Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

9 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Jim

I occasionally visit a well known farm shop (Uncle Henry's) which is in Kirton in Lindsey, if you can let me know the details for there and for Blyton (which is not too far from there) I shall see what I can do for you.

Not sure when the next trip will be though (hopefully not too long the sausages are fantastic!)

Regards

David

Nothing like a good sausage. Now you have an excuse. My requirement for Kirton in Lindsay is for a photograph of the grave of Etta Grace HARRIS, who is said to be buried in St. Andrew's churchyard. She was buried on the 19th December, aged 28. It is believed that her husband, Alfred, was buried in the same grave. In 2008, the inscription on the grave was said to read "In memory of Etta Grace Harris who passed away 16th December 1914 aged 28 (killed in German shelling of Hartlepool). Victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Also in Memory of Rev. A.B. Harris, Baptist Minister here 1902 - 1916 who entered into life 19th August 1928 aged 71 years. Life for evermore". However someone, looking for the grave in 2012, found a marker just stating "Also to the Memory of Rev. A.B. Harris, etc" which implies that there may have been a second marker, originally in the name of Etta, that has been lost or that the top of the memorial has been broken off. If this is the case then a photo of Alfred's grave will do on the assumption that Etta is with him. Also required is a photograph of a memorial in the church that bears the same description - or, indeed, anything in the church relating to Etta as it seems that her husband was the local incumbent.    As for Blyton, I am looking for a scroll in the church that records the name of Dorothy Lucy Howell. This may just be a framed scroll listing the names that are on the Blyton War Memorial. Dorothy is on that, too, but I already have that. If there is more than one church in the village I am sorry but I don't have specific details. Probably a village with just the one church.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:57, Jim Strawbridge said:

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Halifax, Horsforth, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

Hi Jim,

If you pass me details of the one in Burley in Wharfedale will get next time I am passing. 

Edward

Edward, Thank you. I am after a photograph of the grave of Joanna Elizabeth Hopper-Greenwood who died 11th April 1921. She was a QAIMNS nurse. She is not commemorated by the CWGC so hopefully a private headstone. I hope that Burley in Wharfdale is small enough to have just the one cemetery.

Is someone still trying to locate Dorothy Crowther's grave? This was the 16 year old that was killed in the munitions factory in Acton. Her grave is number A/c 60 at Acton Cemetry. She is buried with Rosina Crowther, her mother Sophia Fox and step father Alfred George Fox. I haven't got a photo of the grave but have found the grave register on Ancestry. Dorothy was my great grandfather's sister.  

Nikki, I was looking for it and had traced her to Willesden New Cemetery. My photographer searched the cemetery without success. I do not know if this is the same as Acton Cemetery. But you have now been able to provide a plot number which is most helpful. If you weren't aware of it there is a pastel drawing in the Imperial War Museum of Dorothy's funeral procession. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Jim

Photos from Kirton in Lindsey as requested.

Sorry can't add any more re Blyton but can confirm no grave found for Dorothy Howlett.

Hope this helps

David

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0959.JPG

• Admin

Jim

I believe Willoughby is on your Lincolnshire list still?

Not too far from Alford which is not far from one of our regular garden centre haunts so if you could send me your requirements?

Best wishes

David

21 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

I believe Willoughby is on your Lincolnshire list still?

Not too far from Alford which is not far from one of our regular garden centre haunts so if you could send me your requirements?

My requirement is for a photograph of the grave of Harriet Sales, Voluntary Aid Detachment who died in March 1921 and was buried on the 11th March 1921 ib St. Helena cemetery, Willoughby, Lincolnshire. She was aged 60.

Jim - I might be able to do Brookwood, Surrey on Monday. Please send details.

Acknown

• 2 weeks later...

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Wokingham

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter

CARNARVON, Portmadoc

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge

CLWYD, Gwersyllt

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Pelton, Willington

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings

GWENT, Ebww Vale

GWYNEDD, Bangor
HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Hawkinge, Margate, Rochester, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Eccles, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Turton, Tyldesley, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Downham Market

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland
SURREY, Betchworth, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Chiddingfold, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Witley
SUSSEX, Arlington, Horsham
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, Galt, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Superior)

ON - Cardiganshire (Llandfre 6/18, Penmorfa 9/17), Cumbria (Winster), Devonshire (Dawlish 7/18, St. Budeaux 11/17, Withycombe 11/17), Co. Durham (Jarrow, Willington 2/18), Huntingdonshire (Brampton 9/17), Kent (Dover 10/17, Hawkinge 7/18, Rochester 9/17, Sidcup 7/18,), Lancashire (Turton 7/18), Norfolk (Downham Market 11/17), Northamptonshire (Deene 12/17), Powys (Llanllwchaiarn 6/18), Surrey (Esher 1/18, Farnham, 9/17, Walton on Thames), Yorkshire (Burley in Wharfdale, Darton 11/17, Halifax 12/17, Horsforth 9/17, Ingleton 2/18, Kingston upon Hull 7/18, Leeds 11/17, Sandal 12/17), Canada (Ontario, Galt, 6/18), Ireland (Co. Cork, Kinsale 4/18)

OFF - Anglesey (Maeshyfryd 4/18), Berkshire (Sulham St. Nicholas 1/18), Derbyshire (Winster 4/18), Glamorganshire (Llandaff 3/18), Gloucestershire (Badgeworth 1/18, Oldbury on Severn 1/18), Gwynedd (New Quay 6/18), Hampshire (Curdridge 12/17, Hollybrook Memorial 12/17, Portsmouth 7/18), Lancashire (Walkden 3/18), Lincolnshire (Kirton in Lindsay 2/18), London (Acton 2/18), Staffordshire (Lichfield 2/18), Suffolk (Ipswich 4/18), Surrey (Walton on the Hill), Yorkshire (Darton 12/17, Hartlepool 12/17, Kirkburton 12/17, Sandal 1/18, Scarborough 7/18, Wakefield 12/17), West Virginia (Clarksburg) 6/18

