Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card continued thread Reaves

Guest Paul-r

Guest Paul-r

post-7148-1117310493.jpgHere is the new attachment that was kindly pointed out to me.

Can anyone explain the new details (Old thread is Medal Card Reaves)

Yes he lost a Limb a leg I believe so the explanation makes sense transfering to a Territorial reg.

I would appreciate any info on how I can gain any further information on my Grandfather (DOB, Address?) and how I can check where he served and was injured etc

I have had to compress the image to get it small enough to post please say if you need me to clarify any details

Many thanks for you help

Paul

Paul he wouldn't have been transferred to a Territorial Battalion because he lost a leg. He would have been discharged from the Army, and the reason for discharge is given on the card - P. 392(xvi) KR - Regulation 392, paragraph 16, King's Regulations. Paragraph 16 is "No longer physically fit for service."

Tom

Guest Paul-r

Just an extra note in case its missed.

If you see the top of the MIC his original number was L/6104

so it appears maybe after his injury he was transferred to the other regiment maybe the first medal was for the action in whatever the regiment the number L/6104 relates to. he was obviously injured losing a leg I assume in action so maybe the other medal was connected with that?

Anyway I am sure someone will know! :unsure:

Guest Paul-r
Just an extra note in case its missed.

If you see the top of the MIC his original number was L/6104

so it appears maybe after his injury he was transferred to the other regiment maybe the first medal was for the action in whatever the regiment the number L/6104 relates to. he was obviously injured losing a leg I assume in action so maybe the other medal was connected with that?

Anyway I am sure someone will know! :unsure:

Thanks Tom

I was just wondering why the two lots of dog tags/regiments?

Paul,

Following on from earlier, it seems like the following happened.

William Reeves (Reaves) went to war in 1914 with the 1st Battalion, East Kent Regiment (Buffs) (per the other thread, battalion assumption solely based on his date of entry to France).

On that other card was his entitlement to his 1914 Star (for entry into France before 22-11-1914 i.e. on 2-11-1914)

This card is an Silver War Badge (SWB) card with his Victory and British War Medals entitlement stamped on. The SWB medal is what was given when the soldier was discharged from the army due to wounds, illnesss, etc. as per Tom Morgan's full explanation above. The big "W" would mean from wounds rather than sickness (which would be "S")

It looks like he enlisted on 30-10-1898 (is he old enough for that date to be right? If so he may have fought in the Boer War and/or the Sudan)

After serving with the 1st Battalion, he transferred at some point to what appears to be the 6th Battalion East Kent Regiment, which is a New Army Service Regiment, not a TF Regiment (specifically the 4th Regiment) as his new number 203854 would have indicated.

As Tom has said, losing a leg was grounds for medical discharge from the army, not for transfer to a UK Battalion.

The 6th Battalion East Kent Regiment was in the 12th Division that saw action at the Somme and Arras and which was not a Division to be transferred to for non-combat duty...

Quite why he has a TF number there I'm not sure. Since you have dog tags with what might be "2/4" on them and since the two MICs both state a 4th Battalion number from after 1-3-1917, he may have been in the 2/4th Battalion between his intial battalion in 1914 and when he was discharged in 1919.

Whilst serving with the 6th Battalion East Kent Regiment he lost his leg, per your post, and was discharged and entiltled to a SWB badge, to which the "List" reference refers.

He was medically discharged from the army on 1-8-1919.

The mysteries that seem to be left from this are:

When and why did he transfer from the 1st Battalion to the 2/4th Battalion and/or the 6th Battalion?

Was he a pre-war regular? There may be traces of him in the Queens South Africa Medal rolls &/or Attestation Papers records at the National Archives.

Why does the TF number seem to carry back over into a New Army Regiment?

Finally, when did he get injured and where and how?

I think only his service records could answer questions 1,3, & 4, and as usual there is only a 30% chance that they still exist at the NA.

Steve.

That got a bit rambling:

In summary, my reading is:

Unknown battalion (maybe 1st Batt) at around time of Boer War.

1st Battalion Buffs - to War on 2-11-1914. 1914 Star and Clasp.

2/4th Battalion Buffs - in UK only. Was in this battalion after 1-3-1917 due to number.

