Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Tommy

Sparky53

Wonderful troopers.

Sad for the Scottish chap who had the door shut in his face.

That's the bit that got to me most.

Stephen

Really wonderful and moving programme... I was crying for the poor chap turned away, although the women must've been really traumatised at seeing him admittedly. Grinned like mad at the chap with the err "tummy problem" who drank aircraft oil to fix himself up! :)

Looking forward to next week

Wonderful programme, real 'lump in the throat time' just very sad to realise that they will all be gone soon and finally that precious living link with the Great War will be broken.

RIP.

Scottie.

Wonderful program, i think that next weeks will be very sad as it says there were 27 of them alive when they started filming and now there are only 4.

All of them had such fantastic personalities.

Brilliant, moving and educational for someone of my generation, i really hope that people who have never really looked into WWI are inspired to do so and realise exactly what was given by these great men.

Kev.(33)

The trauma was still there even after all these years.

I wanted to die peacefully but you raked it all up said Mr Anderson...

John

but he smiled after he said it

i laughed and had tears as well

good work BBC

I just checked... in the hour between 9 and 10 pm today there was ONE post on the forum.

I've always suspected that this country has never really recovered from the trauma of the Great War, and the pain still evident in these men's stories reinforces that.

But their dignity and courage and humour was an inspiration to us all. We will be the poorer when they go.

now there are only 4.

There is a long running thread on WW1 veterans on the Victoria Cross forum and they reckon there are nine left currently (plus four poilus, and about the same number of Germans, and about 20 Americans including some who never made it abroad)

http://www.victoriacross.net/forum_topic.asp?tid=677

Adrian

A brilliant programme and one to keep! I was proud to have known, through our WFA branch, two Norfolk veterans, Bill Nobbs MGC and Harry Ward, Royal Fusiliers both no longer with us.

It makes me wish I had asked my father more about his WW1 experiences, now I have only a few treasured mementos.

So moving. Several parts had me in tears - 'I wanted to die peacefully' - the door being shut in the scottish man's face - the prayer that was said before going 'over the top', 'help me to be a man' really got to me.

So brave, we must NEVER forget

I was absolutely glued to it, what a brilliant program.......cannot wait for next week's show. It had me in tears as well, very emotive stuff.

Aside from steel helmets at Loos .. c'mon Re-enecator typres get out of that one .... :P

I expect it's the usual reasons. The film crew shoot a load of non-specific footage, and back in the editing room they coo over it and say "we'll use this bit for Loos, this bit for the Somme, and use the rest for next year's documentary on Archangel".

Excellent programme despite the steel helmets and SBR's in the wrong places.

IIRC from the credits the military advisor was Taff Gillingham, don't mention the dreaded 're-enactor' word (!) but I am sure he would not be too happy about the helmet thing...

My obvious idiocy and inability to set ( or indeed work) the video recorder properly meant I got home from 2/10 last night to........nothing <_< .

Deflated doesn't come into it- I'll have to try and get the 2nd part and hope they do repeats sometime..... :ph34r:

Spike,

i made a copy on my video, its a bit grainy but if you wanted i would pop into the post for you if you cannot het hold of a copy locally.

Scottie.

You're allright Scottie, mate thanks for the offer.

To be honest, maybe I wasn't meant to see it last night. I'm sure it'll be repeated and give me a chance then, maybe I'll have remastered video recording by then :huh:

Thanks very much for the offer, again, but it would put you to a lot of trouble for what is at the bottom line , my incompetence. I'll put this one down to "experience".

Spike (technoprat) :rolleyes:

Daily Mail TV critic has a write up about this programme today and generally a favourable reaction to what I consider to be a very interesting subject.

His sign off line however made me think,

"But will they always be remembered"

Certainly will as far as I am concerned, hope future generations feel the same.

Bob.

Spike,

don't be too hard on yourself, the reason my copy is on a 'grainy video' is that I still have not mastered the control of our 'State of the Art' flashy/swishy DVD fingy that arrived in my front room last week, so had to video it on the portable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Scottie.

I wonder whether the BBC has any archived material of veterans talking from the years soon after WW1. We enjoy listening to these very old guys, but imagine a programme of interviews recorded soon after the war, with veterans in their 20s!

I hope the media are taking the opportunity now to record the veterans of all the subsequent conflicts. Including I**Q. Phil B

Phil,

There is a quite unique video available titled 'Forgotten Men' (maybe more info via a search on here). It was made in 1934, presented by Sir John Hammerton and includes many veterans talking with no less than Piper Laidlaw playing the pipes in a recreation of his VC winning action at Loos. One of the most remarkable Great War documentaries I have ever seen.

I received a prompt reply to my query re when this programme would be shown in Scotland, which is as follows:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the programme 'Last Tommy'.

BBC Scotland will be broadcasting the programme on 16/11/05 at 10.40pm

and

23/11/05 at 10.40pm.

Thanks again to Spike10764 for coming up with the correct BBC email address

Phil,

There is a quite unique video available titled 'Forgotten Men' (maybe more info via a search on here).  It was made in 1934, presented by Sir John Hammerton and includes many veterans talking with no less than Piper Laidlaw playing the pipes in a recreation of his VC winning action at Loos.  One of the most remarkable Great War documentaries I have ever seen.

Sounds great! How available? Phil B

Superb and very moving programme. Agree with all the quotes previously stated but what I found intensely moving was Arthur laying a wreath in the german cemetery, and how clear and honest his recital of The Exhortation. Standing upright at his age and without assistance,. I did find some of the re-enactment stuff a bit annoying but bearing in mind the programme is made for general public consumption I suppose it was necessary, but bit of a clanger with the steel helmets.

Patrick