Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment - The Wirral Pals

abbrover

Hello all,

I have been researching the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment for the past 30 years or so. Over those years, I have accumulated a lot of information and have individual photographs (some excllent, some good, and some poor) of about 70-80% of the original lads of the Wirral Pal's; I also have about 90-95% of photographs of the battalions graves/places of commemoration (just a few more to get from far flung lands); and from the Nominal Roll of the Wirral Pal's first draft to be sent to France on 25th September, 1915, - and with the excellent help from a special friend - managed to track down documents for not only those men listed on this document, but also for 90% of those that were discharged whilst in training on medical grounds, which are indicated by gaps in the numbering of the Pals on the Nominal Roll. I have absolutely loved working on the research into this battalion.

If there are any of you who are maybe researching a war memorial or researching somebody from this battalion, I would be happy to help.

Likewise, if there is anybody out there that has photos of the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment in training or on the Western Front, I would be very interested to hear from you.

Kindest regards

Pete Threlfall 

img025.jpg

865.jpg

Copy of IMG_8125 (2).jpg

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG

W75 Sergeant James Joseph McNally No.4 Coy KIA.JPG

W261 Sgt Paul Forrester Mo.1 Coy. KIA 28.08.16.JPG

W856 Private George Jackson No.4 Coy DOW 23rd May, 1916.JPG

W418 LCpl William George Hughes No.2 Coy Killed in action 13th May, 1916.JPG

Hello Cheshire22

W/1069 Private Thomas Shore was born in Bilston, Staffordshire, in 1883, the son of William and Ann Maria Shore. By 1911 he was living at 15, Livingstone Road, Ellesmere Port, with his wife, 3x daughters, 1x son, and a relative, and was employed by the Wolverhampton Corrugated Iron Works as a Labourer. His brother was W/1068 Private William Shore who was killed in action attacking Ovillers on 7th July 1916. Both brothers served in No.3 Company. Thomas had enlisted at Ellesmere Port on 4th September 1914, and prior to working at the WCIW, he had served an apprenticeship at Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss, and had previously served for 6 years with the 3rd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment. He married Miss Susan Priest at All Saint's Church, Wolverhampton, on 3rd August 1902, and by December 1914, had a total of 6 children. After he had enlisted into the 13th Cheshire's, he went on to train with the battalion at Perham Downs, Codford, Bournemouth, Hursley, Finchampstead, and Aldershot, before being sent to France on 25th September 1915. On 22nd August 1916, he received a gunshot wound to his right eye and cheek, and subsequently invalided back to England, and admitted to the London General Hospital, Camberwell on 18th September 1916 (he had clearly been sent to other hospitals before hand, but I could not find them). He was discharged from the army as being no longer physically fit for war service on 25th April 1917.

Hope this helps

Pete

Hello Jamie

I have seen this photo before, and the gentleman on the left is W/693 Private Samuel Colclough (No.3 Coy.), who was also from Ellesmere Port. It was taken in the field when Codford Camp was a tented camp before they built the wooden one.

Regards

Pete

2 minutes ago, Cheshire22 said:

Did you know it was the the two brothers?

From what I’ve been told that the guy on the right as you look at the photo is a Willie Shore and is a relation of mine.  

it’s the only information, I’ve been told as it was in the procession of my late Uncle who died in May 23 

so what information do you have on 1068 Willie Shore and this Samuel Colclough 

Born Whiyby, Ellesmere Port 1897, and lived at 3, Stanney Lane, Whitby, Ellesmere Port. Was the son of James and Hannah Colclough, and worked in a sheet rolling mill as an apprentice fitter. Sent to France 25th September 1915. Subsequently transferred to the 1st/6th (Stockport) Bn Cheshire Regiment, and was killed in action on 26th July 1917. Buried in Plot 8, Row B, Grave 4, Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, Belgium.

Hello again all

I have spent many years collating the information I have on the men of the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment, and sincerely don't mind helping anybody out with inquiries, but if I do help you out, the minimum I ask of you is to have the manners and courtesy to say thank you. 

Thank you

Pete

I suspect that I may have mentioned this before, if not to Peter, but to someone else in the GWF, but I have Codford postcards of the 13th going on parade and of No 4 Coy's hut with Christmas decorations, both published by Davies of New Ferry. I might even have posted copies of them.

Ah! Googling led me to this old thread of 2007.

23 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

I suspect that I may have mentioned this before, if not to Peter, but to someone else in the GWF, but I have Codford postcards of the 13th going on parade and of No 4 Coy's hut with Christmas decorations, both published by Davies of New Ferry. I might even have posted copies of them.

Ah! Googling led me to this old thread of 2007.

Good morning Moonraker

Many thanks for responding to my post.

I have the one in the hut, but would be interested in seeing the others if at all possible?

Kindest regards

Pete

Peter, 

Thank you for your information, so far. 