6th Battalion Buffs (New Army) at end of war and wounded (lost leg) and discharged.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Steve.

Me again!

Looking at the top line of the MIC it has what appears to be "XV / E Kent Reg 6104 Pte" on it which could relate to King's Regulations 392 Para XV which is released from duty after serving the allotted length of time in the Army.

This could perhaps explain his rejoining another battalion after the 1st Battalion?

I WILL shut up now...

Steve.

Steve,

once he had been allocated his 6-digit TF number that would not change again whatever battalion of the regiment he served in.

Jock

<snipped>

The mysteries that seem to be left from this are:

<snipped>

Why does the TF number seem to carry back over into a New Army Regiment?

<snipped>

Steve.

Aha! Thanks Jock.

I was just reading your (rather excellent) TF numbering article on the Mother Site to check that one!

Thanks for both the answer and the Article as well.

I find it an invaluable resource.

Steve.

Paul he wouldn't have been transferred to a Territorial Battalion because he lost a leg. 

There is a reason why he would be transferred to another battalion, even if he had lost a leg, and stayed in the army until 1919 and that was to make up his time to 21 years, qualifying for his full pension. An old sweat of 15+ (in 1914) years could still be useful even without a leg. There was a medal on ebay recently to an amputee, sold with service record, who was moved to a cushier billet to complete his time.

He was transferred to the 2/4 on 26th January 1917.

His medal was taken into stock on 30/8/19. Do you know if he received it ?

Mick

Thanks Michael,

The summary I've nearly finished is going to have to be changed now!

:D

That is thanks in the good way!

Steve.

Just thought I'd put a summary of William Reeves' army career together for review and to be "critiqued" by the Forum.

Pre-War

On the basis that William Reeves spent his entire later army career in the Buffs, it is probable that when he initially enlisted on 30-10-1898 (may be 1899, I can't quite read that...) he enlisted into the East Kent Regiment (the Buffs).

This could have been with any of the 3 Battalions of the Regiment at the time. He wouldn't necessarily have been in the same battalion as he was when the First World War broke out.

For the record the 3 Battalions were in the following place between 1898 and 1914:

1st : 1899 Kemptee, 1901 Poona, 1903 Aden, 1904 England, 1910 Ireland, Sep 1914 To France.

2nd : 1899 Brighton, 1900 South Africa, 1902 England, 1907 SA, 1908 Hong Kong, 1910 Singapore, 1913 Madras, 1915 to France.

3rd : Militia, UK Only.

His regiment number of L/6104 would probably have been allocated during this time.

First World War

Since his MIC records him as going to France on 2-11-1914 with the Buffs, he was almost certainly in the 1st Battalion by that time (they were the only battalion of the Buffs there at the time)

As part of 16th Brigade in the 6th Division the 1st Buffs would have been involved in the following major battles during the period 1914 to 1916:

Hooge (Nov 1914, 1st Battle of Ypres, probably William's first major battle), the Somme (Jul-Nov 1916). AT the Somme 16th Brigade were at Lueze Wood near Combles during the battle of Fler-Courcelette in September, at Morval in late September, and Le Transloy in October.

On entering the Theatre of War in France, William Reeves was entitled to his 1914 Star, Victory Medal, and British War Medal. Since he was awarded the Clasp (for the medal ribbon) and Roses (for his tunic ribbon) to the 1914 Star, he would have been "under fire" before 22-11-1914, probably at Hooge.

Per "Michaels" post he transferred to the 2/4th Battalion on 26th January 1917.

The MIC for the Victory Medal, British War Medal and Silver War Badge has a note at the top which may read "XV / E Kent R 6104 Pte" which could read as "Formerly Private William Reeves, number 6104 of the East Kent Regiment, discharged under Kings Regulations 392, Paragraph XV (15), "Free, after ___ years service under Article 1130 (ii), Pay Warrant". Two of the "standard" long term stints in the army were 21 years and 18 years. 21 years would take him to 1919, 18 years to 1916.

It is only speculation but it is possible that he served 18 years up to October 1916 before being discharged.

