Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geordie Skins

Desmond7

My issue has never been with you but the Ulster Convention it just happened that you were the last one to utter "65 names from Jarrow" that I took the quote from...

...then you'd better be more careful in future before throwing allegations around.

Jimmy,

Serious question are you related to Albert and Jimmy Melville of Jarrow, both of the Northumberland Fusiliers, killed at Ypres 1915 about a month apart?

Graham.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Serious question are you related to Albert and Jimmy Melville of Jarrow, both of the Northumberland Fusiliers, killed at Ypres 1915 about a month apart?

Graham.

No, but these two lads from Jarrow were my great uncles, one in the Northumberland Fusiliers and the other in the Royal Scots, killed at Ypres 1915 couple of months apart..

Brothers in Arms

Jimmy,

Have to hand it to you, you've done some cannny work there. Was Frank ex-regular Royal Navy as well, or R.N.R., because I just can't make out the cap-tally?

Graham.

Jimmy,

Had a quick look at the R.N. records that are now on line. There's a SS 3004 Frank Monaghan, born Jarrow 30/4/1891. Would that be the lad? Might be worth pulling his doc's.

Graham.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Have to hand it to you, you've done some cannny work there. Was Frank ex-regular Royal Navy as well, or R.N.R., because I just can't make out the cap-tally?

Graham.

Click on his photo his stories there

The photos of him serving on HMS Monmouth before the war, a battle cruiser

But on leave in October 1914 he signed up for the Northumberland Fusiliers hence there is no photo of him known in the khaki............ Thats the last he was seen till he was killed in February 1915

Ironically the Monmouth was sunk by the Nurnberg at the battle of Coronel in the Falklands in November 1914 with the loss of all hands...........

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Had a quick look at the R.N. records that are now on line. There's a SS 3004 Frank Monaghan, born Jarrow 30/4/1891. Would that be the lad? Might be worth pulling his doc's.

Graham.

Thats him but according to Frank Monaghan's birth cert i got he was born in Jarrow 23rd May 1891

So how do I go about getting them documents.........

At least I have his navy number thanks bonny lad

Jimmy,

Interesting that one, as an ex-Navy man myself I would have thought they would have posted him as a deserter having not returned to his ship and war station. Bet you there was a right old carry on when the Bobbies came to pick him up and found he'd enlisted into the N.F. Can imagine the s**t hitting the fan when the R.N. found out and all the transfer paperwork had to be sorted, thats if it ever was. His docs might still have him on the run.

Know of a similar story about a Spennymoor lad found him in the Police Gazette as a deserter, he also failed to return from leave and when the Bobbies went to his house to pick him up. they found him laid out in the front room in his box. He died whilst on leave, but his family never informed the Army.

Graham.

Guest Jimmy Knacky

Just looked through my documents and I have not got his birth cert, its his brother William's I have got

That dob birth I have for him must of been from his baptism 23.05.1891

So that could be his proper dob 30.04.1891

well yi buggaman

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Interesting that one, as an ex-Navy man myself I would have thought they would have posted him as a deserter having not returned to his ship and war station. Bet you there was a right old carry on when the Bobbies came to pick him up and found he'd enlisted into the N.F. Can imagine the s**t hitting the fan when the R.N. found out and all the transfer paperwork had to be sorted, thats if it ever was. His docs might still have him on the run.

Know of a similar story about a Spennymoor lad found him in the Police Gazette as a deserter, he also failed to return from leave and when the Bobbies went to his house to pick him up. they found him laid out in the front room in his box. He died whilst on leave, but his family never informed the Army.

Graham.

I don't think he jumped over the wall? (navy patter for going awol)

The story I heard he and a few other Navy lads went down the army recruiting office in Jarrow and asked to switch services

and they got a dispensation for it

I think before November 1914 the most action the Monmouth had seen was going in to dry dock................

Jimmy,

Howay man get them downloaded the suspense is killing me.

Graham.

Jimmy,

The online R.N. Documents from the National Archive man.

SS3004 Frank Monaghan, R.N., born Jarrow, 30/4/1891.

Azskint anarl. Ask the soash for a sub, tell them its of national importance.

Graham.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

The online R.N. Documents from the National Archive man.

SS3004 Frank Monaghan, R.N., born Jarrow, 30/4/1891.

Azskint anarl. Ask the soash for a sub, tell them its of national importance.

Graham.

Description Name Monaghan, Frank

Official Number: SS3004

Place of Birth: Jarrow, Durham

Date 30 April 1891

Catalogue reference ADM 188/1097

Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Series Admiralty: Registers of Seamen's Services

Piece 3001-4000

Image contains 1 item for the catalogue reference

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)

4 / 2 PDF 1.2 1 179 1 3.50

Total Price (£) 3.50

Yes found it.........

I havn't got a credit card nowadays........

I'll have to get some one to do it on there card......

I'ts not going to go away is it........

a week or two's not going to make any differeence.......