I've asked my cousins, if they have any other information on this Willie Shore and it seems that he may have died in July 1916.  I have found on the CWGC website a 1068 Private W Shore and could be a relation, what information do have about him. 

There is another cousin, which lives aboard, who may have further information, but trying to contact her, emails have gone unanswered 

Jamie

1 hour ago, Cheshire22 said:

Peter, 

Thank you for your information, so far. 

I've asked my cousins, if they have any other information on this Willie Shore and it seems that he may have died in July 1916.  I have found on the CWGC website a 1068 Private W Shore and could be a relation, what information do have about him. 

There is another cousin, which lives aboard, who may have further information, but trying to contact her, emails have gone unanswered 

Jamie

Morning Jamie

Thank you.

See attached

W1068.JPG

2 hours ago, abbrover said:

Good morning Moonraker

Many thanks for responding to my post.

I have the one in the hut, but would be interested in seeing the others if at all possible?

Kindest regards

Pete

Codford-Cheshire1.jpg.89b0c213db97e189dbf26534791d8d38.jpg

Codford - Cheshire 2.jpg

I've also just acquired a card sent from Codford on October 7, 1914 by J Shepherd 13386, B Coy No 6 Camp to a Runcorn address. He may not have belonged to the 13th, though?

Hello Moonraker

Thank you for sending these photos.

The top one and bottom two are definitely 13th Bn Cheshire Regiment, but the group photo 41a is almost certainly 10th or 11th Bn Cheshire Regiment. Private Sheppard belonged to one of these battalions, and not the 13th.

Appreciate you sending them. Is it ok to use them for my research?

Kindest regards

Pete

Pete: Please use the cards as you wish. I thought that the caps in 41a might have indicated the men weren't in the 13th. I shall amend my captions to the third and fourth cards.

(I've been collecting "military Wiltshire"cards since 1996, since when I've learned a great deal, and revising my early - and some recent - captions is an on-going exercise.)

Hello Moonraker

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm currently on night shifts with my job.

Thank you very kindly for permission to be able to use your cards (they are excellent!) - very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Pete

On 05/10/2023 at 12:02, abbrover said:

Morning Jamie

Thank you.

See attached

W1068.JPG

Peter, 

thank you for the photo,  what other information do you have on William Shore aka Willie Shore

Jamie

William Shore was born in Wolverhampton (or Bilston, Staffordshire) on 29th August 1887, the son of William and Ann Maria Shore. He married Miss Louisa Wallace in Wolverhampton, in December 1905, and the couple went on to have three children (by 1911): William (Born 12th July 1906), Joseph (born 9th August 1908), and Louisa (born 16th November 1912). In 1911, he was living at 25, Highfield Road, Ellesmere Port, and was employed as a Labourer. Between 1911 - 1914, he and his young family had moved to Wallasey, and lived at 32, Demesne Street, Seacombe, and was employed as an Iron Monger/Worker. He enlisted at Wallasey on 7th September 1914 (whilst this date is possible, I think it could be earlier, as this date was when the battalion was formed up for the first time in Chester). He trained at all the same places mentioned earlier, and was sent to France with his battalion on 25th September 1915, and went on to be recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, but was only given a Mentioned In Dispatches". He was killed in action attacking Ovillers on 7th July 1916, and was subsequently buried in Plot 13, Row O, Grave 8, Ovillers Military Cemetery, France.

Pete

Here are a few more 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment photos for you all to see. I am very keen on collecting any photos of this battalion.

Kindest regards

Pete

P1030112.JPG

14907206_686036091546534_3738526672639221777_n.jpg

P1050876.JPG

20140423_300_Nikon.JPG

P1070333.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

16 hours ago, abbrover said:

Jamie

William Shore was born in Wolverhampton (or Bilston, Staffordshire) on 29th August 1887, the son of William and Ann Maria Shore. He married Miss Louisa Wallace in Wolverhampton, in December 1905, and the couple went on to have three children (by 1911): William (Born 12th July 1906), Joseph (born 9th August 1908), and Louisa (born 16th November 1912). In 1911, he was living at 25, Highfield Road, Ellesmere Port, and was employed as a Labourer. Between 1911 - 1914, he and his young family had moved to Wallasey, and lived at 32, Demesne Street, Seacombe, and was employed as an Iron Monger/Worker. He enlisted at Wallasey on 7th September 1914 (whilst this date is possible, I think it could be earlier, as this date was when the battalion was formed up for the first time in Chester). He trained at all the same places mentioned earlier, and was sent to France with his battalion on 25th September 1915, and went on to be recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, but was only given a Mentioned In Dispatches". He was killed in action attacking Ovillers on 7th July 1916, and was subsequently buried in Plot 13, Row O, Grave 8, Ovillers Military Cemetery, France.

Pete

Pete, 

thank you for this, soldiers died shows he enlisted at Ellesmere Port 

now I will have to try and work out the connection between this Samuel Colclough and Willie / William Shore 

jamie