Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regt War Diaries

Roy Evans

Hello Roy,

I have just started a new topic on this, but have then just found your kind offer.

Could you please let me have the the 7th Battalion diary entry for 20.12.1917. The man in question, to which I have just been lucky enough to purchase his pair along with his brothers is,

39689 Pte. Thomas William Frost of Leicester.

Regards. Llew.

Hello Roy,

I have just started a new topic on this, but have then just found your kind offer.

Could you please let me have the the 7th Battalion diary entry for 20.12.1917. The man in question, to which I have just been lucky enough to purchase his pair along with his brothers is,

39689 Pte. Thomas William Frost of Leicester.

Regards. Llew.

7th BATTALION SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT

WAR DIARY

DEC 1917 FRONT LINE.

1st The Battalion was relieved in Front Line by 9th SHERWOOD FORESTERS on night of 1st/2nd December and moved back to Divisional reserve at LES BREBIS. Details of move shown in move Orders as Appendix “A”.

Battalion Strength: Officers 21 Other Ranks 510

Trench Strength: Officers 15 Other Ranks 434.

LES BREBIS.

2nd – 6th The Battalion carried out training such as Bayonet Fighting, Musketry and P.T. from 9 to 1p.m. daily under Company Commanders during the period in Reserve. Lectures on various subjects were given by the Commanding Officer.

Officers and N.C.O.s Lecture by Lt. Col. W.H. CARTER, D.S.O. M.C. Subject “War Saving Certificates” at 2p.m. 4.12.17.

(Added by Transcriber: - per Soldiers Died in the Great War)

DEATHS:

40204 Pte. MEESON B. Recorded on SDGW as “Died of Wounds”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

NB CWGC records date of death as 5th Dec, SDGW as 9th Dec. In War Diary of 10th Dec and this suggests that SDGW may be correct in this instance as gas was used on 9th December.

7th The Battalion received orders from 33rd Brigade to relieve 9th SHERWOOD FORESTERS in the line on night of 7th/8th. This move was carried out as shown in move order Appendix “B”. The relief was carried out without incident.

8th Work in trenches consisted mainly of wiring parties and repairing trenches. Hostile Trench Mortar busy during the day. An organised strafe by 4.5in howitzers and 6in howitzers on the night of the 8th on two groups of hostile Trench Mortars.

Casualties.

Wounded.

19912 Pte. POOLE J.

10354 Pte. MOUNTNEY E.

Battalion Strength: Officers 24 Other Ranks 483

Trench Strength: Officers 18 Other Ranks 407.

FRONT LINE.

9th Hostile shelling during the day on Front and Support Lines, and Forward Communication Trenches. Hostile Trench Mortars busy on our Front Line during the day, at times using Gas Bombs in these bursts.

Casualties.

Wounded.

10630 Pte. KITSON W. (but remained at duty)

10th Usual work carried on in trenches, wiring parties and repair. Owing to re-organisation of Brigade Front, the Battalion received orders from 33rd brigade that relief by the 9th SHERWOOD FORESTERS would take place on night 10th/11th, the Battalion to proceed to Support Area CITE ST. PIERRE. Detail of the relief attached as Appendix “C”. The relief was completed at 7.58p.m. and was carried out without incident.

Casualties.

Killed.

17444 Pte. FELLOWS G. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

Wounded. (Gassed, Afterwards reported Died from Gas Poisoning)

40204 Pte. MEESON B. Recorded on SDGW as “Died of Wounds”; Buried Loos British Cemetery. See 5th Dec.

Wounded.

38064 Pte. RICHARDS W.J.

10100 Sgt. CHARD J.

30857 Pte. HOWARD F. (Gassed)

During the tour of the Battalion in the line, the enemy appear to have used Gas from projectors but only on a small scale.

App. “C”.

CITE ST. PIERRE.

11th The C.O. and Company Commanders reconnoitred Right Sub-Sector of Brigade Front during the morning, Platoon Commanders and N.C.O.s carried out this duty in the afternoon. The whole of the Battalion was employed during the night in wiring Left Sub-Sector and repairing trenches in same Sub-Sector.

12th With the exception of a fatigue party of 1 Officer and 50 other ranks who were on fatigue during the morning, the whole of the Battalion was working in Left Sub-Sector during the night.