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Hello Anita, Thank you for coming forward. I am looking to get a photograph of the grave marker to Harriet Hall Golding, a VAD who died on the 27th April 1920 and is buried in All Saint's churchyard, Wokingham. Unfortunately I do not have a plot reference. Someone found a listing of occupiers of graves in the cemetery but could not find that for Harriet so her grave may have been unmarked. I have yet to contact the local authorities to see if they can help. The church or council normally have a listing.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim

Pass me the details of the grave at Willington in County Durham and I will obtain photographs.

Regards

John

19 hours ago, Hett65 said:

Jim

Pass me the details of the grave at Willington in County Durham and I will obtain photographs.

Regards

John

Thank you, John. The photograph that I require is of the grave of Maria Christiana Scratcher. She was a munition worker who died in an accident in December 1917 aged 17. She is said to be buried  under a heart-shaped headstone in Willington cemetery, Co. Durham.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim - what are your needs from Maeshyfryd, Holyhead?

On 4/15/2018 at 19:31, brhillier said:

Jim - what are your needs from Maeshyfryd, Holyhead?

Error on my part. I seem to be complete for Maeshyfryd. Sorry.

• 5 weeks later...

With the summer coming it seems to be a good time to provide my updated list of photograph requirements.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Wokingham

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, Llandre, New Quay

CARNARVON, Portmadoc

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge

CLWYD, Gwersyllt

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Pelton

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, , Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Portsmouth, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Bexley, Crayford, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Margate, Rochester, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Eccles, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Tyldesley, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Downham Market

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland
SURREY, Betchworth, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Chiddingfold, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-the-Hill, Witley
SUSSEX, Arlington, Horsham
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

ON - Cardiganshire (Penmorfa 9/17), Cumbria (Winster), Devonshire (St. Budeaux 11/17), Withycombe 11/17), Co. Durham (Jarrow, Willington 2/18), Huntingdonshire (Brampton 9/17), Kent (Bexley 6/18, Dover 10/17, Rochester 9/17), Norfolk (Downham Market 11/17), Northamptonshire (Deene 12/17), Surrey (Cobham 5/18),  (Esher 1/18, Farnham, 9/17), Yorkshire (Burley in Wharfdale, Darton 11/17, Halifax 12/17, Horsforth 9/17, Ingleton 2/18, Leeds 11/17, Sandal 12/17), Ireland (Co. Cork, Kinsale 4/18)

OFF - Anglesey (Maeshyfryd 4/18), Berkshire (Sulham St. Nicholas 1/18), Derbyshire (Winster 4/18), Durham (Willington 5/18), Glamorganshire (Llandaff 3/18), Gloucestershire (Badgeworth 1/18), Oldbury on Severn 1/18), Hampshire (Curdridge 12/17, Hollybrook Memorial 12/17), Lancashire (Walkden 3/18), Lincolnshire (Kirton in Lindsay 2/18), London (Acton 2/18), Staffordshire (Lichfield 2/18), Suffolk (Ipswich 4/18), Yorkshire (Darton 12/17, Hartlepool 12/17, Kirkburton 12/17, Sandal 1/18, Wakefield 12/17), France (Pys, 6/18), U.S.A. (Texas, El Campo 5/18)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim, pm me your needs for Pys, Ecrouves. back over in June may be able to get there.

5 hours ago, PJS said:

Jim,

What photos do you need from El Campo,Texas?

Peter

Peter, I require a photograph of the grave of Dorothy E. Gustavson who is buried in plot 112-2, Garden of Memories, El Campo, Wharton County, Texas. She was a student army nurse who died 27th February 1919. She has a photograph on Find A Grave but I have not received a reply to my request to use it. If the cemetery is in striking distance from you I would be most grateful, Regards, Jim

4 hours ago, chaz said:

Jim, pm me your needs for Pys, Ecrouves. back over in June may be able to get there.

Thank you for coming forward. An unusual one, this. There were seven graves under CWGC care in Rocquigny-Equancourt British Cemetery re civilian graves of the period April 1917 to November 1918. The body of Mde Levetez was exhumed (presumably by the family) and reburied in a family owned and managed plot in Pys Communal Cemetery.  I would like to have a photograph of her grave and grave marker. I am sorry that I cannot give you much more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

Below are some photos of the grave of Dorothy E. Gustafson. Student Nurse, Army Nurse Corps. Died February 27, 1919 @ the Base Hospital (USABH) at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio Texas 78234. Buried March, 1919 @ Garden of Memories, El Campo, Texas 77437. I have emailed you the high resolution images. You can strike El Campo, Texas off your list!

Peter

Dorothy-Gustafson.PNG.b2fc84132a2b2e03ba7841c918247ea5.PNG

Dorothy-Gustafson-II.PNG.68a3957c70f4c382da9103b2a62e6f20.PNG

1635409567_GoodV.JPG.165665ed26c732a90d800f874e83f612.JPG

GoM.PNG.ae9f899c1d68354abf9334d66991334c.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Re GWYNEDD, Bangor, New Quay

Who do you have at Bangor?

No New Quay in Gwynedd that I can bring to mind. Possibly fon the coast south of Aberystwyth?