Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Tommy

Sparky53

Brilliant, moving and many other emotions. I was in awe of them!

Can anyone help fill in a gap for me (she who will remain nameless distracted me at an inoppotune moment)

Harry Patch had said that he did not want to visit the area where he lost his pals. Later he changed his mind and visited a memorial near ???? ridge. Thats the bit I missed. Can anyone tell me where this was.

Thanks

Keith

keith, I agree with all your sentiments about the programme and I think the memorial was near Pilkem Ridge, to the north of Ypres.

Regards, Ray

keith, I agree with all your sentiments about the programme and I think the memorial was near Pilkem Ridge, to the north of Ypres.

Regards, Ray

Thanks Ray :)

Now added to my list for my next visit

Keith

During the last few days, with numerous Great War programmes to watch and comment upon, naturally a number of criticisms have been made. Of course, we all have different aspects of the War that we like to concentrate upon be it weapons, politics, the human side etc. I for one would never notice the No 4 rifle being used in 'The Somme', but it upset others as we all want to see the perfect programme.

It has been noticeable that as far as I can tell, no criticism has been made about the 'Last Tommy'. Well, all the fine comments above are of course true, and I don't wish to devalue them in any way, but..........there was one comment that struck me like a thunderbolt. The narrator suggested that one officer (we know him to be Capt Neville) bought footballs for his men to kick on 1 July 16, but not to keep their minds off the bullets flying around, which was what I've always been given to understand, but because they were so confident that they would just be walking across in no danger, the footballs were being provided to alieviate boredom. Where did the BBC get this idea from? Surely it is nonsense? Isn't it? And if it is nonsense, what a shame it was included in an otherwise perfect programme. Surely you can't say they were so relaxed they needed to play football across No Man's Land, and then have Harry Patch saying that anyone who said they weren't scared were liars. Can someone clear this matter up, please?

I visited Toc H a few weeks ago and felt that it was like stepping back in time to another world which is now gone forever.

It must have been even more so for Harry Patch knowing that he is one of the handful of men who actually remember that time.

Excellent programme and very moving.

A group of amazing men.

Echo all praise.

Truly moving - stunned to silence.

Would love just to give Harry a great big smacker. What a gent. But I bet he was a bit of a lad in his day. Humerous with a great big heart.

Sad about the ones that have passed on, but we all know they and all the others will never be forgotten.

Truly amazing.

A bit numbing to be honest...

Just a bit!!

Stephen

Hi Susan,

I can ask Jack Johnson who represented Harry in the reconstructions if he would like to stand in for him one last time if you like!

Taff

susanhemmings: "Would love just to give Harry a great big smacker. What a gent. But I bet he was a bit of a lad in his day".

Hi Susan,

I can ask Jack Johnson who represented Harry in the reconstructions if he would like to stand in for him one last time if you like!

Taff

Taff, That's a very kind offer, but aside from frightening him off - he's probably not a "Patch" on Harry anyway.

Taff, You can always live in hope.

Just worked out who you are - nice to know someone who knows someone....

Thanks for posting.

Susan.

I loved the programme and thought it a fitting tribute to all those wonderful men. Very, very emotional and beautifully made.

One point though - all the congratulations have been for the BBC. The BBC commissioned this programme but it was made independently by Quickfire Media. If I had been the director I guess I would like to hear any positive comments from viewers.

Their website is www.quickfiremedia.com and the email address is info@quickfiremedia.com

Just a thought!

Cheers

A really good programme. only the ones who where there can tell the story. im glad they made it.

The Director was Harvey Lilley but I am sure that he would agree it was a real team effort. It was a great crew to work with and I am sure everyone at Quickfire will appreciate your comments.

With best wishes,

Taff

www.khakidevil.co.uk

I thought this programme was a real missed opportunity. Of course it was wonderful to see and hear the veterans talking, on what will probably be the last such programme made. But the heavy-handed presentation spoiled it. I didn't actually watch the second episode, so I don't know whether things had improved (doubt it), but the crassly tragic music and narration of the first one was quite enough for me. I don't need to have the tragedy of such events laid on with a trowel, thank you; I can perceive it for myself. A straightforward relation of the events, without musical accompaniment, would have far more effective.

Likewise, I didn't care for the reconstructions - without which it seems no historical programme is complete nowadays. They just didn't look convincing to me - but then without a big budget, it's hardly likely they will. All I could see was a few modern-day chaps running around doing their best to look deadly serious and more numerous than they were. Sorry, but the yells and theatrical bayoneting made me cringe. Archive film would have been so much more effective.

Why MUST the cheap sentiment always be piled on? What's wrong with understated? Do these TV producers think we all have the IQ of a gnat? I fear this trend will get worse as we approach the centenary. Ironic that such sloppy, wallowing programme-making would almost certainly have been anathema to the rather more discerning generation that took part in the Great War.

I enjoyed the programme very much. The thing I take away from me is the radiance of Harry Patch and Alfred Anderson's smiles - they were beautiful, old, lively and beautiful. Nothing about the show could take away from that.

Marina

It's been an interesting thread. We all have our opinions about the programme and I think we all agree that the veterans deserve the utmost respect.

Having said that, nothing new or revelatory - didn't think there would be.

I REALLY objected to the "Schindler's List" music. These guys were SOLDIERS not VICTIMS. To portray them as such degrades them.

I think that the magnitude of the Great War makes it difficult, if not impossible for people of today to take it in. Particularly the broadcasting media who have mostly never served or seen war - with the exception of the war correspondents. Therefore the TV industry finds it easier to pander to stereotypes.

As Richard Holmes put it in "Tommy", "Rats as big as cats, all me mates dead, up to me waist in mud".

This is what the media think that the public expects to hear, they cannot deal with anything challenging those stereotypes - so that's what they churn out.

Great old soldiers - shame about the treatment.

I enjoyed the programme very much.  The thing I take away from me is the radiance of Harry Patch and Alfred Anderson's smiles - they were beautiful, old, lively and beautiful.  Nothing about the show could take away from that.

Marina

Yes precisely, Marina. Harry Patch's eyes (which some say are the mirror to the soul) shone with vitality, even at his advanced age. But when he thought about his mates and Pilckem Ridge, they changed(even appeared to change colour- I know thats not possible, but it looked to me that way). They became the troubled eyes of a man who had been through hell, which obviously, they were. To carry so much, for so long, I don't think we can ever know what it means for them.