Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Roy Evans

South Staffordshire Regt War Diaries

GraemeClarke

Hi

Would have been better starting a new thread but nevermind.

If you want the full War Diary (from 1916) it is downloadable here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Result?_q=WO%2095%2F1816

His Medal Index Card indicates service in Gallipoli from 21 July 1915 and that he 'died of wounds', ie wounded and died/missing same day

On Tuesday 26 September 1916 his battalion was in action near to Thiepval, clearing the enemy from Midway Line and repelling bombing attacks at Hessian Trench. The following day at 2am and 11am battalion bombers advanced eastwards along the Zollern Trench, which ran from Thiepval village towards Courcelette, pushing the enemy before them.

The War Diary (in part) records,

“27 September 1916 - 2am. Captain Hutchinson reported finding the S.F’s in a very precarious position at point 10 and made the following dispositions. Reinforced Hessian by 2 platoons and set his remaining 2 platoons to consolidate upper part of Midway from 86 to 10 and started bombing from 10 to 92 and 86 to 91. These bombers never obtained the objective owing to lack of bombs although bombing party from 10 to 92 reached 91 but could not maintain their position. A second attempt made at 11am but likewise failed through lack of material but the posts originally put out were held and all hostile attacks driven off.

At 11.50am information was received that the 34th Brigade were in Zollern Trench West. Orders were at once sent for 2 platoons at 86 to effect a junction with the 34th Brigade. This was successfully accomplished. At 1.50pm news reached Battalion H.Q. that the 32nd was to attack points R.21.d.99. and Staff Redoubt to point R.20.d.91. and that the 6th Border Regiment would attack Hessian Trench and that the barrage would start at 3pm. This necessitated the immediate withdrawal of our platoons in Upper Midway which remained in support on the Border right flank and helped to consolidate the position when won together with the platoons already in Hessian.”

Regards,

Graeme

Guest Trywellis

Hello all, very new to all this, trying to find some information on my great uncle Sydney Richardson

Private 42462 1/6 south staffordshire regiment. I know he died at La Cateau 7th december 1918

in the 41 casualty clearing unit of gastro enteritis, and is buried at the cemetary at La Cateau.

I was wondering about his battalion movements before that. I am hoping to go to france to plant flowers on his grave and see where he fought. Any information would be great, thanks again!

Rob

Whipika

Would anyone have any info on the 9th South staffs? I read that the diary is 2 x folders think and that a web page maybe made listing the entires?

GraemeClarke

Morning,

Welcome to the Forum,

What date are you looking for, the diaries are here  up to 31 October 1917

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353242

From 1 November onwards they have not been digitised.

Copies are held at the Staffs Museum near Lichfield but I do not know what their current situation is with regard to seeing them. They used to be fine but I think things have changed for the worse.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Whipika

Hi Graeme

Thank you for the reply. 

My great Uncle’s details are bellow. He was sent to France with the 9th South Staffs. on 24/8/1915. I would be interested in any info from then really or anything which lists my uncle. Many thanks for your help. 

Details

Albert Edward Nicholls

Private then acting corporal

Are there any other details which you would need?

Whipika
12 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Morning,

Welcome to the Forum,

What date are you looking for, the diaries are here  up to 31 October 1917

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353242

From 1 November onwards they have not been digitised.

Copies are held at the Staffs Museum near Lichfield but I do not know what their current situation is with regard to seeing them. They used to be fine but I think things have changed for the worse.

Regards,

Graeme

I take it that the attached screen shot shows him in the 9th South Staffs?

24DC1A93-F1B8-45EC-A03B-48FA62260C0A.jpeg

GraemeClarke

Hi

Cannot help you much more, I'm afraid.

At least the one diary will take you up to November 1917, after that they served in Italy.

I would suggest you start a new thread in Soldiers and ask about him. Only people interested in SSR will look at this thread.

Regards,

Graeme

LittleWarrior

Hello

My great Grandfather Lance Corporal Robert Whelan, Reg number 45272 was reported missing 11.4.1918 from France and later reported a POW at Stendal.

I know he was in B Company, but not which Battalion.

Any help with information or advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards from Australia.

Pauljacz123

Hi, I am trying to find any information on 27953  Private  Austin Hughes  South Staffordshire Regiment 1914-1919 

Any info appreciated. 

Paul Hathaway

Hello

I’m looking for help piecing together information on my grandfather

Private George Hathaway - South Staffs 1/5th - A Company

Service number 201384

I remember my dad telling me that his dad (George) was wounded at Vimy Ridge - shot through the face - but he survived the war, passing away peacefully in 1961 - I just about remember him - I was 4 when he died.

My research so far leads me to believe that he was actually involved in the Battle of Hill 70 - (close to Vimy Ridge) in August 1917 - does anyone have records of where the unit was on August 22 1917 ?

I believe he was in treatment for 9 days and spent time at No. 6 convalescent depot.

Any info/diary entries greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Paul Hathaway