Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geordie Skins

Desmond7

NO 6 - and remember James .. I was asking about 'geordie' skins from the general area not just Jarrow. Thanks.

post-1582-1130526506.jpg

Jimmy,

You're going to have to dig out the Muster Roll Books for the 2nd Bn, N.F. Your Frank had been in the Northumberlands since at least May/June 1912. I took a closer look at his regimental number and you have these two lads enlisting in April 1912 - 3417 Pte T.Young and 3419 Pte H.Guy. Depending how many enlisted over the next two months, Frank was certainly with the 2nd Bn in 1912.

Now I have a nice surprise for you, I have found your Frank was actually awarded his 3rd Class Certificate of Education while serving with the 2nd Bn at Hillsborough Barracks, Sheffield on the 30th July 1912.

Your Frank had been with the N.F. nearly three years when he was killed and had more than likely been in India with the Battalion, when it returned for active service. So he was no wartime enlistment he was an experienced soldier.

Now you short changed the NF's by one battalion in an earlier post saying they had 51 Bn's, it was actually 52. Plus they had five Volunteer Battalions affiliated to them from Northumberland Volunteer Regiment in 1918 and they raised a further two battlefield clearance battalions in 1919. This gives you a grand total of 59 Bn's from 1914 - 1919.

I'd list them all here for you but it would take ages.

Anyway if you're a good lad and I have a bit spare time tomorrow morning( I have to go to Penrith) I'll try and scan and post Frank's notice of his Education Certificate for you.

Gan Canny,

Graham

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Anyway if you're a good lad and I have a bit spare time tomorrow morning( I have to go to Penrith) I'll try and scan and post Frank's notice of his Education Certificate for you.

Gan Canny,

Graham

Cheers Graham..............

post-7376-1130578911.jpg

Jimmy

As promised. From St.Georges Gazette 31st August 1912, from 2nd Bn, N.F. Notes dated 25th August 1912.

Graham.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy

As promised. From St.Georges Gazette 31st August 1912, from 2nd Bn, N.F. Notes dated 25th August 1912.

Graham.

Thanks for your help Graham.

So I can safely say he joined the NF in July/August 1912

I will reflect this on his page at:

Frank Monaghan

Recognition of your contribution has been aknowleged on there Graham.......

I was talking to my fathers sister who is in her 80s (my aunt) this morning and she said her mother (Franks sister) had told her that Frank was kicked out of the Navy for throwing a barrel of gunpowder over the side on the Monmouth (barrel of gunpowder? in 1911? haaaaaaa they where firing shells then not cannonballs)

But you know what women are like..........

Anyhow then he was supposed to join up at start of WW1 to be with his brother William.

But theres a connection there cos his brother William joined up with the 1st Royal Scots in 1912.........

Anyhow all there medals, death penny etc (probably some photos of them) went off with there older sister Kate Wadey (Monaghan) my great aunt (who also lost her husband the same year as her two brothers in Ypres 1915) Tom Wadey Gunner 3291.

Katey and her children went off to Kent to be with her husbands relations in the early 1920s..........

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

No I'm no relation to him just have an interest in Middlesbrough memorial and the people commemorated.

Bob.

Ok Bob

My great grandfather on my fathers side (my direct lineage)

Moved to Middlesbrough in 1880 from Jarrow with his wife and daughter (daughter born Jarrow 1879 died Middlesbrough 1885)

To work as a Iron Puddler on the Blast Furnaces there (he had previously done the same in Jarrow Blast furnaces)

They had 3 other daughters born Middlesbrough (great aunts) 1880, 1883, 1886.

My great grandfather his wife and 2 daughters are down on the 1881 census at 12 Prince Charles Street Linthorpe.

Which as you know all disappeared long ago.

But they were back in Jarrow for the birth of my grandfather in July 1888

Guest Jimmy Knacky

Any of these yours Bob?

Joseph William Coulson Pte 2921 1st/8th DLI. Enlisted Durham Living Middlesbrough. kia 26/04/15

James Coulson Pte 7582 2nd DLI. Born Jarrow Living Hebburn. kia 09/08/15

James Coulson Pte 23365 15th DLI. Born Sunderland Enlisted Jarrow. kia 01/07/16

John William Coulson Rifleman 6656 2nd Royal Irish Rifles. Born Hendon Enlisted Jarrow. kia 26/10/14

John Coulson Pte 3/8628 2nd Yorks. Born Jarrow Enlisted Hartlepool. kia 22/11/16

Guest Jimmy Knacky

Graham I see your from Darlington...........

My grandfather (my mothers father) Robert William Wilkinson was born in 4 Katherine Street Darlington 12 July 1881.

Robert William Wilkinson Gunner 10802 1st Divisional Ammunition Column Royal Field Artillery.

Qualifying date 16.08.14. France.

Entitled to 1914 star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.

He did 21 years in the army and came out in 1919.(Boer War, India, WW1)

Pretty sure there will be a family connection to some of the Coulsons you have listed Jimmy but have never been able to pin any down apart from my grandad who was RGA and survived the war.

The Coulson side of my family are all from British West Hartlepool but we migrated over the Tees.

Bob.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Pretty sure there will be a family connection to some of the Coulsons you have listed Jimmy but have never been able to pin any down apart from my grandad who was RGA and survived the war.

