Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Tommy

Sparky53

Harry Patch has said in his haunting delivery: “If any man tells you he went into the front line and he wasn’t scared – he’s a liar. You were scared from the moment you got there “.

Perhaps after watching this programme we might say: “If anyone watching this didn’t cry, then they are a liar”.

Listening to the first-hand testimony of these veterans is a moving experience, and brings me a little closer to understanding the trials and pain suffered by my Grandparents and their generation during the Great War and long after.

Will they be forgotten? Not by members of this forum, but elsewhere I truly wonder about the sometimes scant regard that is paid to WW2 veterans, let alone those of the Great War.

But there is one thing you can do, and that is to volunteer, and to urge your family and friends to do the same, spread the word and volunteer for the UKNIWM project …

Now the database has gone on-line, you will see the staggering number of memorials around the country that represent the outpouring of a Nation’s grief. So many that we can pass them by without a second thought. They are just there, part of the unchanging scenery, and we never ask just who those names where.

For those memorials that date from the Great War, if they are not already forgotten we are close to forgetting who they were. Find a memorial and pick a name, you might be lucky and easily discover them in the CWGC register and/or on the SDGW CD-ROM, but then again you might have to look a lot harder, a lot lot harder. But you will have made a start, and they will be remembered…

Folks

I wholeheartedly endorse all the favourable comments made about this programme, & really think this was a superb use of the licence fee.

What did get to me though was the fact that this was filmed about 2 years ago, & I do feel it could have been shown earlier, maybe last year when it was the 90th anniversary of the start of the war. Also, did anyone else notice that the narration seemed to be intended for a time when all these grand old gentlemen had passed away?

In 1998, when the BBC showed the excellent "Veterans", they had a small piece at the end showing those who had sadly passed on since the making of the programme, would it be too much to hope they will the same for this programme?

Also, I was rather confused by the statement that only 4 veterans survive, even if this statement was recorded within the past 12 months, prior to the discovery of the merchant seamen, there were at least double that number known & I understood that the latest figure is 9.

However, I think we should say "Well Done BBC!!!"

Cheers

Mark

I found it very sad after watching the program and looking on the BBC's website that some of them had since died, However looking at the fella in Oz had both me and my wife amazed at how active he was for his age same for Mr Anderson

Phil,

There is a quite unique video available titled 'Forgotten Men' (maybe more info via a search on here).  It was made in 1934, presented by Sir John Hammerton and includes many veterans talking with no less than Piper Laidlaw playing the pipes in a recreation of his VC winning action at Loos.  One of the most remarkable Great War documentaries I have ever seen.

I was just a little bit disappointed with this video in that there is not enough of the old soldiers talking. They are asked some questions by Sir John Hammerton and they answer quite stiffly. There is a lot of old footage that I hadn't seen before. However it is a unique record and the highlight for me is Piper Laidlaw playing again in full uniform the pipes. I got mine by bidding on eBay.

Back to last night's programme, I wonder where "Smiler" Marshall was, no doubt he'll appear in episode 2. A marvellous hour of television.

Well, I think I'm the dissenting voice here. I didn't enjoy the programme at all. It has been done before ina very similar way and whilst we can't expect the interviewees to say anything new, I felt that I almost knew what they were going to say - the same as they said the last time they were interviewed. I don't think the programme maker's approach to this project was any different to similar programmes made in recent years.

Visually, there was nothing wrong with the 'reconstructions' as the makers obviously had to appeal to the masses.

I have every respect for the men who served and who appeared in the first episode and if it raises awareness amongst the general public, then every credit, but for me it didn't live up to the billing.

I received a prompt reply to my query re when this programme would be shown in Scotland, which is as follows:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the programme 'Last Tommy'.

BBC Scotland will be broadcasting the programme on 16/11/05 at 10.40pm

and

23/11/05 at 10.40pm.

Thanks again to Spike10764 for coming up with the correct BBC email address

And thanks to you, for finding out the programme is repeated on 16th Nov- we can get BBC Scotland in Carlisle- so I'll be able to tape/ watch it then :D

I did not watch it in the expectation of any startling revelations or revising of history.

To me, the programme was about the veterans and not particularly about the war, allowing for the fact that they each had their own story to tell.

In many ways, it is a programme of record, to mark this time when such a small number remain, for people in the future to see when there will be none left alive.

I did not "enjoy" it, because it was not the purpose of the programme, but I was very moved and I am glad I watched it.

Hi Mark, :)

The difference in the numbers, is to do with the four who saw combat and the other five who didn't.

Can I also say how much I enjoyed it. I have seen these men interviewed many times before, and thought it maybe a bit samey but what a beautifully made programme it was !!!

Cheers

Tim.

I found it very sad after watching the program and looking on the BBC's website that some of them had since died, However looking at the fella in Oz had both me and my wife amazed at how active he was for his age same for Mr Anderson

Hi Davey,

How very true ! The chap in OZ made me feel very unfit with that spring in his step, but he is ONLY 62 years older than me !!!!!! :lol:

Cheers

Tim.

