Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card continued thread Reaves

Guest Paul-r

Guest Paul-r
I think :

"Do (ditto, Posted) 203864 Do (Ditto, Buffs) 18? TF Depot" ?

i.e. Posted 203864 (new number) Buffs 18? TF Depot.

Steve.

Just want to say thanks again to you all.

I have sat down (and calmed down :rolleyes: ) and read through the posts and checked the net..I am beginning to understand it all now.

Thanks ever so much to Steve for that "Summary" it puts it into perspective. I appreciate your time and everyone elses.

I still have a few questions but will save them until everyone has finished with their comments/help.

Cheers

Paul

Guest Paul-r
Well here is his entry in the 1914 star roll. Unfortunately it is blurred and I can't make out the bit under "Posted to 2/4 buffs 26-1-17"

Any ideas ?

Mick

Hello Michael

Do you mind me asking how you got the medal roll entry?

I have been searching on the National Archive site and although the medal cards are seachable and viewable/ downloadable I cannot find any access to the Medal Roll entries.

Are they only available via a visit to Kew (Not online?)

Cheers

Paul

Paul

The medal rolls are only viewable at Kew. I've attached the top line of one of the pages.

The blue date is the date his medal was dispatched. The C means it was taken into stock (most enries are B - dispatched by post). The red date and letters indicate the date his clasp and roses (Cl+Roses) were issued. There is also the reference number for the issue voucher (IV), which at the moment I have no idea of its origin. Have a look at the mother site for details on the clasp and roses for the 1914 star.

Mick

post-174-1117639792.jpg

Edited by Michael

Guest Paul-r

Thank you Michael

I have been reading up a lot on here and the Mother site, plus the excellent stuff on this thread and and at The Nat Archives site etc and the mist is clearing :D

I found out about the Campaigns and the Divisions the Buff regiments were in (and Steve pointed out) from the Mother site and they proved fascinating reading.

Is there a way of telling if he ever got his medals etc or where they tried to deliver them? (2 "C" against the entries)

I will be planning a trip to Kew in the future.

I am checking up on what I may be able to access for my Grandfather

Looks like I may get lucky as there seems to be a few angles?

If I cant find the Service record there appears to be...

Pension/Medical Pension/Discharged twice!/Medal-Rolls/Lists/Attestations for earlier service. etc

I of course cant end without another question :rolleyes:

should there be another Roll for his other card with (Silver Badge on and British War & Victory Medal.

If so would they all be detailed on the 1 role or does each have its own entry on the role?

Also I would welcome any further observations on William Reeves and/or his record anyone can contribute/expand on.

Steve's Summary sounds good to me?

I know not strictly in the remit of this forum, but I have noted the attestations and The Queens South Africa Medal rolls from Steve earlier that should be availabe at Kew.

Is there anything else that I might be able to see that would detail what he was doing between 1899 and 1914 (15 years!)

Thanks again

Paul

There will be a roll for his BWM and VM. There will be another roll for his SWB.

The rolls for South Africa for the Buffs are at the NA. WO100/167 for the QSA and WO100/319 for the KSA. I've never looked at them so don't know how easy they are to navigate. There is also INDIA 1889-1902 in WO100/290.

I wouldn't assume that he was discharged when he went to the TF number. He may have been posted.

Happy hunting, I'm sure you'll find something at the NA.

Mick

Guest Paul-r

Thanks Mick I will look out for all.

I will chance my luck here..maybe... <_<

This may (or may not be) a picture of William Reeves/Reaves in question.

post-7148-1117712490.jpg

In case any of the sharp eyed among you can spot anything a miss in respect of the Cap badge (Apologies for small picture any larger and it distorts to much) being that of the Buffs?

I wouldnt mind knowing if it could be him as its the only possibility of a picture of him I have.

It was in a small locket left with my fathers affects when he died.

I have had a close look at a picture of a Buffs hat badge and it may or may not be correct as I am not familiar with other regiments hat badges enough to decide from the small picture if its correct or not

If its not a Buff badge either he wasnt a buff (in this picture) or it isnt William Reeves/Reaves.

Hope you do not mind me posting on this thread but its sort of related :rolleyes:

Thanks

Paul

Paul

The picture's small but (to me) it doesn't look like 'The Buffs'.

Steve

Guest Paul-r

Thanks Steve if it is William and its not the Buffs...not sure how this would affect the research.

Still have his enlistment date on the medal card so can probably still start from there not sure if he would have joined another regiment first or at some stage had the picture taken then re joined or then joined the the Buffs?

Is the uniform WW1 if so he would have been in at the beginning from the Medal Card with 14 Star and when the card was issued he was certainly a Buff.

The picture may of course not be William but it was in the same small box my dad had the Shoulder emblems and his grandfathers dog tags in so assumed it was his dad!

If it isnt then...no dont answer that one!

:o

Cheers

Paul

Paul

You may have got it.

My first impression when looking at the picture was that it was a crown surmounting 'something' but couldn't work out what that something was.

The other alternative was a fusilier regiment but again couldn't be sure.

Any chance you can get a closer picture?

Steve

Guest Paul-r

post-7148-1117745846.jpg

Hello Steve and all

I think I can now add basic picture editing to my new found skills...here goes

post-7148-1117745797.jpg

Would appreciate a positive idea..not Royal Artillery though?

While I was in the box I also found these and have copied the I set of Tags with the 2 4 buffs on

Anyone shed any light on these please?

post-7148-1117745948.jpg

Tags

post-7148-1117746050.jpg

I also found a Hankerchief withdesigns around the edges/border of various regiments emblems on...plain in the middle not sure if thats any significance?

Cheers

Paul

Guest Paul-r

Hello again

sorry for all the questions but I want to clear this up once and for all.

It looks like the Welsh regiment doesnt it?

Here is the a head shot and a picture of my grandmothers first husband PTE F Buggy killed in action aged 30. He was in the Welsh Regiment

The Hat badge of PTE F Buggy

post-7148-1117751009.jpg

Its def Welsh reg looks same as badge in "The William Reeves pic posted earlier"

Head shot of PTE F Buggy & "William"

post-7148-1117751084.jpg post-7148-1117751266.jpg

Could what I thought was William pic actually be PTE F Buggy my Nans first husband a younger and older pic...they look different and PTE Buggy looks older than 30 (When he died) but the badge says to me that the younger chap is not William but PTE Buggy after all :(

Mouth and ears look similar pictures are taken from a different angle...are they the same person?

You will be pleased to know I am running out of questions now so if I can clear these last few up it will get quiter!

Would appreciate opinions on this as if its not my grandfather then so be it...

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Badge is indeed the Welsh Regiment, so more than likely your Grandmother's first husband, Private Buggy.

Steve

Guest Paul-r

Thank you Steve

I am still looking at both those images and having trouble confirming they are the same man.

Evidence indicates they should be as no record of William ever being in the Welsh Regiment and he may not even have met my Grandmother until after the war as they were not married until 1923.

The image of PTE Buggy is from a picture with my Grandmother holding her hand so one would assume she would have a locket with him in while he was away also.

I think I will let this one lye now and just assume they are one of the same.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...

Hello All

I would just like to say thank you for all your help regarding my Grandfather.

I finaly got to the National Archive and found some info on WO/364.

Here are some details as the records were fairly extensive with lots of comings and goings (Which is great!)

He was allegedly born in Wrotham Kent (I can find no trace of this isn the civil resources)

It says he joined up in 1899 at Canterbury (Attested). I even know his chest size and what tattoos he had on his arm!

It says he was 19 Years and 8 months old at this time (I dont think this is right as no trace of him in the civil births at this age)

It says that he appears to already be in the 3rd Battalion The Buffs?

It also says in the question (10 & 11 on short service form) to wether he is currently serving something like "No: Excepting the militia I am now in" so I dont know what this means exactly or how I can tell what Militia it was or maybe theis Militia was attached in some way to regiment (Like the TA's?).

Although all is written as Reeves in the names, he signed as Reaves so maybe this is where the annomoly about the speling of his name on the medal cards comes in?

He served as follows

Home 30-10-99 to 07-06-00

S Africa 08-06-00 to 20-03-02

India 21-03-02 to 22-04-02*

Burma 23-04-02 to 11-12-02*

India 12-12-02 to 13-10-03*

Aden 14-10-03 to 21-11-04*

Home 22-11-04 to 01-06-05

S Africa 02-06-05 to 30-11-06

Home 01-12-06 to 01-11-14

BE Force 02-11-14 to 02-12-16??? diff to read

Home for 287 days

BEF? 23-09-17 to 20-12-17

Home 21-12-17 for 89 days

BEF? for 99 days

* Next to several of these entries that are gouped together its says

=2 8/12 total service is 18years 251 days

I think he was Wounded on 08-08-18 (cant read the other bits) also a ref number

C1656 HA2Y362

Yes you were right other medals in addition to WW!

S SAfrica 1899-01-02 With clasp Cape Colony

Orange Free state Transvaal

Kings Africa with star 1901-1902

1814 Star? (WW1?)

They seem to have run out of room in1916 for his postings etc (Unless there is another page missing?)

The records are really great but I dont understand some of it.

My questions are still

Where was he born? - He says Wrotham but no trace of him there.

Maybe he used this as its a bit obscure and if he was lying less trace of being found out?

When was he born? - He says about 1880 from the age, but I dont think this is right as his marriage cert and death cert equate to a birth date og 1882.