13th The Battalion was ordered to relieve the 6th border Regiment in the Right sub-sector on the night 13th/14th. This relief was carried out without incident and was completed at 8.15a.m. There was no wire in front of the sector and the Battalion was ordered to try and complete the front with wire as the Division was expected to move shortly from the area. Battalion H.Q. was established at LENS HOSPITAL. Detail of relief as shewn in attached Appendix “D”.

Casualties.

Killed.

45450 Pte. SAUNDERS A.H.F. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

App. “D”.

FRONT LINE.

14th The day was quiet of the whole, during the night the whole of the available men were employed wiring the front, a few casualties occurred by shellfire and Trench Mortars in the wiring party.

Casualties.

Killed.

17684 L/Cpl. FISHER J. D.C.M. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

24195 Pte. PARRISH G. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

45065 Pte. HODSON G.W. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

17803 Pte. SUTTON T. M.M. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

37033 Pte. PITT J. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

Wounded.

40512 Pte. SCOTTON J. Transcriber’s Note: Died of Wounds on 16th December.

17862 Pte. RICHARDS J.

30781 Pte. HADLEY F.

40112 Pte. CHADD T.

40191 Pte. WELLINGS H.

15th Nothing of note occurred during the day.

Casualties.

Wounded.

40616 Pte. MORECOMBE R.

39823 Pte. McILLMURRAY B.

19364 Pte. HARVEY T.

Battalion Strength: Officers 22 Other Ranks 446

Trench Strength: Officers 16 Other Ranks 370.

16th Nothing of note to record, all available men employed on wiring all night. Inter-Company relief took place, details as shewn in attached Appendix “E”.

Casualties.

Killed.

10492 Pte. DEAN E. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

37785 Pte. BRANT S.T. Recorded on

SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

Wounded.

24432 Pte. PARKER W.

45107 Pte. SHILLCOCK A.

41015 Pte. MEADOWCROFT W.

15097 Pte. COPE S.

19096 Pte. PAGETT J. (Wounded, but remained at duty).

25401 Pte. KEMP A.

(Added by Transcriber: - per Soldiers Died in the Great War)

DEATHS:

40512 Pte. SCROTTON J. Recorded on SDGW as “Died of Wounds”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

War Diary entry of December 14th shows Pte J. SCROTTON being Wounded.

(Added by Transcriber)

Privates Pitt, Parrish, Saunders, Sutton M.M., Fisher D.C.M., Hodson, Scrotton, Brant and Dean who died between the 13th and 16th December are all buried side-by-side In Loos British Cemetery.

App. “E”.

17th

- 18th

- 19th Nothing of particular interest occurred. Wiring parties worked each night, and patrol work.

Casualties during the three days: - Nil.

20th Inter-Company relief took place and was carried out without incident. Details of move shewn in attached Appendix F.

Transcriber’s Note:

All of the 4 men reported in the War Diary of 21st December as being “Killed in Action”, are recorded on CWGC and SDGW as being “Killed in Action” on 20th December.

21st No incident.

Casualties.

Killed.

16656 Sgt. YATES T. M.M. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

41025 Pte. ROWLING L. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

37768 Pte. NORTON A. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

39689 Pte. FROST T.M. Recorded on SDGW as “Killed in Action”; Buried Loos British Cemetery.

Wounded.

203901 Pte. PARNHAM W.H.

• 6 months later...

QUOTE (RoyEvans @ Oct 8 2005, 08:07 AM) I've just aquired the War Diary of 9th (Pioneer) Batt'n South Staffords and now have the following;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th, and 9th Battalions.

Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

Hello Roy !

I'm trying to find details about 2 possible relatives. The first is L/Cpl John James Spittle , 1st/5th , killed on 01/07/16, and Private Charles Spittle, 1st Bttn , killed on 28/03/17. Any info' would be much appreciated.

Hi Roy, I have an ancestor, William Middleton, 9th South Staffs who died 29 March 1919. He is buried at Harehills cemetery in Leeds. I would be interested to know in the timeline of the 9th during WW1 as I know nothing at all about their movements. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike.

Hi Roy, I have an ancestor, William Middleton, 9th South Staffs who died 29 March 1919. He is buried at Harehills cemetery in Leeds. I would be interested to know in the timeline of the 9th during WW1 as I know nothing at all about their movements. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike.

