Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment - The Wirral Pals

abbrover

The attached images are that of W/532 Private William Proctor 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment. Originally from Barrow-in-Furness, he walked from there looking for work until he reached Port Sunlight, where he obtained a job in Messrs. Lever Brothers. He would go on to serve with the Wirral Battalion until he was wounded in the shoulder during the Battle of The Somme, and was then invalided back home. On recovery he was sent back to France, and served with the 15th and 1st/6th Bn's Cheshire Regiment. William Proctor became Britain's oldest man having attained the age of 109!

Pete

P1040765.JPG

Prince Charles photo.JPG

P1040705.JPG

Wow a great story and great man Thanks Pete for sharing!

Tony

In 2010 I was walking through Flaybrick Hill Cemetery, Birkenhead, and stopped to pause and contemplate at a grave where I knew my Great, Great Uncle Edward Lawton was buried. The grave was marked by a CWGC headstone to 16032 Private James Wall 12th Bn Cheshire Regiment, but otherwise it was an unmarked public grave with 6 people buried in it (including Edward Lawton and James Wall). I knew that Edward Lawton lived in Birkenhead, roughly when he died (October 1918), that he was about 30 years of age, and that he was definitely related to me......and that was all. Curiosity got the better of me, and I asked my business partner and good friend Judith Beastall if she could do a search on line for any possible military service, as Edward Lawton was - at the time - of an age to enlist.

As I have made known on the above post's, I have had a passionate interest in the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment - The Wirral Pal's - and have accumulated a tone of information, documents, and photographs dealing with this battalion. So it will come as no surprise that I nearly fell over when Judith came back to me very quickly and said," You're not going to believe this, but Ed (as we affectionately refer to him as) was an original Wirral Pal!!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and could not wait to get my nose into my 13th Cheshire notes. In amongst my records I found that he had indeed served with the battalion. I was so excited!

W/1239 Private Edward Lawton had been born in Runcorn on 29th February 1888, the son of John Henry and Emma Lawton. When he was a boy his family moved and settled in Birkenhead, and on13th February 1909 he married Miss Anne Aspinall at St. Lawrence's Church, Birkenhead, and the couple went on to have 6 children: James - born 29th October 1909; Hannah - born 1910 - died 1912; John - born 30th June 1912; Harriet - born 13th May 1916; Robert - born 30th July 1917 - died 1918; and Edward - born 21st July, 1918. By 1914, Ed Lawton was employed as a Brick Layer's Labourer, and was living at 113, St. Anne's Street, Birkenhead.

On 29th December 1914 he presented himself for enlistment at Birkenhead, and was sent to join the ranks of the No.1 Coy (which is strange, as this company consisted mostly of men from Wallasey) 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment. His brother-in-law W/1166 Private Robert Aspinall served in No.2 Coy. On completion of his training he left Folkestone with his battalion for France on 25th September 1915, and went on to serve with it throughout its service in the line at Le Touquet Salient, Vimy Ridge, and the Somme, before moving north again, to the Ploegsteert sector. Here, on 7th November 1916, a shell exploded very close to him, killing 52070 Private Albert Griffiths (buried in Plot 1, Row J, Grave 9, Berks Cemetery Extension, Ploegsteert, Belgium), and wounding Ed Lawton - the wound causing a Cerebral Hemorrhage. He was admitted to 75th Field Ambulance on the same day, followed by the 1st Canadian Casualty Clearing Station on 12th November 1916, before being admitted to 6th Stationary Hospital, Wimereux, on 12th November 1916.  Ed Lawton was invalided home on board the Hospital Ship Jan Breydel on 20th November 1916. When he was first admitted here he was unable to speak, was very dull, could not answer any questions intelligently. However, by March, 1917 his condition improved enough for him to return to his old job as a Brick Layers Labourer. Ed Lawton was finally discharged as being no longer physically fit for war service on 2nd May 1918, and his army pension began the following day. Sadly, he died of pneumonia on 16th October 1918, and was buried in Flaybrick Hill Cemetery, Birkenhead.

His brother-in-law W/1166 Private Robert Aspinall was wounded in late 1915, early 1916, and invalided back to England.

Back to the present..............because he was discharged to an army pension, this got me thinking that Ed Lawton would still be entitled to a CWGC headstone, so, following inquiries with the CWGC, I was asked to provide proof of Ed Lawton's military service and proof that I am related to him, which fortunately I was able to do. Eventually the CWGC came back to me and confirmed that he was indeed entitled to one of their headstones. Then there followed a two year wait for the headstone to be engraved at the CWGC Northern France Headquarters, and then to be transported to Birkenhead. By 4th September 2013, the new headstone had been erected, and I could not wait to go and see it. In the meantime, I had been arranging a dedication service, and had a lot of help from Major T. E. Pickering (Retd.) - the Cheshire Regiment Association Secretary, who arranged for a Bugler and Guard of Honour from the Mercian Regiment, who had just returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan, and members of the CRA to attend. I had also asked my Regimental Padre if he would conduct the service, which he readily agreed to do. Their were also in attendance my wife, two son's, and friends and members of my branch of the Western Front Association.

I hope that W/1239 Private Edward Lawton looks down from upon high with an approving eye.

Pete Threlfall

IMG_4102.JPG

P1030077.JPG

FlaybrickServicePH191013-1 (2).jpg

_DSC3229.jpg

_DSC3230.jpg

IMG_9475.JPG

FlaybrickServicePH191013-5 (2).jpg

Well Done again Pete a true supporter of the Cheshires

Tony

On 14/10/2023 at 07:59, abbrover said:

Thanks for that, mate - I've sent him a message. Interesting to note his avatar is the one we think is William Shore. Lets see what Alan says.

Alan's Avatar is definitely Samuel Colclough, not William Shore. See this post from 2019 :

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/273964-samuel-colclough/#comment-2786266

BillyH.

8 hours ago, BillyH said:

Alan's Avatar is definitely Samuel Colclough, not William Shore. See this post from 2019 :

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/273964-samuel-colclough/#comment-2786266

BillyH.

Then both you and I are wrong about the newspaper photo being William Shore, and the lad on the left of the photograph (two pipe-smoking lads outside the tent at Codford) is William Shore??

Pete

9 minutes ago, abbrover said:

Then both you and I are wrong about the newspaper photo being William Shore, and the lad on the left of the photograph (two pipe-smoking lads outside the tent at Codford) is William Shore??.........Or Alan Gregson is wrong.

Pete

gwf.jpg.dd5353213fc24c14af411028596f80db.jpg

W1068 Private William Shore No.3 Coy. KIA 7th July, 1916.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

21 hours ago, abbrover said:

gwf.jpg.dd5353213fc24c14af411028596f80db.jpg

W1068 Private William Shore No.3 Coy. KIA 7th July, 1916.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

I’ve had a friend who has an interest in photography for over 30 years looked at the above photos and she agrees they are 3 different men 

also another friend who worked in photography recognition for the RAF for 20 years and who now works for the MOD in Liverpool.  Also states, these are photos of 3 different men.  

both I have known for over 20 years and these two people were asked separately and they have never met

1 hour ago, Cheshire22 said:

I’ve had a friend who has an interest in photography for over 30 years looked at the above photos and she agrees they are 3 different men 

also another friend who worked in photography recognition for the RAF for 20 years and who now works for the MOD in Liverpool.  Also states, these are photos of 3 different men.  

both I have known for over 20 years and these two people were asked separately and they have never met

I work for the MOD in Liverpool, and have spent over 30 years studying photographs from the Great War. Billy H has spent a long time studying photos from this battalion for many years.

I'm moving away from this section of my post, as we are going around in circles.

