Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Help Please

Guest Paul-r

Guest Paul-r

post-7148-1117237567.jpg

Hello

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the following.

I have looked at the very good page on Medal Cards but still have a couple of questions.

The attachment contains a Medal Card for a W Reeves L/6106

I can tell he had he 14 Star but wondered what the entry was just under it?

Is it another Medal?

Also in the remarks section it says something and refers to a number which is also on the second set of dog tags I have for him.

I dont know also if there is a way of telling where he saw action from this card.

Also his name is spelled Reaves on the card but is actually Reeves

On his dog tags it says 24Buffs.

I would appreciate any info.

It looks like he has transferred from the Regular Army to the Territorial Force; the details on the dog tag refer to 2/4th Buffs, which only served in the UK. I would also say there is another MIC for this man somewhere for his British War & Victory medals.

It looks like the remarks section reads "new no." 203854 which is a number that was allocated to the 4th Battalion of the Buffs when the Territorial Force was renumbered on 1-3-1917. However, neither the 1/4th or 2/4th battalions went to France.

In fact, only the 1st Battalion went to France before the end of 1914, so W Reaves would probably have been with them, at least at the start of the war.

Is it a possibility that he may have been injured at some point and medically downgraded and transferred to a Reserve Battalion?

There is a Medal Card for William Reeves, East Kent Regiment 203854 here:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=32

Have you looked at that one?

The 2 MICs seem to be connected, but you may need to download that one as well!

The Clasp to the 1914 Star was awarded to those men who had the 1914 Star and "came under fire" during the qualifying period (up to 22-11-1914)

Sorry if this raises more questions than answers...

Steve.

Sorry, Paul. Was posting as I searched. I wasn't just parroting what you said.

At least we agreed!

Steve.

The reference to Clasp shows that he was awarded the Bar to the 1914 Star.

the 'cl' after it refers to this clasp, '& R' is for 'and Roses'. A rose was sown onto the ribbon when it was worn without the medal to show that the clasp had been sanctioned.

Guest Paul-r

post-7148-1117309713.gifpost-7148-1117309713.gif

It looks like he has transferred from the Regular Army to the Territorial Force; the details on the dog tag refer to 2/4th Buffs, which only served in the UK. I would also say there is another MIC for this man somewhere for his British War & Victory medals.

Thank you all very much!

I have been to the link and downloaded the additional document I had not seen before.

I will attach it...and yes he lost a leg in combat.

Could someone please explain what this new card means and where can I find out more about him his injury etc etc and where he served?

Thanks again

Paul

Guest Paul-r

Hello

The attachment didnt work I will try again on a new thread as it keeps saying I dont have enough space to add the other I have tried diff formats of file but not working

Guest Paul-r
Hello

The attachment didnt work I will try again on a new thread as it keeps saying I dont have enough space to add the other I have tried diff formats of file but not working

Have done as requested and downloaded the image on the link.

any ideas? :blink: