Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regt War Diaries

Roy Evans

Max

many thanks, that now completes my understanding of the handover and my great-uncle's involvement. Prior to the War he was a Marine Fireman so used to handling a shovel so no doubt that influenced the selection of those assigned to 2CTC!

Thanks again

Obliged, Max - that explains why I couldn't find it!

• 8 months later...
On 20/12/2019 at 14:07, Domenic Pastore Jr. said:

Good Morning All,  I'm looking into an American Physician was received an M.C. for his services during WW1 with the 7th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment.

He was; >>> Dr. Albert Orville RAYMOND, of Brockton, Massachusetts, USA. If anyone would please be so kind as to assist me in determining exactly what he actually did to be decorated, I will be most deeply appreciative. His Military Cross Certificate only states; "For services to the 7th Battalion" ? Although through researching his L.G. Entry, I learned it was the 7th South Staffordshires. If anyone could tell me anything regarding this individual, I would be very interested in whatever information they may have. THANK YOU

For anyone else who comes across this particular post - DP is posting elsewhere too = Things seem to have moved on a bit.

See this: https://gmic.co.uk/topic/77429-please-help-british-ww1-mc-award-to-us-army-medical-corps-officer/?tab=comments#comment-698701

:-) M

THANK YOU very much  'Matlock1418', I appreciate your making mention of my Post !  And yes, I have been extremely fortunate in locating so much additional data on 1st Lieutenant / Captain A. O. Raymond. I'm sure he aware how it goes, either you're hardly able to find anything, or sometimes you get lucky & manage to hit the proverbial 'jackpot' ! So far, I've been able to determine he served with at least 3 particular units, an U.K. based Orthopaedic Hospital, 33rd Field Ambulance Company* ( *not yet sure if Company or Battalion ) & the 7th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment in France. I'm still attempting to determine the precise assignment dates of each unit, but that as usual takes some deeper digging. It 'looks like' he arrived in the U.K. sometime in February 1917, & was posted to the Ortho Hospital for 'training'. Next, I assume it was with the 33rd Field Ambulance, then on 30 September 1918 to the 7th South Staffordshires', & lastly back to the 33rd Field Ambulance again ?  ( I 'think' that's a somewhat accurate account of Lieutenant Raymond's WW1 service, at least so far. ) There is however a large portion missing from this puzzle, that being Raymond's WW1 era U.S. Army service ? I have managed to find a few brief mentions, & or references fro him within American Army files, but they are few & far in between. As soon as I get a chance I will upload them either here or most likely on my GMIC Post which is much more in depth than this Post. THANKS 

Best,     dpast32

P.S.  Just briefly, I'm again faced with trying to determine exactly how I might be able to differentiate between a WW1 era manufacture South Staffordshire Officer's Cap Badge, versus an example of Post WW1 & or WW2 production ? Yes, I do realize that this isn't a precise science so to speak, but are there any pointers, or hints which may go of assistance when looking at assorted examples ? I've noted numerous examples with both brass & white metal construction, where some appear to be all brass, which I've been advised sometimes n could indicate WW1 production ? As always, ANY assistance here will be very much appreciated. THANKS AGAIN

• 9 months later...

Hello

New to this site, I was looking for some information on my great grandfather and found a mention of him in the transcribed diaries of the 5th Bttn. South Staffs. Regt.. Graeme Clarke you asked someone about Sergeant John Sanders of 85 High Road, Lane Head, Wolverhampton, killed April 27th 1915 - you even had a photo of him. He was my great grandfather - I have a postcard sent to my Grampa (John Henry Sanders) from John Sanders (sometimes spelt Saunders) from the front. Date is missing as someone took the stamp off and destroyed the postmark. Would love to know how you are connected to him?

Best Wishes

Bex

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. It looks like @GraemeClarke was replying to a query from @Iain Sanders. Iain hasn’t visited the forum for some years now. You could try sending him a private message. He may receive it.

Michelle 

Sorry Graeme I did attempt to reply - have been away for a few days and tried to do it via my mobile but am hopeless doing anything other than calls or texts on the phone. Got back last night.

Thank you - it's good to see a photograph of him - I don't remember ever seeing one before. I don't think my Grampa had a photo of his Dad or if he did I was never aware of it. Seems like he was at the Front less than a month. I have a postcard he sent to my grandfather from the Front but the postmark has been torn away with the stamp. His untimely death didn't dissuade my Grampa from joining up, nor my uncle - they were both career soldiers.

Best Wishes

Bex Elliott

• 9 months later...

Hi there would you be able to look up a John Martin  19235 who joined the South Staffordshire regiment on 30th sept 1915 and was awarded the military medal in 1916. I seem to have reached a dead end in my research..many thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with my query. I have looked on the National Archives for the war diaries but they are kept at the Staffs Regiment Museum in Lichfield and are not online.

I am looking for information as to where the South Staffordshire 1st/5th Bn were in action when my grandfather was killed on the 12th Oct 1918.

His name is Private William Wallwin 31869 South Staffs Regiment. He is buried in Busigny Communal Cemetery plot IV.A.27

Thankyou for any help

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 12-39-25 Private W Walwin War Casualty Details 274498 CWGC.png

23 minutes ago, John(txic) said:

23 minutes ago, John(txic) said:

Thank you John, I have just downloaded the diary for the South Staffs, I was obviously looking in the wrong place at the National Archives

Cheers