This photograph was taken on 7th September 1914, when the Port Sunlight contingent of the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment when the lads were being marched to Port Sunlight Station, to catch a train to Chester.

zz150414sunlight-1.jpg

10882385_847003242008181_3522738198596230536_n.jpg

stationtram1903.jpg

8 hours ago, abbrover said:

I work for the MOD in Liverpool, and have spent over 30 years studying photographs from the Great War. Billy H has spent a long time studying photos from this battalion for many years.

I'm moving away from this section of my post, as we are going around in circles.

This is opinion of my two friends and Jack, I think works just by the town hall in Liverpool.  Spent years in aircraft, airfield recognition for the RAF 

1 minute ago, Cheshire22 said:

This is opinion of my two friends and Jack, I think works just by the town hall in Liverpool.  Spent years in aircraft, airfield recognition for the RAF 

I probably know him, but MOD not there now

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2023 at 10:34, Cheshire22 said:

Peter, 

Thank you for your information, so far. 

I've asked my cousins, if they have any other information on this Willie Shore and it seems that he may have died in July 1916.  I have found on the CWGC website a 1068 Private W Shore and could be a relation, what information do have about him. 

There is another cousin, which lives aboard, who may have further information, but trying to contact her, emails have gone unanswered 

Jamie

Any updates on this

as I’ve been in contact with my cousin aboard and states there are no William/ Willie Shore on the family tree.  I’ve put her in touch with my cousins, to work out how it maybe 

Jamie

On 05/10/2023 at 10:34, Cheshire22 said:

Peter, 

Thank you for your information, so far. 

I've asked my cousins, if they have any other information on this Willie Shore and it seems that he may have died in July 1916.  I have found on the CWGC website a 1068 Private W Shore and could be a relation, what information do have about him. 

There is another cousin, which lives aboard, who may have further information, but trying to contact her, emails have gone unanswered 

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

@abbrover, Unsure whether to start a new topic or respond to this.  As you wrote a book on 13th Battalion (Cheshires), did you assess how the Lever brothers themselves were behaving to those who didn't volunteer?  I always found them interesting men (Levers) as they had distinct and different business practices and behaviours.  Did you use the archives at Lever Brothers/Unilever to research your book?  The fact that Port Sunlight has a specific war memorial for its employees who were killed in both World Wars means that many of them had the distinction of being on two memorials - the other being their town/village memorial.

I don't know how it could be done, but when you have group photos of the battalion in various poses/guises, did you or were you able to identify each men within the pictures?

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

@abbrover, Unsure whether to start a new topic or respond to this.  As you wrote a book on 13th Battalion (Cheshires), did you assess how the Lever brothers themselves were behaving to those who didn't volunteer?  I always found them interesting men (Levers) as they had distinct and different business practices and behaviours.  Did you use the archives at Lever Brothers/Unilever to research your book?  The fact that Port Sunlight has a specific war memorial for its employees who were killed in both World Wars means that many of them had the distinction of being on two memorials - the other being their town/village memorial.

I don't know how it could be done, but when you have group photos of the battalion in various poses/guises, did you or were you able to identify each men within the pictures?

Hello MrX

My book on the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment isn't done yet, and, although very interesting, I am more focused on those that enlisted and formed the battalion. Believe it or not, the Unilever/Lever Brothers Archive has very little in the way of 13th Cheshire's material other than what is mentioned in the company magazine. There are many who are commemorated on the Port Sunlight memorial who are commemorated on multiple other memorials. I have identified many men in the battalion from many group photographs I have, but this can be quite a long winded process when it comes to cross referencing with others.

Do you have a particular interest in the battalion?

14 hours ago, abbrover said:

Hello MrX

My book on the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment isn't done yet, and, although very interesting, I am more focused on those that enlisted and formed the battalion. Believe it or not, the Unilever/Lever Brothers Archive has very little in the way of 13th Cheshire's material other than what is mentioned in the company magazine. There are many who are commemorated on the Port Sunlight memorial who are commemorated on multiple other memorials. I have identified many men in the battalion from many group photographs I have, but this can be quite a long winded process when it comes to cross referencing with others.