The Coulson side of my family are all from British West Hartlepool but we migrated over the Tees.

Bob.

British West Hartlepool haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So yis were illegal immigrants from owwer the watta..........

This lad was from West Hartlepool, but was born in Jarrow so you might have Jarrow roots.........

John Coulson Pte 3/8628 2nd Yorks. Born Jarrow Enlisted Hartlepool. kia 22/11/16

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

The online R.N. Documents from the National Archive man.

SS3004 Frank Monaghan, R.N., born Jarrow, 30/4/1891.

Graham.

Just found this on another page....................

Men served in the RN under both Continuous Service and Short Service Engagement.

The former was an initial engagement of 12 years, with an option to serve without intermission for a further ten years, thereby completing 22 years' service. This entitled a man to a long service pension and LSGC Medal with gratuity (after 15 years, and if all service was classified as Very Good).

In order to be eligible for this pension, all ex-RN men had to belong to the RFR and remain liable for recall until the age of 50 (unless they joined the RN on or after the age of 28 and were 50 when they retired from it).

The latter entailed either 5 or 7 years' service in the RN, followed respectively by 7 or 5 years' reserve liability with the Royal Fleet Reserve. They could carry on service in the RFR if they so desired (hence the number of RFR LSGC medals around, as recipients of RN LSGCs were not eligible for these). Their RN service numbers were prefixed "SS".

So the SS in SS3004 Frank Monaghan meant short service?

With a gratuity?

Jimmy,

Migrated to Darlo just over 20years ago, but am originally a Brandon Colliery lad. Left Brandon when I was 21 and did six years in the R.N. Came home, married and moved here, then did another 14 years in the T.A.

Had another look through my SGG's to see if I could pick Frank up between 1912 and 1914, but no luck. Suspect all of his details will be in the 2nd Bn, N.F. Muster Roll Book if it's still survived. Might be worth checking N.F. Museum to see if any 2nd Bn named group photo's exist. Yernevaknaa yemite getafotyofim yit.

Graham

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Migrated to Darlo just over 20years ago, but am originally a Brandon Colliery lad. Left Brandon when I was 21 and did six years in the R.N. Came home, married and moved here, then did another 14 years in the T.A.

Had another look through my SGG's to see if I could pick Frank up between 1912 and 1914, but no luck. Suspect all of his details will be in the 2nd Bn, N.F. Muster Roll Book if it's still survived. Might be worth checking N.F. Museum to see if any 2nd Bn named group photo's exist. Yernevaknaa yemite getafotyofim yit.

Graham

There is no roll book for 2nd NF Graham

I've tried Newcastle Library and Record office a few times (in case they made a mistake)

Newcastle Library and Record office hold all the NF stuff

The museum Alnwick Castle is a waste of space

The Record Office in Newcastle hold something I would like to get copies of if I had the money............

Photos of hundreds of servicemen who died WW1 from Jarrow.

The photos had been handed in to St. Bedes RC church Jarrow by family

And barely any have a name to them..............

They should be researched instead of just lying there.

I tried going through some a few years ago.........

But the time you wait the forms you fill out plus you only get a half dozen at a time

But if you asked for a copy of the lot and signed the cheque you would get good copies of the lot in a few days.................

Money talks bonny lad.........

The Parliamentary division of Jarrow was originally formed by the Distribution of Seats Act of 1885 and included Jarrow, Hebburn, Wardley and Felling.

All but two of those who are listed on the Ulster Covenant site under Jarrow actually resided in Felling - the exceptions coming from Walker and Wallsend. I am surprised that none came from Hebburn, which had a strong Orange presence and still has a thriving Orange Lodge today.

Patrick

Guest Jimmy Knacky
The Parliamentary division of Jarrow was originally formed by the Distribution of Seats Act of 1885 and included Jarrow, Hebburn, Wardley and Felling.

All but two of those who are listed on the Ulster Covenant site under Jarrow actually resided in Felling - the exceptions coming from Walker and Wallsend. I am surprised that none came from Hebburn, which had a strong Orange presence and still has a thriving Orange Lodge today.

Patrick

Exactly the point I was trying to make early in the thread fellow South Tynesider Patrick..........

The Bentinck (Protestant and Conservative Club) in Hebburn has a strong and thriving Orange Lodge today?

Just shows you have never drunk in the place haaaaaaa

The Steward is a Catholic and most of the drinkers in there are Catholics....

Also most of the members of the Bentinck spend most of there time in the Iona (Catholic Club) 50 yards away.......

Whens the last time you seen an Orange march Patrick?

You being a Catholic like myself, you should get yourself in the Bentinck and get your eyes opened bonny lad......

No, you said: "Felling has never ever been in the Jarrow constituency."

This is incorrect.

As to the Orange Lodge in Hebburn - I haven't been in the Bentinck since the late 1960's so I can't comment upon the regulars who drink in there today. However, the following website seems to indicate that there is still a functioning lodge in Hebburn,

http://www.freewebs.com/district46/

and if you visit this site you can see a picture of the Hebburn Apprentice Boys. Maybe you will recognise some of them.

http://www.freewebs.com/fife/locallodges.htm

Patrick