No obvious civil evidence of either.

He could have lied about his age...(Family rumour said he did)

He could have lied about his name? (A bit extreme but family rumour says it was "Gunner" and not Reeves)

Maybe he changed his first and second name!

Where did he live? - If he was born in West Kent, why did he join an East Kent Regiment? Maybe as less chance of being detected than in the West Kents (If he was from Wrotham)

He Already appears to be part of the Militia attached to this regiment so maybe he just lived close and that was why he joined the East kents?

He was discharged to Lewisham. I only know him from Lewisham. He joined up with the Buffs at Canterbury. Did he live in East Kent if so where?

His "Next of Kin" is listed as "Sister Kate living Brixton Middx"

Bit vague if they needed to contact her isnt it?

I have a feeling this man didnt want to be found :rolleyes:

I am going back to Kew in case I can find anything else out maybe in WO97?

I didnt get a chance to look at the WW1 medal rolls for him so will do that to...

Also again you were right!

In addition to the L/6104 and 203854 numbers there was another 205743 not sure of the significance of this?

If anyone has any other ideas please chip in, but thanks to you I have found some valuable info so the least I can do if report back! :D

Cheers

Paul

Paul

I've just realised that I've replied to your post regarding the militia on another forum. Have a look at the forum because I've found another couple of possible leads for you

Mick

Hello Mick I thought it was you on this site who helped in the past here

you are a star!

I was just goingt to the other forum to post a message!

Yes you were spot on WO96/41 Its Reeves and Wrotham and my Grandfather.

Even the chap on the desk there wasnt familiar with WO96.

I have another number 5544

I also got all his medal card print outs.

It says on his Militia Attestation -Where do you now reside - St Peters Canterbury

Where have you last resided for the last 12 months

Looks like Charham or Chatham and Parish of North Kingsdown?

I have just got back from Kew so I need to look at it.

He joined the £rd Bat East Kent on 02 May 1899 and it says he was 20 and 2 nonths

I still cant find him on the civil Census for 1891 or 1881 but as I said there is something not right about the ages and his name which I may never find out.

While at the Kent Centre for Family Research I noticed a place called Stansted near Wrotham, so tried the parish registers for that area and there were Reeves and Gunners and even a Marriage of a William Gunner to a Sarah Reeves with a son called William (Who subsequently died in 1887).

I thought this was a bit of a co incedance.

However...

Frustrated at the lack of a next of Kin section on the form I noticed there was writing on the back page of a lot of the forms....

On Wiliam Reeves form it just said..

Horse & Groom

Stanstead

Nr Wrotham

Kent

I think he owes us all a pint!

I certainly owe you one Mick and all the rest of you who helped.

I think rhats it from an Army point of view now for William.

I dont think he wanted to be found.

If anyone has any other ideas about tracing him please let me know. The reason I started down the military line was I really wanted to be able to go back to find out his parents for Family History purposes (and still do)

I really have enjoyed the Military side and never in a million years expected to find so much information about his service, without which I wouldnt even have known where he was born!

I will cross post this on the other Forum Mick.

Thank you all again

Paul

Wait a mo

Have just noticed he got his age wrong!

On the Regiments Short service for I had earlier it says

age 19 and 8 Months on 30 Oct 1899

On the Militia attestation it says 20 and 2 months on 02 May 1899

Something not right there as he would have joined the Militia first I think?

Cheers

Paul

Wait a mo

Have just noticed he got his age wrong!

On the Regiments Short service for I had earlier it says

age 19 and 8 Months on 30 Oct 1899

On the Militia attestation it says 20 and 2 months on 02 May 1899

Something not right there as he would have joined the Militia first I think?

Cheers

Paul

There is exactly 1 years difference in the ages given. The recruit would not necessarily state what his exact age was but would more likely give his DoB leaving the possibility of a mathematical error on the part of the recruiting Sergeant.

Andy

Hello All

Just wondered if anyone could give a general answer on the following.

Looking at the service record above, where would a soldior live when he came back home from abroad?

There seems to be periods ranging from 99 days to more than 7 years whn he was at home.

I am thinking if they were still on service then maybe barracks but if in reserve at home.

Cheers

Paul

He would be in barracks or the regimental depot if a regular and at home if he was a reservist.

Andy

Thanks Andy

William above was a regular but was put on reserve for 7 years odd after.

Home 01-12-06 to 01-11-14

And then re called.

I suppose he would have had a home somewhere over this period.

How can I find out where the Depots & Barracks were for the East Kent Regiment?

I assume Canterbury was where the Barracks were.

Any ideas wher William might have been when a regular in between postings overseas?

I have some Depot's I think on my records like "18" any way of finding out trhe numbers and locations for the period I am interested in?

Cheers

Paul