Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jim Strawbridge

wanted - photos nationwide

Kenny.bell

Hello Jim

Any update regarding Jeanie E. McClymont at Dunblane?

The last we talked, you said

"The CWGC has accepted her for commemoration in July 2016. She is in a multiple family grave (you took the photograph) and I thought that I would just keep her on the list in case she gets her own CWGC headstone. I know that this can take several years."

Best regards

Kenny

PS probably easier to get me via Facebook

Jim Strawbridge
On 04/10/2018 at 11:09, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

Any update regarding Jeanie E. McClymont at Dunblane?

The last we talked, you said

"The CWGC has accepted her for commemoration in July 2016. She is in a multiple family grave (you took the photograph) and I thought that I would just keep her on the list in case she gets her own CWGC headstone. I know that this can take several years."

Best regards

Kenny

PS probably easier to get me via Facebook

On reflection, although she is now commemorated by the CWGC :-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75452894/mcclymont,-jeanie-e./

I don't think that she will have a CWGC headstone. If a grave marker exists, as this one does, it is normally the case that the CWGC will not add another one.

bostonwayne

That's not right Jim. I have seen plenty of family graves with CWGC headstone later. Here is an example although the CWGC stone has fallen over

20180926_115443.jpg

Jim Strawbridge

Boston Wayne. Mine was a general observation. I, too, have seen similar to what you have posted, but from the majority of WW1 graves that I have visited a CWGC headstone is not added where a perfectly adequate grave marker exists.

DavidOwen

Might it have been the case where a CWGC headstone already existed and the family added a private memorial?

Jim Strawbridge

It could happen although looking at the image above it seems likely that the original marker and kerbing is earlier than the CWGC marker. I recall seeing a grave in Dorset where the family headstone is in the normal place and the CWGC headstone at the foot. Incidently, before someone else mentions it, I recall visiting a graveyard in Oxfordshire (a Quaker one, I think) where the grave markers are traditionally placed at the foot rather than the head of the grave. It was as well that the person showing me the grave mentioned this as otherwise I would have photographed the marker together with a grassy plot of land.

kevinf2349

Hello everyone.

I am pretty sure that Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD was NOT the munitions worker identified in a previous post or two. I have a copy of her death certificate and she is listed as a 'Slag Works Labourer'. She was apparently knocked over and killed by a locomotive on the Eston Branch Railway on 27th November 1917.

Best regards

Kevin

AFHollinsheadDC.jpg

Edited by kevinf2349

Jim Strawbridge

Kevin, welcome to the forum. Definitely the same one. I have come across similar circumstances before. At the time, women working in normally recognised men's occupations were classed as munition workers. I am not sure if this was a Government requirement to lump them all in together for statistical purposes but it was certainly the case.

kevinf2349

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the welcome. I am still a little confused but that is normal for me. Munition worker or slag works worker? Either one would make sense given where she lived. The slag works would be closer to her home but so was the railway station so she may have worked anywhere. The local paper even has her name incorrect.

Regards

Kevin