So yis will jist have to bite your nails aal yous looking in haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Guest Jimmy Knacky

Heres some info on the Melville brothers from Jarrow that you will not find on SDGW or CWG Graham if your interested (as I see your researching NF)

Albert Melville aged 29 when he died

James Melville aged 28 when he died

And their parents were John and Esther Melville living at 40 James Street Jarrow when they died.........

As I said before they are not recorded on any Memorial in Jarrow

But they were added to the Memorial Book in Jarrow Town Hall that was unveiled on Tuesday 15th June 2004 (100th anniversary of the opening of the Jarrow Town Hall)

Jimmy,

Cheers for that. I'll add those bits to my database.

Graham

P.S.

What would you rather have a wet weekend in Monaghan, or a wet weekend in Jarrow - gettnbladdad'n'chasintotty, might even hevtime tefit in a Greggs ham'n'peaspuddingstottie.

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Jimmy,

Howay man get them downloaded the suspense is killing me.

Graham.

Heres that thingygabbywotsit from the National Archives Graham see what you can make of it.

And there is some bloke Robert Grumley? stuck over the top of him

This is all I can make out:

Frank Monaghan Ordinary Seaman 3004

Born 30 April 1891 Jarrow

Signed on at Devonport for 5 to 7 years(I know that yard well I worked there 2000 - 2002 but that's another story)

height 5ft. 4in. - chest 34 and a half. - hair brown. - eyes blue. complexion fresh. Scar right side?

Tailor in the navy on board ship? or is that just his civvy job?

He Served on:

HMS Vivid I. 11/08/1909 to 01/10/1909. VG31.12.09G (VG = VERY GOOD. G =GOOD)

HMS Mars. 02/10/1909 to 31/01/1910. VG31.12.10G

HMS Andromeda. 01/02/1910 to 12/03/1910

HMS Monmouth. 18/03/1910 to 05/08/1911 G. Indifferent (haaaaaa)

(7 days in cells? and looks like he got kicked out 05/08/1911 can't make out what for? .....8hL R.?) (ShL Report?) (Shore Leave Report?) (old story me granny [his sister] once told me father that he picked up a shell and threw it at a petty officer? so it must of been something petty haaaaaaaa

good job it was peace time.............

Mind wonder if he done a bit bird before being whistled out.....

So the old story of him getting dispensation to join army is not right... me granny god rest her soul was just covering up for her bruv

Jimmy,

Thanks I'll have a good skeg at it later on. Off to the vets to pick-up the dog. If there's problems with some of coding I'm sure some of the R.N. researchers could help out. Still a nice addition to your family history, kicked out or otherwise.

Graham.

Scar R. side of .................

F. Monaghan.....................

least, Re........................... (or could it be heart, Re???)

date, letters......................

Mark of.............................

Pretty unreadable but I think "heart" - a heart tattoo, Right summat?

Jim

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Why were so many Geordies in the ranks of the 11th R. Innis. Fus?

I've seen the ROH and there are a sizeable number in there. Was a  draft from Tyneside/Durham etc sent over post July 1 1916?

Des

By the way, Jimmy, whatever might have been the sentiment of people seven years later, only a small minority of Irish people in 1914 were actively pro-republican and the Irish infantry regiments did manage to put 18 regular and 46 service battalions in the field, by no means all Ulster protestants. So, somebody must have joined up!

Northumberland Fusiliers (NF) raised more battalions during the war than any other of the regular army regiments, 51 in all and its total of dead was the highest, 16,159.

It's obvious the regular Geordie regiments like the Northumberland Fusiliers could not take the massive influx of Geordie lads clammering to join up (we also had 2 other Regiments close by, filled with Geordie Lads, the Border Regiment and the Durham Light Infantry)

So they dived in any regiment they could to get out to Belgium even flooding the Ulster and Scottish regiments ............

The second generation Irish on Tyneside done more than there bit.......

Note: In 1914 on Tyneside Catholics outnumbered any other religion by 3 to 1 as they did in Ireland...............

Guest Jimmy Knacky

Well you can't get fairer than this for your 3 punds fifty.....

...me bonny lads n lasses can yi?

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail and the information provided.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

The image is poor, and we have requested that it be re-filmed as well as re-scanned. I am sure you will appreciate that this is a long and delicae process and will take a minimum of 25 working days to complete. We will send the new document to you via e-mail, as soon as the process is complete.

We trust that this is acceptable and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any further problems please don't hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

DocumentsOnline Support Team

Tel. no.: +44 ( 0 ) 20 8876 3444

Email: documentsonline@nationalarchives.gov.uk

TNA website: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

DocumentsOnline: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

If you intend to send us further e-mails, to avoid receiving our initial auto-response again, please make sure you include the letters SART , with a space on either side, in your subject line.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 27 October 2005 18:47

To: DocumentsOnline

Subject: Order number: I/05/00472062Y

Sent: 27/10/2005 12:06:36

Order number: I/05/*********

Part of the document for Frank Monaghan on the right hand side is unreadable due to the scan.

Is it possible to get a better scan copy or could you possibly decipher it for me from the original?

Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------