It was a very respectful tribute to these last few witnesses from the trenches, and to their generation. Yes the acting will win no prizes, but I enjoyed seeing something new, as opposed to yet another re-run of the same few bits of archive footage.

My one grouse was the background music. The theme from 'Schindler's List' was misplaced here, as its associations lie with a particular culture in another war. It is a piece that I find mawkish rather than eloquent. The last Tommies deserve the latter.

Exactly what I said in and earlier post... Izaac Perlman's violin is very haunting, but misplaced.

Now what would be a change but nigh on impossible, is to gather the remaining combattants from all sides and meet, very few but maybe a final act of remembrance for all who fought.

It has been done with individual soldiers in WW2 esp D-Day, but to gather them all up would be a coup...

John

Yes agree that the music choice was poor.

I think you watch the programme as a tribute rather than for revelations but I was shocked when in the middle of one of their stories , I suddenly thought to myself "That man fought on the Western Front".

And then there was Forum Pal Cynthia kissing Arthur ! :)

Fantastic programme. A real inspiration to us all, i look forward to next weeks programme.

Bill

My one grouse was the background music.

I find the trend of having loud background music most annoying when you are trying to listen to the commentary. The BBC is a particular culprit in this respect and it is something that has become prevalent in the past few years.

It was great to see and hear the veterans again. I, too, remember the BBC's Veterans programme of many years ago. Perhaps some new people will come to WW1 studies as a result of this new programme.

I would be interested to know what will have happened to all of the film taken but not used. There must have been many other stories, perhaps ones which did not suit the producer's purpose, which the veterans had to tell.

The music was indeed intrusive.

David

According to The Times there are 10 British WWI veterans still alive, one of whom lives in Australia. Five were in the army, & one in each of the RNAS, RFC, RN, RNR & Merchant Navy. It doesn't say which is the resident of Australia. I assume that the five quoted by some sources is soldiers only & that the nine quoted elsewhere excludes the Australian resident.

Greart War veterans honoured in style

The 10 are:

Henry Allingham, 109, Royal Naval Air Service

Alfred Anderson, 109, The Black Watch

George Rice, 108, Durham Light Infantry

Harry Patch, 107, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Harold Lawton, 106, Cheshire Regiment

Nicholas Swarbrick, 106, Merchant Navy

Bert Clark, 105, Northamptonshire Regiment

Kenneth Cummins, 105, Royal Naval Reserve

William Roberts, 105, Royal Flying Corps

Bill Stone, 105, Royal Navy

If you skip up to my link to the sun newspaper further up it has the 5 they say which includes the one in Australia. Which is not listed on your ten. William Young.

Kev.

If you skip up to my link to the sun newspaper further up it has the 5 they say which includes the one in Australia. Which is not listed on your ten. William Young.

Kev.

I did read your post & the link but didn't compare the two lists. I just assumed that the Sun's five men were the five soldiers from the Times' list. That's not, however, the case; apart from the absence of William Young (RFC) on the Times list, the Sun includes Henry Allingham of the RNAS. Looks like there are at least 11.

At least we now know that the Murdoch papers are indepedent of one another!

Just to update you all, Bert Clark died 21st Jan 2005 & George Rice died 17th Sept 2005

The 10 vet's still living in UK are

Henry Allingham, Alfred Anderton, Stephen Butcher, Ken Cummins, Harold Lawton, Harry Newcombe, Harry Patch, William Roberts, William Stone, Nicholas Swarbrick.

According to The Times there are 10 British WWI veterans still alive, one of whom lives in Australia. Five were in the army, & one in each of the RNAS, RFC, RN, RNR & Merchant Navy. It doesn't say which is the resident of Australia. I assume that the five quoted by some sources is soldiers only & that the nine quoted elsewhere excludes the Australian resident.

Greart War veterans honoured in style

The 10 are:

Henry Allingham, 109, Royal Naval Air Service

Alfred Anderson, 109, The Black Watch

George Rice, 108, Durham Light Infantry

Harry Patch, 107, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Harold Lawton, 106, Cheshire Regiment

Nicholas Swarbrick, 106, Merchant Navy

Bert Clark, 105, Northamptonshire Regiment

Kenneth Cummins, 105, Royal Naval Reserve

William Roberts, 105, Royal Flying Corps

Bill Stone, 105, Royal Navy

Guest Simon Bull
I've always suspected that this country has never really recovered from the trauma of the Great War, and the pain still evident in these men's stories reinforces that.

But their dignity and courage and humour was an inspiration to us all. We will be the poorer when they go.

There is a long running thread on WW1 veterans on the Victoria Cross forum and they reckon there are nine left currently (plus four poilus, and about the same number of Germans, and about 20 Americans including some who never made it abroad)

http://www.victoriacross.net/forum_topic.asp?tid=677

Adrian

There is a thread on Wikipedia listing surviving Great War veterans. There are quite a few left in Italy. Presumably this longevity of Italian veterans reflects the healthiness of the Mediterranean diet.

They may be remarkable people now - but back then they were ordinary blokes. What made this two-parter a landmark for me.

Just ordinary blokes - and I laughed with them as much as I wondered at their stoicism and spirit.

Say it again - if you want it done right ... BBC every time.

Big round of applause.