By that time, conscription was in place and retiring soldiers were usually given "Hobson's Choice" - re-enlist in the army in the Regiment of their choosing (and take some leave) or go home and later be conscripted and sent elsewhere. Since William stayed in the Buffs, he just MAY have taken the 1st option, but this is all SPECULATION so don't take this as true.

If he re-enlisted into the Buffs, a period of leave between the end of his allotted time and re-enlistment into the 2/4th in January 1917 may well fit.

We do know that at some point after 1-3-1917 he was in the 2/4th Battalion (Territorial Force) on Reserve in the UK, otherwise he would not have been renumbered. As at 1-3-1917, he was given the number 203854. Since he had been in the 2/4th for a few weeks before that he would have had a different TF number which would have been replaced and is probably lost to time.

As said above he may have been time expired from his earlier service, or it is possible that he was wounded (but it is very unlikely that it was his lost leg that caused this movement, as he was later transferred to the 6th (Service) Battalion who were serving in France) It is again possible that illness caused him to be medically downgraded, and declared fit for Garrison duty but not for the Front Line (I have a relative who was declared at "B" medical grade, fit for Garrison duty

after Pleurisy prevented his call up from Reserve for 2 years. My relative spent a year on Garrison duty before being transferred to a Service (New Army) Regiment and going to the Front).

His stay in the 2/4th Battalion may simply have been a time waiting "on Reserve" to rejoin an active service battalion.

Whatever length of time he spent in the UK, he was later transferred to a New Army battalion of the Buffs, the 6th (Service) Battalion who served in 37th Brigade, 12th (Eastern) Division. As Jock Bruce has said he retained his TF number on transfer to the 6th Battalion, even though it was a Regular (New Army) battalion and not a TF Battalion.12th Division saw action at the following battles after March 1917:

Arras (Apr-Jun 1917), Cambrai (Nov 1917), the Somme (Mar-Jul 1918), Amiens (Aug 1918), Hindenburg Line (Sep 1918), Artois (Oct-Nov 1918) At some point, presumably after joining the 6th Battalion, William Reeves lost his leg. He was given the Silver War Badge after his discharge from the army on 1-8-1919 under Kings Regulations 392, Paragraph XVI (16) - "No longer physically fit for service"

Either his earlier service and/or his wound would probably have entitled him to a pension.

As you can see the main missing details of William Reeves army career are the dates of his transfer to the 6th Battalion and the date of his wounding. If his service records survive they would fill the holes nicely. However, as stated above, only 30% of them survive at the NA, so I hope you can be one of the lucky ones.

In their absence, the local papers of the time may well have recorded at least roughly when he was wounded and maybe some details of the circumstances and hopefully what battalion of the Buffs he was in. Most of the larger libraries will have copies of local papers on microfilm.

Hope this doesn't make things even more confused,

Steve.

It is only speculation but it is possible that he served 18 years up to October 1916 before being discharged.

As far as I know, in the army, there were 2 main periods of service that men agreed to were 12 years and then 21 years.

18 years was the period needed to qualify for the Long Service Good Conduct Medal, but I don’t think that men signed on to serve for that period, it just had to be 18 years continuous good conduct. Have you found whether Williams Reeves was awarded a LSGC medal?

I thought the same but there is no record of him on my LSGC list

It was worth a try, I’m not sure what the proportion was who completed 21 years and got the LSGC, but it wasn’t automatic.

I'm not sure where I got the 18 years from. I think it is mentioned in the discharge paragraphs of KR 392. Terms of service are not something I have looked into much. Sorry, if I have mistakenly said something that is not true.

I have read some topics on the Forum that state that War time counts as "double years" towards his service. Is this true? Could that then have made his service up to 21 "years" by 1916?

I ought to leave this part to the experts, I think...

Time to buy Charles Messengers book, perhaps!

Apologies again,

Steve.

War time counts as "double years" towards his service.

Wartime service was counted double for some LSGC medals, I'm not sure if it also counted to his pensionable service.

Guest Paul-r

Amended slightly

Apologies.

I have been watching out for reply on another part of the forum (Where I thought this thread had been moved)

I have only just seen the replies!

I am eternally grateful for all your time and effort here. :)

I am not a Military man so I appreciate your expertise.