Of all the South Staffs war diaries, that of the 9th Battalion is far and away the largest, filling two A4 lever-arch files. I have transcribed most of the diaries for my upcoming website but have yet to do the 9th. and so do not yet have an over-view of their involvement other than that they were a Pioneer battalion. I’ll be more than happy to provide details for specific dates but regret that unfortunately I can do no more at this stage.

Roy

• 7 months later...

Hi Roy, I wonder if you would be so kind to perform a look up for me in the unit war diaries (9th Btn Sth Staffs) for the above during the period of Oct and Nov 1918 when the unit was in Italy? My interest is in my great grand uncle, Pte William Middleton. I would like to know where exactly they were and what they were doing in this time period. Pte Middleton was wounded and brought back to the UK where he died. Regards Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the war diary for the the 7th South Staffs on June 7-8, 1917 during the Battle of Messines. I am researching my great grand-uncle William Wall, Regt. Num. 32719, KIA June 8, 1917, formerly of Notts & Derby, number 52329.

I am looking for any info at all as his service records are destroyed. The only info I have is from the CWGC and his medal card.

Thank you

• 7 months later...

I have a plaque and pair to AA Smith 7th Bn S Staffs KIA 09/03/18 When I purchased the group it had the war diary extract listing him as killed after a trench raid and retaliatory mortar bombardment. The Trench raid lasted a matter of minutes and was led by a Lt Stocking unfortunately I have lost the Diary extract and was wondering if anyone has the diary detail of this trench raid.

Sorry, new to this forum so if I'm posting in the wrong place ... please forgive me and point me to the right place.

I'm trying to find sources of info on my grandfather, 1444 Pte Thomas William Lawrence (number from his medal card) and 1/5 S Staffs RE (from his service card at the Gloucesters to where he was transferred at some point during the war). I know from his police service record he served 3 yrs & 9 months in the army during WW1. It also confirms what we know from verbal evidence that he was shot through the mouth (I remember seeing the exit wound on the back of his neck - yes I was about "that" much from never existing!). We also heard that, after being shot, he was nearly shot again by his own side for leaving the action ... with a mouth full of blood and teeth he couldn't tell them ... but that might have been an embellishment of the tale (family hearsay - I don't remember him ever talking about the war).

Anyway, I digress. Does anyone know why he might have transferred to the Glosters? Would he have been reassigned after he recovered in hospital in Eastbourne from his wounds? Or was he part of a company that lost so many they were reassigned?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide about Tom Lawrence.

• 4 weeks later...

Jon, in reply to an old post I have come across; I have a hard copy picture of him, happy to photocopy and send. It is of his face and cap in uniform. I also have a copy of his medal index card with his name on it and his handwriting. I have visited his grave in LOOS and been in the local paper researching his past. ( I would like to buy Glenthorne House where he used to live!) I live on the same village.

E-mail me on luckydarren9@aol.com to arrange a postage address.

Regards

Darren

Jon, in reply to an old post I have come across; I have a hard copy picture of him, happy to photocopy and send. It is of his face and cap in uniform.

E-mail me on luckydarren9@aol.com to arrange a postage address

Regards

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

Roy,

Could you look up the South Staffs1/5th diary for the 25,26 and 27th Sep 17. I am trying to piece together their movements.

Regards

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy,

I'm hoping you maybe able to offer some advice or at least confirm that I've run out of resources to investigate any further.

I've found lots of fantastic information on my Great Great Uncle Zechariah Tolley's war service with the 4th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment mainly with help from this forum. The only information I'm unable to confirm is roughly when Zech' was wounded which would be the icing on the cake.

The information I have collected so far:

Zechariah was awarded the MM (London Gazzette 27th June 1918) sometime during 21st-24th March 1918 (Battalion runner, someone kindly posted on this forum the extract from the history 25th Division).

Another relative of Zechariah emailed me a copy of a letter sent to him during his stay in hospital:

4th So. Staffords
B. E. F.
France

20 - 10 - 18
Dear Tolley,

Pleased to receive your letter and know that you are getting on quite well. I happen to be on a course at present and that is the reason I have not received your letter sooner.

Lo ! I am afraid that poor Adams was taken prisoner when we had to leave the trenches just before you were hit. I never saw him at all but guess he must have been wounded. One of the fellows here tells me that he was reported prisoner of war . I hope he is alright. You might want to find me his home address.

You will perhaps be pleased to know that I am now a Captain and have managed to get a Military Cross.

I am enclosing £1 for a few cigarettes.

