarding non-India usage.

Note also that, the Scout badge having been dropped at end of war, an armlet had to be invented!

post-894-1139671248.jpg

LB,

You must have some fascinating material!

Chris

believe me!

50 years of squirrelling away in archives etc, but it is rather eclectic in that I note only those topics of current interest and often wish I had been less blinkered.

I will add pre- 1914 at some stage.

1905 and 1913 from official descriptions

1. Directors staff and umpires, right arm

2. Military Compensation officers, left arm

3. Officers, spectators and newspapers, left arm

4. Military Manoeuvres Commission, left arm. "Gold badge"?

5. Umpires, both arms

6. Compensation Officers, both arms

7. Narrative officers, both arms

8. Neutrals

9. Press

10. Spectators

post-894-1139841895.jpg