Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Tommy

Sparky53

The Last Tommy BBC Press Release

On BBC Tuesday 8th November 9-10pm Part 1 of 2

The Great War of 1914-18 wiped out millions of young men. Many of those who made it home to Blighty never spoke of the horrors of the trenches.

Now, of the five and a half million British and Commonwealth servicemen who fought, just a handful remain.

The Last Tommy follows the six surviving British veterans, all over 100, and all that's left of the brave band of brothers, as they tell their stories for the last time.

Harry Patch had tried to forget the horrors, including the loss of all but two of his entire platoon of 30, in a war in which witnessing terrible and painful death was commonplace.

But his move to a nursing home at the age of 100 prompted recollections when the light in the blanket store, flicked on and off by staff during the night, triggered flashbacks of shells exploding in No Man's Land.

Arthur Halestrap, now 105, recalls being offered the daughter of a German family for sex in exchange for food, so near starvation were they, while Jim Lovell remembers being lied to by the authorities.

Gassed in a German offensive and recovering in a field hospital, he was told he was being taken for a day trip to the seaside - in fact he was being transported back to the Front for a final push.

The moving testimonies pay tribute to the extraordinary resilience and valour of those who not only watched their comrades fall, but have witnessed their numbers diminishing year by year - just five were present at the Cenotaph in 2003 - as age slowly claims them, till the last living memory of the First World War passes away.

JW

From Radio Times:-

Documentary series telling the stories of Britain's last surviving World War I veterans, known as Tommies, only 27 of whom remained by 2003. Alfred Anderson is the last of the Old Contemptibles, Britain's tiny peace-time army, who stood up to the might of overwhelming German forces. He is also the last Tommy alive to have witnessed the Christmas truce of 1914 when soldiers on both sides stopped fighting for the day.

Jane

Thanks for that Jane I will ear mark it in my programmes later.

Mandy

Thank you for the heads up - about time something came on worth watching!

Adrian

Thanks for the tip, with so many channels available now it's easy to miss a good programme. Is this a repeat? I recall something similar a couple of years ago, but am not sure it was a two-parter; I remember one grand old man who was fantastically articulate and focussed.

Moonraker

I knew about this programme some weeks ago but not the date it was being screened so would you believe it, the old trouble and strife has booked us out for that night. Just hope I can remember how to programme the old video recorder.......

The Last Tommy follows the six surviving British veterans, all over 100, and all that's left of the brave band of brothers, as they tell their stories for the last time.

The Last Tommy BBC Press Release

On BBC Tuesday 8th November 9-10pm Part 1 of 2

I will look forward to this prog- I'm working so will have to set the video. Thanks

Thanks for the tip, with so many channels available now it's easy to miss a good programme. Is this a repeat? I recall something similar a couple of years ago, but am not sure it was a two-parter; I remember one grand old man who was fantastically articulate and focussed.

Moonraker

Just to let you know that this is a completely new programme. It hasn't been shown before and was made in the last 18 months. In fact, it is a two-parter. There are two 60 minute programmes - one on 8th Nov and one the following week. Certainly worth watching...

On watching a DVD of WW1 in Colour there are three Veterans who talk from time to time. Each one is extremely articulate and it is marvellous that they have survived.

One of the chaps speaks in an extremely upper class accent and tells quite funny stories.

Another one recounts the time when he came face to face with a German and had two seconds "to make up my minds" he did not want to kill him so shot him in the ankle - he says "but I did not kill him". He then goes on to say "if anyone says that they were not afraid to go over the top, then they are a dammed liar".

The third chap on there has part of his ear missing.

All three are superbly articulate and endearing.

Definately not one to miss. Good on them..

Another one recounts the time when he came face to face with a German and had two seconds "to make up my minds" he did not want to kill him so shot him in the ankle - he says "but I did not kill him".  He then goes on to say "if anyone says that they were not afraid to go over the top, then they are a dammed liar". 

That was Harry Patch aged 107 - must say every time I watch that DVD thats the moment for me

Glyn

Mention in my local Express & Star paper is that 5.5 million soldeirs fought in WW1.

Of those only four now remain (?)

One interviewed for this two part series is Mr Alfred Anderson 109 years young and possibly the last witness to the famous Christmas truce of 1914

Set the video DVD (I will read the instructions for ours this weekend :rolleyes: )

thank you for the postings of clips of articles. what inspirational characters. cannot wait for Tuesday

susan

Does anybody know when this programme will be shown in Scotland? There's football on BBC1 Scotland on Tuesday evening & I can't find it in the listings on the BBC's website for either BBC1 or 2 over the next 7 days.

Does anybody know when this programme will be shown in Scotland? There's football on BBC1 Scotland on Tuesday evening & I can't find it in the listings on the BBC's website for either BBC1 or 2 over the next 7 days.

Gibbo,

Have you got sky, if so you should be able to tune into one of the BBC1 English regional channels

Mark