Dont be in a hurry to come out at present, the Battn. is not being made up just yet.

Very best wishes,

H. Mason

I hope you won't need my home address, all the same it is -
4 Alexandra Rd.,
Burton on Trent,
Staffs.

I've purchased and downloaded the 4th Btns war diaries but I'm having a terrible job attempting to decipher it. Interestingly I did find a reference to 2 Lt O.H. Mason:

7th April:

2nd Lt O H Mason has taken command of C Coy

10th April:

C Coy was wiped out in the front line due to heavy artillery barrage.

I'm thinking that Zechariah was most likely wounded on the 10th when leaving the trenches.

I've been unable to find out any information on the Adams mentioned in the letter who was wounded and possibly taken prisoner. One of the other soldiers who were awarded the MM at the same time was a Pt Adams. I've been unable to find any record of this O.H. Mason MC or indeed a MIC.

My question is any ideas if we can confirm when my relative was wounded given this information because I don't believe I've been able to get the most information from the war diary.

Any ideas Roy?

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Adrian

• 4 months later...

Hi there Roy,

Could you look up the war diary for 2nd Battalion, South Staffs on and just before 4th March, 1917. My great great uncle died on the 4th, and I am trying to pin down why. I know that he is not mentioned directly being as he was a private. I am wondering if he was injured on 17th February at the fighting at Baillescourt Farm, near Miraumont, in which the battalion took around 100 casualties (and possibly died of wounds or illness later at a CCS in Contay, where he is buried). I think the battalion was in reserve from 18th Feb until early March (taken from the 2nd Divisional history), and so am not sure what other opportunity he had to be under fire. Maybe I am just showing my inexperience in this research.

Hoping that you might be able to shed light. His name: Private Alfred Robottom, 30195 2nd S. Staffs, of Smethwick.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Antony

I now have a full set of War Diaries for the South Staffordshire Regt. WW1.

Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

Hi Anthony,

I'm rather busy this evening but will have a look tomorrow.

Roy

That's absolutely no problem, thanks in anticipation.

Antony

Hi Anthony,

I'm rather busy this evening but will have a look tomorrow.

Roy

That's absolutely no problem, thanks in anticipation.

Antony

Anthony,

P.M. sent

Roy

PM received, and i have sent you one back, with thanks.

Antony

Hi Roy.

Do you have any diary entries for the 2nd Battalion South/Staffs for the 23rd/24th March 1918 what became known as the 1st battle of Bapaume.I have also sent you a PM.

Kind Regards Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Gday Roy

I am trying to find which South Staffordshire Bn relieved the 1st Bn Scots Guards on the 28th November 1917.

Would it be possible to have a look?

Cheers

Toby

• 3 months later...

Hello Roy,

I've been reading the posts re 1/6th South Staffs with interest as I have one man from the Battn on the memorial in Backford church (near Chester). Henry Stafford Higgins (43578) was born in Liverpool in 1900, both parents died in 1910 and from 1911 to May 1914 he was at St Edward's school (information kindly provided by the Brothers of Charity). It seems that he enlisted in RAMC in Chester, transferred to 1/6 S Staffs and was killed on 3 October 1918. Do the diaries shed any light on what was happening around this time ?

I am still trying to work out why he is listed on the memorial in our local church (although I have some theories !) and if it is of interest I can send you what I have written about him.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

• 2 months later...
Guest 6850 Pte Joseph Badland

Hi Roy

do you have a diary entry for 22nd and 23rd of October 1914? I'm trying to learn what mioght have happend to 6850 Pte Joseph Badland, recorded as KIA 23rd October 1914. i know he was part of 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regirment, but don't know what his role was or which company he might have been in? I'm visiting Ypres on the 100th aniversary of his death. I think he died somewhere around Pilckem and would like to visit the area if I can narrow it down.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Roy,

My x3 Grt Uncle served with the 1/6th Btn South Staffs from 1st Sept - 10th Oct 1918.

Is it possible to give me the above war diary.

On his service records it states S or 8 Coy ??

Many thanks for you time.

Regards

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hi I wondered if anyone can help me. I have recently been researching my partners family and have found that his great grandfather was in the 7th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. His name was James Phipps (17002) and he was killed in action on 27th September 1916. I have found his medal card which I think shows he was also at Gallipoli (not sure). Any additional information on him or the movements of his battalion on the day he died would be fantastic. Thank you