Do you have a particular interest in the battalion?

Can you clarify, was the 13th primarily a Port Sunlight battalion or a Lever Brothers works battalion?  The version I have heard was that one of the Lever brothers wasn't going to allow a business opportunity go to waste - British soldiers would need soap and Sunlight would be the supplier.  As the workers in Port Sunlight had their homes tied to their work, would a lot of men have been fearful of losing their job and home if they didn't sign up?

Hello Mr X

There were approximately 700 men who enlisted from Port Sunlight - predominantly from Messrs. Lever Brothers, so - in a way - you could I suppose say that the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment was primarily a battalion from Port Sunlight. It was definitely not a Port Sunlight Battalion or Lever Brothers Works battalion. Sir William Hesketh Lever positively encouraged his employees to enlist. There was no pressure at all on those men who chose to do so, and their jobs were kept open for when they returned. The Lever Brother's men, and those joining from most of the other towns/villages on the Wirral, formed No's 2,3, and 4 Companies, but No.1 Company was formed of men from Wallasey.

9 hours ago, Cheshire22 said:

@abbrover any reply received from the trenchrat about the photos 

Trenchrat confirmed that the soldier on the right with his hands on his hips is his relative is Sam Colclough, but doesn't think that the other bloke is any of the Shore brothers.

• 4 weeks later...

Morning Pete. What a wonderful record you have. I've loved looking at your photos. Today I am starting on a project for a friend to research the story of Alan John Wharton, her Dad's brother. Fortunately Alan's service records have survived and together with the war diary, I should be able to piece much of it together. We are going on a "following in the footsteps journey" once I have finished.  Alan joined up in March 1915 (3/5 Cheshire), then was transferred to 4th Reserve Bn. in Sept 1916. He arrived at Rouen in Dec 1916 and within a fortnight was posted to the 13th Cheshire's. He was killed at Westhoek Ridge on 10th August, 1917. It would be wonderful if you had any information or photos post Dec 1916 that you could share. His Reg.No. was 50094. Many thanks Pete.

Morning Chris

Sounds like an interesting project.

13th Cheshire's were in the line in the Ploegsteert Sector until early February 1917, when it was relieved and went into Divisional Reserve at places such as Nieppe, St.Omer, Caestre, Campagne, Acquin, Ebblingham, to undertake training, before returning to Ploegsteert towards the end of March 1917. They provided working parties for the forward and front line areas. Continued training at Le Grand Beaumart, and on 13th April 1917, moved to Neuve Eglise, from were it provided working parties for the Wulverghem Sector. Returned to front-line duties on 25th April 1917 in the St Quentin Cabaret Sector. At the end of April 1917, they were sent back into Divisional Reserve for training at Grand Beaumart,   and in early May 1917 moved up into Brigade Reserve, and took over the Wulverghem Sector. Towards the end of the month they were pulled out of the line to commence build up training for the Battle of Messines, and moved up to their front-line area on 5th June 1917. Took part in the battle, which they were very successful in, and which Private Wharton would have definitely have taken part in. They remained in the forward area until 14th June 1917, only to return on 17th. They were relieved again on 22nd June 1917, and would be out of the line for most of July 1917. The 13th Cheshire's moved up onto the Bellewarde Ridge on 5th August 1917, and took part in yet another very successful attack on 10th August, but sustained a total of 372 casualties.

Hope this helps

Kindest regards

Pete

Thanks for the excellent summary Pete. I am working my way through the war diaries and am getting a clear idea of where to visit. A couple of questions that you may be able to help with. Do you know the Ploegsteert Wood position in December 1916? Unfortunately the diary has no coordinates. Just before going into battle at Messines they are at the concentration area at Breemerschen. I can't find this location either on old or current maps. 

Best regards.

Chris.