William was probably born in 1882 - that would make him abt 16/17 in 1899 (Looks like)

This would have made him 16.(Sounds to young to me)

There is a rumour that our name is actually Gunner and not Reeves and that it was changed so one of our ancestors could join up underage!

However as Gunner is a military term then maybe thats what he became?

I didnt consider this correct for my Grandfather as he was old enough to fight in WW1 (Would have been 31!)

I had no idea he would have been in the army and fought in other wars!

Is this definite?

The reason I ask as I have come to a complete standstill in respect of him in my family history and nothing seems to fit.

I have lots of documentation on his later life but his father was also stated as being William Reeves on his Marriage Certificate to my Grandmother.

I suppose if he did change his name to enlist then he could have just said his father was called William Reeves (As he is down a deceased on the marraige Cert!)

I wonder if the "Gunner" story is true?

I will be planning a visit to the National Archives will I be able to find out about his service record there including the boer war? (If it still exists)

Maybe even his address and date of birth? (If correct)

I also pondered why he married so late (at 41) but if he was a career soldier then that makes sense.

Card says 1899 enlistment I think.

I would really appreciate anything else anyone may uncover re my grandfather and also if there is anything I can find out anywhere else re his early service appertaining to him personally.

Would it help if I can post a picture of the actual dog tags?

Thanks again for all your help.

ps

What is a TF number

When you say Local Papers from the library do you mean the Local newspapers?

If so is there a particular time it might have happened i.e year of 1919?

What is an LSGC?

Cheers

Paul

He may well have joined around the time of the Boer War but that doesn't mean he was there, of course.

As a "Regular" soldier, not Territorial Force (TF) he would have had to be fully trained first, probably taking 6 months or more, then go overseas if that was where he was sent. He could have been to any of the places I listed above or none.

I think you are probably right with the 1899 enlistment date. He would have been about 17 then which would have been the minimum age for enlistment (and was in WW1, too). The minimum age for overseas duty was 19, so, provided he DIDN'T lie about his age, he would not have been eligible for overseas duty until 1901. If he was with the 1st Battalion, then he may have gone with them to Poona (now Pune) in India. Speculation, again...

For whatever reason he left the 1st Battalion, be it through ill health, injury, or just the fact that he had served the time he originally enlisted for (and excuse my probable error above), he ended up re-enlisting to a Territorial Force battalion - the Territorial Force (TF) were much like todays Territorial Army (TA). Before the War they were just like the TA, joining up to serve at home in the UK. By the time of the Somme in 1916, the many Territorial battalions were in the front lines in France, and many had fought in Gallipoli already in 1915. The lines between the various types of battalion had been blurred to the point of being erased.

His re-enlistment happened in January 1917, per Michael's post, and he would have been served in the UK for a while after that (length unknown). Since he had moved from a Regular Army battalion to a TF battalion he was given a new number (though the number is unknown). From 1st March 1917, the TF numbers were all reorganised and a new number was given to each soldier. These numbers were allocated in blocks to the battalions within a Regiment and you can identify which battalion they were allocated (though not necessarily the "sub-unit" e.g. you can identify 4th battalion but not whether 1/4th or 2/4th, etc.)

When he later went back to France (as it seems from the Battalion he joined) he was transferred to the 6th battalion which was a New Army battalion and as Jock Bruce has said, retained his earlier "TF" number.

LSGC = Long Service Good Conduct which was signified by "badges" which were worn as chevrons on the sleeve of the soldiers tunic, with point of the chevron pointing up the arm.

Yes, local papers was local newspapers for where he would have lived during that time. Though he may well have been wounded some time during 1918, I wouldn't restrict yourself to one year. It looks like William served through most of the War. It may take some time to wade through them all, but good hunting!

If you know where he was born I'll have a look for his family through the 1901 and 1891 Censuses, though maybe not until Wednesday as I'm a bit low on Internet time until 1st June!

Steve.

Guest Paul-r
He may well have joined around the time of the Boer War but that doesn't mean he was there, of course.

As a "Regular" soldier, not Territorial Force (TF) he would have had to be fully trained first, probably taking 6 months or more, then go overseas if that was where he was sent. He could have been to any of the places I listed above or none.

I think you are probably right with the 1899 enlistment date. He would have been about 17 then which would have been the minimum age for enlistment (and was in WW1, too). The minimum age for overseas duty was 19, so, provided he DIDN'T lie about his age, he would not have been eligible for overseas duty until 1901. If he was with the 1st Battalion, then he may have gone with them to Poona (now Pune) in India. Speculation, again...

For whatever reason he left the 1st Battalion, be it through ill health, injury, or just the fact that he had served the time he originally enlisted for (and excuse my probable error above), he ended up re-enlisting to a Territorial Force battalion - the Territorial Force (TF) were much like todays Territorial Army (TA). Before the War they were just like the TA, joining up to serve at home in the UK. By the time of the Somme in 1916, the many Territorial battalions were in the front lines in France, and many had fought in Gallipoli already in 1915. The lines between the various types of battalion had been blurred to the point of being erased.

His re-enlistment happened in January 1917, per Michael's post, and he would have been served in the UK for a while after that (length unknown). Since he had moved from a Regular Army battalion to a TF battalion he was given a new number (though the number is unknown). From 1st March 1917, the TF numbers were all reorganised and a new number was given to each soldier. These numbers were allocated in blocks to the battalions within a Regiment and you can identify which battalion they were allocated (though not necessarily the "sub-unit" e.g. you can identify 4th battalion but not whether 1/4th or 2/4th, etc.)

When he later went back to France (as it seems from the Battalion he joined) he was transferred to the 6th battalion which was a New Army battalion and as Jock Bruce has said, retained his earlier "TF" number.

LSGC = Long Service Good Conduct which was signified by "badges" which were worn as chevrons on the sleeve of the soldiers tunic, with point of the chevron pointing up the arm.

Yes, local papers was local newspapers for where he would have lived during that time. Though he may well have been wounded some time during 1918, I wouldn't restrict yourself to one year. It looks like William served through most of the War. It may take some time to wade through them all, but good hunting!

If you know where he was born I'll have a look for his family through the 1901 and 1891 Censuses, though maybe not until Wednesday as I'm a bit low on Internet time until 1st June!

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve and all.

There is another part to this puzzle you may be able to help with here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=33010

On the Uniforms, arms, insignia, equipment, medals. section entitled

Which Regiment?, Head and Hat shot

Can I also just briefly recap what you have said to make sure I understand and also raise some more questions.

Regarding Joining up and possibly being underage

He joined up in 1899. He would have probably been 17 or possibly 16 if born in 1882 (I think it says 1899 may well be 1898 as that small part of the card looks to be damaged)

If he was 17 then that was legal but he could not go overseas.

As there is def a story of underage in my family which fits perfectly for this scenario discovered by chance rather than design can I just ask for an "Opinion" on the following.

Does anyone know how easy it was to join up underage?

Would they use their own name and just lie about the age or is there likely to be a reason to change the name as well (and assume another identity)

Was anything checked out? I have read it was easy to join up underage in WW1.

I know the above is all supposition but what I am trying to get at is how much would be true if he lied to get signed up..he may have also lied about his age to be posted overseas as as an adult he was quite a big chap and may well have looked much older than his years. Any info/opinions on the underage thing would be appreciated and also any reasons against would be appreciated to as if he lied to start one suspects he would have had to go on lying right through his service and it appears life if he indeed wasnt born as William Reeves!

The rumour in the family def stated his surname was previously Gunner but sadly all of his family including my father are gone.

Is there a way I can possibly check where (Area) he enlisted?

Family History/Census

The reason I have gone down this military road is because I had no luck in the Census for him (As William Reeves)

The documents I have for him are his Marriage Certificate to Rosina May Terry in 1923. His occupation was listed as General Labourer, his age is listed as 41 at time of marriage. Marriage occured in Lewisham his father is down as William Reeves (Deceased) whose occupation is Scaffolder.

William JR lived at Pasco Rd Lewisham at this time.

I also have the Birth Cert of my Father (Williams son) Ronald Charles Reeves born in 1931 in Davenport Rd Lewisham.

Wiliiams Occupation at this time is Nightwatchman for borough council. William has a middle name on this cert and it is James.

So Lewisham are looks likely as a birth place as that is it seems where he returned to?

