Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last Tommy

Sparky53

Oh, blast! I was hoping that was BBC SCotland's turn to broadcast - this COULD mean we're not getting EITHER part up here! I've emailed them to find out what's going to happen about us up north.

Marina

Marina

I am recording both episodes, I could burn you a DVD with both episodes on.

John

Evening ladies and gentlemen.

Currently drinking loads of coffee,and planning dinner for the time that it starts.

I reckon it is a good bet that this will be re-shown on either The History Channel,or BBC3/4,UK History Gold,plus one,watch it anytime you like,by pressing the red button,or Discovery.

An important document for the future,thats for sure.

Off for the Pro-Plus,and Red Bull,but just in case it doesn't keep me awake,has anybody got a DVD recorder?.

All the best.

Simon.

Aside from steel helmets at Loos .. c'mon Re-enecator typres get out of that one .... :P

Last Tommy - deeply moving. And funny, Don' dare suggest it wasn't .. those 'oul boys' knew the value of laughter.

Top marks BBC .. up there with the 'Dunkirk' progs. Licence fee spent well for a change.

Des

After having watched the programme all I can say is what an amazing collection of remarkable gentlemen. A well made programme, as always these days a bit too much 're-enacting' when more footage of the old boys would have been welcome but good stuff regardless.

Did you see fellow Pal, Cynthia (Mills), kissing Arthur Halestrap?

The episode was much talked about on the Forum and now we have all seen it for real.

Good programme.

Totally agree Des

Very very moving.

And Harry Patch - Television Star :)

Glyn

Last Tommy - deeply moving. And funny, Don' dare suggest it wasn't .. those 'oul boys' knew the value of laughter

so true what a great programe

very moving

Dave

Des,

Too right mate!

I've loved their humour. I set my video to tape it, but the tape chewed up after 3 minutes, so I'll have to wait for a re-run on BBC3 or 4.

Roll on next week - Kleenex at the ready!

Les.

Words can't adequately describe my feelings about this programme....wonderful, but heartbreaking are about all I can manage.

I wonder what the viewing figures will be?

All The Best

Chris

Good programme, poignant and moving.

Andy

Words can't adequately describe my feelings about this programme....wonderful, but heartbreaking are about all I can manage.

Couldn't agree more you found the words that failed me!

Keith

Harry Patch's description of his shrapnel wounded comrade "passing beyond".

The pain of his retelling of the moment sums up why none of the survivors spoke much of their experiences.

Lump in the throat time...

Steve.

Last Tommy - deeply moving. And funny, Don' dare suggest it wasn't .. those 'oul boys' knew the value of laughter.

Des

Spot on Des. I am not afraid to admit that a few tears were shed in our house (by me) tonight.

Stephen

Spot on Des. I am not afraid to admit that a few tears were shed in our house (by me) tonight.

Stephen

Just a few you should have been in this house!

Keith

Agree with all so far, but (carp, carp) agree with Gilles - why do the programme makers think we're so thick that we need a re-enactment of someone climbing over a wall to add verisimilitude? More reality, less pretend, please.

But what men!

Now I know why I research my local war memorials....

Raising a glass to them all...

Even my son was engrossed and that's saying something

Just wish the haunting violin music hadnt been used on Schindler's list before...

John

Agree with all so far, but (carp, carp) agree with Gilles - why do the programme makers think we're so thick that we need a re-enactment of someone climbing over a wall to add verisimilitude? More reality, less pretend, please.

For once that didnt jump out and grab me, it fitted in well

John

A group of simply fantastic men.

they had respect and humour

I couldn't help but admire their courage at telling stories they may have tried to forget.

I look forward to part two on 15th

Wonderful troopers.

They are just so brave to be able to talk about it; it must be so painful especially as they are probably trying to forget the horrors......

Poor Harry with the flashing cupboard light. And Arthur - dapper as ever (I did notice the kiss too). Sad for the Scottish chap who had the door shut in his face. And the one that went to Australia - he puts MY exercise regime to shame.

Wonderful programme - but would have liked to hear even more from the "Tommies".(and a little less of the re-enactment) although the "actual" film was interesting. Top programme non the less. Unmissable.

I have just realised I was at the Menin Gate on 11 Nov 2003 when Arthur Halestrop was filmed there - all the more poignant for me.

All the Best

Chris

A great tribute to the guys and , yes, the dramatisations were a bit wooden but what the hell.

Indeed Terry, when Cynthia hove into view kissing Arthur, I must confess I whooped a bit - I must claim some credit for encouraging Cynthia to get over being star-struck and push herself to the front to see Arthur at Talbot House. I have emailed her and she will see the programme at Christmas when she comes over.

Will she ever be a swell head now !

The trauma was still there even after all these years.

I wanted to die peacefully but you raked it all up said Mr Anderson...

John