I have also done extensive research for William and have come accross births in Greenwich Deptford 1882 and 1880 in Camberwell and traced back a whole family from the Census (a William Born Peckham 1880)

I have also Just found a Willy born Deptford 1882...but of course if William did change gis name to join up all of this research is invalidated and I cannot find an 1882 Birth for a William in say Lewisham.

William ended his days as a Nightwatchman at 1 Canal Head Peckham I have his death cert and it sates he was 69 when he died in 1951.

Does anyone know what would happen if someone was overseas when a Census (1901) was taken in Britain?

Would they be listed any where as overseas?

Or if they were in Barracks in the UK would there be a note of them all, if so any likely Barrack in South London/Kent area??? :rolleyes:

Clarify some facts re service

Thank you for all of the detailed info.

I will have to sit down and read all of it carefully to take it all in and put in an order I can understand :rolleyes:

Have I got this right...

He joined up in 1899 or 98

He may or may not have fought in the Boer war if he was old enough

(Can I check which wars/campaigns he was in from his service record if it exists?)

Anyway he would have been given his number L/6104 at this time.

How could you tell he came back and joined a TF?

Is this shown anywhere on the cards?

Where did the new number 203864 come in?

Was that the TF number?

You say number unknown for 1817 re enlistment. How could you tell he came home to a TF and then Re enlisted in 1817 is that on the card somewhere? (I ask out of interest) or just a sumation?

Have you seen the original card here on the original post?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=32965

There is something on there that says 6.12.21 in the "Page" part is this a date or an index?

General Military

Any other links or places appart from the National Archives I can look also for other wars i.e Boer war that might shed some light on his actual service.

Also the Roll and page numbers on the 2 medal cards and action taken code on the second one.

am I likely to find out more from them (If they exist) if so what?

Please also take a look at this thread and see what you make of it as the smaller picture seems to indicate its our William in the picture?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=33010

Sorry for all the questions but this (and the Gunner story) has been puzzling me for years and I have finaly decided to do something about it and thanks to yourselves have got further than I imagined.

I have spent quite a lot of time (and also money tracking back based on the fact that this chap was William Reeves born 1882...(ignoring family rumour to the contrary) still there is no smoke without fire and I think these records are the only link that can possibly provide some earlier info on William.

Further Research

As it stands at the moment I need to

Confirm he was indeed born William Reeves around 1882 in which case I can continue the difficult hunt to identify him on this basis (After getting several possibly Birth Certificates and tracing families through the Census, incorrectly it appears at the moment) based on the fact his father was called William Reeves and that he used his correct name and has used his correct date of birth since

I suppose he may have changed his date of birth to 1882 in order to be 17 if he joined up in 1899

or

Confirm that he was indeed called William Gunner (Not much research done on this yet as only just indicated rumours may be true) and pursue that through Births/Deaths

or

Attempt to confirm that he did indeed lie about his age and change his name from something not Gunner in which case thus ends my research!

Well here is his entry in the 1914 star roll. Unfortunately it is blurred and I can't make out the bit under "Posted to 2/4 buffs 26-1-17"

Any ideas ?

Mick

post-174-1117533511.jpg

I just read your last post. The date on the MIC is the date that he recieved (or applied for - I can never remember) his clasp and roses for the 1914 star. This is confirmed on the medal roll shown above.

Also what is the significance of the Reaves / Reeves thing? Is it an army typo ?

Mick

I think :

"Do (ditto, Posted) 203864 Do (Ditto, Buffs) 18? TF Depot" ?

i.e. Posted 203864 (new number) Buffs 18? TF Depot.

Steve.

Guest Paul-r
I just read your last post. The date on the MIC is the date that he recieved (or applied for - I can never remember) his clasp and roses for the 1914 star. This is confirmed on the medal roll shown above.

Also what is the significance of the Reaves / Reeves thing? Is it an army typo ?

Mick

Thanks for posting the roll entry.

Would you be able to indicate what the colums signify?

so it goes

Number-Name-date recieved clasp and roses for 14 Star-then 26-1-1917 transfered to TF (With his new number? 203854 )

Not sure what the C-30.8.19 date is for in Blue or what the red writing says and the date of 6.12.21 is for?

Thanks

Paul